Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 189 of 268 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,725 of 6697

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

You certainly do not need it on a DLE-20.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

Don't know if this has been covered but the manual recommends that you use a vibration damping mount like the Dubro mount listed in the back of the manual. I also read in RC Universe that vibration mounts were not only not recommended but would do damage. This is my first gasser and I want to do the right thing. I always thought that a vibration mount was a good thing...............opinions?????

Thanks,
    Andy
    They shake more than a nitro engine at idle and very low rpm, but I never see anyone running a damping mount. Flying wires are pretty easy to justify, and balancing a prop as best you can isn't a bad plan either? The bigger props used with the gassers don't always come "close enough" IMHO.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andy,

That manual you speak of is NOT the official one from DLE, but rather the one made up by Hobbico/Tower Hobbies.
    It contains a bunch of errors in it.

NO anti-vibrations mounts are needed for a DLE20cc gas engine.
    Jim L.
    Learn from the mistakes of others.You won,t live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK............thanks for the responses............I did originally buy the Dubro anti-vibe because of the manual and the Chinese manual.........the real one......does not specify anything. The Tower manual says not to use the GP adjustable mounts with the firewall stuff.........where do you get beam mounts? I'm putting one of my DLE20's in a TF P47 60-sized ARF and the other in the GP PT17 Stearman.

Another quick question...........is a 1450mah NiMh 4.8V battery good enough for just ignition. I will use another battery for the rest of the plane.

Thanks again for all help.

Andy
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Most any glow engine 1.20 size mount will work, up to around abouts 1.50 size.

That battery is fine.
    Jim L.
    Learn from the mistakes of others.You won,t live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also, trash the stock spark plug yours came with (DLE/3) and get a NGK/CM-6.
    Honda number is 98052-56471, it's an NGK CM-6 in a Honda box.
    {gap it at .024}

Most small eng repair shops carry them.

Many of the stock DLE plugs give folks troubles.
    Jim L.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Jim.............and I already was given a heads-up on the plug from a friend of mine in Ohio. Bought 3 ofthe NGK plugs before I knew that I was going to buy another DLE20.

I already had an OS91FX 2-stroke in my GP PT17 and then just decided that that probably was not the best choice so I'm going to the DLE. It was already rigged for a glow-driver so the battery is in place for the ignition.
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: freedogg

ghoffmanΒ* that looks like us up in Erie, PA!!!

Can't build all winter long...gotta fly sometimes!!

I still haven't figured out which engine I'm putting in the Rascal 110.Β* I know the DLE 20 will fly it but that's the lowest of the low end.Β* I also like my 4 strokes and am probably leaning towards the Saito 150 at this time.

ghoffman, how did you like it with the Saito 150 when you flew it???
    I had a Rascal 110 with an OS 1.60 2 stroke and it would hover, knife edge and high alpha knife edge. I sold the plane but if I had another, I would concider a DLE 30 for it to get the same power I had but lower operating cost.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This thread is too long to read in its entirety. However I did read someone was going to try a canister muffler and I did see the You-Tube video. In the video this engine seamed way too noisy for pattern flying. Has someone tried the canister muffler? And if so what is the db rating?

Thanks for any feedback.

OldBob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Oldbob

This thread is too long to read in its entirety. However I did read someone was going to try a canister muffler and I did see the You-Tube video. In the video this engine seamed way too noisy for pattern flying. Has someone tried the canister muffler? And if so what is the db rating?

Thanks for any feedback.

OldBob

But until you read it, you'll miss tons of great info.

For the search challenged (besides it's not in this msg thread);
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Goose%27s+Aerow...0+build+thread
    Jim L.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Old Bob & Fixer, Been running mine using a canister/header from BPhobbies and it is pretty quiet & it is in a Arresti.Pics are buried back in this thread. It does OK. I'm planning on trying Sportsman at the nearest next meet. Also, has anyone done any testing on this engine using E85? Do you think there would be any increase in power?

