Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Saito - Pro FG 14 Tips and tricks only!!!

The carb diaphrams might be more sensitive to gas with ethanol in it, and less sensitive to no ethanol if not run dry.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The diapragm in the carb is clear Mylar
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does that mean not sensitive to ethanol? Thanks Jim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I don't know about that but Mylar is less sensitive than the rubber stuff.
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Saito FG-14 needs help

My saito FG-14 coughed a few times then died during bench run in, after that it wouldn't start again. Please help. It was into about a couple hours of bench run in, it never quit since the first start, and was breaking in properly according to the manual. The previous tank I started to lean it to reach WOT, from idle to WOT was all fine even though the transition was stumble and not yet smooth, but it never quit. Today during it's first tank of run in, it started easily as usual but seemed lean as I throttled up and down, but after about 7 minutes, it coughed a couple times, then stopped. After that I couldnt get it to start again and the spark plug didn't fire at all. I removed the spark plug to check, but it fired properly. I checked the fuel line, and it looked the fuel did reach the carb. I tried to adjust the hsn and lsn a little bit either way, but the spark plug just wouldn't fire when I applied the starter. My hsn is about 1hr20min, lsn around 5 turns from flush, all unchanged since the previous tank.
    What should I do about this problem? any advice will be appreciated.

Correction from FB-14 to FG-14 Made by moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/image...amebg-user.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 55px; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; " class="user_postbit_top postbit-name-user">
    Joined May 2012
    4 Posts
    It should be Saio FG-14, not FB-14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kentli22
    Check the spark plug boot. Specifically the spring clip that holds it on. Make sure all is snapped in place. This is quite stiff and if not snapped in properly will result in erratic running or non starting. If that doesn't help then check the spark from the ignition system and all the wires. If all checks out you may have a faulty spark plug that won't fire under compression. Hope this helps! The only other thing is fuel.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did remove the spark plug to check for spark, it made spark as correctly when I flip the prop. But after I put the spark plug back it, it just wouldnt fire. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kentli22, you have leaned your LS needle too much during break in. Saito'sgas enginesare notorious for acting this way. Open you LS needle by 20 minutes and re-apply the electric starter, it should start. The low and high speed needles are very sensitive to adjustments; they have to be adjusted at very small increments, one minute at a time. When you get to the point where the LS needle does notallow the engine tostumble on throttle up, leave it at that needle setting, do not lean it any further.

Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The fuel was from the same tank previously. The battery had plenty of juice. It shouldn't be anything to do with the needle settings, right?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ForcesR, ok I will try to open up the lsn to try again. But from the previous few tanks, it started normally at the current needles setting.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kentli22

The fuel was from the same tank previously. The battery had plenty of juice. It shouldn't be anything to do with the needle settings, right?
    Kentli22, yes it does; as I stated in my previous post above; you have the LS needle set too lean. Open the LS needle by 20 minutes, re-apply the electric starter and the engine should fire up after 5 or more complete rotations of the prop.

Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I found out there was a weak wiring connection to the CDI, when it touched, it sparked. When not touched, no spark. I hope this will solve the problem after I fix the wiring. Thanks for the help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will also open up the lsn too after I fix the wiring. thank you for your advise.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You were right. Besides the weak wire connection, it was the spark plug that was bad. It fired occasionally when I had it out to check, but when it was back, it wouldn't fire at all. I replaced it with the used spark plug that I pulled out from my NGH GT9, and it sparked every time I spin the prop. My Saito is now back to normal,just like the way it should be.
    Saito's spark plug went back so soon only after a couple hrs of bench break in, is it a quality issue or it was me?
    By the way, what does spark plug under compression mean?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's good news Kentli22. It is possible for a spark plug not to fire or not to fire well when the piston is coming up, both valves are closed, on the compression stroke because of the increase pressure where it might appear OK when not under a compression load outside of the compression chamber. ForcresR is correct about the Saito low speed especially being very sensitive. I never turn mine more than 1/8th at a time. The high speed is also very sensitive but a little more forgiving. Take care.

