Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

15cc Gas RCGF engine information thread

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

15cc Gas RCGF engine information thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:55 PM
sidav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 15cc Gas RCGF engine information thread

hello guys does anybodey think the 15 cc will power my hanger 9 thunderbolt 60 size or do i need the 20cc,help please its doin my head in, witch one do i buy?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:02 PM
yearnin to Fly
My Feedback: (52)

ORIGINAL: sidav

hello guys does anybodey think the 15 cc will power my hanger 9 thunderbolt 60 size or do i need the 20cc,help please its doin my head in, witch one do i buy?
The 15cc will fly it, I have one on a fourstar 60 and it does fine. But it is under powered.

The 20cc is my favorite so far for the 60 size warbirds. You have more power to play with.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:00 PM
dogshome

ORIGINAL: gsmith6879

I bought 2 of these little engines from David at Gas RC Hobby Engines to put on my new Uravitch 81'' Bronco. His support and service is great. I had custom mufflers built by Bisson and rotated one of the cylinders/pistons to allow both engines to face in board. I have run the engines on the bench and love the ease of starting and reliability. The airplane is finished and just waiting on better weather to test run and fly.

Very cute! [8D]
Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Siday,

Go with the RCFG 20cc. I have two. One in a Hanger 9 Hellcat and another in a BH P-36. They both work great. Plenty of power but not "over powered". I think that the 15cc would be a little underpowered and not much difference in weight or deminsions between the 15 and 20.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:02 AM
sidav

thanks for you replys,,do you think the retracts will be strong enough for the extra weight of the 20cc
Old 02-21-2010, 04:32 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can tell you is the stock retracts on my Hellcat didn't stand up on a grass runway. Any landing less then absolutely perfect required landing gear maintance. After two trips to the field with the factory retracts, I ordered Century Jet. A real pain to install in the Hellcat, but probably less problem with the P-47. They have been working ok so far. With the P-47 since you don't need the rotating kind, I would go with Robo strut ready Spring Airs or CJs. If coarse Sierras are best if money is no object.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:40 PM
yearnin to Fly

I hope this will help answer your questions. I am still working towards an arf suitable for the RCGF 15cc gas engine, and here is a Katana V2 profile .46 size plane I built up for testing purposes while we work on the design and supplier of the arf I want to sell as a combo with the 15cc engines.

It weighs in at 6.14 ounces. with no fuel.

If anyone has any questions, ask away.

Let me know what you think. I wsih everyone good weather and Happy flying!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59690.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1384872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83078.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1384873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82640.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1384874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84331.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1384875  
Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 PM
yearnin to Fly

Hi RCplanman, here is a picture of my Katana .46 profile I built up for the 15cc gas engine. It shows the way I set up the choke linkage.
I know it looks cheesy, but it works GREAT!!

So until the newly designed one is finished this one will do. THANKS AND HAPPY FLYING!!!!

Name:	Cz79859.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1384878  
Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 AM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: gasrchobbyengines

Hi RCplanman, here is a picture of my Katana .46 profile I built up for the 15cc gas engine. It shows the way I set up the choke linkage.
I know it looks cheesy, but it works GREAT!!

So until the newly designed one is finished this one will do. THANKS AND HAPPY FLYING!!!!
Hey Gasrc-
I set up pretty much all of my planes from the 15's to the 400's with a very similar choke setup. Simple, straightforward and it works well.

Here is a tip to make it look "professional"
Get a ball joint and remove the brass ball insert from it (it wil just flick out) - use the resulting bit of plastic as a "knob" on the end of the rod - voila - a professional looking finish and probably quicker than it took you to bend the handle.

I keep a stock of 2-56 threaded rod and cheap ball joints for exactly that purpose.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 AM
RACJ

Looks like it's taking shape. Can't wait for the flight report.At 6lbs.14ounces it ought to fly great.THANKS,RACJ
Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 AM
yearnin to Fly

Steve you are the man, That choke linkage idea sounds great. Thanks for your valuable information and taking the time to be so helpful.
I hope sometime I can be a blessing to you.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 PM
yearnin to Fly

I got a chance to run the 15cc RCGF gas engine on the profile katana V2 .46 yesterday, the engine started right up and ran perfect. I am working on getting some video soon.

