Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Question To Jody

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
lou1947

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question To Jody

Thinking of getting a motor from Valley View. I have heard about the MT 35. I have a ccrc 40 kit and I am happy with it but it seems that the Mt35 has more power than my 40. It seems to swing an 18x8 prop higher than 7500 which is what I can get with my Crrc. I know that you are a dealer for both so I would like your thoughts. Thanks for any replies.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:50 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question To Jody

The differences between these two engines are immense; it's like comparing a FordGalaxy to a Chevy Z-28.

There are exceptions to every rule and the old adage that there is no replacement for displacement is certainly broken here. Also, don't ever put stock into HP numbers touted by any manufacturer unless they publish their dyno charts along with it. Even if it comes anywhere close to the stated output it may not be anywherenear the loads and target RPM of the intended application.

While the CRRC 40 kit engine is, most of the time,a decent running engine it most certainly is no power house, it was not designed to be a high performance engine in any way. Itserves it's intended purpose very wellof piquing the interests of hobbyists that are intrigued with engine internals and would like to afford-ably learn something about what makes them tick andhowengine parts relate to one another.Though some parts of it could have beendonebetter, it is a pretty robust little engine that will tow a 10-14 lb. (or bigger)plane around pretty good.

The intention of theMT35 is compact, light weight performance, period. They are not perfect butso far they are doing very well and yes, it can outperform the GF40I on all props if weight is factored in. The 35 is a new product and so farhas proven itself in flight on but a few aircraft, I feel fortunate to haveone of them. It is very powerful for it size and weight, easy to start, easy to mount, comes with avery good industry standard ignition system, and has a warranty, the GF40Iislacking many of those attributes.Time will tell if the MT35 willlast as long we all hope itwill but theMTfactory has already proven itself in the past to listen and toimprove on their products based on the input of knowledgeable users.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 PM
trs3243

I have one of the new MT35 engines, aside from a loose drive hub {temp repair with lock tite] I will apin a 18/ 8 zinger7850 rpm 1300 good idle.all after 1 gallon of fuel. eng temps are in reasonable range. My concern is static timing. The static timing as it was delivered reads 55 degre before tdc. Is this correct? I think i remember you stating 25 degree. The present mounting screws will not allow for this mutch adjustment.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Not even going there...
Old 05-27-2010, 11:01 PM
jedijody

Hey, get out of my thread!

I find it hard to believe that the engine would run like you describe if the timing was set as you state. You might want to turn the crankshaft in the direction of engine rotation while watching the degree wheel and listening for the snap of the ignition.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:10 AM
trs3243

Jody, you were correct. I was trying to find tdc with a magnetic base dial indicator. I used a 10mm bolt and located true tdc. The factory setting was off 5 degrees, possibly accredited to loose prop drive hub.
Thanks for your help,
Terry Sechrest
Old 05-28-2010, 10:48 AM
jedijody

Well done, the sloppy fitting prop drive is a little bothersome but notso bad to cause any real problems, it's being addressed.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 PM
2robinhood

How does the MT-35 compare to the rear carb DLE-30 ?