Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

raptureboy - agree with you on gas - regular gas works fine in these engines, plus that's what the manufacturer recommends.

I cannot, however, agree with you on TOM. The reason I and. I'm guessing, some others had a problem with him was not his take on "the truth", but was, instead, his unnecessarily condescending and antagonistic presentation. And I dont' think he was kicked off of this thread - maybe he felt he wasn't welcome.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:02 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I know he left volunterily, and I never really cared for his way of sharing his knowledge either, but he does know what he's talking about. I just didn't wanted the o.p to be prepared
Old 01-06-2012, 12:56 PM
DwightMann

ORIGINAL: Estang

Higher Octane does not give more power. It will slow down the flame and give a more controlled burn. Some engines require the higher Octane, where as other will not bennifit from it. I am running Stihl oil with 91 octain pump guas in mine and it is still clean inside. I use to race Moto-x 2 strokes and ran H1R 2 cycle oil and it would actually clean the carbon off the top end. At $20 a liter it should have come with a new tool kit too

ORIGINAL: woodbender

Hello everyone, and thanks for all the great info.

I'm definately a newbi with gas. Please pardon the question below if it's been covered already.

A club member suggested using white gas Coleman fuel instead of gasoline from the pump. I tried it just for the heck of it and my elderly Zenoah 26 seems to like it just fine. Yes, it's expensive (but less than glow fuel), but my friend says it burns cleaner with less carbon build-up, etc. and offers a higher octane level (more power).

I know just enough to be dangerous. Any thoughts, pro and/or con on running this fuel with my shiny new (and as yet unpackaged) DLE 20?
Most high performance engines / race cars etc have high compression engines. The high compression requires a higher octane fuel. This may be why some associate high octane with more horsepower. Lead was added to fuel to increase the octane, but nothing about the lead will add horsepower.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

ORIGINAL: DwightMann

ORIGINAL: Estang

Higher Octane does not give more power. It will slow down the flame and give a more controlled burn. Some engines require the higher Octane, where as other will not bennifit fromit. I am running Stihl oil with 91 octain pump guas in mine and it is still clean inside. I use to race Moto-x 2 strokes and ran H1R 2 cycle oil and it would actually clean the carbon off the top end. At $20 a liter it should have come with a new tool kit too

ORIGINAL: woodbender

Hello everyone, and thanks for all the great info.

I'm definately a newbi with gas. Please pardon the question below if it's been covered already.

A club member suggested using white gas Coleman fuel instead of gasoline from the pump. I tried it just for the heck of it and my elderly Zenoah 26 seems to like it just fine. Yes, it's expensive (but less than glow fuel), but my friend says it burns cleaner with less carbon build-up, etc. and offers a higher octane level (more power).

I know just enough to be dangerous. Any thoughts, pro and/or conon running this fuel with my shiny new (and as yet unpackaged) DLE 20?
Most high performance engines / race cars etc have high compression engines. The high compression requires a higher octane fuel. This may be why some associate high octane with more horsepower. Lead was added to fuel to increase the octane, but nothing about the lead will add horsepower.
Thats true. faster burning gas leads to knocking. That is why you can't run 87 Octane in a high compression engine, it would detonate before reaching TDC and can cause severe damage to the piston, conecting rods or crank. This is also why running higher octane in an older carboned up engine is needed, the carbon holds heat so the gas would ignite too soon, before the spark occurs. You can run high octane in any engine, but you cant run low octane in any engine. Well you could, but it would run like S***.

Will it give more HP? Only if the engine you run it in is designed and programmed(tuned for the old school crowd) for it. My Ford Flex with Ecoboost has sensors that monitor the gas and can detect if Premium is in there and adjust accordingly. You can feel the difference going from 87 to 93 within a few miles. It wil also detune itself when you go back to 87. It is designed to run on 87 Octane, but is programmed for higher too. It also uses direct injection which eliminates a lot of the causes for pinging, knocking and detonation by mixing the fuel in the air chamber at a precise time, and not in the intake manifold like general induction engines.

The Coleman gas is actually Naptha and not truely a gasoline.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:28 PM
microdon2

DwightMan -

So for my 20, 30, and 50cc gassers there's no effective difference in performance between 93 and 87 octane? (not that the additional cost matters, but it WOULD be easier to fill up my 1.25 gallon RC tank on the same credit card charge as my car fillup...)
Old 01-06-2012, 02:02 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[sm=thumbup.gif]FIller up!
Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Woodbender,

Seems like I've read in this thread or the DLE30 thread that JODI, WHO USED to be at ValleyView RC and posted here frequently, said that using the coleman fuel would void the warrenty. Beilieve it was said to have less octane. Have seen few post where some do use & like it, but seems the majority recommend against it.

T-man49 in Al
Club Saito #723
Old 01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
TimBle

coleman fuel or naptha is low in octane and produces poor power compared to pump gasoline. it is only one blending component of gasoline.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 PM
SU-31 flyer

I just got the DLE tac to go with the DLE 20. I wanted to know if anyone has used them with different ignitions like CH's and if they will work? In my mind with useing the Y extension it should.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 PM
woodbender

Thanks for all the great info including the link to T.O.M's very informative posts regarding Coleman fuel.

