Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Tseres

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

I forgot to mention and the picture isn't to clear. The aluminum flat stock is the manual throttle servo. It is connected by a ball link to nirod to activate the throttle. The arm is secured by velcro from rotating to keep it at an RPM that I want to run the engine at. This way I don't need a radio, receiver and a servo to operate the throttle. I think this setup will work well but I'll tell you if it don't. I'm sure I'll take a short video of the start up. A friend of mine wants to be there for the start up. I might as well use him as a camera man.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Q500RC

Hey Tseres nice test stand! I use a steel saw horse from lowes to bolt the box to it comes with like .250" holes in it about 2" from each end
as I remember. Only thing you need to tie it down to a tree or a stake or it will try to fly on ya! Especially with that twin!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Q500RC

Hey Tseres nice test stand! I use a steel saw horse from lowes to bolt the box to it comes with like .250'' holes in it about 2'' from each end
as I remember. Only thing you need to tie it down to a tree or a stake or it will try to fly on ya! Especially with that twin!
That's why I'm going to bolt it down to a setup stand at the field.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 AM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

Tseres, might I ask, what is the gauge in # 3 picture?. Thanks, Bill
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 AM
aussiesteve

I'm not Tom but I can answer your question.

It is an RCExcel Tacho. They plug into the 3rd set of wires coming fom the ignition (I often I get asked what the 3rd set of wires is for). Or it can be "y: leaded to the hall sensor line on the earlier ones. Takes the need to hold a photo tach near the prop.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:26 AM
barchiola
My Feedback: (6)

do those little tachs draw much from the ignition battery? are they typically left in the plane while it's flying or only used for set-up?
thanks,
bart
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: barchiola

do those little tachs draw much from the ignition battery? are they typically left in the plane while it's flying or only used for set-up?
thanks,
bart
I don't know how much electricity it draws but its minimal and so is the weight. I use mine for a few flights till the engine is broke in then I take it out. The novelty will wear off then it will be another tool like your screw diver. I have mine on velcro and can switch it from plane to plane. I do have 3 Tach's however. I had four but one of my flying buddies got one off of me for an early Christmas present.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks,
bart
Bart,

The tachos only draw between 25 and 60mAh from your ignition battery, depending on the ignition battery voltage and RPM.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 PM
barchiola

thanks guys. those look pretty handy.
i should order one from henry and just have him send it with the kill switch that was missing from the engine i bought.
regards,
bart
Old 11-29-2010, 12:41 PM
plane addicts
My Feedback: (271)

They are a very hand thing to have around. We sell this things a good bit. I install them the same way that Tom does. Like he said there is no since in having them stuck in the same airframe after you got it set-up.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 96" Cessna 152 where I tried to detail the cabin and the instrument panel with some scale items.
For looks, I fitted a battery tester to show through the instrument panel and also one of those tachos so that you can see them light up in the cabin when the receiver and ignition is on.
It also allows me to quickly see when the ignition is armed without having to crouch down and look through the openings on the front of the cowling.

It ended up looking quite good
Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 PM
meanrc
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: apalsson

I have a 96'' Cessna 152 where I tried to detail the cabin and the instrument panel with some scale items.
For looks, I fitted a battery tester to show through the instrument panel and also one of those tachos so that you can see them light up in the cabin when the receiver and ignition is on.
It also allows me to quickly see when the ignition is armed without having to crouch down and look through the openings on the front of the cowling.

It ended up looking quite good
That sounds nice, how about a picture sone time.

Thanks Jk
Old 11-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Tseres

Looks like RCU still don't have the system 100%.

I decided to go out and fire up the 112 yesterday. I thought my day was going to be easy but it wasn't. I had problems with the choke. When I got there It almost fired up. But the choke is a two piece set up that if you lock in the plastic part it looks like you have the choke on but it's wide open. If I had it on the plane instead of the stand I wouldn't have had any problems at all because I would have had to use the choke rod assembly to activate the choke. I also ran into another problem. I don't think that there is a positive stop for the carb lever on this carb. The engine runs great to a point then it drops about 500 rpm. So I didn't get the engine tuned like I should have.It is a learning curve. I have to learn the idiosyncrasies of the engine. I did a lot of flipping of the prop because I didn't understand the choke. I discovered it at home afterwards. So I deleted most of the flipping from the video.
The reason i decided to fire up the engine yesterday cause the forecast was in the 50s for a high. They are calling for a high of 35 and snow for the weekend coming up.

Here is the vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHaTx3VKyYc
Old 11-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Tseres

One more thing. Those of you that know more about the wide open throttle position on the carb. Tell me what you know and how to make it work.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:16 AM
barchiola

tom,
if it's like other carbs without a stop, you'll just dial in the wide open point with the throttle servo via your radio. i had the same problem you did a few weeks ago with an older G62. i couldn't really tune it because my throttle pushrod (aka finger) couldn't hold wide open precisely enough.
have fun. how many days could you heat the house by burning that prop?
bart
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Tseres

tom,
if it's like other carbs without a stop, you'll just dial in the wide open point with the throttle servo via your radio. i had the same problem you did a few weeks ago with an older G62. i couldn't really tune it because my throttle pushrod (aka finger) couldn't hold wide open precisely enough.
have fun. how many days could you heat the house by burning that prop?
bart
Thanks Bart. That is what I thought.
The prop is carbon fiber. Don't know how well it would burn. I think the house would stay cold. Now if i sold it i could probably pay off the national debt. LOL.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Tseres

RCU won't let me upload pictures.

The first snow has arrived. That usually is the official start of the building season for me. Only 3 more months till flying season.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

Tseres, Tom, as the saying goesjoin the crowd who lives in the north. But-what are you building?
I agree, when is spring coming.?? Bill
Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: RCplanman

Tseres, Tom, as the saying goesjoin the crowd who lives in the north. But-what are you building?
I agree, when is spring coming.?? Bill
I'm used to the great White North. Not as bad as the upper midwest states but I got to old to really like it. I just tolerate it now.

I was planning on the 100cc PAU Extra. I got fond of the Sbochs the last few months so as of today it's not set in concrete. I still don't have a plane. Maybe Redwing RC will get in a 100 cc Sboch. Nah, Just wishful thinking.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Hah...snow. It's still sunny and high 60's low 70's here in Texas. Being that snow in Texas literally happens when he|| freezes over, there's really no end to flying season. Days where it actually stays below freezing all day are few and far between, unless it's at night, and you aren't flying then anyway.

Back to my original point of posting, what was the AUW on your JC28 equipped CMP Cub, Tom?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: cold_reboot

Hah...snow. It's still sunny and high 60's low 70's here in Texas. Being that snow in Texas literally happens when he|| freezes over, there's really no end to flying season. Days where it actually stays below freezing all day are few and far between, unless it's at night, and you aren't flying then anyway.

Back to my original point of posting, what was the AUW on your JC28 equipped CMP Cub, Tom?
The Cub was 13# 6oz. on the fish scale.

I thought you guys had snow there about a month ago.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
cold_reboot

No snow, cold rain, well, cold for us Texans, you all probably would have been in shorts. It was sunny and about 68-70 or so this afternoon (we had a "cold" front come through monday). Wind was blowing this morning through mid-day but it dropped to 0 at about 4pm. Almost threw a battery in the park flier and stepped out into the front yard.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 PM
aussiesteve

Hey Cold_reboot
I know it can get real cold there. I was in Houston for the White Christmas of 2005
Gotta admit though - your flying weather there is almost as good as ours is here - never heard of snow in Perth - not once, not ever on record. But we don't have any barbecue restaurants here - well not like real ones you guys have so I guess there is a price for all thigns good.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 PM
cold_reboot

Don't forget the Tex-Mex... artery cloggin goodness
Old 12-02-2010, 12:03 AM
erieqc

Hey if any of you guys are interested I'm selling my JC 28 $225 shipped pm if interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.