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First time I flew the P-40 with the new prop and wasn't turning up, still, became really rich in the air. I ducted air from the top scoop to just above and rear of carb. Also altered a spinner to use which looks more scale for C model P-40. Pained cowl. Paint almost matches. Use old 16-8 Master Airscrew three blade. Turning about 8,150 rpm. This should increase some after broken in. I got to fly the plane once today before it got too windy. Also sun right in eye turning to final didn't help. Anyway, engine ran great. Plenty of power so installation works. Here are some pictures all put together and painted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx71171.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	1675599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq50566.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	1675600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz70104.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	1675601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bu58170.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	1675602  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RBean,
    Nice looking plane. Interesting that your engine became rich in the air. My other engine (not DLE) on my Sea Fury did the same thing. I ended up having to cut more of the cowl to let in more air. The engine ran great after that.

FYI
    I bought a MAS 16x8x3 for my CRRC 26 (which the engine did not like at all, so I removed it) a few months ago. It has a 1680T and a 4120T on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ran great today. Didn't get rich in the air. My fix of ducting air to carb, also plugging up firewall to prevent causing a vaccum or low pressure area in upper rear cowl may have helped. Now if I can sort out some of its handling problems that would help. Didn't over heat. Ran good through out power range.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RBean,
    wow your P40 looks really good. i really want get one now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built my own glass pack for this engine. It seemed to work good. I have some photos of it on the Tiger 60 page. Will see if I can find the photos or link it here.

-Eric-

Shinny side up on landing is usually easier to pick up at the end of the runway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Estang

I built my own glass pack for this engine. It seemed to work good. I have some photos of it on the Tiger 60 page. Will see if I can find the photos or link it here.
    Looking forward to links and/or photos.Thanks in advance!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You might want to still try ducting the air flow directly over the fins of the engine. In your pictures you can see that there is alot of open area all around the sides of the engine allowing most of the cooling air to bypass the engine itself. In warmer weather it could still over heat. I had that problem with my Ryan this summer, until I ducted the air more directly over the engine. Think of a water hose with the nozzle adjusted to a narrow stream as opposed to a broad fan, much more velocity. Looks like a good fit otherwise.
    This is the real task before us: to reassert our commitment as a nation to a law higher than our own.

Ronald Reagan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi RBean,

I emailed MasterAirScrew (Windsor Propeller) about the 16x8x3 and referenced your post about the two versions of the prop and the change in RPM you saw on the DLE-20. I had planed to use that combo on my Hurricane once I get it converted from the Electric set up I'm flying now.

Here's the response I received today. "I will certainly take a look at this. We did do a remodel of the 16" 3 blades because of the torque of the DLE and the change was to beef up the transition area near the hub. The gas engines can have predetenation issues and we wanted to make sure we accounted for that with the design. The tips should definitely have remained the same. I will get back to on this asap."

Thanks for your testing and I will post any update I receive from them as I'd like to not have to hunt for old props

Maybe the new prop just isn't flexing or unloading due to the new beefed up hub area ?

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joespeester,

There is diffenently a difference in the pitch at the tip. I decided to put it back on and sure enough, 6,900 rpm. Took off and put old prop back on, 8,200 rpm and much more thrust. I'll be interested in what he says. This has been a good prop to use on the DLE 20s in warbird. Very little difference in preformance of 2 Blade.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi RBean,

Can you double check the ID #'s on the props your using? Teresa emailed me back and asked to confirm.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll be home later tonight and check the props and post here.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joespeeder, I checked the new prop. It says "3-BLADE" on one blade, "1680T" on another and "4120T" on the other. The old three blade says "1680T" on one blade and "4020T" on another, and no writing on the other blade. The new prop may be fine on a 26cc engine or one with a different power curve, but didn't work for me on the DLE 20.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joespeeder, what Hurricane are you converting to the DLE? Who's, what size?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All I did to make the glass pack was to use some1 inch alim tube as an outer shell, I use 1/4inch alim tube with LOTS of small holes drilled into it. I than wraped the small tube with fiberglass packing from my dirt bike, slid it inside the outer tube, filled both ends in with JBwield. The inner tube stuck out about 1 inch from each end soI could attack my corners. You can get the packing at most Bike shops. It is like 20 bucks and will do 4 or 5 silencers for real bikes. It does not restrict air flow, but it will knock down the high frequency a lot.

Good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl28927.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	1677360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr55036.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	406.1 KB 
ID:	1677361  
    -Eric-

Shinny side up on landing is usually easier to pick up at the end of the runway.