Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Shock Cooling our Gas engines.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shock Cooling our Gas engines.....

So there remains a large margin of uncertainty in failure mode cause analysis. Whether it be normal heat cycling cracking, or cracking due to "shock cooling"
Truely a tester's paradise, or asmall note in the user's maintenance manual

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

but the consensus among the A&P's and I/A's was shock cooling. 1,100 hours on the engine when it was found during a 100 hour inspection.
The heads crack on those after about 1,000 hours with or without shock cooling. The older C 150 was worse, cylinder replacement common after 500 hours or so. Fortunately they are fairly easy to replace, and tons of places that trade out rebuilt cylinders for your old cracked ones.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM
82blackbird
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Cost me over $13,000.00 to rebuild the engine in my 152 after a cracked head was discovered. Until it was used a rental on lease back it never had a problem, but all the student pilot renters and their instructors always went from wot cruise to 1,300 rpm for the descent when they flew it. None of them knew how to push the nose over and only slightly reduce power to keep the cht's and speed up. Not a high performance engine but the consensus among the A&P's and I/A's was shock cooling. 1,100 hours on the engine when it was found during a 100 hour inspection.

TOM, I'd be willing to bet that there are more jugs cracked from "shock heating" than "shock cooling". From my own experience the CHT's increase faster in a WOT climb than they decrease in a glide. I converted two 152's to a Sparrow Hawk Conversion and from that day on had little to no engine trouble, used less fuel too.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

The term "shock cooling" came from Continental as the reason for cracks found in their large fuel injected engines. Many think the crack is caused by liquid fuel hitting the intake port (where it starts) when the mixture lever is pushed forward during decent. The term has propagated throughout aviation all the way down to us. Just pulling power and adding airspeed is not enough to lower temperature very rapidly, especially when compared to flying through rain.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 AM
pe reivers

Now, THAT is a different box of cookies.
Those cracks initially were due to a too large heat gradient inside the metal. Shock cooling is rapid cooling of a surface that was once hot, then cooled in an instant.. Any quicker than that and it becomes flash cooling, like in use for special aluminum alloys.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 AM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kweasel, that's a good point. Flight that turns into soup would be MUCH quicker to cool your engine than any sort of airflow. Also, it's funny that you mention that about the Continentals. We had a Baron (B55) as well, and those were the quirkiest engines ever. Great power, great noise....but quirks that you had to learn to live with. I don't think we ever suffered from any signs of shock cooling, though.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also student pilot activity and shock cooling is blamed for the poor length of time of service for cylinders in C-150 and C-152 engines. However I used to belong to an full scale aero club with several older C 172's with the older O-300 engines and they were just as prone to cracking without much student pilot use. I would blame it on the engine design, and on some of the cylinder rebuilds. I am wondering why it takes $13,000 to do a top end overhaul on a C-152. It's been a while but back in the late 80's it cost about $1,000 to replace a cylinder on a C-152 and a lot less on a C-150. But I was doing much of the work myself. Have prices gone up that much?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

Kweasel, that's a good point. Flight that turns into soup would be MUCH quicker to cool your engine than any sort of airflow. Also, it's funny that you mention that about the Continentals. We had a Baron (B55) as well, and those were the quirkiest engines ever. Great power, great noise....but quirks that you had to learn to live with. I don't think we ever suffered from any signs of shock cooling, though.

The technology and quality in aviation engines is dismal. Thanks to the FAA and liability issues. Some of the worst engines made are aircraft engines. Some of the best engines, but not the ones whose names begine with a C.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Yup still flying with the same basic engine as 50 or so years ago....