My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLA 112 ???

good to know...i still wouldnt buy one right away, thats just me
Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 PM
edwal07

Well someone has got to do the dirty work or take the risk. I got it to do just that. If it turns out to be a great engine, then I guess I can take some of the credit for proving the engine, if it dosen't then I will get credit for letting others know it is not worth it, either way it is a win win, I enjoy doing this type of stuff, that's part of the hobby. It's like snow or water sking, if you don't fall, your not learning a darn thing, and your not trying to improve on the basics.
Just imagine where this hobby would be if no one took the chances to try and do and to prove that a device, airplane, radio, servo, etc......would work. Go figure!!!!!!!!!
Ed
Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 PM
diamondave

i agree, im just not in a position financialy to take that chance, i'll rely on people like you...thats what these forums are for
Old 02-08-2010, 08:57 AM
edwal07

I have always been one to push the limits. I have always tried to do new things and learn something about everything I have encountered. Jack of all trades master of none.....well some. Anyway have a good day. Will keep everyone updated on my results.
Ed
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM
diamondave

hey if its free i will try anything once....i do want to hear how this motor is...i have a zdz100 in a big yak that is slightly underpowered for what i want to do, the DA120 would be the ideal answer but its just too much $$ for me, so ive been realy eyeing the dle111, half the price of the 120, but this 112 could be another option to consider if all is well with them
Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Ronny Hightower
My Feedback: (1)

Well, I will tell you all in a few weeks or months. I just put a dla 112 on a 33% edge. I did talk to the rep and watched a video of it running. He convinced me he would stand behind the product and the way I looked at it was for the price it was worth a little gamble.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:31 AM
diamondave

cool
Old 02-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Stick2000

Hi all,

I see Hobby City has the DLA's for sale. They are priced about $20.00 less than the
DLE and they are in stock (DLA 56, DLA 112). If nothing else they look pretty!

Stick2K
Old 02-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Ronny Hightower

Got one flight in on my 112 and it was uneventful but was so rich it was a little sluggish. I am going to lean it a little and keep breaking it in
Old 03-12-2010, 07:37 PM
RenoSportFlyer
My Feedback: (2)

Any update on how the DLA 112 is running?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:08 PM
betomagno

Curious about that results...

DLA looks great and clean...
Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM
diamondave

yeh i wonder if ronnie got any more time on it, or if it was bad he's not saying?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Ronny Hightower

Weather has been bad guys, but after I was sent a new ignition it purred like a lion. I left it very rich but would hoover my 35% Edge at less than 1/2 power. I was very relieved. I hope to fly more this week as our forecast looks great. I will say one thing for the guy I bought it from, he has been very proactive and answered my emails in minutes. I have learned how to start it, which always seems to be a learning process. Mine needs to be pretty wet to get it going. I can start it in just a few throws of the prop now and life seems good for the moment.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Never had a change of heart. I've never supported the DLA brand in any way.

The only place I recall commenting about them was in another forum and I don't recall those comments to be favorable. I have concerns about a company that might be sitting within a few blocks of the one they copied their product from trying to get in the game and under sell the original brand. I don't know they aren't pulling rejected parts from a dumpster and assembling them for sale outside their own country. Polishing up an exterior only makes them pretty, not run reliably, better, or longer. Same effects to be had with a little powder coating or anodizing, which has been used to generate sales with some other low quality Chinese products. It's what's inside an engine that makes it do the work. Those same components are what determine if it will work for a long time or only a short time.

I'm certain everyone will be interested in seeing how yours worked out a year or two after you put it to use and get a lot of flying hours on it. I am not aware of any continental support structure in place for their wares at the moment so I hope you don't need any ''customer service''. However, if parts are available anywhere there are numerous people that could handle the work.

You know, once upon a time, Webra made a Diesel engine that would break crankshafts. OS made a series or two that also broke crankshafts, long ago. K&B made .61 engines that would also break crankshafts if pushed a little too hard. I could go on with more examples of engine manufacturers that we all now recognize as the standards of the industry. The point is, it doesn't matter where the country of origin is located. All manufacturers go through phases of making a loser engine or two. Today all you need to do is to look at OS' liner problems.

Trying to make and sell a product at the lowest possible price is the very essence of capitalism. China isn't doing anything any different from the rest of us. Yes, it is hurting the US. We think we deserve everything without working for it. What we lack in cheap labor, we can make up for in ingenuity, if only our bean counters would let our companies move in that direction. But you can bet your ass that China won't be far behind. They have had a taste of success and they like it. Don't buy American engines just because they are American. Buy American engines because they are better - if and when we make them again (Yes, Jett Engineering and RJL makes great engines, but the prices gotta come way down).

I'm not picking a fight with you T.O.M. You've probably forgotten more about engines than I'll ever know. But China bashing, as though they are the only ones trying to use any method to succeed, just rubs me the wrong way. I'd rather see them for being the way they are - then grab a baseball bat and.....!

Ed Cregger

Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

I just love the smoke and noise on these forums. Lots of good info as well.

Initially I was very sceptical about the DLE's as I had previous bad experiences with Chinese gassers. (I posted about this quite some time ago.) To me the whole "buy from an authorized dealer to get a warranty" is of no use as by the time the engine needs parts the warranty would have expired or the dealership has already gone under. So I buy from whomever has the best price.

Anyway, I am now the proud owner of 2 DLE55's and 1 DLE111. These engines are performing very well and will most probably last as long as my 3W's. As for the DLA112, a good friend of mine has one mounted on a BME 37% Ultimate. After about 20 flights this engine is running better & better as it is running in and being leaned out. A side by side comparison with the DLE reveals many differences. The cylinder castings are totally different. It is possible that some of the earlier DLA's were using some DLE components, I dont know and don't care as many reputable engines in use today have cylinders, pistons & many other OEM parts.

These latest Chinese engine offerings make our flying $$'s go much further so how can this be a bad thing?

Bliksem

Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Ronny Hightower

Ok guys a real test today and I think you will be surprised at the results. We have 3 sig edge 540s identical except for the engine of choice. One has a da-100, the other a dle 111. Mine of course has the DLA 112. The DA could not keep up with the other two in straight and level speed. We all had smoke on and the DLE and DLA are in break in and quite rich. I could see no difference in the two planes. These edges are all in the 27 lb range and 100" wings. Every one at our field was impressed. By the way the DLA has a interesting characteristic. You need it almost flooded to fire. I installed a servo on the choke and it makes it very easy to transition and sometimes even catch it before it dies and keep it running. I understand its new and unseasoned but so far so good. It sounds awesome
Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 AM
diamondave

my zdz100 is the same way as far as starting, i litterally flip with choke on until i see some drips leak out the back, then i go to start it, i too added a choke servo and put it on a slider, so i can bump it when it fires and keep it running, sometimes i put it at halfway and leave it there and that helps too, its usually not as bad after the 1st flight, but it still likes to be wet for sure, there is a fine line to catch it correctly, if i miss it she can be a pain to start, if i get it right she fires right up, i thought that was a zdz thing cause of the rotary valve thing instead of regular reeds, interesting yours seems similar, that may change some once broken in for you, mine did not...once mine is running its great...thanks for the info so far
Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 AM
diamondave

Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 AM
RenoSportFlyer
My Feedback: (2)

Ronny,

Just got my DLA112 a couple of days ago. The engine, mufflers, etc look beautifully machined, etc. I really appreciate the update on the performance. Very encouraging. Mine came with a red anodized casing, I wonder if they are they all like that cause in the pics they all look silver? It looks nice actually, just different from what I expected.

It also came with these crummy looking no-label spark plugs. I'm thinking I want to use some NGK plugs instead. Do you know where to get some reliable replacement plugs for the DLA? Also, any guess at where your needle valves ended up? Steve
Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 PM
betomagno

Any news about this engine guys...

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Update: My good friend Scott has run 3 gallons of gas thru his DLA112 with no problems. This engine is performing as well as other branded engines that cost twice as much.

My DLE's are performing just as well. If this continues then I predict that the older brands will need to drop their prices or go out of business.

Bliksem

Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with that one!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 AM
diamondave

that will never happen, brand loyalty and just people with money that want to say name brands, what it will do is open the market for more people to afford 100cc planes, and thats a good thing
Old 04-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Stick2000

ORIGINAL: diamondave

that will never happen, brand loyalty and just people with money that want to say name brands, what it will do is open the market for more people to afford 100cc planes, and thats a good thing
You hit the nail on the head!

Stick2K
Old 04-17-2010, 11:34 PM
laudy

well here are the results, furst of all I'm a normal rc flyer with machine shop experience. just want to have a good reliable engine. So I bought a DLE 111, DLA 112 ,, Missed the fuel 32:1 started both and ran 5 gallons of fuel through each of them. both using a 27b vess prop. well we never made it to 5 gallons of fuel. After about 2.3 gallons of fuel the DLA began to run hot and finally seized and stopped. The DLE 111, ran through the five gallons and has since had 17 gallons of redline mix 40:1 with no issues runs great. I took the DLA 112 to my machine shop friend who is an aerospace engineer and he took the engine to work and tore it down. Here was his findings, Poor Bearing choice, Poor machining the cyclinder spacing, Poor crank machining. Then for comparison I gave him my trusty DLE 11, he tore it down, He is his report, Good Lubrication. Good having Cage Bearing, Good overall machining. Put this engine back together and it continues to run. So I'm sold on DLE 111, I also have a DA 100 and it runs great also with no problems, I just wanted to compare the two DLA and DLE products. DLE one in my little uncontrolled experiment hands down. I think if is a real test done by a modeler who just wants an engine to run. No college degree just read the manual, mix the fuel and fly and the DLE 111 and DA 100 have been going strong. As for the DLA 112, sent it back with a explaination asking about the warranty. Here is what I received. Engine was returned not accepted by receipiant. Well what do you think about that . So I wrote a letter and sent it via email. Guess what I was told. Since I'm not a engineer I did not know how to test the motor thus I ruined it. No Warranty. How do you like that, I'm justg a joe blow modeler running an engine. So IF you want my two cents DO NOT BUY A DLA I got screwed but I figured that when I bought it.

Happy flying

Laudy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.