Put two sets of wheels on so you can land upside down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the advises above. I have very little experiences in gas engines, it's great that there are experts who could help.

I am having a tuning issue that I need help with. As I'm continue breaking in, I have so far adjusted the needles in a way thatfrom nose forward to nose up vertically, the transition is smooth with RPM incresesbut stable at bothidle and WOT and stable; when the engine is nose forward horizontally, it feel rich from idle to WOT, but is also stable with a lower RPM than when it is nose up. There is no threat of the engine that itmay die at any throttle position.

But the problem happens when I point it nose down and afterward bringing it back to nose up from nose down. When I point it nose down, the RPM decreases some but it continues to run with a feeling that it may die but didn't die, then when I bring the nose up to point towards the sky, the engine will go back to normal RPM but will soon die after a few seconds. I don't know which way to adjust the needles nor what needle to adjust because I am afraid that I will mess up my present needle settings. Please kindly give advise, thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have 4 gas engines, DLE60, OS GT22, NGH GT9 and the Saito FG-14. They are all very good except the NGH that I had already given up during the bench break in process because it is not stable nor reliable. The Saito is so far the most sweet engine with the sound so beautiful that I could just happily listen to it all day long.  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the advises above. I have very little experiences in gas engines, it's great that there are experts who could help.

I am having a tuning issue that I need help with. As I'm continue breaking in, I have so far adjusted the needles in a way thatfrom nose forward to nose up vertically, the transition is smooth with RPM incresesbut stable at bothidle and WOT and stable; when the engine is nose forward horizontally, it feel rich from idle to WOT, but is also stable with a lower RPM than when it is nose up. There is no threat of the engine that itmay die at any throttle position.

But the problem happens when I point it nose down and afterward bringing it back to nose up from nose down. When I point it nose down, the RPM decreases some but it continues to run with a feeling that it may die but didn't die, then when I bring the nose up to point towards the sky, the engine will go back to normal RPM but will soon die after a few seconds. I don't know which way to adjust the needles nor what needle to adjust because I am afraid that I will mess up my present needle settings. Please kindly give advise, thanks.

Kentli22; you need to provide us with more information. When you are pointing the aircraft nose up and the engine stops, is the throttle set at idle or full power? Are you using a tachometer to check the maximum RPM and idle RPM of the engine?

Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

when i pointed it nose up, I was somewhere around half throttle, not idle nor full throttle. when i mentioned WOT, i simply meant full throttle position. i didnt used

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i didnt use techometer, i dont know how to connect to the Saito CDI,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kentli22; I believe your HS needle is set a bit toolean. Go to page15 of the manual, under heading "Enjoy your new Engine" read the first paragraph, that paragraphholds a clue to your current problem.Whatdo you havethe engineRPM setat whenyou applyfull throttle?

Roger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i dont  know what the full throttle rpm is.i just feel it witb my ears.i will look up the manual . thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kenti2 ForcesR is correct from my experience. You are too lean on the HS. Try this next time you fly. Open HS one more click. Fly at full throttle and pull an abrupt vertical. Be prepared for a dead stick. If the engine does not quit your good. If the engine stalls a bit or quits open HS one more click and try again. If this does not work or the engine starts to run rough then the low speed is lean.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i dont know what the full throttle rpm is.i just feel it witb my ears.i will look up the manual . thanks.

Kentli22; don't take this as criticism, you are making the same mistake many 2 cycle engine owners make when they purchase theirfirst Saito4 cycle gasengine and then try to tune the Saitousing experience from2 cycle engine tuning.

It is very difficult to tune a Saito4 cyclegasengine by ear without the useof a hand held tachometer to set engine RPM. Most people, usually always set the low and high speed needles too lean. Needle adjustments on a Saito 4 cycle gas engine are minute and have to be done slowly;it is very difficult to detect an RPM change on a 4 cycle Saito without the help of a hand held tachometer. A hand held tachometer is your best friend when it comes to tuning a Saito 4 cycle gas engine. Over here, a hand held tachometer cost roughly, $35.00usd.

Roger

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast