Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

RCGF 20cc rear carb information thread.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF 20cc rear carb information thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:26 AM
yearnin to Fly
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCGF 20cc rear carb information thread.

I am starting this thread becouse I sell the RCGF line of engines. I get calls almost every day, and emails asking for information about what planes these engines will work on and questions about prop sizes and more. ( questions I am learning about how to answer myself ) I like it, becouse I learn alot also, and enjoy being able to help others.

I have thought about what is the best way to answer the questions, and figured we could all help each other by sharing the information we all have here on RCU.

I will be posting pictures of some of the planes we are building, like an aero works yak 60 90, that I am installing a RCGF 20cc rear carb engine on.

If you have a plane you have installed a RCGF 20cc engine on, please post pics and any helpful information you might have.

Remember, Once you GO GAS all you do is FLIP and FLY!!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:28 PM
SkyPilot101

Default RE: RCGF 20cc rear carb information thread.

Nice, since this Is my first gasser, I'm looking forward to your recomendations! I bought this engine for a seagull 120 size decathlon, did I do ok or not? Mike
Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

You did good ! I have the 1.20 Decathlon with a little more oomph! It flies perfect with a 20cc gas engine though. I don't know if you have read this review but there is a video attached to it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1152

Enjoy!

Andy

Old 02-15-2010, 08:33 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

Nice, since this Is my first gasser, I'm looking forward to your recomendations! I bought this engine for a seagull 120 size decathlon, did I do ok or not? Mike
Hey Mike,

I packed the 26cc into my Decathlon and it's probably an overkill. I didn't have the 20cc at the time but suspect it would have been a better option so you are definately on the right track !

That Decathlon is a nice little plane by the way. You will love it!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:28 PM
SkyPilot101

Thanks for the encouragement guy's, can't wait for the spring thaw!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM
RACJ

Did you use the RCGF 26cc or another brand. I'm looking for a plane the RCGF 26 will power very well and like the Decath. THANKS,RACJ
Old 02-16-2010, 05:34 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: RACJ

Did you use the RCGF 26cc or another brand. I'm looking for a plane the RCGF 26 will power very well and like the Decath. THANKS,RACJ
The RCGF, yes
It runs like a rocket in the Decathlon but I also had to add a fair amount of aft ballast
Old 02-16-2010, 06:11 PM
RACJ

Thanks, good to know a good plane for this engine. I kinda suspect that while it might not be the strongest 26cc on the planet,I'll bet it's still a good engine with decent power. What prop worked on this combo?? THANKS,RACJ
Old 02-16-2010, 06:43 PM
apalsson

I used an 18x6
Old 02-18-2010, 09:14 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got one of these engines from Henry at RC Aero Products. It's nice looking and if it runs as well as my side carb RCFG 20s it should be fine. I also have the J-tec pitts type muffler for it but the bolt holes don't quite line up, but slight modification should fix the problem. I aquired a 72" KMP Hurricane used. I'm going to remove the 120 FS and install the gasser. Probably be a couple of weeks. I'll post how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93496.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1382042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99579.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1382043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17835.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1382044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16854.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1382045  
Old 03-11-2010, 11:12 PM
RBean

Ok, I've got the RCGF 20cc rear carb engine installed in the Hurricane. Only problem was the plane was still tail heavy and I ended up mounting the ignition modual and both batteries in front of the firewall. Managed to get plane to balance without dead weight. Ran the engine today with 30 to one mix. Since it was dry and new and hard to squart gas into the rear carb, had to use the electric started to get it going. Choke on and cranked until fired. Then choke off and cranked and started. I ran it between 2,500 and 3,000 rpm, rich, for about 20 minutes. Shut down and let cool. Then started up again with one flip. Adjusted the needles per "Tire Old Man" directions on RC Aero's website. Adjusted high first the low and then rechecked high and low. Engine is smooth, no excess vibration. Idle is 1,450 to 1,500 rpm. Top end is now 7,450 rpm with 16-8 three blade prop. But this is new engine using break in mix. I have a RCGF 20cc side carb which turns same prop over 7,800 rpm. I think once broken in and with 40 to 1 mix this engine will do the same. Using a J-Tec pitts type muffler. Hopefully will have a flight report in a week or two.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33552.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1396257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36963.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1396258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66450.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1396259  
Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 PM
cajun1

I have this engine and still breaking in. Problem is it will not choke. Needles are adjusted for good run, and choke butterfly is closing all the way. When cold the only way to crank is to place finger tight over carb intake. Then it will choke.

Once choked it starts fine and runs great. Restarts are first flip. But after draining gas fron tank, same old problem.

It seems I saw this problem on the long thread but don't want to reread 190 pages.

Anyone remember a fix.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 02:24 AM
sandal

cajun1;
Is there a hole in your choke plate? Soldering the hole might solve the problem.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
cajun1

Yes, there is a hole in the choke butterfly, and that was the next thing I was going to try. Just didn't want to pull the engine if I could get around it. And, that's only a workaround, as all other Walbro carbs I have run choked easilly. So, I am thinking something internally is not right.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:33 PM
rcpilot26
My Feedback: (3)

I have this same engine with the same choke problem and hope that someone knows the cure because im very happy with this engine once you get it started its good for the day but taking prop and cowl off to choke the engine is a pain.....
ORIGINAL: cajun1

I have this engine and still breaking in. Problem is it will not choke. Needles are adjusted for good run, and choke butterfly is closing all the way. When cold the only way to crank is to place finger tight over carb intake. Then it will choke.

Once choked it starts fine and runs great. Restarts are first flip. But after draining gas fron tank, same old problem.

It seems I saw this problem on the long thread but don't want to reread 190 pages.