Got it. No more Coleman fuel for me. I'm off to the gas pump to fill 'er up.

TOM made reference to a sticky for people like me new to gas engines. Couldn't find it. Could someone post a link please?

Thanks again for patiently clearing up the fuel question for me.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

Yes, I know he left volunterily, and I never really cared for his way of sharing his knowledge either, but he does know what he's talking about. I just didn't wanted the o.p to be prepared
I think he decided to fly that big airplane they bought for him and that was more fun than replying here on good old RCU. I wish him well though, and Jody too. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
REV-IKE
My Feedback: (45)

4 OZ oil to 9/10 of gallon of gas = 128 oz gas =1 gallon 128/10=12.8 oz=9 x 12.8=115.2 oz/4= 28.8 to 1 Gas to Oil Mixture

For CaptinJohn

Revern Ike
Old 01-06-2012, 10:21 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: WindGap

Crud

Got some in my tank plugged up my fuel supply and engine quit. Argh! Where's the best place to insert fuel filter?
i use a felt filter in my gas can pickup, and a felt clunk in my tank... the felt clumnks filter down to 10 microns..... ever since i changed over to felt clunks my carb screens hardly have a speck of crap, compared to when i used the crap trap, inline type filters... http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-...03884980583038

it says up to 80 cc but many , including TOM,Jody,and my brother use them on 150cc class engines
Old 01-07-2012, 03:56 AM
clarencem

Sorry I know this is off topic but I am a little shocked.

Did I miss something? Is Jodi no longer working for Valley View? Heck I buy all of my DLE engines from Valley View because Jodi is there. There are many other places that sell DLE for tha same price and on occasion for less.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:38 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It must have been October 2011 when Jody left Valley View RC?

Valley View R/C is still the same great place it always was.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 AM
microdon2

MettalicaJunkie - Will that Walbro filter fit into the standard 5/8" tank opening? I have ordered some in the past that were too wide - these ads rarely show filter diameter. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 AM
microdon2

I just spoke with the owner of a new and (looks to be) very good site - http://www.mowers4u.com/. They have Walbro carbs, fuel filters, tubing, Walbro carb repair kits, plugs, etc. He told me he's got Tygon tubing - good for Ethanol up to 10% - and Oregon tubing - for Ethanol up to 30% (good to know!).

He also said the Walbro fuel filter # 125-527 has a diameter of just over 1/2" - (the one on that Ebay add is almost 1") - so 125-527 is the one you want for most RC tanks with an opening of 5/8". Plus they're only about5 $2 on his site, or 10 for $14. I'm ordering some today.

Funny - he said he didn't know about the RC market. I suggested that he should advertise on RC Universe ...
Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Walbro fuel filter # 125-527
That one is good, but watch out for the ones with a black (plastic?) base. Far too light for our use.

Another excellent filter/clunk is a.....
Poulan clunk/filter part #530095646

....it's heavy, and sucks a tank to the last drop of fuel!

Both the Poulan & the Walbro filter/clunks are available at your local small engine repair shops.
Look though the many chainsaw's, trimmers, and edgers and you'll find both styles used by various mfg's.

Speaking of Oregon gas fuel lines, take a look at this (important regarding short 8-12 ounce tanks & the DLE20).....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10102179
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2012, 11:14 AM
taildragger56

ORIGINAL: microdon2

I just spoke with the owner of a new and (looks to be) very good site - http://www.mowers4u.com/. They have Walbro carbs, fuel filters, tubing, Walbro carb repair kits, plugs, etc. He told me he's got Tygon tubing - good for Ethanol up to 10% - and Oregon tubing - for Ethanol up to 30% (good to know!).

He also said the Walbro fuel filter # 125-527 has a diameter of just over 1/2" - (the one on that Ebay add is almost 1") - so 125-527 is the one you want for most RC tanks with an opening of 5/8". Plus they're only about5 $2 on his site, or 10 for $14. I'm ordering some today.

I have bought tygon tubing from them in the past on ebay, very good to deal with!!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:32 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: microdon2

MettalicaJunkie - Will that Walbro filter fit into the standard 5/8'' tank opening? I have ordered some in the past that were too wide - these ads rarely show filter diameter. Thanks.

yes it should... ive only fit them in water/soda bottles and a Listerine bottle
Old 01-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

HEy Guys, Can somebody tell the best mount to use for this engine.
Thanks,
Kelly
Old 01-07-2012, 06:06 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Thunderbolt47

Thanks,
Kelly
Try the Dubro web-site....look for the aluminum ones with rubber inserts. It may help to keep viabration out of fuse. Not sure, but I am going to try one. Capt,n
Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM
clarencem

I used a large Dubro mouont that I had for a supertiger 2300. It works well for the Funtana.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:27 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: clarencem

I used a large Dubro mouont that I had for a supertiger 2300. It works well for the Funtana.
I bet that Supertier 2300 made the Fnutana work well ! Capt,n
Old 01-07-2012, 06:45 PM
sandyjain

ORIGINAL: Thunderbolt47

Thanks,
Kelly
Hangar 9 (HANN2033). Use it for all my DLE20s without a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.