Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Saito - Pro FG 14 Tips and tricks only!!!

Sharps and ForcesR, I do have the handheld techometer,but I just haven't used it yet on this Saito engine because I thought I will just try to get it to run smoothly without quiting at the moment, then I will fly it to further tune it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think others have previously advised that you really need to fly the engine to get the tuning fully sorted. It seems to me you have tuned it as well as you can on the ground. You need to get it into the air and test the engine under manouveres. I'd suggest being gentle at first and testing the engine with the plane going up and down. If it starts to stutter, you can probably get it back to normal by straightening out the plane and letting the engine recover. Land the plane and adjust once click, and then test again. This is the only way to get it fully right.

In my experience, dying when the nose is pointed down is more often a fueling problem rather than tuning (but tuning can't be ruled out). Make sure your fueling set up is correct and your fuel clunk is not exposed when the nose is down. Use a Walbro felt-style clunk is best becasue these will suck reliably even if only part of the clunk is covered. Position the fuel tank as close to the engine as possible as the carby has only a weak draw (set it up like a typical nitro). make sure all your connections are tight and there are no air bubbles. I don't use an inline filter on the FG-14 because you want your fuel line set-up as short and direct as possible.

These engines are sensitive to overpropping so make sure you stay within the recommended prop range. You might only get a few hours outof the spark plug when you are running in and doing iniital tuning because the rich and variable mix often shortens the spark plug life. Once tuned and reliable, the spark plug should last almost indefinitely. You can use any cheaper plug that fits (eg don't use the expensive Saito branded plug).  I've got 100 plus hours on my FG-14 and about the last 50 hours on the same plug. I went through a few plugs initially while mucking around with the tuning. I probably haven't touched the tuning needles for the last 50 hours.

These engines can be furstrating to tune. They probably take 10 plus hours to fully run in. Don't expect it to tune perfectly straight away. Just get it to run reliably (eg to avoid too many deadsticks) and continue to tune in small increments as you fly. You will get there eventually. If you are a perfectionist, and expect to be able to perfectly tune this engine from the first flick, you are in for a world of frustration. Patience!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MercerAUST ... So what plug are you running if not the stock Saito plug. ?????[&:]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He's talking about using the RCEXL plug.
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it is a NGK(?) spark plug, which cost $8 at my local hobby shop. They stock it for similar sized 2-stroke petrol engines. Any spark plug that is the same size should be fine. Just make sure you firmly fit the spark plug cap. Once you have the engine run in, and running sweet, the spark plug will last almost indefinitely.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I re-do the fuel tank and fuel lines and flew it about 3 more tanks with 1 or 2 clicks of riching the HSN, it ran quick smoothly without dying. I have had total of about 3 hrs on the bench and 2hrs in the air. I think I will just let it run in more before I do the nose down attempt in the air. It seems like I will need to adjust either or both needles occationally as the run in progressed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, just keep adjusting one click at a time. It sounds like you are doing fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone noticed the C model is out? Different LS needle settings.
    Very informative thread, folks. My FG14B is on a Hangar 9 Pawnee 40. Love the sound, haven't gotten it quite right but will get there. Thank you for all the info.

Jules

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wonder what they actually did - or if it addresses the carburetor issues that I've had with this engine. The only way I could keep mine running right was with new carbs. At $100 a crack an expensive habit, although I'd try it again if I knew it solved the problems - the engine is sweet when it's running right. Or maybe Saito could offer the fix to all of us that have the 14B????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what is the total weight of the FG-14C? anyone has any idea?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys,
    I need your help.
    I’ve bought an old airplane (already discontinued) from Kyosho  - the SUKHOI 31 for .46 glow engines.
    I intend to use my SAITO FG-14 on it.
    Well, the problem is that it has the old fashioned firewall – a plain cross section from the fuselage. Behind it sits the large glow fuel tank and I don’t see any way to route the pushrod from the servo to the throttle lever.
    As in other SAITO engines, this lever is placed in an odd position - right in the center of the engine.
    Once I saw in the internet someone selling a “throttle barrel extension” that placed the throttle lever about an inch to the side of the engine. This would solve my problem.
    Does someone know who makes this part?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The extension is from Saito themselves.

Look in the parts lists for like the 90TS twin or 90R3 radial?
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you w8ye!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello All. I have been following the thread.. Captain2: what is the latest with you and your FG-14? Sitting on shelf or trying something new? Curious.
    -J
    Club Saito member #721

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just sold the FG. IMO Saito has a carb design issue that as far as I know has not been solved. Think there is a reason why everybody else seems to be using a Walbro [or Walbro variant]carbs. Too bad too - when running right it was a great match in my GP U Can Do 46 with a 14x6 prop and a miser on fuel that I couldn't believe. Just couldn't keep the carb from clogging those miniscule spray bar openings and it's not user serviceable.

what am I doing now? A YS FZ70 4 stroke that'll outpull the FG by 1500+ rpm with the same prop. 11 lbs of thrust on an airplane that is slightly under 6 lbs. - now THAT is good. Fuel expense goes way up, of course and am a little worried that I might rip the wings off the UCD - almost scary power

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a question for the group : Which battery works best for the FG-14? I have a NiMH 2700mah 6V battery that I think will work and give plenty of longevity for the ignition. Is it too much Mah? Would a Lipo 2S 6.4v be better?

I am about to order some other batteries from HK and wanted to include the lipo if my 2700 didn't work.

thanks for your input.
    -J
    Club Saito member #721

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your 6 V battery would be fine. If you needed some weight savings in the plane you could use a battery with a lower mah rating. The 2s lipo is 7.4 V not 6.4 V. With the older 14B, you would need a regulator if using a Lipo. I believe the new FG-14c does not need a regulator.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

2700 mah for your ign battery seems like overkill to me - something smaller [1000 or so] likely work just fine but be careful with too much voltage - some sort of regulator may be needed depending on the CDI.

On all my gas engined planes I use one 2650 2s Lipo for BOTH the ign and the receiver/servos. The 7.4v [actually 8.4 peak] is reduced to 6.0 thru a HK sourced UBEC which has [2] 5/6 volt outputs - one feeding the Rx, the other the CDI. Doing it this way the extra CDI battery is eliminated completely, much like the way a BEC in the ESC [speed control] eliminates the need for a separate Rx pack in many electric planes.

I have been keeping a close eye on my battery usage [mah] and have found that my single batteried gas planes will rarely use more than 400 mah [of the 2650 available] in an entire morning of flying [ four 10 minute flights]. Lithium chemistry batteries are far superior IMO to the traditional nickels esp when it comes to charge retention and capacity relative to size.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With one battery running both ign and Rx ; any concern or issue with electrical interference? Curious.
    The 6v I have laying around - not in use. I will use it for a little while and look into something smaller and compact. With the ability to use a smaller tank - I can use that extra room and CG location.
    -J
    Club Saito member #721

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

concern yes - problems no. There is an installation recommendation to keep the UBEC as far away from the RX as possible and the [2] 6v outputs are wrapped around a ferrite ring all for interference minimization. Run 2.4, of course, and haven't experienced anything unusual. Have a total of 4 gassers done this way, [2] with DLE20s and [1] with a NGH 17 all with single 2650 2s Lipos. Also have done this with a larger GP 55cc Reactor that I paralleled [2] 2650s [for 5300]which is also battery overkill despite the mfgr manual recommending a 4200 for the Rx and 1000 for the CDI. Did have the system on the FG14 [sgl 2650] with no CDI related problems . Also have used this type of setup on std glows, using sgl 2000s without the added load of the CDI. Most of my now older ignitions can have problems with the 7+ volts you can see out of a fully charged 5c '6v' pack and do better with the 5.8/5.9 max you see out of a 4 cell, which is exactly what the regulated output of the UBEC is. Most newer CDIs, of course, will tolerate the 8+ volt you get out of 2s Lipos these days, but then you also have to worry about the high voltage tolerance of both your Rx and servos.

You'll love the FG in terms of fuel consumption - I calculated a full throttle gas consumption of less than 1/2 oz/min, making something like an 8 oz tank last maybe 20 minutes. Overall getting near 20 times cheaper to run than 2 stroke glow once you factor in both the consumption rate and the fuel cost. Downsized the tank on my GP U Can Do 46 to 6 oz and never even came close to running out of fuel. 20 minute + flight times are well past my attention span

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My engine FG-14C run great to idle and 1/2 throttle. when 3/4 an up throttle for 30 second, the engine stop. Why??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Too lean on the fuel mixture
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my ajustment is 1 1/2 turn to needle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

agree with the 1.5 turns out - but it is touchy, just a nudge in one direction or the other should make a big difference. There is a possibility I suppose that your carb needle/spray bar is getting clogged - this happened to me continually

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You should be tuning to effect the running characteristics and not counting turns
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast