Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Old 09-02-2011, 06:28 PM
  #4501
mschulz531
 
mschulz531's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 469
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

revoked...pics of chopped up twist already posted...duh.
mschulz531 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:31 PM
  #4502
crazyflyboy30
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Beverlyhills, CA
Posts: 59
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: qspilotcmh

I have a DLE20 on an Aeroworks profile. The motor mounts sideways and the muffler points straight out parallel to the wing. I would like to attach an exhaust deflector to angle it downwards. I have a Dubro model from a glow motor.

Do you think it would effect the engines performance or temperature.

Thanks
Just get a 90 degree copper elbow (plumbing) like mine.
Runs like a champ, a really great combo!
The only thing is that I would put the fuel tank on the other side.
crazyflyboy30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:19 PM
  #4503
crazyflyboy30
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Beverlyhills, CA
Posts: 59
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Wow....can't remember ever seeing any size Twist chopped that much in order to fit an engine in it. Ouch!

Too bad H9 quit making the Twist 3D 150. It's the perfect match for a DLE20!
Fits like a glove.
I had a Twist 3D 150 the man I got from did no't like it I got it in a trade I did no't like it I sold it for $200 RTF with a new SuperTigre G2300and all the servos.perTigre G-2300
crazyflyboy30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 PM
  #4504
mesaflyer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calimesa, CA
Posts: 881
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: jedijody

The ignition I sent does have auto advance, it's the standard Rcexl ignition identical to the one supplied for the DLE55. The difference is that the advance is increased/decreased in multiple smaller increments along the RPM band between 2000 and about 4000 RPM instead of all the advance/retard at once at a specific single RPM point where some critical maneuvers (like landing) are trying to be performed.

Happy to hear it's working out well for you!
Well it has me fooled! With the smaller increments spread out over a larger range, I did not notice any "unplanned" change in the engine rpm, but I suppose that's the idea.

Thanks again Jody.

And on another item, thanks for sending me to Jim. The part I needed is on it's way. I should have my son's plane in the air next weekend.
mesaflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:24 PM
  #4505
unclecrash
 
unclecrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: White Lake, MI
Posts: 1,523
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: qspilotcmh

I have a DLE20 on an Aeroworks profile. The motor mounts sideways and the muffler points straight out parallel to the wing. I would like to attach an exhaust deflector to angle it downwards. I have a Dubro model from a glow motor.

Do you think it would effect the engines performance or temperature.

Thanks
Just get a 90 degree copper elbow (plumbing) like mine.
Runs like a champ, a really great combo!
A1 wondering if thats the 8oz. tank, and if so how long of a run do you get on it.
unclecrash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:53 PM
  #4506
sandyjain
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi, INDIA
Posts: 241
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Mesaflyer, did you change the hall sensor position I.e. 38to 28 deg. BTDC? I think I recall Jody mention this that using the DLE55 ignition with DLE20 requires for the timing to be changed.
sandyjain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:38 PM
  #4507
a1pcfixer
 
a1pcfixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: La Porte, IN
Posts: 2,505
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: unclecrash

A1 wondering if thats the 8oz. tank, and if so how long of a run do you get on it.
It is, and I'm sneaking up on 12 minutes with about 2 oz left over.
So far it appears the DLE20 could go 15 minutes......then empty.
I fly a mix of easy, moderate, and some 3D manuevers, at between 1/4 - full throttle.
a1pcfixer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 PM
  #4508
a1pcfixer
 
a1pcfixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: La Porte, IN
Posts: 2,505
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: crazyflyboy30

The only thing is that I would put the fuel tank on the other side.
One that side would be counter productive & inconvienient.
As is, it's on the same side for fueling as is setting the choke, as is starting position for me.
a1pcfixer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:23 AM
  #4509
ghoffman
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bedford, NH
Posts: 1,300
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer


Too bad H9 quit making the Twist 3D 150. It's the perfect match for a DLE20!
Fits like a glove.
And they quit making the Ultra Stick 60 and 120 as well. What's up with that?

ghoffman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 AM
  #4510
mesaflyer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calimesa, CA
Posts: 881
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: sandyjain

Mesaflyer, did you change the hall sensor position I.e. 38to 28 deg. BTDC? I think I recall Jody mention this that using the DLE55 ignition with DLE20 requires for the timing to be changed.
SJ,
I did not need to change the position, because it did not need it. But I did check it to make sure it's at 28 degrees, and it is.
mesaflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:45 AM
  #4511
a1pcfixer
 
a1pcfixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: La Porte, IN
Posts: 2,505
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: ghoffman


Quote:
ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer


Too bad H9 quit making the Twist 3D 150. It's the perfect match for a DLE20!
Fits like a glove.
And they quit making the Ultra Stick 60 and 120 as well. What's up with that?

