Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Estang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

here is a measurement question i have not been able to locate any where. I am looking for the distance from the prop washer to the back of the engine. The plate where the carb is mounted to.

I need 4 3/4 inch, this will determin how long of stand offs i will need.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:16 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Most all DLE20 info is in Post #1 of this thread.

Btw; a DLE20 is a rail mount, not a radial mount
so there is no "stand-off's" involved.

Most any glow style 1.20 mount will work.
Look for one that's long on the rails.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

ORIGINAL: w1nd6urfa

Here's why we should always use a ball link for throttle: EZ link broke from vibrations
EZ links suck in general. I would also recommend a washer under the screw head with a ball link to prevent it coming off if the ball link gets loose.

Like in this photo....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30514.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1670623  
Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 AM
DwightMann

I have an extra 260. I purchased the conversion kit from aeroworks. It has a few problems.
Do not mount the throttle servo as they recommend. The servo arm will hit the wing tube. Place it further towards the rear and bend the pushrod to clear the tube or use a flex cable.
If you install at the recommended distance between the firewall and spinner backplate, the mixture screws will be in within the thickness of the firewall.
Lay everything out before you cut or glue. The conversion was not thought out very well. You may be better off building a new motor box
Old 10-06-2011, 09:24 AM
a1pcfixer

You might browse their support forum here on RCU.
Someone might need to know about that -or- already does know.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tt.asp?forumid=428
Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Estang

A1pcfixer,
  Back on page 167 post # 4153. someone made a back plate that bolts to the back cover plate, that will convert this engine to a stand-off setup instead of a rail mount.

That is the item I ordered and hope to recieve soon. With the Aeroworks 60-90 Extra 300. the carb will have to be behind the firewall, I was thinking this item would make it a lot easier to mount the DLE-20.

I agree the first page of the forum is full of almost everything anyone could want to know about this engine, except the one measurement I did not see.

After mounting a DLE-30 to a ESM FW-190 A8, I dont think I will use a rail system again if I can get away from it.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:07 PM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: DwightMann

I have an extra 260. I purchased the conversion kit from aeroworks. It has a few problems.
Do not mount the throttle servo as they recommend. The servo arm will hit the wing tube. Place it further towards the rear and bend the pushrod to clear the tube or use a flex cable.
If you install at the recommended distance between the firewall and spinner backplate, the mixture screws will be in within the thickness of the firewall.
Lay everything out before you cut or glue. The conversion was not thought out very well. You may be better off building a new motor box
Have the same plane and made conversion exactly like AW suggested and have no problems. They were out of the conversion kit but didn't matter, I made it from parts laying around. Yes the mixture screws were in the way, but a pair of needle nose pliers is all u need. Besides, this engine runs so good, once u get it setup, you needn't bother. Runs great all the time, doesn't miss a beat.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:55 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: Estang

A1pcfixer,
Back on page 167 post # 4153. someone made a back plate that bolts to the back cover plate, that will convert this engine to a stand-off setup instead of a rail mount.

That is the item I ordered and hope to recieve soon. With the Aeroworks 60-90 Extra 300. the carb will have to be behind the firewall, I was thinking this item would make it a lot easier to mount the DLE-20.
Hmmm, OK....good luck!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:07 PM
DwightMann

I am very satisfied with mine as well. The fact that you did not use their conversion kit probably explains why you did not have any issues. And you saved a few $$.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:23 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

I used the conversion kit and had no problems.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:59 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

I am using one and saved me some weight ( stupid H9 Aluminum mounts, too heavy and i don't trust plastic ) and had good luck on top of it
Old 10-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Estang

the distance from the prop washer to the back of the engine is 3 13/16 inch... If anyone can update the first page, It might be helpfull to others down the road

The back plate attachment is 1/8" think therefor 13/16" standoffs will be required to make the prop sit at 3 3/4 inch. If I order 3/4 inch standoffs. this will sit my prop 1/16" out past the recomended leingth, which I dont think is a very big deal.

So, If anyone else is taking the route I am takeing with the DLE-20. You will need to subtract 3 13/16" from the distanced needed to the prop washer and make/buy standoffs to make up the diference.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:52 PM
DwightMann

I am very happy with the plane, it is well built and flies great. The template for the cutout in the firewall would not allow the carb to fit. The conversion kit that I received must have been different.

I have a MAS 16-8 3 blade. I am thinking of trying a 17-6, what prop are you using?
Old 10-09-2011, 02:20 PM
freedogg

Would appreciate a little help in engine selection.

I am buying a Sig Rascal 110 soon and am having a bit of trouble deciding which engine to put in it. It's a pretty big plane and I'm thinking a Saito 150 or a DLE 20. I have experience with the Saitos, but no experience with the DLE's (gassers). The Saitos sound good but drink a lot of fuel, which isn't getting any cheaper!! The gas engines are less expensive to run and make a lot less mess. I can imagine cleaning all the oil off an airplane that size. Takes me almost an hour to clean my Senior Kadet after a good day of flying (Saito 72 which is sweet).

You guys are all very knowledgable and I'd really like to hear your reccommendations!!!