I am hoping to maiden the plane saturday, I already know the 15cc RCGF gas engine has MORE than enough power to fly the Katana.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 AM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: rhd-RCU

Mine is doing a great job of flying my Great planes 60 stik on floats. Off snow
Thanks for posting that, Do you have any pics of the plane?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:24 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

I have about 80 flights on it.

Name:	Zx72181.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1387391  
Old 02-26-2010, 11:56 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

whats the weight of the engine? like 20 oz or 30
at 6.14 thats going to 3d like a brick, you can forget about floating around, should fly fine though
i can see this working for sports planes where the owner does basic aerobatics/fly in circles most of the time.
they just need to make this in the 15oz range so us .40 sized users can buy one, seems like its running great, good throttle response
Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Piston
My Feedback: (1)

The 15cc weighs 33 oz + batteries and switches.

It is a heavy engine in comparison to .40 - .60ci engines that range from 12 to 23 ounces ready to fly.
The output of the 15cc in comparison to glow engines is much less too. There is also the penalty of wing loading being much heavier. It will affect the flying characteristics of any aircraft it is installed into.

Making a light 15cc gas engine is pretty difficult to do. That is why most manufacturers stick to making gas engines of 20cc+ for aero applications.

Henry

Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 AM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: rhd-RCU

I have about 80 flights on it.
Thanks for posting the picture. I have another good customer who sent me pics of his U can Du last night and he LOVES the RCGF 15cc engine.
After I get permission from him to post his pictures, I will post them on here for everyone.

There is nice weather here today so I am going to try to go maiden the KATANA V2 .46 size bird with the RCGF 15cc on it. I have been breaking in the engine and I can already tell it has PLENTY OF POWER to fly the katana.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2010, 11:10 AM
djsdog

ORIGINAL: gasrchobbyengines

ORIGINAL: sidav

The 15cc will fly it, I have one on a fourstar 60 and it does fine. But it is under powered.

The 20cc is my favorite so far for the 60 size warbirds. You have more power to play with.
gasrc,

I have over ten Warbirds I may like to covert to gas someday. I have a few to build yet one being a Hanger 9 P-40, would the 15cc be enough and would it fit inside the cowling and would it have enough cooling with only the front cut out. I had a P-40 with a Saito .82 perfectly set up and it fit, cooled and flew geat with that set up (noone said it would work). Going to the 20cc an engine with probably 1.5 times the weight and about the same power might be a problem.

I haven't mess with the gas stuff yet (I just got the 4-strokers setup down) but rather than buy anymore nitros I would love to go gas in these 60 sixe birds. I am obiousely not trying to fly 3D with them but I do like my speed!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
rccaud
My Feedback: (18)

I have been flying a 15rcgf engine on my 40 U CAN DO it flys 3d great I love this little engine very easy starting 4 oz gas on a ten minute flte I will get some prop readings the next time I go to the field our flying field 5 feet elevation enclosed is photos of my U CAN DO

Dave is realy great to deal with some parts came loose inside my first engine and he quickly replaced it with a new one also the ignition unit

Name:	Ec87266.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	1388017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75000.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	1388018   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76217.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1388019  
Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
ghitt
My Feedback: (45)

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" /><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 9" name="Generator" /><meta content="Microsoft Word 9" name="Originator" /><link href="file:///C:/Users/Glenn/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List" /><xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><woNotOptimizeForBrowser /></w:WordDocument></xml><style type="text/css"></style>

I have read all of this thread and the RCGF and DLE30cc thread. The big question everyone asks is, “will it fit?”. Of course it will fit if you get a big enough hammer! I have two of the 15cc engines and love them. They start easy and run great. I have one that I am trying to break in but it takes Forever to run a gallon of gas through that engine. It sips fuel!

<o></o>

Back to the “will it fit” question. There are planes out there that this engine will fit. But very few because of cowl, firewall position etc. The problem is not the engine but the planes. The guys that fly the big 3D planes have no problem because the planes are designed for the big gas engines. The smaller planes are designed for the nitro engines, period.

<o></o>

This is really a shame because the engine manufactures see the demand for gas engines. You can get just about any engine you want for just about any price. If you need an engine that is the same size as a nitro and just won the Lottery you can purchase a Saito 14cc four stroke gas and it will fit your place perfectly. But again, there are few planes that fit the bill for size weight ratios. I have installed an Evolution 26cc in a friend’s KMP Stuca and it is a beautiful engine. But again, it costs 450 dollars and again, what is the deal with the silly price of the replacement ignition module.

<o></o>

It is time for the plane manufactures to wake up and smell the roses. Gas engines are here to stay and they need to design planes for them. The 15cc will work fine in a plane designed specifically for it. A few more inches in the wing span or chord. A little longer fuselage to offset the weight up front and you’ve got it.

<o></o>

Examples of what we have now:

Hanger 9 ¼ scale Cub or Taylorcraft. Designed specifically for the Zenoah 20cc. Would obviously work great with RCGF 20cc.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HAN4900.html Taylorcraft

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HAN4575.html Cub PNP

<o></o>

AMR (Aircraft Modelers Research) makes a 26cc trainer that would work great with a CRRC or RCGF 26cc. But in my opinion it is pricy at 249 for a kit that I still have to put together. At lease they are trying.

http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path...id=9&langue=en

<o></o>

One sweet plane that I found is from a company called Abell Hobby. It is a designed with all sorts of hatches and doors for adding drop boxes and cameras. Again, still a trainer but looks fun for a Sunday flyer, which is a great start. The best part is, it is a ARF, and sells for under 200 dollars! This plane is similar to a Telemaster but less expensive. AND, the wings AND fuselage comes apart for easy transport.

http://www.abellrc.com/abellrchome.html

http://abellrc.com/crashisclay/index...09c5&topic=5.0

<o></o>

Check this out:

http://rcudev.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8776827/tm.htm

<o></o>

I am not trying to promote any of these planes. What I am trying to say is that it is time for a new plane (ARF) designed for the 15cc engines. It can be done and it does not have to be a trainer or 3D plane. A 60 size Cub or P40 would work but they would need to recess the firewall more and build the front of the fuselage a little wider maybe. And then again maybe adjust the wing loading a little.

<o></o>

We will hopefully get back to the point of needing to find the engine for our new plane and not the other way around.

<o></o>

I any of you see any other smaller (under 26cc) planes that are perfect for our new gas engines let us all know.

<o></o>

Happy Flying!

<o></o>

<o></o>

<o></o>

<o></o>

Old 02-28-2010, 06:31 PM
rccaud
My Feedback: (18)

The U CAN DO 40 is perfect for the 15 engine it has 907 sq in. of wing area and balance perfect no adding weight.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:38 PM
djsdog

ORIGINAL: ghitt

<meta content=''text/html; charset=utf-8'' http-equiv=''Content-Type'' /><meta content=''Word.Document'' name=''ProgId'' /><meta content=''Microsoft Word 9'' name=''Generator'' /><meta content=''Microsoft Word 9'' name=''Originator'' /><link href=''file:///C:/Users/Glenn/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml'' rel=''File-List'' /><xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><woNotOptimizeForBrowser /></w:WordDocument></xml><style type=''text/css''></style>

I have read all of this thread and the RCGF and DLE30cc thread. The big question everyone asks is, “will it fit?”. Of course it will fit if you get a big enough hammer! I have two of the 15cc engines and love them. They start easy and run great. I have one that I am trying to break in but it takes Forever to run a gallon of gas through that engine. It sips fuel!

<o></o>

Back to the “will it fit” question. There are planes out there that this engine will fit. But very few because of cowl, firewall position etc. The problem is not the engine but the planes. The guys that fly the big 3D planes have no problem because the planes are designed for the big gas engines. The smaller planes are designed for the nitro engines, period.

<o></o>

This is really a shame because the engine manufactures see the demand for gas engines. You can get just about any engine you want for just about any price. If you need an engine that is the same size as a nitro and just won the Lottery you can purchase a Saito 14cc four stroke gas and it will fit your place perfectly. But again, there are few planes that fit the bill for size weight ratios. I have installed an Evolution 26cc in a friend’s KMP Stuca and it is a beautiful engine. But again, it costs 450 dollars and again, what is the deal with the silly price of the replacement ignition module.

<o></o>

It is time for the plane manufactures to wake up and smell the roses. Gas engines are here to stay and they need to design planes for them. The 15cc will work fine in a plane designed specifically for it. A few more inches in the wing span or chord. A little longer fuselage to offset the weight up front and you’ve got it.

<o></o>

Examples of what we have now:

Hanger 9 ÂĽ scale Cub or Taylorcraft. Designed specifically for the Zenoah 20cc. Would obviously work great with RCGF 20cc.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HAN4900.html Taylorcraft

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HAN4575.html Cub PNP

<o></o>

AMR (Aircraft Modelers Research) makes a 26cc trainer that would work great with a CRRC or RCGF 26cc. But in my opinion it is pricy at 249 for a kit that I still have to put together. At lease they are trying.

http://www.amr-rc.com/index.php?path...id=9&langue=en

<o></o>

One sweet plane that I found is from a company called Abell Hobby. It is a designed with all sorts of hatches and doors for adding drop boxes and cameras. Again, still a trainer but looks fun for a Sunday flyer, which is a great start. The best part is, it is a ARF, and sells for under 200 dollars! This plane is similar to a Telemaster but less expensive. AND, the wings AND fuselage comes apart for easy transport.

http://www.abellrc.com/abellrchome.html

http://abellrc.com/crashisclay/index...09c5&topic=5.0

<o></o>

Check this out:

http://rcudev.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8776827/tm.htm

<o></o>

I am not trying to promote any of these planes. What I am trying to say is that it is time for a new plane (ARF) designed for the 15cc engines. It can be done and it does not have to be a trainer or 3D plane. A 60 size Cub or P40 would work but they would need to recess the firewall more and build the front of the fuselage a little wider maybe. And then again maybe adjust the wing loading a little.

<o></o>

We will hopefully get back to the point of needing to find the engine for our new plane and not the other way around.

<o></o>

I any of you see any other smaller (under 26cc) planes that are perfect for our new gas engines let us all know.

<o></o>

Happy Flying!

<o></o>

<o></o>

<o></o>

<o></o>

Well!

I guess he told me.

I asked a simple question and got a rude answer.

Not everyone buys an engine first and then looks for a plane for it?

It was stated (somewhere) that this engine was an attemp to replace a .60 size nitro.

I know very little about gas engines and thought I would ask before I buy instead of the other way around,

Your comment "We will hopefully get back to the point of needing to find the engine for our new plane and not the other way around." is exactly what I am trying to do!

sorry ghitt, my bad!

gasrchobbyengines, What say you??????
Old 02-28-2010, 08:36 PM
ghitt
My Feedback: (45)

I am sorry if I offended anyone and did not intend to come off as rude. What I was trying to say is that it is hard to find a plane for our 15cc engines because none are made JUST for them. If you buy a 60 size plane the manufacture designed it for a 60 size nitro engine. If you buy a 33% Yak, the manufacture designed it for a gas engine. They are not expecting you to put in a glow.

I love my 15cc engine, so much that I am building a Goldberg/Great Planes Tiger 60 just for it. Did not want to build a plane from scratch. Would rather have the arf but it seems they are no longer making one.
All I meant to say was that if you buy a OS .60 nitro you then look for a "60" size plane and you are good to go. With the 15cc engine it is not that simple because no one makes a plane just for it, yet. I listed the links to some planes to help out people that wanted to get into gas engines.

I feel your pain and did not mean to offend anyone.

p.s. I bought my engine from David at gasrchobbyengines, great guy to deal with. Since he installs these engines in planes for people I know he understands the frustration of "making it fit".
Old 02-28-2010, 09:04 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was reviewing Mr. ghett's post about an hour ago as a result of the follow up post and I just cannot see anything wrong with his post or that it was pointing out anyone. It was just an information post.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 AM
djsdog

Sorry for the misunderstanding (on my part).

I have a different problem than Mr. ghitt, I want (like many others) to covert to gas with the planes I already own and have just bought and not assembled. I was asking if someone with experiance with this (and other small gassers) would work for me without the necessity of me buying and experimenting with them on my own.

I enjoy this sight and will follow it to see others successes and failers with this engine in an attempt to get the full benefit of their experiances and will probably buy one and find a fit for it.

My question stands, will this engine first adiquately fit into a Hanger 9 P-40 Cowling and if so will it fly the bird. If I am on the wrong sight for this I will move on.

Sorry again ghitt!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.