Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 64 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 2428

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

ORIGINAL: Q500RC

Hey Henry welcome back!!! I'm glad things are working out finally for you! I too think your new plan sounds
    like a good one and look forward to dealing with Steve. I already use zoar props so I suppose I have already
    done business with him in a round about way as our LHS carries the Zoar Propellers!

I know you are going to announce some new things but can you tell us about your plans for the 23, 38 and
    the 60cc engines sizes and some kind of a educated guess on a time frame on availability?

Thanks Henry!

PS I would like to wish everyone a safe and a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

My understanding from a brief talk with Steve today is that they are all still in the works. As many of you know there are a few 60s being tested right now. Once these motors get the go ahead they will place an order for the motors.

As for the 23 and 38 both of these motors are waiting on chroming last I heard. Then they will go through the same process that the other motors before them have gone through.

I know this takes a little time. However, in the end it benefits everyone from the factory to the customer. As for time frame I am not sure, but if I hear anything I will let the forum know.

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

henry,
    i'm happy to hear you're doing well and expanding your business. when you have a second can you please send the optical kill switch that should have been included with my engine? is there any progress on a single bolt hub for the 56?
    regards,
    bart
    build fly rebuild

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well new motor and "brand" spark plug has arrived.
    Amazing service from Axar in spain!!!

New motor "feels" better.. maybe its in my head, but it just "looks" better put together.....
    Cant describe it, its like when you see bathroom tiles.. you can just feel which ones have air bubbles under them from the noise it makes and others which are well placed...
    Like I said, maybe its in my head but on friday morning iยดm off work iยดll fire it up and give it a go!!

Swapping the HAL sensor over was a no-brainer in the end.. I used the original motor to check its location, very easily done as the cylinder head was off.. and it was dead on where it should me.. I marked everything to go measuring, removed the screws then realised the obvious that the sensor mounting plastic is marked by the screws to its location. so I just took it to the new motor and made sure the screws hit dead on their original marks.. job done.
    Goldwing MX2 & DLE 30 + Harris smoke pump
    Seagull Super Tucano 91 & DLE 20
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

p.s. another thing I noticed, the original motor has a 9mm thread and a 10mm straight "base" for the prop shaft..
    the replacement is totally 9mm....

does this refer to any different versions or something?

however now means I need to replace the spinner and prop...
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 10mm prop shaft is the latest update that I know of. I have the smaller prop shaft and don't have any trouble with it.
    Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I made some linkage mods so I can hook the linkage up the way that I want to. Made a new arm and corrected the geometry for the servo location that I want to use. I'll finalize that when I get the plane. The choke is going to be manual and the rod will come out on the bottom of the cowl. Right now this will work for the run in stand. I would have had more done on the stand but I got called away to do some domestic honey doos.
    Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom that is similar to what I came up with on one of my engines with the same carb.
    edit: opps wrong carb, this one is a SDC80 not a WJ71.
    Quote: Hey, who put that tree there?
    Ultra Sport brotherhood #125
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tseres

I made some linkage mods so I can hook the linkage up the way that I want to. Made a new arm and corrected the geometry for the servo location that I want to use. I'll finalize that when I get the plane. The choke is going to be manual and the rod will come out on the bottom of the cowl. Right now this will work for the run in stand. I would have had more done on the stand but I got called away to do some domestic honey doos.
    I just left mine stock and moved adjusted it at the servo for a 1:1 ratio. I then adjusted the curve in my transmitter.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Super08

Tom that is similar to what I came up with on one of my engines with the same carb.
    edit: opps wrong carb, this one is a SDC80 not a WJ71.
    I kind of thought you and I think alike.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]Nice Job.
    Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: plane addicts

ORIGINAL: Tseres

I just left mine stock and moved adjusted it at the servo for a 1:1 ratio. I then adjusted the curve in my transmitter.

I never used the throttle curve adjustment in my radio before. I'm going to try it on this one.
    I did it like that so I don't have the throttle rod interfering with the adjustment needles and since I like the Spring loaded choke set up on the 28. I wanted to retain it on this carb also. I will remove the idle adjustment screw after I hook it up to the servo in the plane. I find it easier to adjust the servo throws that way. Once that is set up I don't ned the screw anymore.
    Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I was lucky and didnt have to make an extention on either of my planes so far I had the motor on.

