Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

ORIGINAL: BlackPowder

captinjohn, Back on page 6 post #132 what airplane is the orange profile (and what engine) is sure is a beauty. I'm always looking for an interesting profile to stick something on, maybe a DLE20. Thanks jim

I've noticed a few have gone with the 67" OMP Fusion for the DLE 20. Should be starting mine soon. The plane you're looking at is quite a bit bigger. I was checking that one out too is the only reason I recognized it.
Here's the website:
http://www.goldeneagleaircraft.com/talon.htm
Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

captinjohn, Back on page 6 post #132 what airplane is the orange profile (and what engine) is sure is a beauty. I'm always looking for an interesting profile to stick something on, maybe a DLE20. Thanks jim
IF you want a profile, there are a few new choices available you might want to take a look at. I just finished up a SBach 65 from the Balsa Store that is just about the perfect size for the 20. 1250 sq in of wing area and right at 8lbs even. Beautiful lines and a great flyer.
http://www.thebalsastore.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

Another is the Primo 60 from Swanyshouse.com. A little smaller and lighter than the SBach, but should work very well with the 20. I had a OS 120AX on mine and it was incredible. Just ordered another one as a backup the the SBach if/when it meets its demise! The Mojo 65 form Swanyshouse would also be a great choice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38580.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	1542943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29456.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	1542944  
Old 01-05-2011, 05:34 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: joebob

IF you want a profile, there are a few new choices available you might want to take a look at. I just finished up a SBach 65 from the Balsa Store that is just about the perfect size for the 20. 1250 sq in of wing area and right at 8lbs even. Beautiful lines and a great flyer.
http://www.thebalsastore.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

Another is the Primo 60 from Swanyshouse.com. A little smaller and lighter than the SBach, but should work very well with the 20. I had a OS 120AX on mine and it was incredible. Just ordered another one as a backup the the SBach if/when it meets its demise! The Mojo 65 form Swanyshouse would also be a great choice.
Please check to confirm if you have any interest, but the Balsa Store plane was on my short list. I thought I saw where the owner announced he was folding the company. That website says the plane's not available.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:38 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These will be back in stock next week. http://www.valleyviewrc.com/Yak%2054...SD%20Model.htm
Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 PM
airborne2.4

Nice Jody, that yak looks very nice!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:52 PM
joebob

Oops, you're right. I didn't look at the stock status, and the last time I checked, he still had some. There were copies of the plans made available on the profile brother hood site, but they were in PDF tiled format. If you don't mind scratch building one, that could be an option.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:09 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Tell me more please! I really like the semi-slab design with the hatch! More pictures please!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 PM
joebob

Are those the same plane Extreme Flight used to sell years ago? It's good that someone is bringing them back. Always thought they were a good looking plane. Never seen one fly, though. Anyone have any videos of them?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 PM
BlackPowder

Ok, thanks guys for the input on profile airplanes. I do have a Aeroworks ProX260 with a OS75 and one with a DLE 20. Let me tell you this is one hot Puppy. But I am always looking for a new one, so thanks. Jim
Old 01-05-2011, 06:19 PM
jedijody

Post # 1 in this thread, I'm no ace pilot but it's the only one in existance right now.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 PM
victorzamora

I think you're looking at the Golden Eagle Talon. It's actually a 50cc plane.
http://www.goldeneagleaircraft.com/talon.htm

Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Duplicator41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same CG location as for the original engine.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
outlander

BlackPowder
I have just ordered an AeroWorks .60-.90 ProX260 QB Freestyle . I ordered it with a DLE 20 and
I also have a new OS 75AX looking for a home . I see you have two Freestyles each with one of these
engines . How different do they perform ? Which do you like to fly the most , and why ? Any balancing
issues with either engine ?
I know the DLE 20 would be more cost affective to fly but I have both engines and want the best
for flight performance . I also have an old OS91FX I could use .

Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 PM
BlackPowder

outlander, First of all let state that I'm not a 3d pilot. But when I flew the AW260x with the os engine and static balanced it at the recomended cg of 5 1/8" it was very tail heavy and almost uncontrolable did manage to land it. I moved the cg to 4 7/8 and had to add nose weight it now flys great as with most profiles they are a joy to fly. I had to mount the DLE engine more foward tha the AW template indicated and still had to had weight to obtain static cg at 5". I have not flown this plane much because of te loudness of the stock muffer and am waiting for Bisson to send one they are making for me. But it has unbelievable power and I fell it will also be fun. I think that wood density has a lot of effect one this profile because I thought that with the 20cc gas engine it was going to be nose heavy. Sorry to be long winded but with a little work the DLE will be the way to go. Jim
Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 PM
outlander

Thanks for the insight . I too am not a 3D pilot . I have flown for about 3 years now (got started at 55) and my
latest plane was a H9 Tribute . It was my first 3D plane , but a joy to fly , lots of fun . I just completed a H9 twist
60 with an OS 91FSII to maiden when the snow melts . I fly a Tiger 2 with an OS 72FSa with skis in the winter .
I am moving into gas this spring and have a DLE 20 to go in a Tiger 120 or to use in the Freestyle . I also am worried
about the excessive noise . Could you use a snuffler with the stock muffler to quiet it down ? I don't see any tuned pipes
or canisters available yet for this engine .
I am also building a GP Giant Stick with a DLE 30 and a canister from Valley RC . I hope it is relatively quiet .
Thanks for your help .
Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 PM
BlackPowder

outlander, Check with Jtec they have a slection of mufflers. Also Email Bisson Muffler. I am using a slimline wraparound from a G26 on my DLE30 and it is relatively quiet. I started flying again at 55. You have two of my favorite airplanes the GP giant stick and H9 Tribute. Once dialed in the AW with DLE20cc will fly great. In a few posts back someone put a filter on their stock muffler. Jim
Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM
tms96460

I to thought that the DLE20 was a bit loud. Just for a temporary solution I put a Dubro .90 silicone exhaust

extension on the stock can and it really made the exhausttone acceptable. At 4 bucks you could try it and see.

