Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Engine First Run / Radio Check on Rascal

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine First Run / Radio Check on Rascal

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:34 PM
rcflyingnut
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine First Run / Radio Check on Rascal

Guys
I'm sure that some are saying oh no him again, but I appreciate everyone's help with getting this Rascal together.

Question: When checking for radio interference; yall have said check it running and not running. Does this mean through the whole travel of the throttle (idle to WAO). Will interference show itself in any range or it will show with the motor running period? I did a search, but did not find anything that would answer this question.

I ran the motor for the first time the other night (break in runs) and did not notice any gliches in the control surfaces. I mainly moved the surfaces in between run ups, so it was pretty much at idle each time. I did not do a range check yet. I was standing beside the plane while doing the break in. I can't wait to get this thing in the air. I have included some not so great pictures to show my installation.

Info:
engine...Evolution 26GT with 7.4 volt NiMH 3300 Mah battery
radio...Futaba 6EX 2.4 fast system with 2 - 6 volt NiMH 2700 Mah batteries, 2 - MPI switches, and voltwatch
servos...Hitec 645MG's on ailerons and elevator and Hitec 5645MG on rudder

Ignition and ignition battery are in the nose of the plane and further isolated from the receiver by using a kill switch. If you look at the picture of the side of the fuse...the ignition components are in the nose of the plane in front of the fuel dot and the receiver is about even with the furthest aft receiver switch. There is at least 10 to 12 inches of separation. The closest I come to anything that deals with the ignition system is the switch on the opposite side of the fuse...around 5 to 6 inches from the receiver and the receiver batteries are located under the receiver and voltwatch. All extension connections have been shrink tubed and mounted in "wire keepers" and zip tied to prevent movement. Did I miss anything?

Thanks to all
Newton
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41929.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1439615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90737.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	1439616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19532.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1439617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73066.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1439618  
Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Engine First Run / Radio Check on Rascal

Newton, good images. You have some kind of wires right next to and parallel to one of the receiver antennas. That is inadvisable for sure. Reroute those wires before you fly if they are carrying any current. Dan.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:34 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

There is RFI and then there are vibration induced funnies. So check at different throttle settings.
Between not running and running there should be less than a 10% reduction in range.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:19 PM
rcflyingnut
My Feedback: (9)

Dan

Are these the ones you were talking about? The receiver antenna is in the red tube below the servo tray and the wires run along the top of the servo tray. Hard to tell in the photo, but there is probably a 1/2" in between them. Would you still move them? Should I run the wires close to the throttle servo? I could get some of the "wire keepers" that are in the picture and move.

Newton
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96592.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1439956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49790.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1439957  
Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Newton, you’re doing the right thing by asking questions and posting images. The installation of the radio is about the most important aspect in this hobby for continued success. I just switched to Futaba 2.4 myself. My manual says to keep the antennas away from conductive materials, such as metal, carbon and fuel tanks by at least 1/2 inch and to keep the antennas away from the motor, ESC and noise sources as much as possible. The noise they are talking about is radio frequency radiation. It emanates from all your wires and servos because of the electric motor in them. I fly 50cc sized models so I have plenty of room to comply with Futaba's recommendation. Try to achieve that 1/2 inch or more and as much as possible guide line as much as possible. And don't forget that thorough ground check. Dan.