THANX !!!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:28 PM
a1pcfixer

DLE20 would fly it, but have little reserve if needed.
Better to go with a DLE30 or the Saito 150.

Read Post #1 for specs & details on the DLE20.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saito 1.50 and DLE 20 havevery similar performance. Club mate re-engine a Pulse 12.5 from a Saito 150 to  DLE20 to cut down on runnng costs.
Pulse performs even better now.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:06 AM
mesaflyer

ORIGINAL: freedogg

I am buying a Sig Rascal 110 soon and am having a bit of trouble deciding which engine to put in it. It's a pretty big plane and I'm thinking a Saito 150 or a DLE 20. I have experience with the Saitos, but no experience with the DLE's (gassers). The Saitos sound good but drink a lot of fuel, which isn't getting any cheaper!! The gas engines are less expensive to run and make a lot less mess. I can imagine cleaning all the oil off an airplane that size. Takes me almost an hour to clean my Senior Kadet after a good day of flying (Saito 72 which is sweet).

You guys are all very knowledgable and I'd really like to hear your reccommendations!!!

THANX !!!!!
Just do a search on here for "Rascal 110" and you will find lots of info regarding engines installed on this plane.

Personally, me being a novice, one thing I believe in is that "there is no replacement for displacement". But that's just me.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
SU-31 flyer

If you go gas make sure you go with gas lines and stopper in tank. You will love the easy starts and almost no mess with gas.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mesaflyer

THANX !!!!!
Just do a search on here for ''Rascal 110'' and you will find lots of info regarding engines installed on this plane.

Personally, me being a novice, one thing I believe in is that ''there is no replacement for displacement''. But that's just me.
With that type of plane I would not hesitate to use a DLE 20, this little engine has plenty of power and I don't expect you to do 3D or anything extreme with such a plane. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed a DLE 20 in a Kit built Top Flite P-40. Used a cowling from a BH P-40C. there is plenty to room with this cowling using a compact J-Tec pitts muffler. This is my third DLE 20. However with a Master Airscrew 16-8 three blade prop it will only turn about 6,800 rpm. Have one on my H9 Hellcat with same prop, but with stock muffler. It turns 8,400 rpm. I have another in a TF Mustang, it turns a two blade 16-8 8,550 rpm with J-Tec compact pitts. Idle is good and fairly smooth at 1,680 rpm with good transition. Just wont turn up. Away from home now, but I will check the timing when I get home. Then try stock muffler. Don't know what would make this much difference in power.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 AM
boostoman

RBean,

is the p-40 a really fast plane with the DLE20 on it?

can you show us pictures of the engine fitted on the plane. Iwould like to know how did the DLE 20 fit in the cowling?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:34 AM
freedogg

Thanx for all the replys.

As A1PCFIXER says, the DLE 20 is on the low side as far as power is concerned. The next step up is the DLE 30 which is the high side. I also think the size of the DLE 30 is too big for the Rascal 100's narrow cowl.

Then comes the SYSSA 30cc. This looks like a VERY good engine, but once again, it's a bit much for the Rascal 110. I would rather have a little more power than less. I think I'll call Todd Syssa and see what he thinks.

The rascal 110 will fly with a Saito 100. There are you tube vids of the plane flying with a Saito 120 and a DLE 20 and both of them seem to fly the plane o.k. but as Jim said, nothing extra.

So the dilemma continues......
Old 10-12-2011, 04:17 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanx for all the replys.

As A1PCFIXER says, the DLE 20 is on the low side as far as power is concerned. The next step up is the DLE 30 which is the high side. I also think the size of the DLE 30 is too big for the Rascal 100's narrow cowl.

Then comes the SYSSA 30cc. This looks like a VERY good engine, but once again, it's a bit much for the Rascal 110. I would rather have a little more power than less. I think I'll call Todd Syssa and see what he thinks.

The rascal 110 will fly with a Saito 100. There are you tube vids of the plane flying with a Saito 120 and a DLE 20 and both of them seem to fly the plane o.k. but as Jim said, nothing extra.

So the dilemma continues......
Maybe consider the intended personality of the plane? It's designed to fly on it's wings, not the prop, in a pretty layed back flying style, IMHO. My vote would be for the DLE20. That should be PLENTY of power.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:29 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Yesterday we saw a very demonstration of this. I had my DLE-20 powered 3DHS Velox at the field as well as another gentleman who had a DLE-20 powered high wing plane very similar to a Rascal in size and configuration (I do not know what this plane was specifically, but I have flown a Saito 150 powered Rascal). His plane still had very good power with decent speed even with a lousy Zinger prop. This engine on his plane started with 1 flip each time, idled well while taxiing out, and was airborne in 40-50 feet on grass. He had it on a buddy box and it was gentle enough to use as a trainer at about 1/2 throttle. The DLE-20 on a 7.5 pound Velox is a very different style of flying.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 AM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boostoman, I'm away from home now but will try to take pictures this weekend and post. As far as how fast the plane is, I don't know. I've flown it several times but until I can get the power up to where it should be I don't know. It should be plenty of power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.