Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Quadra 100 engine just L@@king

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:37 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder
My Feedback: (104)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quadra 100 engine just L@@king

I need a good reliable Quadra 100 engine with spring start magneto ignition, Just looking to see if any one has a Quadra 100 engine they do not need or plan on using and do not mind letting it go cheap, ( I purchased a "new never mounted" Q100 on Ebay few weeks ago with 7day return, just looked at it recently and the flywheel and crank is off .040 it is scrap!) .
Old 01-26-2010, 06:21 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Quadra 100 engine just L@@king

I would upgrade to a ZDZ 80 or a DA85. Lighter and more powerful.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

lighter means more lead needed in the front for balance, but the more power sounds good, and I need the rear exhaust on the
cylinder. p.s. Maybe you can explain, I just saw a add for DA85 advertised with prop use of 26x12, I use a 24x12 on my 100, I just don't understand how 85cc can generate that much more power than a 100cc.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Newer porting designs etc.......27x10 is the choice of prop I think.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Flyer95
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcwarbirdbuilder

lighter means more lead needed in the front for balance, but the more power sounds good, and I need the rear exhaust on the
cylinder. p.s. Maybe you can explain, I just saw a add for DA85 advertised with prop use of 26x12, I use a 24x12 on my 100, I just don't understand how 85cc can generate that much more power than a 100cc.
Hi,

To reduce the noise level of big engines manufacturer has made engines which can handle larger props with more pitch than the older designs. My older Brison 5.8 gladely turned a 24x12 or 26x10 as a max propload. Any bigger and the performance would suffer.
Modern 80-85cc engines are not stronger than a 100cc but they are lighter and can turn the same props and rpm probably on a mousse can or a pipe but it doesnt mean smaller props would hurt. Whenever in doubt go for slightly smaller props.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

I run my Quadra 100's on a 26x10 or 24x12 because that is all it well handle, I preffer the 24x12 it pulls better, that is what got me questioning a DA85 with a 26x12 I just can see it turning the same rpm as a 5.8 with a 24x12, I figure it is got to sacrifice some rpm to turn the bigger prop load. If it could turn a 26x12 at the same rpm as a quadra with a 24x12 that thing has got to be some monster of a engine.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Flyer95

Twostroke performance depends a whole lot on the exhaust system too. Tuned pipes are best for twostrokes but large mousse can mufflers are good on power too and quiet. The weakest twostroke engine will however outrun the strongest one in the same size if the exhaust system is superior and better tuned.
Modern engine manufacturer recommends slightly "too large" of a prop and higher pitch to lower the engine and prop-noise and the newer designs are made to handle the higher loads a little better and still function "normally". However too large of an prop. makes any engine sluggish whether it is gas, glow or electric motors.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 PM
lil abner

I have a Quadra 75 with a brand new Ralph Cunningham ignition. I sent it out to Ralph and he checked it out and its like new, very strong engine, 8 horse power. Its got about 10 flights on it before i sent it to Ralph, I just got it back this week. I sold the plane and don't need the motor. I'll include a flat mount and a stand off mount. I'll take $400.00 for it with the repair slip from Ralph to show the work he did on it. It has great compression. Let me know, Ray
Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Ray I have a new q-75 on the shelf I am not using it is to small, thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Hi Ray,
I have a lightly used 100 mag version that I would probably part with. I will try to post a few pics of it. I bought it a year ago from the estate of a deceased club member. It was on a large...~35% scratch built Waco He built. There is some orange over spray paint on it but I can assure you it runs very good and has low time on it. I know that the guy who owned it bought it new and only ran a gallon or two through it. I flew the Waco a few times and put maybe another gallon through it.

