My Feedback: (52)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default CRRC GF50i 50cc problems and fixes

I am starting this thread becouse I have bought and have been testing a CRRC-PRO GF50i gasoline engine.

I am asking others who have had problems or issues to post what went wrong and what they did to fix them.

Thanks to All!!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:01 PM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: CRRC GF50i 50cc problems and fixes

Ok, I got one of these CRRC_pro GF50i gasoline engines to put on a league 330l plane to try out the engine and see what the 50cc gas engine would run and perform like.

Well it has been nothing but TROUBLE since I took the engine out of the box.

The first failure was the electronic ignition pickup going bad. AFter spending some time working on the engine and testing the different components to diagnose the no start problem, I found the pickup that bolts just behind the prop hub was bad.

The next problem when I got the engine to even fire, was it came with a JUNK spark plug. Me and a freind of mine tried to prop start this engine for close to an hour. After feeling like my shoulder was going to fall off, I gave up and back to the shop we went.

This time I did not have to spend as much time testing items to see what was wrong, I changed the plug, and the engine started in less than 5 or 6 flips of the prop.

Sadly though I still had a sinking feeling.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:05 PM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As the SAGA wore on, I finally got some time to get away from the shop and go run the engine for a while at the local flight feild.

This time the engine started right up and ( I thought was ok) seemed to be alright.

I ran about a tank of fuel through it, and Began to tune the engine just a little.

I ran a few more tanks of fuel through it, letting it cool down between tanks and doing the usual break in procedures.

After about 30 minutes of run time, I decided to take it up and fly the plane for a bit.

BAD IDEA!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After running the CRRC_Pro GF50I side carb engine to give it some time to begin to break in, I decided to fly the plane and get some stick time in that day. BAD IDEA!!!

I taxied out onto the feild, and took off. The engine seemed a little underpowered but I knew it still needed alot of time to be broke in.

I did some gentle flights around the feild and a few loops, after about 5 or 6 minutes of easing around I began to try a few full throttle climbs that might last maybe 10 seconds.

All seemed well. BOY was I WRONG!!!

I started a another pass arond the feild and a slow pass by where I was standing to look at the plane, when I did I noticed the engine was making a grinding sound. I knew something was wrong, I flew the plane around to bring it in for a landing. Suddenly the engine locked up and that was it.

I am glad I had the plane in position to land it, or Well I will leave that to your imagination.

I got the plane landed, and put it up on a bench, and sure enough the engine was completely LOCKED UP.

I looked inside the cowl and saw fine ground up pieces of aluminum. The sinking feeling gets worse.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I pulled the cowl off the plane and checked everything I could without pulling the engine apart. Man this day did not seem to be getting any better.

I had another gas engine man there with me and he pointed out what appeared to ground up aluminum coming from between the prop hub and front of the engine case.

I then took the prop hub off and looked up into the front of the crank case and found the problem. The front crankshaft bearing had locked up and began to spin in the crank case thus cousing the engine to lock up.

After the engine cooled a little I could turn the engine over. SO ok, back to the shop to go through the enigine and see what had happened.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:55 PM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After taking the plane back to the engine shop I did a complete tear down of the engine.

I checked the gas mixture I had set up for the engine.

After tearing down the CRRC-PRo GF50i engine I was able to confirm the front bearing had locked up and spun in the front crank case causing the engine to lock up.

I called the seller of the engine and was told he would order the parts to repair the engine. By this time things just did not seem to be right.

Why should I have to rebuild the engine, and have to wait for who knows how long on parts.

Well after about a week or so the parts came in, or so I thought. WHen the seller shipped me the parts and I unpacked what he had sent me, I found it was one bearing short. Man by now this was getting OLD. I called the seller and was told the story of how he would have to order the bearing and send it to me when it came in.

WHY DOES THE SELLER NOT HAVE THESE PARTS????
Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 AM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now, I took some time out to install the new bearing and seal that the sellers of the problematic CRRC-PRO GF50i engine they sent me, and put the engine back together.

Well have you ever had that gut feeling something was still wrong??

Well I decided to take some time out and go out to the flight field and run the rebuilt engine. AT first it seemed all was well.

So after some run in time, I took the plane up for a flight.

Within 5 or so minutes the engine locked up again. There was a plane the had came in dead stick on the field, and I had to try to get the plane landed where it was not going to hrt the guy walking out to get his plane and the damaged plane he had sitting in the landing area.

Well things did not go so well, Long story short, the plane I had was damaged, and I still have a JUNK CRRC-PRO GF50i engine.

