Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 05:06 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Side carb. Just checked my still-in-box DLE 30 - its' rear mounted. Do you think this is more of an issue with side-carbs?
I've run both and haven't run into the issue, but would think the side carb would see more turbulence/potential for the problem. That's just a guess though. You're pretty sure about your cooling being OK? A couple of pics maybe?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:42 PM
nk1851
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which engine mount do you recommend?
Thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Side carb. Just checked my still-in-box DLE 30 - its' rear mounted. Do you think this is more of an issue with side-carbs?
Lets get a little more technical this (XYZ) is a piston port induction side carbed. All the DLE's are reed valve crank case induction even the side carbed 30.

This thread has lasted a long time as NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post).
So pic's in another thread might get you some help. Not here from me.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:04 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: regets ama

keep going, that hole you are digging is just getting deeper.

the problem isnt the part(s), it is the assembly issue. i hope you took the issue to the correct group.

everything i have seen of DLE presented products has been better than average quality. i have steered many hobbyist to buy dle 30s and 55s,,,,,,,,,,now we know it is important to double check the finished product.
Digging a hole, what are you talking about?

The carburetor is not manufactured by DLE, it is produced by a large producer of OEM carburetors and many other parts or components. As I said, the issue was brought to their attention, they acknowledged it, took corrective action and implemented QC checks that should prevent it from reoccurring. This seems to me to be fairly easy to understand. Why would you not double check any component used on an 8 pound missile with a 17" spinning meat cleaver on the front of it?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:03 AM
RiverLarry

Jody I was not getting the hole thing !!! either ????
O well  mine is purring like a kitten thanks to you !!!

it is a hit and miss thing on the carb's   1 of mine was ok  1 was not !!!    probley a Friday thing !!!  O well
that is what makes this hobby FUN     started doing this when I was  11  -   60 now  still learning   first gasser  !!!

A1pcfixer seams to have it togather also  the tank thing was great !!!  and outher things not just the tank !! KEEP up the good work  boath of you !!!  
I will head south some time this summer and meet him  ( only 2.5  hr. away )  need to ck with him on some fun fly at his club   

Hope the weather  gets with the program  this weekend     TIME TO FLY        U 2  Captin John  lets do it  !!!       R/L   
Old 05-28-2011, 04:31 AM
iflywhenican

"Why would you not double check any component used on an 8 pound missile with a 17" spinning meat cleaver on the front of it?"

My SENTIMENTS exactly!!!!!! Seems that "GRABBIT and FLYIT" takes more precidence than safety.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
DwightMann

Who checks for loose screws inside the carb or taken apart every servo and receiver? Am I the only one who just installs engines and radio equipment without disassembling and inspecting that all screws have loctite or the integrity of the solder connections? That is why the manufacturers have QC departments.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 PM
regets ama
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: DwightMann

Who checks for loose screws inside the carb or taken apart every servo and receiver? Am I the only one who just installs engines and radio equipment without disassembling and inspecting that all screws have loctite or the integrity of the solder connections? That is why the manufacturers have QC departments.
exactly, guess we now have to completely disassemble the engine and carb, make sure the piston was secured with circlips, screws and bolts are tight, needle inlet valve is secured and set at proper height, pump diaphram has no holes, maybe magnaflux, etc,,,,,,,,

i've just never encountered such an issue with any OS or Thunder power engine.

i wonder why thier QC didnt catch mine, it is only 4 months old

so lesson learned, always dismantle your DLE engine to make sure the assembly was correct,,,,,,,,,
Old 05-30-2011, 12:27 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

If you purchase from a reputable dealer like Jody at Valley View then all that sort of work is already done for you

Karol
Old 05-30-2011, 12:28 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

All this over a loose screw that told off on itself. Just makes me want to look at an engine that I have still not found out why I seem to be the only one having trouble with.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 PM
afjetmech

ORIGINAL: karolh

If you purchase from a reputable dealer like Jody at Valley View then all that sort of work is already done for you

Karol
So you are saying Valley View unboxes and inspects every DLE inside and out before selling it? B.S.! Lets not give credit where it is not due. No one should have to disassemble an engine to confirm it was built right before putting in on their"8 pound missle". Not Valley View, Tower Hobbies, or anyone who sells or buys one of these. Sure, an external once over is expected to make sure nothing totally obvious is out of place, but having to get into the internals is ridiculous.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:15 PM
jedijody

We were talking about a single screw that was intermitantly being sent to DLE as part of an assembly without being torqued properly. I truthfully and acuratelystated the issue has been addressed and the problem rectified.

Does the engine warranty cover your airframe, radio gear, and provide for liability coverage, no. Does the guidence system manufacturer's warranty extend to the airframe and engine, no. Does the airframe manufacturer have an umbrella warranty covering the engine and radio gear, not.

We do unpack, inspect, and check for loose screws,nuts, and bolts etc.. We don't completely disassemble the engines as rulebut when a preventablereoccurring problem surfaces we do look for those issues and disassemble an engine as far as necessary to do so and correct it if present.

When I build a plane, I do not assume anything, anything I take for granted is my responsibility. I DO disassemble an engine before it goes on my or anyone I'm building for's airframe. The carburetor is the first thing I disassemble and inspect.

