Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito - Pro FG 20

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:53 PM
rmalko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito - Pro FG 20

Starting a new thread for those who have a positive interest in the FG 20.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:54 PM
YUKONFLYR

Default RE: Saito - Pro FG 20

I Have a new FG-20 in the box, came from Saito with the updated carb. I hope to get it going in a Top Flite .60 size mustang
I am keeping a positive attitude about the engine and hope that it will suit the application.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:01 PM
rmalko

Best of luck with it. The manual is much better now with since it has been re-written. The FG 20 should be plenty of power for a 60 size.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:42 PM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

Good call on the new thread! Bravo!
If I get a chance I can try and summarize some of the good info lost in the muck of the original thread. Or someone can...
Old 04-02-2010, 11:03 PM
grgfraz

i am trying mine tomarrow it sounds good on the ground we will see , be sure you have a good spark plug and if it starts acting up change the plug. i have been cleaning them with brake cleaner and blowing them off seems to work well, i think i am still on the rich side so i will have to lean it out slowly
Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 AM
IEATSRT

Yes... looking forward to hearing some good things about it instead of all the complaining and trashing. Thanks rmalko for starting this.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:26 AM
rmalko

Yeah, it just felt like time for a change. I think positive info here would be more interesting. I have the new carb on my FG20 but haven't tried it yet. I was going to also try the Cline regulator but then decided to go with the Perry Pump for 4 stroke gas instead. I hope next week I will get the chance to try it out and let you know how it does.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is for POSITIVE comments only!

If you have critical comments like buy another type engine, boat anchor, rat amo, etc . . . . Click off now and go play elsewhere!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Stiknrudder
My Feedback: (3)

Very kewl guys. I am looking at the fg-14...same carb, so I'm here to learn. Anyway to get the positivge comments and constructive things from the old thread.

Rick
Old 04-03-2010, 09:46 AM
w8ye

You will just have to read through the old thread
Old 04-03-2010, 03:28 PM
grgfraz

ok just got back from the field i tried out the new carb i tuned and tuned some more, i got the top end dialed then kept tuning the low end click at a time got the top end about 4 clicks cc or ccw and it would sputter very bad also tuned the low end again after getting the top end adjusted, put a new plug in but still sputters in the air ,tried a click at a time on the top no good, back to horizan it goes, good luck guys post any fixes you find,
Old 04-03-2010, 08:28 PM
hawkpilot

ORIGINAL: grgfraz

ok just got back from the field i tried out the new carb i tuned and tuned some more, i got the top end dialed then kept tuning the low end click at a time got the top end about 4 clicks cc or ccw and it would sputter very bad also tuned the low end again after getting the top end adjusted, put a new plug in but still sputters in the air ,tried a click at a time on the top no good, back to horizan it goes, good luck guys post any fixes you find,

Where is the outlet on your tank in relation to the carb? Does it run up, down, or even with the carb? what prop are you running? Cowled or uncowled? I wonder if in an uncowled plane if the air that hits the firewall is causing pressure changes due to the carb being so close to the FW thus causing it to lean out??????? I am thinking in regards to the vent on the carb under the Saito emblem.
w8ye....you know alot about this engine....is the vent meant to release pressure from the pump, or allow air into it?

A question to everyone.......

Those that are running good, how far is your carb from the FW??

Those that are missing in the air, but run great on the ground, how far is your carb from the FW??
Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 PM
skillet92

ORIGINAL: grgfraz

Amazing.... Did not take long. Love the look and sound .....just
Old 04-04-2010, 12:29 PM
modelflyer5

I have actualy drilled a hole into the firewall to accomidate the carb housing. Thanks for the new thread. I think that this thread should be expanded to allow the mention of problems and solutions in a positive way.

I have replaced the carb with the new one and have not flown the plane yet. I think that it will be just fine.

THIS IS A GOOD ENGINE!!! ONE THAT I WOULD PURCHASE AGAIN!!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 04:27 PM
IEATSRT

Hey guys.

So I'm not saying that the old thread has entirely scared me off, I have my FG-20 sitting the test stand and still haven't fired it. This is my first time messing with a gas engine for a plane, haven't even dabbled with nitro other than my Tmaxx. I have been tossing the idea around about buying a zenoah g20ei gas engine and putting in my  hellcat, and putting this one on the shelf for a while till I get some experience with gas engines and will throw it in my next plane... still to be determined but like the Hangar 9 Corsair of Blue Nose Mustang. Any thoughts on this, should I at least fire it up and give it a chance? From all the reviews i've found have read great things about the Zenoah G20ei, runs great and very solid, probably a better starter engine for me. Thanks,

Brandon
Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM
w8ye

Get one engine or the other on the stand and play with it some - whether FG-20 or G-20ei or both. The best way to learn is to run them some and get used to what's going on.

The G20ei is a wonderful little engine but it has a few particulars you will need to get used to also. You will find out when you run it some.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:26 PM
grgfraz

i have tried with and with out the cowl , seems to make very little difference on the way the engine runs on mine. i have about one sq in inlet and 3 sq in outlet in the cowl. my tank center is center on the carb engine runs the same full or low. my engine sits about 1/2 inch from the firewall so the air hole is not a issue on mine, i have tried 15;6,7,8 and 16;6,7,8 no difference, does anyone have an idea why it runs perfect on the ground but no amount of tuning will fix the sputter in the air?? i am running red line oil recommended rate and the rockers look good i have good compression and a blue spark. i have slowly tuned beyond the rich and lean limits of both the low and high speed needles ,which by the way is a very small amount 6 clicks at the most so it does not take to long to test the engine in flight, horizan tested my engine last time with a 5 cell nimi so i purchased one hoping it would run better no dice. i will try again after i get it back and report what i find.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
hawkpilot

It just sounds like it is leaning out or over revving or both.......

yeaaahhhhhh....post #600......wooohooo
Old 04-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Mustang314
My Feedback: (1)

My FG20 turns a Graupner 16x8 prop at 8000 rpm at WOT. I fly it at 77-78 hundred rpm. Idle is rock solid at 1900 rpm. It took a lot of fooling around but the engine is now completely reliable. I have no quarrel with the power it develops. I have it in a Hanger 9 1/4 scale J3. With floats the flying weight is 19 1/2 pounds. The performance is fine. The changes I have made are to replace the carb with a Saito 125 glo carb. Run muffler pressure. Connect the crankcase vent to the intake manifold (keeps the black crap off the fuse). Use a CH ignition system. Should all this have been necessary to get the engine to run reliably? Absolutely not, but I was determined to get it running right because I love the way it sounds. I just received the exchange replacement carb from Horizon (they also included a new spark plug at no charge) and will be trying this carb to see if I can getting it (the new carb) to run right. If the new carb doesn't work I will continue with my present setup which is working well. I just like the challenge of trying to see if I can get the FG20 carb to work properly.
Fred
Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 PM
grgfraz

ORIGINAL: hawkpilot

It just sounds like it is leaning out or over revving or both.......

yeaaahhhhhh....post #600......wooohooo
it may be over reving but with a 16/8 its hard to beleve, i have tuned it a click at a time to lean and rich limit so something else is going on.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 PM
w8ye

A defective ignition can start miss firing above a certain rpm. On the Saito a slightly rich mixture and the miss fire sounds a lot the same to the inexperienced person.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grgfraz,
Could you tell me how your tank is mounted? Is it isolated to avoid any foam in the tank? Just trying to help track this down. There is no reason an engine that runs fine on the ground should have issues in the air unless it is a fuel delivery issue (and thaty stretches anywhere from the fuel tank through the carb so there is a lot to look at here).

Pete

Reformatted by the moderator
Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 AM
w8ye

Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 AM
grgfraz

my tank is wrapped in the foam and i have a one way fill valve , i tried it without the valve just to be sure no change. i have to agree with wy8e i have thoght it was ignition from the beginning, very strange it runs good on ground but as soon as it gets off the runway it starts sputtering, idle to around 1/2 throttle is perfect i have been enjoying flying the plane , it is a P47 arf top flight seems to have great power for half throttle.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:10 AM
w8ye

And the ignition problem may just be the plug is a little fouled?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.