I have been getting emails and calls from guys who are having the same problems with these engine. I wonder when the folks that make these engine will resolve the problems?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:36 AM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the folks who buy one of these CRRC-PRO HG50i engines and want to know what you are in for here is a picture of the damage to mine from the locked up engine bearing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24470.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1468209  
Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You must have bought a Friday engine because I've had one flying for 2 years now with zero problems. I have used an Rcexel ignition and an NGK plug since the start. No deadsticks, no midrange burble, just solid running. Currently using Redline synth at 70:1
Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 AM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 72

You must have bought a Friday engine because I've had one flying for 2 years now with zero problems. I have used an Rcexel ignition and an NGK plug since the start. No deadsticks, no midrange burble, just solid running. Currently using Redline synth at 70:1
I have wandered if maybe it is WHO I bought the engine from that makes the difference. The seller claimed to have parts in stock and other claims. The sad part is He at that time did not carry parts for the Crrc-pro 50cc engine. After about 2 months of waiting for him (the person I bought this one from ) His user name here on rcu, to get the parts, and after having to rebuild the engine 2 times, I finally got it lined out and was able to get it broke in and fly the plane.

The bad part is my plane was damaged becouse of the dead sticks, and dealing with this seller has been a nightmare. The Crrc-pro engines are good engines, I still have 2 of them. I even sell them out of my shop now. But I have learned to never buy anything from the person I bought this one from, , it will be a nightmare!!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:30 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My dealer in Canada is Paragon and I don't have problems with parts or service. These engines take a long time to break in and develop power because of the 2 rings I think, but they will last forever. I also like the single bolt prop hub with no extra drilling. Never had a prop come loose yet.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:37 AM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 72

My dealer in Canada is Paragon and I don't have problems with parts or service. These engines take a long time to break in and develop power because of the 2 rings I think, but they will last forever. I also like the single bolt prop hub with no extra drilling. Never had a prop come loose yet.
I am with you on the break in part. And the single bolt prop hub. My 50cc was easy to start and even easier to tune after I got the spun bearing issue repaired.

I think the seller I got my engine from gets engines that are seconds, meaning they are not the better quality engines the big dealers get.

I bought mine for the purpose of testing the engines before I bought into the line to sell out of my shop.

The whole nightmare with the seller I bought from has rooted my beliefs of taking care of the customer, and treating them with respect, even deeper.

By the way, I have emailed the seller several times about other engines I bought from him, and haven't heard ANYTHING BACK!! BEWARE!!! WHO YOU BUY FROM!!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:26 PM
thevirginian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yearnin, your problem seem to be exactly the same problem I encountered with my CRRC50. But it was a moving crankshaft that caused my motor to die inflight. Actually, it only died when I throttled back to come in for a landing. My remedy was to place a strip of emory cloth between the prop hub and the crank case and use an electric starter to spin the prop (after I took the plug out). After that I never had a problem with a dying motor anymore. Mine runs like a Singer. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I had to change my plug for a premium Champion plug.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 PM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

yearnin, your problem seem to be exactly the same problem I encountered with my CRRC50. But it was a moving crankshaft that caused my motor to die inflight. Actually, it only died when I throttled back to come in for a landing. My remedy was to place a strip of emory cloth between the prop hub and the crank case and use an electric starter to spin the prop (after I took the plug out). After that I never had a problem with a dying motor anymore. Mine runs like a Singer. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I had to change my plug for a premium Champion plug.
Well Here is some pics of the damage caused by the bearing spinning in the case.

This is a common problem with these engines and has been talked about alot on other websites. If you buy your crrc-pro engine from a real dealer, that has a good reputation, like Jim at Agape racing, or VVRC, or someone like that, if you have a problem they will fix it quickly and take care of you. I should have bought mine from one of them, it would not have turned out to be the nightmare.

Lesson learned.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:38 PM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The front crank bearing spun in the case causing the damage You see in the post above.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 AM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I want to make it very clear, I like and continue to use the CRRC-Pro engine line. I still have some I fly every chance I get, and they run better it seems the longer they run.

I sell these out of my shop here in msacoutah illinois, to the local guys and hobby folks who want to buy locally. There are very good dealers out there like Jim at Agape racing and Jody at valley view Rc, That are very helpfull and provide EXCELLENT service after the sale. I think if you buy from one of them you will be happy with what you buy!