I hope to strip and recover/lighten the plane in the next year or two and if I do am planning on putting one of several twin gassers that I have laying around back on it. Let me know if you are still looking and maybe we can make a deal.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36643.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1374395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22438.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1374396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67959.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1374397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo38144.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1374398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95205.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1374399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99788.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1374400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42296.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1374401  
Old 02-08-2010, 12:37 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

It looks good enough for me, sent you pm, George.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 AM
nuweb3152

Steve,
I just noticed that the engine I bought from you at Lebanon is the same one you offered to my favorite builder site onhisNosen P-51 build. I have been following this site for my build as RCWARBIRDBUILDER is the most complete site for the build I am working on right now.
The engine has been mocked up already and firewall modifications are underway to install this orange Quadra 100 into my latest Nosen P-51 build. I have never owned a Quadrd before and never anything this big. Ray has this one as highly recommended on his build site and I see he nibbled on this one, so itis good I went with it.
Several questions:
What oil mixture did you run this motor on last?
What prop did you use when it was in your nosen?
Did you use a nose cone or did you use this brass block for counterweight?

Thanks for the fantastic buy!
Bill
Old 03-14-2010, 11:16 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Looks like a good engine to me, glad someone is going to get some use from it. I had wanted to get it but as things turned out someone wanted to purchase my recent P-51 I built with no engine. I have had good performance with a standard Master Airscrew 24x12 prop, good pull and low prop noise, about 40-1 on the oil, George.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:59 PM
nuweb3152

George,
Thanks for such a great build detail on the P-51, I have learned a ton from reading your thread and used most of it to finish my Bud Nosen kit. My son fell in love with the plane a year ago and just can not wait to fly one. He is disabled with epelipsy and the local Salem County RC Club has worked with him to get him flying and just plain having some fun. The Local AMA rep has worked out a fly plan to work with this type disability on a constant buddy box and so far so good. This hobby has so many great people in it and that keeps it fun.
We meet Steve at the Lebanon swap meet last weekend and purchased the engine, I worked all day today to move the firewall back and get the engine alignment similar to yours. Had your pictures in front of me while I worked.
Question, I am new to this motor and do not fully understand the spring start and the dump valve and how this all works. there seams to be a shortage of information on line about this subject. Can you walk me throught that part? I am the builder and flight mechanic as my son is simply all thumbs, ha, ha.
Thanks again for all the great help, you have been a teacher and great insperation for me. the East coast snow this winter has helped a lot also, trapping me in my shop for more days than normal (and a few work days off as well). Great break from shoveling.
Bill
Old 03-14-2010, 08:33 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Bill - I hope you and your sonenjoy the new project !.. As for the Q-100 the first thing to do when starting it is to push "in" the cylinder pressure release valve at the front top of the head, this reduces the compression enough to the point the spring starter is able to turn over the engine without difficultie,,, next is to close the carb choke plate,,, than turn the prop by hand 3/4 & no more than just over one turn clockwise looking at it from the front, and release the prop, the spring well turn over the engine a couple turns,,, you need to do this about three times to get the gas dripping from carb and than you well get a pop out of the engine, check to see the release valve is still in and open the choke full,, Quadras well than start on the next one or to flips... very simple engine to work with, no batterys for the ignition and very predictable operation.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 PM
loser

ORIGINAL: nuweb3152

Steve,
I just noticed that the engine I bought from you at Lebanon is the same one you offered to my favorite builder site on his Nosen P-51 build. I have been following this site for my build as RCWARBIRDBUILDER is the most complete site for the build I am working on right now.
The engine has been mocked up already and firewall modifications are underway to install this orange Quadra 100 into my latest Nosen P-51 build. I have never owned a Quadrd before and never anything this big. Ray has this one as highly recommended on his build site and I see he nibbled on this one, so it is good I went with it.
Several questions:
What oil mixture did you run this motor on last?
What prop did you use when it was in your nosen?
Did you use a nose cone or did you use this brass block for counterweight?

Thanks for the fantastic buy!
Bill

Bill,
I am just seeing this now. Many of your questions have already been answered but I will help in any way I can regarding the engine. Just to clarify some details. The engine you bought was on a BIG Waco that was scratch built by an old friend who passed a few years ago. I bought the plane/engine from his estate. I flew the plane a few times and the engine ran STRONG. I was using a 26x10 wood prop (Bambula I think). I know the engine has very low run time. I was using regular oil (not syn) at 36:1. RCWarbldr already described the starting procedure but feel free to call if you have any questions.

Regarding my Nosen P-51: I originally had a Q75 on it which flew it okay but not like it should. I have Hank Likes electric retracts in mine and the total weight is a little over 40 lbs. I later swithched to a Q100B version which has the electronic ignition on it. This engine gave the plane the power it should have....climbed with authority!! I have a 6" aluminum spinner that I bought from the Nosen or A&A co years ago when building the plane. The brass heavy hub on the 100 you bought at Lebanon was used for the Waco bipe.

UNFORTUNATELY.....I did not fly the P-51 very much and for the past 5-6 years have been mainly flying the big, but LIGHT aerobatic ARF's which land like a feather. The last time I flew my 51 I slowed it down too much, too soon and stalled it a foot or two off the runway. A wing dropped, bounced on that gear, popped up that wing then caught the other wingtip which snapped the fuse in half at the rear of the wing saddle!! I'll fix it one of these years but for now its hanging in the garage. When you get your's done and flying...just remember....when landing, keep a little speed on it and the nose down and "fly it onto" the runway. Its not a hard plane at all to fly and actually for its size and wt. I actually think lands reasonable slow...BUT....not like the big "featherlight ARF's" that have "spoiled me"...lol.

Like I said...call or mail me with any questions. Better yet...If you decide you dont need it please give me first shot at buying it back....lol. Right after you bought it I thought....Damn...I should have kept that one...lol. Like some of us though...I have too much stuff that has been sitting around for too long!

Steve
717-623-7742
Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM
nuweb3152

Thanks Steve!
I am following the suggestions found on the build pages from George and moving my firewall and setting the engine into heavyer ply in the front of the nosen kit. The carb is exposed thru the side in a small area and the nose will need some buildup to match the engine extension to the nose cone gap. I will continue to lighten the oilas I fly out to georges recommendation as it sounds like this engine is not completely broke-in. The only other modification I am making is to open the air inlets around the front of the engine so it will cool and adding vents in the back like george did to his P-51. The weather is getting better and I am getting the fever to fly again, so the completion of this project may have to wait until next fall. Did you see the young guy with the dog at lebanon? That was my son and this is his dream plane. Thanks for the great deal, we will put this engine to good use.
Bill
Old 03-19-2010, 11:51 AM
loser

Bill,
No...I did not see your son but I think its great you and he share this great hobby and so cool that you are going to the "level with it" that you are with the P-51!!! Keep the guys on this forum up to date with you and your sons progress. Pictures when finished would be great or better yet...like I mentioned at Lebanon...maybe I'll see you at a "fly-in" soon.

Steve
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

I am back in the market looking for a good running Quadra 100 with spring start in good un-mollested condition, I should of picked up a good spare when I had the chance. I just tried starting the Ralph Cunningham modified Q-100, tried for a hour and could not get it to pop once, I don't know the history of the engine but it has got to come off and be replaced with a good engine on my new P-47 project , I have got the plane up for sale and if I don't sell it without a engine first I well need another engine to get it ready to fly.. I used my last quart of Behr Luminoso paint on this big bird, O well!.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92426.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1523632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48032.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1523633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22074.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1523634  
Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just send that old piece of junk Ralph Cunningham Q-100 to me.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder

You must know more about getting it to run than I do,,, It has spark, maybe the magnet is not in the right location?,, anyway I had bought this from a freind and had not paid him tell I started it so I gues It well be going back with him.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
JeffH

I have never run one, but I have run some other engines worked on by Master Ralph. If you have spark and fuel, it will run provided they are in the right ratio. If your buddy wants to get rid of it cheap, let me know.

To offer help, my first guess is that timing is off or the spark isn't hot enough. It is an older conversion since it has the mechanical advance.
If he wants, send it to me, I will get it running for ya'll.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:27 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder

I well be talking to my buddy about his engine in the next couple of days or so, and pass on that you can get it running or may be interested in buying it... , that is what I think as well , the spark is not hot enough or the timeing is off on the linkage setup.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 AM
JeffH

Just let me know. PM me when you find out something.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 AM
rcwarbirdbuilder

Jeff, sent you pm. I told Jim you would be contacting him about the engine, George.