Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 135 of 270 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185235 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 6729

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Got some great flying in this morning in the Bronx with my 70" GP Revolver and DLE20. Think I've finally got the DLE20 dialed in correctly - had to close the low end a tad and open up the high end another tad. Using an APC 16x8, and getting 1,700 rpm idle and 8,700 wot. Very good speed (though hard to be objective in a 15mph headwind...) and unlimited vertical. Did a couple of nice and high inverted "death spirals" today - got some good altitude first - then counted 20 seconds of spinning and falling! And after 20 secs of idle there was no hesitation on acceleration. And with that headwind the inverted hover just HUNG there! The gusts made for some interesting landings - but I like that - it keeps you on your toes. Love this plane and engine!
    Do you know approximately where your needles are? Iknow every engine is a little different, but just want some comparison settings to go by.Mine sometimes hangshigh at idle andat other times comes downand then speeds up. I'm really curious as to the low needle setting. I have a cheap 15x8 zinger on mine now but have never tached it. Hope to tomorrow by borrowing someones tach.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a strange issue with my DLE20. It runs but with a tiny misfire every 2 to 3 seconds, then after about 2 to 3 minutes it dies completely. I have checked my ignition wires and changed my battery pack to it (from 4.8 to 6volt). Removed my opti-kill, but none of these changes have made a difference. I shortened my fuel lines and verified no bubbles or kinks that I can see. I have tried to adjust the high and low mixtures, but nothing seems to stop these misfires and eventual dying after 2 to 3 minutes. The misfires seem bad at 1/2 speed to full throttle, but it idles smooth with no misfires. Any suggestions? Also, just F.Y.I. This DLE20 is in a 91" Piper Cub that weighs 11.5 lbs and when running, it has TONS of power for the cub (way more than needed actually).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you still running the DLE spark plug?
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have changed out the spark plug to an NGK. I guess I should have said that, as we all know the DLE plug is junk. Sorry.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have changed out the spark plug to an NGK. I guess I should have said that, as we all know the DLE plug is junk. Sorry.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anybody ran a tuned pipe on this motor? I know there is another thread with a guy building a profile up with an ES pipe, but no data as of yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a question. I just purchased a DLE-20 from my local hobby shop and set it up for break in. Changed plug to CM-6 other than that a standard engine. My issue is this: it starts fine; but the needles have no effect on the engine from clear closed to 4-5 turns open. I can close both needles and it runs the same. Not real good, seems rich.Help!
    Thanks

L.
    Cherokee Flyer
    Club SAITO #696

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Cherokee Flyer

My issue is this: it starts fine; but the needles have no effect on the engine from clear closed to 4-5 turns open. I can close both needles and it runs the same. Not real good, seems rich.*Help!
    Thats a new on for me! My DLE-20 tune changes with 1/8 of a turn hi or low. But not to fret, Master Jody will be here shortly to help you, or just to tell you to return it.
    Maybe I should just take rubbing alcohol with me to the field and rub the props down before starting any of my planes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Might be a bad air leak.
    Take it back to your LHS and exchange it.

Let your LHS deal with Hobbico's service dept!
    Jim L.
    Learn from the mistakes of others.You won,t live long enough to make all of them yourself.

ORIGINAL: Cherokee Flyer

I have a question. I just purchased a DLE-20 from my local hobby shop and set it up for break in. Changed plug to CM-6 other than that a standard engine. My issue is this: it starts fine; but the needles have no effect on the engine from clear closed to 4-5 turns open. I can close both needles and it runs the same. Not real good, seems rich.Help!
    Thanks

L.
    Definitely something wrong on the metering side of the carb, possibley a stuck open inlet needle. Not that hard to fix if you want to try it yourself but, even though you knowas much about carbs as Hobby Services techs,it may ruin any chance of warranty help if it came from Hobbico. If you need help and need it performed under warranty see your selling dealer first. Otherwise you could call me with carburetor and screw driver in hand.
    Now go outside and play

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jody

Since it was purchased from the LHS and support is one of the reasons I try to support them, I will return it to him. Not fair to take your time for a product you didn't sell. Thanks for the offer!

L.
    Cherokee Flyer
    Club SAITO #696

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All, This is my first post on this site.

I took my Seagull Yak 54 out to the field last Saturday for it's first flight with the DLE 20cc and I was very impressed. Trimmed down weight for the YAK is around 10 lbs and I was running a 17x8 prop because the LHS didn't have any 17x6's yet.

I had only about 1 tank of gas through the engine when I got to the filed and had not done much with tuning except to get it rich for the first tank.

Spent about 20 minutes tuning for max RPM minus 1/4 turn and then setting the idle so it would respond to WOT without much hesitation. Max RPM I could get right now was around 7200 and idle is around 2500/2800.

Right from the first flight I knew I was going to like this engine. I spent the end of last summer getting into gas with a RCG 26 from HobbyKing on my H9 1/4 scale cub and had nothing but problems. Could not keep the engine running and most of my landings were dead stick.

The DLE 20cc is a whole different experience. This little engine can really pull. I was doing vertical out of sight and this little guy never quite.

Three flights and no problems. I am really hooked on gas.

I hope to have my Xoar 17x6 for the next flight.

I do have one question. I notice that there is very little compression on this engine. I can flip the prop without much resistance. Will this improve or is the nature of this beast?

I also notice the step at idle which is a bit weird. Seems to idle down just fine till it hits a point then it kicks it up a notch. No problems with this in flight but when it happens pulling out from the flight line it has a whole new gear and I have to throttle it back a bit.

All in all a great first day with my DLE and glad I made the switch.

Thanks for a great forum and so much useful information.

Joe From Howell

Joe from Howell, MI

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello

Does anyone know the sound level at full throttle?
    Kenobi - I think we lost something.
    Skywalker - Not to worry, we are still flying half a ship.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would not back off the top end a full 1/4 turn from Max RPM...back it off only enough to drop the RPM about 200 RPM. These carbs do not need very much adjustment to change the fuel mixture quite a bit. 7200 RPM seems quite low.. Should be up around 8000. 1/4 turn may carbon up the plug pretty quickly.

Bruce

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: skyriter

I would not back off the top end a full 1/4 turn from Max RPM...back it off only enough to drop the RPM about 200 RPM. These carbs do not need very much adjustment to change the fuel mixture quite a bit. 7200 RPM seems quite low.. Should be up around 8000. 1/4 turn may carbon up the plug pretty quickly.

Bruce
    Gotcha! Thanks Bruce. I will try that.

The stock muffler is pretty loud. I didn't meter it but I have sent for a Pitts wrap around muffler from Jtec.

Does anyone know how much quieter the pitts muffler is?

Thanks,

Joe
    Joe from Howell, MI

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Pitts wrap around has a different tone to it, but it is not much quieter in my opinion to the stocker.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got a question for you pros on this thread. I have a Red max Zenoah engine & was going to install the magnet & sensor on a disk on rear of engine. But I got to thinking with fixed ignition...that could be done RIGHT? But with a auto advance ignition...will the advance be in the correct direction? Thanks Capt,n
    Imagination is far more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein.

http://www.lambertsrc.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes and yes.just time for 28 degrees before TDC.The electronic auto advance ignition unit and sensor does not know which direction the engine spins its magnet past the sensor so will work with anti clockwise and clockwise crank rotation.A mechanical advance fixed timing electronic system with sensor advance set off throttle would need reversing with reversed crank rotation .
    In your case,crank rotation stays the same.
    Club Saito member #695

I've re-timed engines for counter clockwise rotation several times, the sensor and module cannot tell the difference, flip the prop over  and you have a pusher.
    Now go outside and play

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jody, I need some help.

I had a bad crash of my extra 260 with the DLE20 today. :-(
    I might need a new ignition.
    Is there a spare DLE 20 ignition #4 available ? If not, can I use a standard Rcexl ignition ? What will be the the setting for the sensor ?

I hav some one coming to India from the US - DC area. Would like it shipped to him.

Regards
    Cheers....
    Sandy Jain

We have both modules in stock. I've very plainly explained the differences in them, my personal preferences, and what each of them should be timed at very recently in this forum. You need to decide for yourself which one you want.
    Now go outside and play

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Would you please tell us the post number you refer to for your preference and timing issues? Thank you.

Sincerely, Richard/Club SAITO #635

Though I do have a preference, I have no timing issues.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10402619
    Now go outside and play

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My dle20 has the #4 module & my dle30 has the #3, whats the diff?
    If you are born once, you die twice.
    If you are born twice, you only die once.

Now go outside and play