Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W-100 issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 07:31 PM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W-100 issues

I purchased a used 3W-100, new style from a dealer. As best I know, it has ~3 gal through it and was "factory tuned". I have been chasing the needle adjustments all over the board trying to get this to run good.

If I set up so it transitions smooth on take off, it will run lean in the air. Fatter and she burbles on take off. I have a vent tube into the fuze and intake is within the cowl, no snorkel. If I set it up on a stand to run perfect, it wont transition on takeoff, but runs like a champ in the air.

I am relatively new to gassers and not totally familiar with the adjustment's of them. Have been playing with this one for 2 mo. My 3W-150 runs perfect every time in all conditions. :spinnyeye
Old 07-19-2003, 07:47 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3W-100 issues

I'd suggest needling the H needle for maximum RPM and then back off about 300-400rpm, then needle the low end until it's obviously to lean, then back up a little and try to transition. If all is well give it a try. Otherwise fatten her a little more and try the transition again. Adjust the high end needle first and then go for the low end needle.

The air horn or snorkel works very good on these engine's. I'd highly recommend it. It is possible your cowl and the air coming in is effecting the fuel pump diaphragm. Do you have a tube attached to the back of the carb on the diaphragm cover? If not get the snorkel, you benefit form the equalizer tube and shroud the air into the carb.

Are you saying the engine runs lean in the air at mid to high throttle settings or on the low end.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:07 AM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

Default 3W-100 issues

Well, I think it is lean... Full throttle on vertical, will get very sluggish and/or flame out. Also noticed in inverted flight at part throttle or in transition from part to full while inverted.

I leaned out the bottom and gave the top a bit more fat. Ran pretty good, but flamed out at the top of a hammer-head today. Bent my gear, BUMMER!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:21 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default 3W-100 issues

I've had great luck with mine. Maybe there's a reason it had three gallons of fuel through it and it was back at the dealers location. Ask to have it looked at. Either of the distributors are really good about that. They want to keep engine owners happy!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Default 3W-100 issues

Make sure your ignition isn't bad. Maybe the caps can't handle the higher loads at higher RPM's?
Old 07-22-2003, 03:05 AM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

Default 3W-100 issues

You have probably already done this, but just in case, given that you seem to have the problem in vertical and inverted, check your fuel tank. Is the clunk hanging up, or is there a blockage?
Mike