Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zinger props any good?

I broke my Vess 22B prop on my DL 50 powered Spacewalker and the only prop the lhs has in this size is a Zinger. I'd rather not have to order one but I've read that Zinger props aren't the best. Any thoughts?

Mike
    AMA 161101

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Zinger props any good?

Zingers are good sport props. Not every efficient, but sturdy and usually well-balanced.
    There\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s a Hun in the sun!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They are great. I have been using them for years. They are much lighter than any other material putting the least amount of stess on your engine's front bearings than any other material. Dan.
    http://www.zingerpropeller.com/
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been a Zinger fan for years. I used to use Master Airscrews, because they were sturdier than wood, that was when I was learning and was still bending things. Since switching to gasoline powered aircraft, I have used some wood Master Airscrews, but mostly Zinger. Last summer I tried a 22X8 Pro, and was really impressed, the engine gained 500 rpm's and acts really strong. I didn't have time to check out the air speed, but will this summer. The plane is an Edge 540 by PAU. With a regular 22X8 Zinger it would go 98.5 mph. The prop I had always used, a 22X6-10, was 97. I just didn't have time to try the Pro, but am anxious to try it.

Dale

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wish I'd known someone liked them, Dan  ...I just threw away about 40 of them in every size you can imagine about a month ago.   Personally, I think they're complete garbage.  I've never flown one single plane that didn't suck canal water on a Zinger.

Of course...what we've just illustrated here is this:

The "right prop" or "best prop" is the one that makes the airplane fly the way you want it to.  Period.

Mike, Put a Zinger on your plane...go fly.  You might ADORE the way it flies.  in that case, Dan is dead on right, and I'm a complete moron.  

Of course, you might hate it too...in which case, I warned you, and Dan's word can never be trusted.  

Or you might think it's "Eh...ok, i guess"...in which case Dr1Driver is dead on, and Dan and I are complete moonbats for being so adamant about them.  

*shrug*

Bottom line...all you're gonna get in here are opinions that you STILL won't know the value of until you go try the prop.  Whether or not a certain servo will handle the requirements of a certain surface is one thing...but props?  Eh...probably the single most subjective thing on your entire airplane.  If the airplane flies, and the motor doesn't die, then the prop "works"...beyond that, whether or not it's "good" or "bad" or "right" or "wrong" is COMPLETELY subjective. 
    ยกวสŒฤฑsuวdxว sฤฑ dn puษ dn sฤฑ uสop \'\'\'\'pวส‡ษนวสŒuฤฑ puษ สo1 uวษฅส

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well put Gordon!
    Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys for all the info. In my case I wouldn't care if the prop performed less than ideal since the DL-50 is more engine than I need for my airplane, a 1/3 scale Spacewalker. I typically fly at half throttle only using full power briefly during vertical and would like to slow the plane down a bit anyway. I had thought of going down to a 6" pitch but I'm afraid the RPM might be too high. I tached the engine with the Vess 22B at around 7300 on the ground. If the Zinger is less efficient than others maybe a 22-8 would be about right.

I think I'll give the Zinger a try. I know a lot of guys at my flying field fly Zingers on their gas sport models and they seem to like them. The guys that are flying DA 50 and 100 on their Extras and Edges usually fly higher end props. I don't need that kind of performance myself.

Mike
    AMA 161101

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

this is what I found-out about them in a very short amount of time,,

A) new out of the package their balance is way way off (at least the ones I bought), while a better brand like 3W Props (at least the ones I bought) were almost balanced out of their package,,

B) they Flex more than a better brand, so if your going to use Zingers your going to need to use ether more Pitch or a Larger Diameter, they just don't pull as much in a given size as a better brand,,

C) in the size 20x8 a better brand like 3W will ONLY cost $2 more !!

D) they will work if you want to save $2..

now on the other hand they are probably one of the most used props, their just not for me, and I'm not that great of a pilot..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like them in steeper pitches. They are noisy and less efficient with the flat blade angles that most people like these days.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love Zinger props. Especially the big "pro"Zingers. The sharpened tip gets to the coagulated paint in the edges of the can when you're mixing it up.
    K-Bob. The K is silent. \"The only time you can have too much fuel is if you are on fire\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Many good recomendations here, the bottom line I agree if it flies the plane the way you want then its the correct prop you need. Myself I want more than what I have found a zinger can give me so I opt to go to the more advanced type props, Vess, 3-W,JXF and Xoar and if you really want to spend the money a Mezlic will give a person more turns than the same size prop in wood, but hold on to your wallet. Also another inexpensive prop I have used is a topflight power point, again maybe not the best for performance but my old G-62 seemed to like it ok.
    If you can\'\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'\'ve got an electrical problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A lot of people seem to think that Zinger props are barely good enough to use for stirring paint. I haven't done much testing myself, but I know I lost a bunch of performance on my Giant Eindekker when I went from an 18 X 6 APC prop to an 18 x 6 Zinger. The wood prop looked nicer on the old Eindekker, but the airplane flew a ton better with the APC.