BTW Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, new motor!!
    Today i'm working late so got up nice and early and headed to the club, nobody here so no one to annoy while tuning!

Wow! What a change! Initially i was worried as i couldnt get it to start but it turns out it arrived with the low needle at one turn out and the high completely closed.
    After 10 mins of tuning i had it in the air!!
    First flight it was gurgling quite a bit so for the 2nd i leaned it slightly.
    For the 2nd flight it sounded like gradually through the flight it was loosing power at high revs, to the point that i cut the flight early and landed.

When i pick up the plane and point it say 45 degrees down the engine slows, and nose up the engine speeds up??
    Does this mean bad carb like said earlier or is this normal?
    Its doing the same on uplines in flight, definetely loosing power as it climbs.

Finally, flying on. 16x8, would the be 16x9 better for pattern flying or the 8?
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1

So, new motor!!
    Today i'm working late so got up nice and early and headed to the club, nobody here so no one to annoy while tuning!

Wow! What a change! Initially i was worried as i couldnt get it to start but it turns out it arrived with the low needle at one turn out and the high completely closed.
    For the 2nd flight it sounded like gradually through the flight it was loosing power at high revs, to the point that i cut the flight early and landed.

When i pick up the plane and point it say 45 degrees down the engine slows, and nose up the engine speeds up??

You are messing with the motor to much. You have to let it break in. It takes a little time. Did you peak it out at the top end? Go yo max RPM that you can get. Reduce it by 200rpm. Leave that as your setting no matter what for now. Adjust the low needle to where it takes throttle smoothly. Now fly 2 gallons of gas through it and leave it alone. It doesn't mater where your needles are set. They need to be set where the engine runs. Every one is a little different.

Remember You have to break it in before it runs great. Break it in! Break it in! Break it in!
    Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good morning Tom!

Hope your feeling good and stuffed after yesterday!!

Ok, now I'm going to be a pain!! LOL I totally agree with you on the set it and run it BUT the two gallon rule. I'm not picking on you because it seems all the manufacturers use the same rule. I really think they need a better rule!!

If you run a 26cc on two gallons for break in lets say you get 20 minutes on a 10 ounce tank about 8 1/2 hour break in
    If you run a 56cc on two gallons for break in lets say you get 20 minutes on a 20 ounce tank about 4 1/4 hour break in
    If you run a 112cc on two gallons for break in lets say you get 20 minutes on a 40 ounce tank about 2 1/8 hour break in

Seems like there should be a better rule thats all.

Ok, I'm going back in my hole now ....

Andy
    ULTRA SPORT BROTHERHOOD #120
    GOLDBERG TIGER CLUB #10
    CLUB SAITO #590

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

God morning Andy. Yes I'm stuffed. I trust you are to.

I agree with what you are saying. I just would like ceecrb1 to be a little more patient. I was the same way not to long ago. You probably remember that. He will have it running great before then but he needs to know that it won't happen overnight. Right now he is just baffled because he thinks it should be better. But it's new and the hardest thing to do is wait for something to run like it should. Some how we have to make him realize that if he keeps twisting on things, it will take him longer to achieve his goals. Now that you let the cat out of the bag he needed an explanation.

PS: The prop is to small for the engine and he shouldn't be doing up lines for about 5 tank fulls. The engine could be slowing down cause it's overheating if he has the cowl on. The outlet air on the bottom of the cowl should be 2 to 1 ratio to the intake, minimum. Don't know what could be causing the rpm change while tilting the plane if the engine don't die while in the tail up position. I do know that it will run better with time.

Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup!

Will run better with time with out a doubt. I have on of my engines needs more time but its going in for other reasons. I know it won't get run in until spring now but have time to get things right. I'm running batteries down a little as we speak for storage until spring.

Andy
    ULTRA SPORT BROTHERHOOD #120
    GOLDBERG TIGER CLUB #10
    CLUB SAITO #590

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1

So, new motor!!