Most like poor sales.
Bean counters will get us every time.
a1pcfixer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:53 PM
  #4512
sandyjain
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi, INDIA
Posts: 241
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: mesaflyer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: sandyjain

Mesaflyer, did you change the hall sensor position I.e. 38to 28 deg. BTDC? I think I recall Jody mention this that using the DLE55 ignition with DLE20 requires for the timing to be changed.
SJ,
I did not need to change the position, because it did not need it. But I did check it to make sure it's at 28 degrees, and it is.
So what you are saying is that you had a DLE20 with 28* BTDC timing and a DLE20 special CDi with #4 sticker. And now you have changed the the CDi to a DLE55 standard without touching the timing. I am confused here as Jody informed that the DLE20 came with 38* timing.
sandyjain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:07 PM
  #4513
jedijody
Thread Starter
 
jedijody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,812
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

The come timed at 35* not 38*.
jedijody is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:39 AM
  #4514
sandyjain
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi, INDIA
Posts: 241
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Okay but how come Mesaflyer's was at 28* ???
I am a little curious because I am about to mount a DLE20 with a DLE55 CDI and I had to change the timing from the 35-38* to 28*. the setup is still on my bench and in case I need to check something I can..
sandyjain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 AM
  #4515
a1pcfixer
 
a1pcfixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: La Porte, IN
Posts: 2,505
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: sandyjain

Okay but how come Mesaflyer's was at 28* ???
I am a little curious because I am about to mount a DLE20 with a DLE55 CDI and I had to change the timing from the 35-38* to 28*. the setup is still on my bench and in case I need to check something I can..
A large part of such confusion stems from folks believing the many mistakes in
the Hobbico/Tower Hobbies Owners Manual, which mistakenly states;

Ignition Timing Adjustment
The ignition timing is preset on the DLE-20 at 38-40° before Top Dead
Center (TDC).


Although their manual is better illustrated and has more content than the official
DLE20 manual, it has MANY errors in it!

Here's more info on the ignitions DLE uses;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm
a1pcfixer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 AM
  #4516
crazyflyboy30
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Beverlyhills, CA
Posts: 59
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: crazyflyboy30

The only thing is that I would put the fuel tank on the other side.
One that side would be counter productive & inconvienient.
As is, it's on the same side for fueling as is setting the choke, as is starting position for me.
1 the engine exhaust would no'thiting the tank ,2 the wight fo the tank is on the other side from engine.You can still fill from the engine side as I do my airplane.
crazyflyboy30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:06 AM
  #4517
mesaflyer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calimesa, CA
Posts: 881
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: sandyjain

Mesaflyer, did you change the hall sensor position I.e. 38to 28 deg. BTDC? I think I recall Jody mention this that using the DLE55 ignition with DLE20 requires for the timing to be changed.
sandyjain,
When I got the engine several months ago, all I did was check to see where the timing was, and if my memory serves me, I believe it was around 33-35. I adjusted it to closer to 30, which I think is about all the sensor housing would allow. Maybe that was wrong, maybe I should have left the timing where it was. I read somewhere that these little gassers should have their timing at 28 BTDC, so that is what I tried to do. I do know that the engine ran great with the exception of the auto advance. Once the engine had a gallon or so thru it, I was able to almost tune-out the rpm jump down. Maybe I should have tried setting the timing back to 33-35, but I did not even think about it. The engine ran great, had great transition, and I was just enjoying the flying.

Last month the engine stumbled a couple times and then quit in flight. The engine might have got too hot, at least that is what it looked like to me and Jody. I say "might" because after I installed a new piston, ring, and plug, the engine would not start. It would not start because the white wire on the hall sensor was broke right at the casing. I will never know if this caused the engine to quit, or it got too hot. I have had several e-mails with Jody concerning this engine. He sent me a new ignition (for a DLE 55). When I installed it, I checked the timing, and it is real close to 28 BTDC, so I did not need to adjust anything.

I'm just an average modeler who can fly ok. I'm not looking for maximum performance, I prefer reliability. I just enjoy building from kits, and then flying the crap out of the plane. If I have an issue, I ask the people who know for help. And in this case, Jody has gone above and beyond the norm in helping me with this engine. As a side benefit, I also learned a little bit about these small gas motors along the way.