AV8TOR
    If it is not SCARY, it is NO WHERE NEAR powerful enough!!
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yet the speed guys love the high pitch Zingers
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I say that if Zinger is the only prop in your size needs that the LHS carries, you will be fine on your Spacewalker. The prop is safe to use, if it is new, as in it will not fly apart at the speed that your 50 size motor will turn. If you get one and hate it, you will at least be able to fly with it untill you can order something else.
    If its not a warbird, Its just a target.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zinger props have a lower prop constant. That means they load the engine less than other wood props.
    That does not mean they are less efficient. If you compensate for the lower prop factor by using more pitch, they suddenly seem to come alive.
    It is no use comparing them by size. Compare them by performance once you adjusted them to your engine.
    Any prop stirs paint well. JZ props also happen to perform well in addition.
    Pe, (www.mvvs.nl), MVVS, MOKImotor, RCexl, MTW, Xoar, Mejzlik.
    Blessing in ignorance? There is sanctuary in analysis.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been an R/C driver for over 40 years (1967) and I've used just about every brand of prop. I have very little experience with the larger engines, simply because I just didn't get into it, but I've run most of the engines up to 1.20 4S. IMHO Zingers have their place like all the others. Currently, I'm flying a H9 J-3 cub on a Saito 45 with a Zinger 12x5. After numerous flight tests, that prop turned out to be the best for "scale like" climb, cruise, descent, landing and taxi. Another airplane / engine combination would, undoubtedly, require testing to determine what works. As a full scale pilot of many hours, I will say that air temperature, density, humidity, aircraft weight and a number of other factors will affect engine and prop performance. The same engine can be propped differently depending on the intended purpose of the airplane. Experiment. Find out what works best for you and your combination.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used to use plain old Zingers, and they propell the plane, and that is about it. After trying APC's, and Now Zoar wood props, I will never go back to them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started a thread about speed, quite a while ago, I'm sure many of you remember. I put a GPS in my Edge 540 and made 3 turns around the field. With a $15.00 Zinger, 22X8, it went 98.5 MPH. A friend talked me into a trying a 23X8 Mejezlic, it went 101 MPH. Did I see any improvement? Sorry, no. Is it worth over $40.00 bucks more for a shiny black prop on the front? I'm not so sure, both props took the plane straight up out of sight, myself, I'm not convinced. I'm stickin' to the Zinger Pro.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll find out tomorrow how the Zinger Pro 22-8 performs. I picked it up the Zinger at the LHS today, it's the only prop they have in that size. It cost me slightly less than ordering a Vess or Xoar, the price was the same with the tax being less than shipping would be if I ordered it. I know that several guys in the club love their Zingers, though these are guys that fly sport not pattern or 3D. We'll see.

Mike
    AMA 161101

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's going to be a couple of months before I get a chance to fly my gassers again, Chopper. I hope you post back. I have got an Extra 330 with an A&M 4.2 on the front, that I have been running regular Zinger 24X10's, when I get a chance I'm going to change that to the Pro to see if I notice the same results as I did on the 3.2.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I must be doing something wrong, I use the free sticks the paint store gives you to stir my paint and fly with my Zingers.
    The bottom line is use what works for you. I fly warbirds, my requirements are different than pattern or 3d. I like the multi-pitch Zingers and TopFlite, (20X8x12 for instance) which rev up more than the straight pitch in the air. Nothing beats the satisfaction of blowing away one of my friends whose running a Menz or Zoar and then telling them I've been using a Zinger! You might try the multipitch props on your sport flyer. I must be crazy but spending $19 for a prop instead of $60 kind of appeals to me.

Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, if there is a difference between the Zinger Pro 22-8 and the Vess 22B I was using I can't see it. I only put on one flight since it was pretty windy this morning but it seems to do just fine. I tach'd it at about 200 RPM more than I got with the Vess so it definitely doesn't load the engine as much. I'll learn more once I have more flights on it but the preliminary report is it seems to work just fine. Balance was no worse than the Vess and it didn't have any more (or less) prop noise. But as pointed out, it all depends on the pilot, the plane and the type of flying you do. For me it works.

Mike
    AMA 161101

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good to hear that the Zinger performed well for you. They usually do. And thanks for reporting the results. Dan.
    Dan