Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: MT 35 Looks Like a Winner

I found a Bisson side mount Zenoah G26 Pitts style muffler in a hobby shop and bought it. Well, the G26 muffler bolt hole spacing was .034 inch wider than the MT-35 engine bolt holes and I couldn't get both screws in. Man, what a rotten disappointment. After some measuring I found that I could enlarge the Bisson muffler holes with a 7/32 drill to allow the screws to pass through.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15647.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	1406514  
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB
    http://www.nrcmc.org/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks good... I see you have a spacer on your main shaft. That's a good idea. I have almost lost that key many times.

Alright Krazzee man you have me curious about these bolly props.

I was looking at Aeroproduct.net's site and they have carbon pipes at a really good price.

\"He who makes the least inputs... wins!\"

Patrick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just an update on my MT35. My first engine seized just by turning it over by hand so Joe at SouthWest RC asked me to return it and another engine was sent to me. The second engine had many problems.
    1. It only had 3 bolts holding the cylinder to the crankcase and one of the 3 bolts was only half screwed in.
    2. The cylinder casting was of very poor looking quality and had a large imperfection in the exhaust port area.
    3. The prop drive had a loose fit and it appeared the keyway was cut too deep into it.
    4. The second engine still came with the interlocking choke arm that is not an RC friendly setup.
    Southwest RC has offered me a full refund for the engine and I have decieded to take them up on it. Thanx Joe.
    As I am the person that started this thread I feel the need to let everyone know my experience with this engine. It is a real shame that there appears to be some serious QC problems with the MT35 because I still think the design of this engine is excellent, but it is manufactured to a poor standard.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: seagull extra

Just an update on my MT35. My first engine seized just by turning it over by hand so Joe at SouthWest RC asked me to return it and another engine was sent to me. The second engine had many problems.
    1. It only had 3 bolts holding the cylinder to the crankcase and one of the 3 bolts was only half screwed in.
    2. The cylinder casting was of very poor looking quality and had a large imperfection in the exhaust port area.
    3. The prop drive had a loose fit and it appeared the keyway was cut too deep into it.
    4. The second engine still came with the interlocking choke arm that is not an RC friendly setup.
    Southwest RC has offered me a full refund for the engine and I have decieded to take them up on it. Thanx Joe.
    As I am the person that started this thread I feel the need to let everyone know my experience with this engine. It is a real shame that there appears to be some serious QC problems with the MT35 because I still think the design of this engine is excellent, but it is manufactured to a poor standard.
    That sux. I've got a Ultra RC Katana hangin in the basement just dying for one of these new 35's. Guess it'll wait another year until these new engine bugs are worked out[:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since MT-35's are being shipped with carbs missing and partially assembled with screws missing, it makes it sound like they are desperately cannibalizing parts from some engines in order to be able to ship acceptable examples. That's not a good sign considering that the 28 to 35cc displacement range is about to get more crowded with the upcoming release of the MLD-35cc (Melody).
    Couldn't MT at least try to remember to separate the complete engines from the disassembled engines?
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MLB?  Is that Melody.  I liked my 28cc engine.  I sold it for my MT.  

Patrick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just so everyone knows, it's not all bad news for the MT35. I received mine about 8 weeks ago, and finally got a chance to run it for the first time yesterday. I have not had the quality issues listed here. It took a while to get it primmed, but seems to run great after that. Running an 18x10 MA, no tach readings yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, Melody. I corrected that.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys! I have one of these engines on the way from Valley View RC. Just to let you guys know, the service is excellent. I live in Cyprus and so returning an engine that is a dud is not practical I asked Jody if he could run the engine a bit and check it out for me before sending it. He said no problem I asked how much and he said we don't charge for that and it's what we do anyway==can't beat that.

Anyway, what is the exact thread size on the prop shaft? I am purchasing a spinner and need to know what bushing size and adapter size == I saw a couple posts ago that someone said it was 5/16", but is it 5/16 or 8mm?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow this thread got quiet. You guys running your engines? Mine is mounted on my plane and I am slowly cutting the cowl and getting the rest of the bird set up. I installed the dubro anti vibration mount. I used the 657 and it worked out great. I hope. We will see.