Anyone remember a fix.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 09:53 PM
RBean

I've got the 72" ws KMP Hurricane flying. 13 lb 3 oz airplane. Engine richened up with 200 rpm drop, max now 7,200 rpm. Has adiquate power but could use more. On the last two flights it was occasionally four cycling at full throttle, so I'll lean it just a touch. A little more time on the engine and I'll go to 40 to one fuel mix and see what happens. Side carb with same prop 16-8 three blade turns 7,800 rpm. It has the stock muffler. It is also louder. Wonder if the J-Tec muffler is choking it down? I'll remove cowling and install the factory muffler and see what the difference is in rpm. Other than my wanting more power, it chokes well, starts easy and idles good.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 AM
RBean

I pulled the plug and it confirmed that engine was running rich. Leaned out about 1/8 turn. Now turning 7,450 or so. Replaced J-tec with stock muffler. Now getting about 7,500 rpm. But don't want to cut away half the cowling for the stock muffler. Whats the point in having a rear carb engine for a narrow cowling airplane if you are going the have to cut away a large part of the cowl and have a hugh muffler hanging out?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:57 PM
cajun1

Anyone know if the center prop bolt is a 8mmX1 pitch or a 8mmX1.25 pitch?

I can't find anything in the specs.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 01:11 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would like to install one of these in a Pica FW190. After seeing the hurricane pics, it looks like it would work great.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 AM
RBean

A word of caution. Use 4.8 V battery not 6 V. The instructions which come with the engine say to use 6 V for better high end performance. First my the engine would fire and run a short period and then stop. Then would'nt fire at all. Pulled the plug and it had a spark. But if I keep turning the prop the spark stopped. Called Bill Jensen (at BJ's Model Engine Service) who handles warranties for RC Aero Products. He said the factory couldn't get ignitions through it regular supplier, and switched to another. The new ignitions will not handle 6 V. Will last about six or seven flights and quit. I had seven flights on mine. Using a six volt battery. The Chinese didn't bother testing the new ignitions or telling anyone about the change or changing their instructions about batteries. Can't tell the difference between the new and old ignitions as they are marked the same. Bill is sending a new ignition. I'll report on results.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:49 AM
yearnin to Fly
My Feedback: (52)

Since I sell and fly several planes that have the RCGF 20cc engine on it, I want to chime in and state that I have 6 volt 2300 ma tenergy batteries on ALL of the RCGF engines I have installed on my planes, and I have never had any issues at all out of any of them.

I did however notice that the older RCGF ignitions at times could be troublesome, But the newer ones I am still running.

But also let it be known on the RCGF engines I sell, I now have converted them over to the Rcxel igntion.

I have 2 of the RCGF newer version ignitions I use on a test bench to run engines that I sell before shipping them and they both are using the 6 volt tenergy 2300 ma batteries.

I still have questions myself about the voltage these ignitions can take, so all I can do for now is post what I have experienced myself.

Keep this in mind, the Rcxel and RCGF ignitions all have a 2 year warranty on them.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: gasrchobbyengines

Since I sell and fly several planes that have the RCGF 20cc engine on it, I want to chime in and state that I have 6 volt 2300 ma tenergy batteries on ALL of the RCGF engines I have installed on my planes, and I have never had any issues at all out of any of them.

I did however notice that the older RCGF ignitions at times could be troublesome, But the newer ones I am still running.

But also let it be known on the RCGF engines I sell, I now have converted them over to the Rcxel igntion.

I have 2 of the RCGF newer version ignitions I use on a test bench to run engines that I sell before shipping them and they both are using the 6 volt tenergy 2300 ma batteries.

I still have questions myself about the voltage these ignitions can take, so all I can do for now is post what I have experienced myself.

Keep this in mind, the Rcxel and RCGF ignitions all have a 2 year warranty on them.
All of the RCEXL ignitions we are receiving now would be OK on 6 volts.They are using a two transistor amp in all of our units. If Xu Laing is useing the two tx amp they should all be OK on 6 volts.That is 6 volts not 6.5 or 7.4.They would probably be OK on A-123,If I was going to use A-123 I would put two Diodes in the + batt lead. I check all of them for currant drain up to 10,000 RPM.There can be a big difference in battery drain from one to another.On the CHRCEXL system I build here I test and grade the transistors and match them up,can build for any voltage up to 12 no regulator.It is very easy to tell if a RCEXL ignition has been over voltaged.I do not think this would be covered by warranty.I do not no the big deal about ignition batteries.Just use 4.8 and have fun.
BCCHI (AMA 2500).
Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 PM
RBean

gasrchobbyengines, I have two 20 cc side carbs and am using 6 V batteries and have had no problems. Had both for about a year. I switched one to 4.8 V and could tell no difference in how it ran. So the question is why run a 6 V battery at all. Why not just go with 4.8? Less voltage is suppose to create less heat.

Also, as you can see from the pictures of the installation in the Hurricane, the ignition is mounted on the lower firewall behind the muffler. No other place to mount it. Its getting direct cooling air on it but I'm concerned about heat from the muffler. If I put in inside the fusilage, up front under the gas tank it will be confined with little cooling air flow. So which would be better?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:22 PM
saintcreed
My Feedback: (205)

What's the best prop anyone has found for this engine..for best pulling power not speed wise....and does anyone know at what rpm this engine developes it highest or best torque...sure an engine can run X rpm's, but that X rmp's may have it over (rpm wise) it's most productive torque range...someone may be getting say 7500 rmp's which may be taking the engine out it's max torque range, which may be say 7200 rpm's.....anyone familar with engines knows what I'm trying to find out.....
Old 04-04-2010, 01:26 AM
gramps45

david are those tenergy 2300 mah batt. lipos ort nimh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.