Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CRRC-pro GP26R 26cc gas engine information thread.

I am looking at fitting one of the CRRC tuned canister exhausts mentioned in the earlier, but will have to make up a new manifold. Does anyone know if the length is critical, or is it just a marketing sales pitch?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In the earlier days of "Pattern Flying" having a tuned pipe required it be "tuned" to maximum RPM. This was accomplished by shortening the stock header that either came with the tuned pipe or was sold separately. I recommend following any instructions that come with the pipe and header. If you are not concerned about RPM or feel it is not a significant part of the aircraft performance (given the design and intent of use for the actual aircraft), then go ahead and "experiment".
    ORIGINAL: paul.adams10

I am looking at fitting one of the CRRC tuned canister exhausts mentioned in the earlier, but will have to make up a new manifold. Does anyone know if the length is critical, or is it just a marketing sales pitch?
    Ron\'\'s Hangar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have had one of these engines for the last 7 or 8 months. I have about 50 flights on mine. The reed valve cage broke. Both of the center sections broke out during flight, but not to worry as dogsome shows in his pic a metal reed cage. I got one of the rcgf 26cc reed valves and cage for around 13 dollars. I modded the original isolator and had to widen the back plate section and all is well. I will run this engine tomorrow to see how it does after removing the cylinder gasket and raising the exhuast and boost ports.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alas, mine is Kaput [:@]

Receiver went South, stopped listening and my 5 year old YAK54 went straight down []

Crankshaft bent.
    Bearings notchy.
    Rod jumped off and tried to escape via backplate.

(wings, fuz, canopy, cowling and prop all destroyed. I have one servo, an undercarriage and battery that are fine though )
    肉(rΓ²u)εŒ…(bāo)ε*(zi)打(dǎ)η‹—(gΗ’u) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
    Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun :-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That sucks. well get some parts and her going again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have another GP26R for $188.00 PP. On the subject of "experimentation"... Anyone who may want to experiment with engine performance ... Keep in mind, the model engine is designed to operate within its designed performance envelope. I have had friends who wanted to squeeze out as much performance as they could. In response, I would port and polish intake and exhaust ports and manifolds. Some results included holes burning through the piston. The problem with the butterfly valve Eclipse mentions above could have been a manufacturing defect, since it was only 7 months old. However, inadequate break-in time or technique could also contribute to failures. Thank goodness the valve was not made of metal. Think about it. With respect to eclipso, I am not assuming the engine was experiemented with or misshandled in any way.

My advice to anyone is follow the manufacturer's recommendations for operating the engine. I use 92 octane fuel, nothing hotter. By the way, I found a gas station who sells alcohol-free gasoline. It costs a little more but still far less than glow fuel. Use propellers recommended in the manual. During break-in, vary the power settings and never allow the engine to run at peak RPM for any extended period of time. If someone has never operated a gas engine for models, I recommend mounting it on a test stand first. This will afford the opportunity to see if the engine is the right one for the model. An example is if the model does not specify the gas engine as part of the recommended power plants. Another reason is to become familiar with how a gas engine runs. Usually, they present a little more vibration than the glow-fuel version. All else, running the engine on a test stand makes it easier to adjust mixtures and idle setting adjustments. The idle adjustment I am referring to is the adjustment screw that pushes against the throttle lever/bell crank.
    Ron\'\'s Hangar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not trying to bash the product. I really like this engine. I have had it since new and broke it in per user manual. This engine has been great aside from the broken reed cage. You are right ron I am glad it wasn't metal, although every piece was still in the reed cage(crazy I know). I could not seem to find anyone who actually carry the spare parts so I went with the rcgf reeds and cage. I decided not to mess with port timing but I did take the whole engine apart and cleaned all the carbon out and so forth. It is now running again just like new. I do how ever need more power as it will run an 18x6 Mejzlik @ 8600 rpm I'm only getting 12 lbs of thrust. It is fine for Imac style flying but I would like to have more power, say around 14 to 15 lbs. for my 9.5 lbs. plane. I live in Tucson and have come to the understanding that all engines and prop combos will work better than it usually does here with our extreme heat and average density altitude of around 6000'.

Again I really like this engine, it is probably one of the most powerful and reliable 26cc engines out there. Until the reed cage broke I have always been able to start this engine with 2 flips choked and one flip un-choked. I have video of me flying this thing in an Imac event even with the reed cage broke, I thought it was just a fuel leak, it still did what it was meant to do.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good to hear Eclipse. As far as power goes, you're not far away from peak performance with 8600, 400RPM to go. Higher altitude does make a difference in power. I came from Tucson and had to go to Florida ( sea-level), under military orders. I preferred AZ over FL.

If you haven't tried it, work with smaller props with greater pitch, and see what thrusts can be obtained. Good luck!
    Ron\'\'s Hangar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron:
    I have a GF26I V2 I bought a year of so ago from GravityBites, a dealer in Louisiana. Side mount carb. It was broken in on a Pulse 125, but now have it in a new plane. Aeroworks 30cc Edge 540. I am not doing 3D, so felt I would be fine with a 26cc engine. I am running a 17x8 Xoar prop. I am getting about 6700-6900 RPM and not getting quite the power I would like. Would like your opinion about the prop. Should I change it to develop more power. Which way? Any help would be appreciated. I am in NC at about 2000" elevation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FYI - I have the GP26R (rear carb).  I am using it on an ESM Stuka (about 16 to 17 Lbs).  I first flew it with a 18 x 6  composite prop and it took a long roll out and was a bit sloppy on lift off and climb.  I changed to a Xoar 18 x 8 wood prop and the difference was dramatic.  Musch better acceleration on roll out and climb rate was excellent.  Obviously the engine could pull the 18 x 8, so I got the benefit of good thrust from the 18 inch diameter and the needed speed from the 8 pitch.  A great combo for the heavier warbird.  I have about 3 hours on mine and it has run flawlessly.
    ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay, good to see the different performnce reslts from different props. soco32, what brand of composit prop were you using? Some of those are heavier than wood. Weight of props asside, since the larger prop is giving more performance, we can conclude there was power to spare with the smaller prop and now, using the 18", you are taking advantage of the available power of the GP26.

Altitude makes a difference with models, much as it does with the real airplane. Higher altitudes render thinner air. Add heat and the "density altitude" increases significantly. One will have to experiment with different props (both pitch and diameter) to obtain optimum performance.

dmohring, try starting with an 18X6, then try the 18X8 like soco32 did above. The xoar laminated prop does have a thicker airfoil section. Xoar laminated or the beachwood is okay as a starting point. The laminated is a rigid prop in comparison to the solid wood types.
    Ron\'\'s Hangar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Master Air Screw 18 x  6.  Not a good match for my application.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have owned three CRRC engines Pro 26I ( manufacturing defect at prop hub cracks at key way) GP26R I have broken this engine per directions and have it on a Sig 4 star very hard 1st start and will run with the choke on (for a few seconds) after warm up starts in 3 flips. Big problem is with a hand full of flights I see oil coming from the prop hub and some (a small amount) of play rear bearing going. And finally Idle down if you set your Idle any lower than 2010 rpm the engine will cut out when up pull back stick to idle you have to ease it to idle. That's with longer arms at carb. My GP 50R needed to be timed bounce's at idle (rough) the prop bolts shipped with the engine are to short and stripped the hub trying to mount the prop. Finally CRRC customer service (this is not a statement against the distributors they are trying to make a buck and do well with parts) the factory has it's head in a hole located at the rear, making EBAY sold engine not warranty. Because there attempting to price fix. Ebay is how I found out who they were! Now sorry that I do Save your self the time money and nonsense buy any thing other than CRRC!

Robert
    \"I know everything?\" (yeah right!)
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One thing we try to do is not make assumptions regarding a manufacturer's intentions. As an authorized dealer and with many years’ experience in the industry, a manufacturer certifies a dealer through known experience the dealer has, and also trustworthiness. Ask ourselves "Would I trust a seller of my product I do not know or cannot certify, to sell my product?” Anyone can get an engine from anyone else, and sell it. Sometimes the seller does not reveal the problems or does not know what the problem may be and just wants to "unload" it. I had one individual who just purchased an engine off eBay, only to find the front bearing was bad from the beginning. I agree with CRRC Pro to NOT pass on any warranty through any eBay seller who may sell their products.

Everything we buy today is not beyond having some sort of defect. Any manufacturer will miss an item and it get past quality assurance and it just happens to be bad. QA does not inspect every component of every engine.

There are also many variables when it comes to "fuels". We all know alcohol is added to gas now. There are some stations who "claim" there is no alcohol in their gas. I verified that with one of those stations and I now buy my gas from them. Alcohol is not good on some parts that are installed in the Walbro carb. I recommend the 92 grade fuel, alcohol free. The other variable is how old the gas is. Has it been open and exposed during cold weather? The container it is in. I can go on and on.

Bottom line is, buy from an authorized dealer so that you are protected, through that dealer. Most of the time, the engine can be sent back to the dealer for check-out and repair.

One more additional bit of info. THe DLE is made the same way as the CRRC Pro, dispite the external differences. The crankshaft is manufactured using the same "press-fit" process as the CRRC engiens using the same process. It is this process that sometimes result in missaligned bearing surfaces that result in bearing falures.
    Ron\'\'s Hangar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What silencer have you guys found to be quite on theses engines, the stock one even covered in silicone is still very loud
    www.letterkennymodelflyingclub.com
    www.jmaireland.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BCM in cowl are LOUDER! Argh!