<o></o>

Tim S.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:26 PM
mblackwell1002

FYI, I found an old .60 sized headder and muffled tuned pipe that fit the DLE 20 without too much modification. before anyone asks, I don't know the brand of either... they were in a box of tuned pipe parts i picked up at a swap meet. I had to add an extension to the headder to get the tuned length out to ~23 inches. With that said, the motor is on a test stand and has had about 30oz of fuel through it @ 30:1 and it's spinning an xoar 17x6 @ 8750 peak rpm. The pipe makes the motor whisper below 6k rpm, but once it's on the pipe she really sings (still quieter than the stock exhaust though! Throttle transition is very good unless it has been sitting @ idle for more than a minute. Midrange mixture seems good. More to come once it's on the OMP Fusion bought this for.

I'm sure the small diameter of the headder (5/8") and the small volume of the .60 sized pipe are holding it back some. I look forward to someone else putting a proper sized pipe or canister on one of these!

Great little motor!!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
airborne2.4

Pictures of the header would be good
Old 01-07-2011, 04:12 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: outlander

.......I am moving into gas this spring and have a DLE 20 to go in a Tiger 120 or to use in the Freestyle.......
Fwiw; AeroWorks has their own support section here on RCU, and there are several threads on the AW PROX260Freestyle .90 size + a sticky about revised CG over there.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_428/tt.htm]AeroWorks Support forum section on RCU.......[/link]

I did mine about 5 weeks before AW came out with their kit.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10036704]AW PROX260Freestyle .90 size w/DLE20cc........[/link]

Those two links should help you out a bit before starting yours.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: mblackwell1002

FYI, I found an old .60 sized headder and muffled tuned pipe that fit the DLE 20 without too much modification. before anyone asks, I don't know the brand of either... they were in a box of tuned pipe parts i picked up at a swap meet. I had to add an extension to the headder to get the tuned length out to ~23 inches. With that said, the motor is on a test stand and has had about 30oz of fuel through it @ 30:1 and it's spinning an xoar 17x6 @ 8750 peak rpm. The pipe makes the motor whisper below 6k rpm, but once it's on the pipe she really sings (still quieter than the stock exhaust though! Throttle transition is very good unless it has been sitting @ idle for more than a minute. Midrange mixture seems good. More to come once it's on the OMP Fusion bought this for.

I'm sure the small diameter of the headder (5/8'') and the small volume of the .60 sized pipe are holding it back some. I look forward to someone else putting a proper sized pipe or canister on one of these!

Great little motor!!
Several weeks ago I sent an email to Macs Products asking if they make a header that would be a close fit for the DLE 20. Here is what he said:

I do make a header that will fit. The exhaust port is a little bit smaller (21.50mm
wide & 9.90mm high) but the screw holes are the same. Its the #2985, #2986 or
#2987 these are made for the YS.91 SR motor so they have a 7/8" tube just the
size for your motor…
Old 01-08-2011, 09:40 PM
boostoman

this might be a stupid question but i was wandering if anyone could help.

would I require to retune my engine if I change my prop size?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Not stupid at all, and yes, probably a little.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:02 AM
sandyjain

ORIGINAL: montanacharlie

Ok guys here is what I have. Saw there was an interest in the Seagull models Extra 260. I was wanting the Edge540 to put the 20 in but this plane turned out to be a free-be, well almost. Anyhow, ended up around 9 lbs. CG is rear of what they recommended in the manual but ahead of the spar. Ive always gone by 1/3 the wing at the fuse. There CG is about an inch ahead of the spar. I ended up in between theres and the spar. I think it will be alright. Everything was mounted forward as I had read somewhere that this plane came out tail heavy. I haven't flown it yet due to sub zero temps and snow.[] I have ran it and I think it is going to be a rocket. Idles down to 1500rpm and on an APC 17x6 gets 8500 rpm. Seems like an awesome little engine so far!

Charlie
Hi Charlie,
Looking at your build I also got myself the extra 260 for my DLE 20.
In your pics I see that you have mounted the engine inverted, whereas the firewall has bind nuts for the mount in about 7 o'clock position. Did you change the mount position ? If yes, how ?

Any other tips or pics will be very welcome as I hv just begun the build.

Thanx

Sandy Jain
Old 01-09-2011, 09:46 AM
montanacharlie

Hey Sandy
Yes I did change the mount to full inverted. If i remember right I rough fit the cowl to find the distance from the firewall to the opening and then added an eigth of an inch for clearance. I mounted the motor to the beam mounts using the measurement that I got. From there I stood the plane on its tail so that the motor and mount would sit on the firewall. I rough cut the hole for the head of the motor to fit through so the cowl would fit over the engine. You can tape the cowl to the fuse now and from there you can move the engine around and find the sweet spot. Once you have the engine where you want it. Carefully remove the cowl with out moving the engine. Now you can mark your holes, drill, and mount your engine. This is what worked for me. Hope this helps. I have flown this plane a dozen times now and it flies great. Very happy with the combination.

Charlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.