Happy Flying!!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:07 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought one of the CRRC pro 50R engines and had an immediate problem with the ignition. I asked the seller how these engines hold up and are there any issues , expecting him to tell me the truth, he did mention there have been one or two ign modules with problems. I guess I'm number three, yea right. I replaced it with an RCXEL box and that cured all the dead stick landings. I dont' have more than ten flights on this particular engine but it does have a snug feel when you turn it over, not the smooth feeling my DLE's have but then again I don't have a lot of time on the engine. Whats the difference between the 50 I and the 50 R models. Is one better than the other?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 AM
thevirginian

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought mine with the RCXEL-ignition, changed the plug toa Champion plug and have no problems running it.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:55 PM
lechuza

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello, I am just starting to have troubles with my CRRC GF50i gas engine.Actually, I can't get more than 6000 rpm with a 20x8 wood propeller, ( brand new engine and after 3-4 hours of use, I got about 7300 rpm with the same 20x8 wood propeller);I got clean the whole carburetor, checked all fuel tank system, tygon lines, needles adjustments, spark plug, fuel-oil relationship, but no results.What I found as it has been recorded on my GoPro camera is a last flight in which the engine starts to sound like loosing power as the flight progress, and then the engines quits so I had to make a dead stick succesfully landing without any damage.When I walked to the airplane I found the engine to be very hot and since then my rc club fellowmates and some research about this engine points to a bearing set issue that leads to those common symtoms.What I planning to do is change the bearing set for this engine, so I wanted to share my experience with this CRRC 50cc gas engine, which it is a powerful one, but looks like manufactures does not take care on the bearing set.I have had this engine for about 2 years and flown it about 22-22 hours.

I would appreciate if someone could lead to a place in order to buy a good quality bearing set for this engine, and also any graphic or photos guides or instructions in order to open the engine and replace the bearings, with you experience and/or suggestions.

Thanks, Schaye G.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM
flyhi2005

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got for my young son last week ,Straight from China -Good prices!! 164$
[link=http://www.himodel.com/engines/GF50i_50cc_Petrol_Engine_for_Radio_Control_Aeropla ne.html]HIMODEL[/link]

today wes the first stert in one flip,working Excellent,looks ok.

Saturday going to be the Doom day -the break in ,hope Everything will be fine

i have 3 GF40i "40cc Petrol Engine Kit for Radio Control Aeroplane (Loose Parts Version)"
[link=http://www.himodel.com/engines/GF40i_40cc_Petrol_Engine_Kit_for_Radio_Control_Aer oplane_Loose_Parts_Version.html]HI MODEL[/link]

working Excellent ,no chenges made,original spark plug .

But like any cheap Chinese product, from time to time have unpleasant surprises, and should be ready for it. That's the price we pay for cheap goods.[8D]
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 AM
mattchewn1
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Help!
CRRC Pro 50
I am at the end of my patience with this motor. I have tried everything I can think of to get this motor to run right with no success so far. I got this motor from a friend in a plane. the motor has less than 2 gal run thru it. I have cleaned the carb, adjusted the needles repeatedly with little benefit. I can get the motor to rev to 6k and a bit more but it will not transition, it tries to die. I richen the mix to where it will transition and it will only rev to 5k. It will idle all the way down to 1150-1200 with no trouble at all. just wont come up off idle without feathering the throttle. tried leaning it and tried richening up the low end. can only get part of the equation right at any given time. I have replaced the carb spacer ( suspected it was leaking) and it now will stay running as long as I like but cant get it dialed in.  It has been upgraded to the rcexl ignition and has a ngk plug in it. For sale cheap! unless i can make it run decently. All Ideas are welcome.
Matt
No, actually I would not go and actually buy one of these motors on purpose. All my DLE , Saito, and Desert Aircraft  motors have no issues with carb tuning or transitioning.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:24 AM
yearnin to Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The more I learned about these engines, the more I realized that they belong in a trash can. They will bring you misery amongst many other problems.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 AM
1wobbly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Guys,

Just for the record, user thevirginian, quoted "runs like a Singer". I can only assume he meant like an old Singer sewing machine. I'm a sewing machine engineer and the new Singers are rubbish.
Like everything nowadays, they don't make em like they used to. God I sound old.

Keep up the good work everyone with the reviews as it's very useful for people like me who are shopping around for advise and what's good to buy and not.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:30 AM
hifly213

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

mmm...i have this engine
never have problems...start after 2 --3 flips...

sorry guys
Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have had two 40's and both were problems and real dogs. Cheap is not always good! I will never own another CRRC, JUNK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service