I agree with old Tom, at least for the next 2 gallons of gas, just set it and forget it, and break it in! IMO a 16x?? is not enough prop for this engine. I used a Xoar 18/6 for break in and that's what I still use for everyday flying. As for the engine losing rpm with the nose slightly down, mine still does it, and it is fully broken in. I went through 3 exchanges and they all showed this peculiarity. This issue was addressed but never completely solved, IMO. It has nothing to do with the engine itself or the carb, it has everything to do with the reed block design. The ones sold here in the US were modified with an extra part added to the reed block which improves the tilt down effect (does not completely eliminate it) but at the price of losing rpm's at the top end due to reduced flow of fuel into the engine. This is just my personal opinion, and it is based on my own personal experience.
    I\'m only in it for the money...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry I had my iphone fingers out there I did mean 18x6!!!

I am NOT adjusting the motor.. i promise!!

Had another flight this evenging after work.. thats 4 in one day!!! Mirracle

This afternoon there were some others at the club, their opinion is that it even sounds different.

When iยดm inverted there is a very noticble drop in RPM.. again, normal breakin thing or should I be talking to dealer about something?
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very tough to diagnose via internet. However, generally a loss of RPM without accompanying rough running (4-stroking) would indicate a lean condition. I would open the low end up a bit at a time and see if that helps. In-air mixture control sure would be handy at times.

I have an RCGF 45 that would quit suddenly with no warning every time the planed pushed negative Gs. Kept opening the low end until it would run through negative Gs without quitting. On a lark, I checked the timing. It was set at 19 degrees BTDC instead of 28 degrees. I adjusted the timing to 28 degrees. With the two adjustments, it now runs very well.

I will also echo what the other guys have said. Run a couple of gallons through it before you get too worried about performance. Also, always make carb adjustments when the engine is warmed up.

I have two JC 28s. One has a gallon through it and the other two tankfuls. Both run well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Like i say, its only when inverted, performing a roll and even I tried a tumble, and same thing, drop in RPM during the maneuver

Other than that.. things are SOOOOOO much better than the first engine.. trust me the difference is like night and day!!
    This engine I dont NEED to go playing with the carb.. the last one I did!

This engine just reminds me so much more of a standard "new" 2 stroke glow.. same "experience".. Ie high rpm.. short on power, but its giving you hints of what the end result will be!
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now you say you hear a drop of RPM on a roll or tumble. is this for a split second. My reason for asking is that you redirecting the sound of the engine through the muffler away from you for a few seconds. I found this to be something that made me uncomfortable when I first flew gassers. I was so use to listening to the high pitch scream of a glow engine lol. So when I got my first gassers the muffled sould made me think my engine was not running right.

Like a broken record fly it for a while more you sound like you are doing ok.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the run in box finished up and mounted everything to see how it fits. I have the same gripe with every engine I have. The prop screws are to short. Got a beilla 27-10 mounted on it and it looks like the prop is to thick. But it is also possible that the center shaft is to short. The center shaft is just long enough to mount the prop and prop washer. Of course the prop washer is pretty sloppy on the shaft. This I found to be a problem on every engine except DA. So you say what is the big deal. Well it's balance. It is very hard to center up the washer so it don't run out. If it runs out then it will put your prop assembly out of balance. That isn't good for the bearings. i want to use a spinner so the center shaft will be to short with the prop that I have.[:@]
    Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Box set-up looks good. Have you ran her yet. If you need longer bolts you can get some at fastenal. I had to to this to install my spinner and Xoar prop on my MXSR.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: plane addicts

Box set-up looks good. Have you ran her yet. If you need longer bolts you can get some at fastenal. I had to to this to install my spinner and Xoar prop on my MXSR.
    No I have not run it yet. I live in town and will have to take it to the flying site so my neighbors don't get huffy with me. I plan on using screws to fasten it to the set up bench. Should be solid and it should also dampen vibrations since the bench is made of wood.
    I'll probably try running it next week end. I still need to get a temp gage to monitor the temp. That way I know when to shut it down to cool. Don't want to over heat it.
    Old Tom

Page 64 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast