anyone running the fg-14?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:59 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running the fg-14?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAIEG14B
does anyone have one? if so what rpm numbers are you seeing? whats the weights w/ everything needed?
for 430 it isnt horrible, far from cheap, but it could make up glowfuel cost, if it runs well.

they are in stock at hh, surprised i havnt heard anything on them
Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 AM
aussiesteve

Default RE: anyone running the fg-14?

There are a couple of guys here that fly them in typical "60 sized" planes.
I dont know the specifics on RPM's and weights they are getting but I know they love them and they sure seem to perform well for them. One has his in a Profile and he throws it around with the best of them. He previously had a Saito 72 Glow in the same plane and from a spectators viewpoint it is a good match.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:38 AM
jimmyjames213

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

There are a couple of guys here that fly them in typical ''60 sized'' planes.
I dont know the specifics on RPM's and weights they are getting but I know they love them and they sure seem to perform well for them. One has his in a Profile and he throws it around with the best of them. He previously had a Saito 72 Glow in the same plane and from a spectators viewpoint it is a good match.
the .72 is more of a 40 sized engine, i wouldnt mind trying one out im just worried about the weight, hh says about 21 oz, if thats w/ ignition thats not bad at all. if it totals below 25oz with everything (including battery) it would great for sports flying, not so much 3d, although if you were to throw the ignition and such on the cg or close to it may not be half bad
Old 03-14-2010, 02:51 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The high tesion lead on the FG-14 is rather short. You will be lucky to get the module behind the firewall.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:06 PM
jimmyjames213

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The high tesion lead on the FG-14 is rather short. You will be lucky to get the module behind the firewall.
figures, prob trying to save weight
if anyone that has one would give me any info that would be great
Old 03-14-2010, 09:03 PM
MercerAUST

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've posted a couple of times on the Saito FG-14 which ahs been available in Australia for nearly 6 months. I installed mine in a H9 Pulse 60. All the components fitted in well in the compartment behind the firewall (and using a smaller 100ml fuel tank) and the plane balanced up nicely without having to add any weights.

I only had a few flights before I crashed due to a brown out on landing (ignition wire touched the metal throttle cable - my fault). The engine is fine for a fairly sparse 60 size plane, but will be underpowered on a fully laden warbird. I can fix my plane, but the brass needle insert for the carby broke off and the carby body has to be replaced.

My main grips is the poor service from Saito. I've had the carb body on order for over 3 months. I even tried to see if the carby fron the FG-20 would fit, but the Australian distributor says they are different.