I use cast aluminium boxes. These are very quiet.

肉(rΓ²u)εŒ…(bāo)ε*(zi)打(dǎ)η‹—(gΗ’u) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
    Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun :-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aluminum "Electrical junction boxes"? Maybe adding a metal dish washing "scrub-pad" (other than steel wool) inside the box can add to the silencing effect.
    Ron\'\'s Hangar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dmohring

Ron:
    I have a GF26I V2 I bought a year of so ago from GravityBites, a dealer in Louisiana. Side mount carb. It was broken in on a Pulse 125, but now have it in a new plane. Aeroworks 30cc Edge 540. I am not doing 3D, so felt I would be fine with a 26cc engine. I am running a 17x8 Xoar prop. I am getting about 6700-6900 RPM and not getting quite the power I would like. Would like your opinion about the prop. Should I change it to develop more power. Which way? Any help would be appreciated. I am in NC at about 2000'' elevation.
    The side carb version is very popular at our field. The most common prop used is APC 17 x 6.
    Oops!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what's a good size gas tank for this engine (GF26I) without compromising weight? I was told that 16oz. is too much, would 8 or 10 oz be ok?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

8 or 10 are good. 16 is what I use in my 50cc stuff.

I do have a .60 size stick with a 14oz tank and a zen 20ei, it commonly flies for 25 min. on that much gas.
    Oops!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: robertwilkerson

I have owned three CRRC engines Pro 26I ( manufacturing defect at prop hub cracks at key way) GP26R I have broken this engine per directions and have it on a Sig 4 star very hard 1st start and will run with the choke on (for a few seconds) after warm up starts in 3 flips. Big problem is with a hand full of flights I see oil coming from the prop hub and some (a small amount) of play rear bearing going. And finally Idle down if you set your Idle any lower than 2010 rpm the engine will cut out when up pull back stick to idle you have to ease it to idle. That's with longer arms at carb. My GP 50R needed to be timed bounce's at idle (rough) the prop bolts shipped with the engine are to short and stripped the hub trying to mount the prop. Finally CRRC customer service (this is not a statement against the distributors they are trying to make a buck and do well with parts) the factory has it's head in a hole located at the rear, making EBAY sold engine not warranty. Because there attempting to price fix. Ebay is how I found out who they were! Now sorry that I do Save your self the time money and nonsense buy any thing other than CRRC!

Robert

Here is a problem. A guy with experience with what he claims to be 3 of the same old engine. He may have only had older ones because they supposedly fixed the cracked hub issue and also he never states where they came from besides reference to ebay. Please try to find a post about your engines as this thread is for the rear carb version as it states in the title Gp26R. These engines are far better than the 26I and put out much more power.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: eclipso

]
    Ok let me make myself clear, I did own the first of the 26cc engines It is called the I series and have sold the under powered item, in response you all there are better choices I purchased the gp26r from SDS hobby guess who owns them! Experience is not with just one model but as I mentioned both the 26 I and gpr and the 50r; this post to for the 26r my problems are as reported hard to start have to use starter when cold. Timing is at 28 checked it. (have thought about moving it to 26) there is a mid range vibration and cannot get a reliable idle less than 2010 rpm use 40 to1 after 5 hours changed plug to NGH seems to help bottom end. Oh this engine was not purchased through ebay! Finally oil leak at front bearing all three engines have had a problem, yes some get past QC I don't think it exist with CRRC. I really think the problem is you have to repair,replace or send back to get repaired. ARE YOU aware of shipping cost these days.. Buy what you want I won't be the expert but I can give my experience take it or leave it. CRRC has to resolve the defects before they leave the factory not at the end user level!!!
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All that being said why is DLE engines have less problems and have more power. CRRC is far from quality and from what I understand are not willing to correct the issues or accept any fault. Sell them I am sure you will be getting return customer (buying Parts).
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh! and before I forget these engines were new in the box so before you make any "assumptions"! Buy CRRC buy parts to make them run but the price is right. UMMM let's see engine $179.00 Front and rear bearings $15.00 gaskets @3.50 seals $6.00
    Shipping $5.00 and the pleasure of doing work on your brand new engine total 208.50 that's if you by the engine from the Manufacture Hobby shop. Could have got a DLE at full retail for $250.00 and that is a 30cc with almost 1 horse more. The best part is that after I spend my money doing the repairs it will just cost me more and that knowing the make me warm all over feeling that I had purchased it from authorized dealer. Ask past authorized dealers (Valley View) you to can be sitting here looking at all the CRRC pro part packages you will need as I am doing right now.
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, I thought I was getting a good engine, club members had no problems with it, I never ran mine yet, still brand new, now I'm concerned, must admit, all my gas engines are DL, 2,50cc, and 1,55cc, I payed under $150, for the ccrc26I, dont tell me I made a mistake!!!![]

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast