Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Magnum XLS 52G

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Magnum XLS 52G

I'm not going to go into detail but after some work with my converted Supertigre .51 it is apparent to me that it is possible to get very nearly the same power as when this engine was on 10% glow fuel. As of this writing it will pull my G/P SuperSportster over 90 mph in straight and level flight as recorded by my Eagle Tree FDAU.

I know the numbers show the alcohol should make significantly more power, all else being equal, but remember that we have a much more accurate timing system here as compared to glow ignition. Many other things were changed on my specimen in order to increase the power output but the one thing I can say without question is that it makes more power than a Supertigre .40 ring. Same prop, same day, more rpm's = more power.

P.S. The actual power difference, gas to alcohol, should be between 8 and 12 percent by the numbers. Using the middle, 10%, one can see the actual output should be roughly equal to a .45 and that's about what I see on the .51 converted. It's almost identical, numbers wise on prop rpm's, to my ST45.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Mr DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many of you do, I too fly larger gasser as well as turbines, but let me tell you, I’m excited about this little puppy. I have one on order with VQ Warbirds but just today, it was refunded due to the arrival date moved to Dec/Jan 2011 timeframe.
I just ordered an Escapade for this engine from Tower; there’s a Gent here with on already with a .50 Enya I think. Anyways, I’m sure that Enya isn’t turning a 13x6 at 93K http://www.twitvid.com/3DTWY; with that note, I’m sure your/my Escapade will zip right along.
If this puppy pans out, I’ll build a B-17 with four of those mothers and have a ball.
Mr DJ
Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sooo, your B-17's receiver will now have to put up with the ignition hash generated by four of these little monsters. Am I right? (smile)

Ed Cregger
Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 PM
93octane
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like these little suckers wont be out till DEC 25 now!!![&o]