Patrick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cleaning up from the floods. Will fly when things settle down.
    a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

any updates on this engine? I am itching to pull the trigger on one from Jody but want some more feedback
    Revver Bro #86

Visit RCU\'\'s E-flight Only Website: www.WattFlyer.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aw, come on Sunshyne, buy one now and join the rest of us in our nervous apprehension about this newly released engine. We can form a support group and worry together.

I haven't run mine yet but the engine swap in my 76-inch Giles 202 is going well except for the usual lack of usable throttle and choke levers on the Walbro carb. I'm replacing my MVVS 26cc with the MT-35 and it fits inside the cowl. I like the configurations of the MVVS and MT because they're very much like regular model airplane engines. Maybe all carbs should be on the front like the MVVS and the OS GT55 Gasoline engine.

Name:	Us54682.jpg 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	1416237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85872.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	1416238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz69963.jpg 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	1416239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cv62055.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	1416240  
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My maiden flights of my Extreme Flight Extra 300 went awesome. That plane simply flys awesome.

I got a motor box and fuse full of fuel stain from blow back from the carb thou. Everything is green (Pennzoil air cooled) from the front of the box and 1/3 of the way back in the fuse. I thought at first I had a fuel line leak. But it is everywhere which lead me to believe that it was coming from the engine. The outside of the carb is absolutely bone dry and no signs of a leak.

Very disappointed with that.

I would suggest those that haven't ran your engine in the plane yet to do something to protect the plane. I have installed some low density large pore foam (pelican foam) in the bottom and back of my motor box to catch the fuel that the carb spits out.

I am not sure of the AUW weight of the plane. I believe it is at around 14 pounds. Vertical was very limited with a 18x10 prop and it would not fly through the IMAC maneuvers. Based on my prop numbers on the ground, I was not surprised. I am going to order the 19A Vess prop recommended by Krazzee and see if that helps other wise I will need to go bigger. Its just not strong enough for the EF 78" Extra.

Patrick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe a velocity stack would help keep that fuel inside the carb. If you'll notice that in the first of the four pictures I posted above, there is a thin plywood disk covering the hole in the firewall to keep oil out. I didn't use a velocity stack on the MVVS and it ran a little wet.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to hear about your "awesome" flying Extra 300 that can't fly IMAC maneuvers.
    My Giles 202 weighed 11.25 pounds with the MVVS 26cc and aluminum tuned pipe and it should weigh around the same with the MT-35 so I should get better performance than you did with your 14 pound Extreme Flight Extra 300. Still, your engine sounds kind of feeble.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at the video in post #39 on page 2 of the "MLD-35 Gasoline Engine" thread ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...mpage_2/tm.htm ). After a 2-hour break-in, they're getting 22 pounds of thrust with a JXF 20x8 prop at 7350 rpm. Can there be that much of a difference between two 35cc engines? Maybe your plane is heavier than you think.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just punched in some numbers into the prop calculator.... your right. Something is up. Ihave a 19A on the way and Iwill compare to krazees numbers.

I had actually sold the MLD-28 for this one. After I figuered my ignition problem it ran great. I had it in the Seagull Extra 260 1.80. That one was under powered too. Seems thats the way I build em'.

Patrick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw your numbers on the Ef 78" extra...
    I wondered if it would really reach there 11lb AUW...??
    I think that my Evolution/MVVS 45cc magnesium that I picked up for 400$ shipped from
    cheif would be prefect fit for that plane...THe only fualt of that engine is the heavy ignition..
    It would take out an additional 1/2 lb on that engine...

Wonder how others have faired with that plane??
    Is there a build site other than the Electric Version??

I would think my ZDZ40f3A would be a good fit as well...
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

Sorry to hear about your ''awesome'' flying Extra 300 that can't fly IMAC maneuvers.
    My Giles 202 weighed 11.25 pounds with the MVVS 26cc and aluminum tuned pipe and it should weigh around the same with the MT-35 so I should get better performance than you did with your 14 pound Extreme Flight Extra 300. Still, your engine sounds kind of feeble.

Rocketman...
    I have to ask....
    Why do you want to get rid of the 26cc piped??
    It would be much more quite than this 35cc on muffler.
    Is the power not smooth enough?

Also, that 26cc engine can be furthered in power by Simply removing the end of the ALum. pipe,
    and replacing the stock carb with a larger one...(got one for 22$ on Ebay).. and get Killer RPM's....

Here is the directions on how to do so..
    http://tech.flygsw.org/evolution26review.htm

I realize that you have already purchased the other engine..so...Not trying to sway you either way...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

Aw, come on Sunshyne, buy one now and join the rest of us in our nervous apprehension about this newly released engine. We can form a support group and worry together.

I haven't run mine yet but the engine swap in my 76-inch Giles 202 is going well except for the usual lack of usable throttle and choke levers on the Walbro carb. I'm replacing my MVVS 26cc with the MT-35 and it fits inside the cowl. I like the configurations of the MVVS and MT because they're very much like regular model airplane engines. Maybe all carbs should be on the front like the MVVS and the OS GT55 Gasoline engine.

I hear ya pal, I went to do it today but ValleyView shows it as out of stock! [&o]

I am in no hurry but do want to swap out a YS140 in a 73" CAP 232 for it. The 35 spinning a 19" prop should be fun with an 11ish lb plane

Revver Bro #86

Visit RCU\'\'s E-flight Only Website: www.WattFlyer.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm going to sell my 35. If anyone wants it pm me and we can talk. I only bought it to test it.
    a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Patrick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kochj

Rocketman...
    I have to ask....
    Why do you want to get rid of the 26cc piped?? ...
    When I re-read my post about the engine swap I knew I was going to be stuck with answering that question. It is a valid question about a great 26cc engine from MVVS. The engine is no problem, it’s the pipe that I don’t like. In all the decades I’ve been a model builder I’ve never liked big ugly tuned pipes. For the Giles, I made an exception because the pipe was going to be fairly well hidden and the MVVS gets a huge power boost that I thought might be necessary for 3D work.

Now here’s the ugly part. With haste and some laziness I elected not to lengthen the Giles’ pipe channel to accommodate the long MVVS pipe and I mounted the pipe at an angle to let it droop below the aft end of the channel. That was a bad suggestion I picked up here in RCU. That was a really bad idea because in hastened the burnout of many silicone header/pipe couplers. Why didn’t I change to a Teflon coupler? Because, a stiff Teflon coupler wouldn’t accommodate the bad angle between the header and pipe.
    Not wanting to be bothered, I didn’t fly the Giles at all last season.

During the Winter I started to modify the Giles pipe channel but discovered that I needed a new header to make it fit properly. I contacted a well known pipe and header maker in California and he said he didn’t have a header for the MVVS but could make a custom header for a cost. So, I sent a sketch with the required dimensions and asked what the cost would be and I never heard from him again. Since β€œJustEngines” ( http://www.justengines.unseen.org/ ) in England had made a custom header for me in the past, I considered dealing with them again because they’ll make any oddball header that you can sketch up.

I decided to get rid of the pipe when the MT 35cc gas engine came along because it seemed like the right configuration and displacement to make an engine swap.

Name:	Ay74076.jpg 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	1421475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez82305.jpg 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	1421476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb77085.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	1421477  
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a easy fix for you...possibly...
    Can you bend the header down??
    Is the header alum. or ss??

This guy here is the best in the bussiness...
    His name is Carl Muller...He can make you a header for you engine...(I have asked him in the past about your engine)
    I believe it would be...25-30$... He is super reliable and I do not think you could ask for better looking headers....

Here is his info..
    http://www.rcaerobats.net/Mueller/Mu...tomHeaders.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have bent the header but I am not satisfied with that arrangement.

Thanks for reminding me of Karl Mueller Custom Headers and I will surely keep him in mind the next time I need a header. I have heard his business mentioned in the forums but I couldn't remember the name.

I have installed the MT 35cc engine in the Giles along with a Bisson Pitts style muffler. The MVVS 26cc will have to wait for another project.
    NORTHEAST R/C MODEL CLUB

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast