Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

US-41 Weak Spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 08:39 PM
caiman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US-41 Weak Spark

I have an almost new US-41 installed "Inverted" (spark plug down) on a 1/4 Decathlon. The problem is that since the engine needs some fuel priming on the carb before it can get started, the spark plug gets wet with fuel and a spark is not generated, therefore the engine does not start. I always have to remove the spark plug to dry it and after that, the engine starts more easily.

My questions are:

1)- Could this problem be caused by improper spark plug gap or improper magneto gap? if so, what should be the correct gap spacing for each?
2)- Is there an easy way to add a prime bulb or choke instead of having to add fuel to the air intake? (on another plane, I had no starting problems using a Zenoah 38 with a choke)
3)- Should a Sullivan Dynatron Super Starter (Torque= 340 @12V) be able to turn the prop or should I used a belt driven starter? I tried this starter but it didn't turn the prop, maybe because of the battery or because I have no spinner installed? any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:16 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default US-41 Weak Spark

This was answered quite well in the Giant Engines forum.

We hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.)

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.

Sincerely,

Bill Baxter, Manager
Hobby Services
1610 Interstate Dr.
Champaign, IL 61822
USA

Phone: 217 398-0007
Fax: 217 398-7721
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.bestrc.com
Old 09-09-2002, 06:23 PM
caiman

Default US 41

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:49 AM
dilled
My Feedback: (2)

Default US-41 Weak Spark

Set the gap between the coil and flywheel at .011 thousands. I did this and all starting problems were gone. Most of time it starts on the first flip.

Dilled
Old 07-17-2003, 03:37 AM
caiman

Default US-41

Thanks, I will check on that.