I hope this helps.

Pete
mesaflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM
  #4518
a1pcfixer
 
a1pcfixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: La Porte, IN
Posts: 2,505
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: crazyflyboy30


Quote:
ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: crazyflyboy30

The only thing is that I would put the fuel tank on the other side.
One that side would be counter productive & inconvienient.
As is, it's on the same side for fueling as is setting the choke, as is starting position for me.
1 the engine exhaust would no't hiting the tank ,2 the wight fo the tank is on the other side from engine.You can still fill from the engine side as I do my airplane.
(1)The exhaust (as I have it deflected) BARELY sprays my tank, and
(2)as positioned on the C.G. has zero effect on counter balancing the eng!
(3) AW custom install kit puts the tank in the same location as well. Although
I did mine 2 months before AW came out with their install kit.

Lateral balance AND C.G. are both great on mine. Rcv & battery are in hatch opposite the eng.
Neat, convienient, and effective!
a1pcfixer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:56 PM
  #4519
opencourse
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 7
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

I'm almost finished installing my DLE 20. Everything was straightforward, and I am anxious to fly it. The only problem I have is the spark plug cap connecting to the spark plug. The engine is mounted inverted and I can press the cap on till the metal casing of the cap hits the metal shoulder of the plug. ( Can't go any further on.) After a few moments, the cap falls off with nothing but gravity to pull on it. Have not tried to start the engine. Has anyone else encountered this problem with the spark plug cap?
Thanks,
Opencourse
opencourse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:00 PM
  #4520
ahicks
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,530
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: opencourse

I'm almost finished installing my DLE 20. Everything was straightforward, and I am anxious to fly it. The only problem I have is the spark plug cap connecting to the spark plug. The engine is mounted inverted and I can press the cap on till the metal casing of the cap hits the metal shoulder of the plug. ( Can't go any further on.) After a few moments, the cap falls off with nothing but gravity to pull on it. Have not tried to start the engine. Has anyone else encountered this problem with the spark plug cap?
Thanks,
Opencourse
Push harder. The cap should hide the hex part of the plug when completely seated.
ahicks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:04 PM
  #4521
a1pcfixer
 
a1pcfixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: La Porte, IN
Posts: 2,505
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: opencourse

................... I can press the cap on till the metal casing of the cap hits the metal shoulder of the plug. ( Can't go any further on.) ............
Opencourse
Yep, push harder (push & twist at same time).
When FULLY seated, the cap nearly covers the entire hex of the plug.
a1pcfixer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:07 PM
  #4522
opencourse
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 7
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Thanks for the help. I'm just not strong enough, but the rubber mallet worked fine. Does the coiled spring inside the cap serve a purpose?
opencourse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:13 PM
  #4523
a1pcfixer
 
a1pcfixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: La Porte, IN
Posts: 2,505
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

It's there to assist in getting a good ground to the plug.
Not always required when your cap fits so tight.
a1pcfixer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 PM
  #4524
crazyflyboy30
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Beverlyhills, CA
Posts: 59
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: opencourse

Thanks for the help. I'm just not strong enough, but the rubber mallet worked fine. Does the coiled spring inside the cap serve a purpose?
The coiled spring keep it from moveing but lost one so I took the C ring off and tighted it up so tight I use a clamp to put the cap back on my DLE-111
crazyflyboy30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:13 PM
  #4525
crazyflyboy30
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Beverlyhills, CA
Posts: 59
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)


Quote:
ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: crazyflyboy30


Quote:
ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer


Quote:
ORIGINAL: crazyflyboy30

The only thing is that I would put the fuel tank on the other side.
One that side would be counter productive & inconvienient.
As is, it's on the same side for fueling as is setting the choke, as is starting position for me.
1 the engine exhaust would no'thiting the tank ,2 the wight fo the tank is on the other side from engine.You can still fill from the engine side as I do my airplane.
(1)The exhaust (as I have it deflected) BARELY sprays my tank, and
(2)as positioned on the C.G. has zero effect on counter balancing the eng!
(3) AW custom install kit puts the tank in the same location as well. Although
I did mine 2 months before AW came out with their install kit.

Lateral balance AND C.G. are both great on mine. Rcv & battery are in hatch opposite the eng.
Neat, convienient, and effective!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25717.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1659169  
crazyflyboy30 is offline  
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:39 AM.