I never said the problem was anyone but the factory's responsibility to correct, it had been discussed in this forum multiple times. Once discovered, no engine left our store without it being check for and corrected if necessary.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:42 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

captinjohn - in post 659 you said you may sell your DLE 30. Any problems with it, or is it that - size-wise - it doesn't fit your current planes? I'm about to install a new DLE 30 in a CG Sukhoi...
No big problems. It was a side carb engine...but I changed it to rear intake. I guess I will keep it, but if I had it to do again, I would get a 20cc, a 55cc and maybe someday aTwin DLE. A 30 size DLE to me does not fit as many airplanes and a little bigger airplane with a DLE55 would be very nice.

River Larry, after I stopped and tralked the darn wind came up here and very gusty. We will get together soon and fly I hope. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 05-30-2011, 08:48 PM
w1nd6urfa
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: regets ama

exactly, guess we now have to completely disassemble the engine and carb, make sure the piston was secured with circlips, screws and bolts are tight, needle inlet valve is secured and set at proper height, pump diaphram has no holes, maybe magnaflux, etc,,,,,,,,
Don't forget to inspect the carb metering valve and seat for aluminum scrapes left over from the lathe ...
Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 AM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

Many years ago when I learned to fly full scale aircraft I was taught to do a preflight check of the aircraft. You inspect everything (within reason) by sight and do a little pulling and tugging on some things. To dismantle various parts of the aircraft to check on integrity is neither practical or necessary. I always check my model engines over (gas or glow) before installing them into the plane but that does not mean dismantling them to make sure they were assembled right. I think that is taking things way too far. But if you feel you must, have at it.

I have three DLE engines from VVRC with no issues. I fully appreciate the time and effort Jody gives his customers in answering questions and to take the time to inspect the engines before shipping. Does Tower or TBM do that? If you have read the various threads on the DLE20, 30, and 55, you would realize the effort Jody puts into his profession. He is very knowledgeable and he has my full respect. He is the reason I buy my DLE's from VVRC.

Indiomike (George Burge)

Old 05-31-2011, 03:00 AM
RiverLarry

Well  I am with you on that INDIOMIKE   I was a bad boy  and did not get my dle 20  from  Jody and V V R C !!!
 ( WELL THAT WONT HAPPEN AGAN )     !!  I called the man on the phone  and told him where I got them from  and he still help me out !!!
that is  custermer service  !!!   we had a great talk  !!!  and boath agread   YOU CANT FIX STUPED !!!
And this carb thing got way out of hand !!!   so a screws was loose   big deal   !!!!
with any thing  ther should be some type of pre flight done  !!!  not just airplans 
WHAT EVER HAPPEN TO COMMON SENCE !!!!     next time , now that summer is hear  I think if you see a car over heated on the side of the road
WHO IS THAT PERSON GOING TO BLAME !!!!    Common Sence   I wish you would come back     we sure miss you !!! 

Jody and outhers have done a great job  getting us up to speed on the DLE 20  ( too many names to post )  but you know who you are !!!!
for that we thank you  ( or at least ME )   well my  $0.02 !!!    for what it is worth    the outher post that were    did not help me out at all 
   All it did was confurm  
 YOU CANT FIX STUPED !!!!   and  Common Sence  is  Gone !!!!                                                                                                                   
                                                                                                              R/L      

Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 AM
iflywhenican

COMMON SENSE and PREFLIGHT does defeat "STUPID." Some of the time.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

That only applied to Stupid ver 3.0[&o]
Rumor has it that Stupid ver 8.7 is available[sm=bananahead.gif]

Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Speaking of stupid, my DLE 20 would not idle-down this morning, even with the throttle all the way down. I suspected a "traveling" or misaligned throttle plate. So I took the engine and carb off - right there in the middle of the field - good thing I bring all tools. Sure enough, the throttle plate was misaligned, leaving a gap at closed-throttle. But the screw seemed tight. So I'm guessing I didn't line it up correctly when I last worked on it. MY BAD. OR maybe the plate DID move. Well, it's on correctly now and the screw is tightened properly, and the engine is also running perfectly. Nice, low idle. I'll monitor it to see if that plate moves again.

Seems to me this issue would not happen if the screw hole were just large enough to fit the screw, with no play.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 AM
a1pcfixer

Did ya Locktite that screw?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

That only applied to Stupid ver 3.0[&o]
Rumor has it that Stupid ver 8.7 is available[sm=bananahead.gif]

One day I was walking down the beach with some friends when one Of them shouted, "Look at that dead bird!" Someone looked up at the Sky and said, "Where ?"

Stupid IS...no matter what version.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Locktite is the one thing I didn't have with me in the field. Guess I should re-do it with the LT.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:22 PM
alex_scratch_built

Hi guys,

I took mine apart for inspection after 2 galons. I saw there are still small areas of the cylinder (above the exhaust port) where the ring has not seated yet. I am using mineral oil. Should the ring seat completely after say 3 gallons. Compression seems goo though and performance as well.

The other thing is that I saw some fuel that is leakin very slightly from the choke plate pivot. Is this normal? There was also some fuel on the front face of the carb

I had some carbon buildup on top of the piston but that should just increase the compression right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98457.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1617935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33247.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1617936  
Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
jedijody

Old 06-01-2011, 02:11 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Eggactly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.