Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Old 05-19-2012, 05:37 AM
chandley43231

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

ok guys heres maybe a question already adressed in the past     so if i put my DLE into my tp P-51d hurry honey it will of course have to be put in inverted  woops i jsut called a buddy an found   daaa you cant just rotate the carb 180 degrees  i put my ignition just behind the fire wall  with my lower open slot in front of the wing dows connection getting a rcexl opti kill swtich get pics  soon have the plane on u tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icOo1...feature=relmfu
Old 05-19-2012, 06:45 AM
microdon2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

av8tor \ ahicks - on your posts about reading the plug electrodes, you say you need to run the engine at full throttle for at least a minute and then cut it cold, but can't do that on the ground, or it'll overheat. So we're talking about a planned deadstick?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:06 AM
octanehuffer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes. That is the best way to check a tune. Kill it after WOT. Drag racing, I kill the car after my pass and coast to the return road and pull over to the side and check plugs. With a plane, you will need to deadstick
Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 AM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: microdon2

av8tor \ ahicks - on your posts about reading the plug electrodes, you say you need to run the engine at full throttle for at least a minute and then cut it cold, but can't do that on the ground, or it'll overheat. So we're talking about a planned deadstick?
No, actually the method I'm talking about is more about spotting a trend? You don't have to dead stick/land. Idling for a minute isn't going to change it enough to matter.

I think you need to fly it, and if everything seems right, you can verify that with a plug reading. Trying to adjust a carb on an engine that doesn't seem right in the air using plug readings doesn't usually work well, for me anyway.

I'm not sure I would ever run a setting that might overheat the engine on the ground? I've never had trouble that way?
Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 PM
mach2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: chandley43231

ok guys heres maybe a question already adressed in the past so if i put my DLE into my tp P-51d hurry honey it will of course have to be put in inverted woops i jsut called a buddy an found daaa you cant just rotate the carb 180 degrees i put my ignition just behind the fire wall with my lower open slot in front of the wing dows connection getting a rcexl opti kill swtich get pics soon have the plane on u tubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icOo1...feature=relmfu
Not sure of your question. But if you are asking about rotating the carb upside down, or 180 degrees, then yes, i dont see any reason why you cant. I posted this to another person probably a few pages back. Page 215, post 5372

If you do it right, it should be fine. Pull the two screws out and flip it with the nylon intake. dont rotate the aluminum back plate though. (the aluminum plate on the back of the crankcase, that the nylon intake goes into).

however, running it inverted, this allows you to adjust your H and L needles from the top. I like this on my plane. Maybe you dont want to cut a hole in the top of your cowl.

Jeremy

Old 05-19-2012, 01:37 PM
av8tor1977

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cooling airflow isn't sufficient on the ground for most cowled airplanes for sustained full throttle runs. The aircraft really needs to be moving through the air to have sufficient cooling for sustained full throttle operation. I realize one would think the prop blast would be enough, but in many cases it's not....

AV8TOR
Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 AM
DwightMann

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Cooling airflow isn't sufficient on the ground for most cowled airplanes for sustained full throttle runs. The aircraft really needs to be moving through the air to have sufficient cooling for sustained full throttle operation. I realize one would think the prop blast would be enough, but in many cases it's not....

AV8TOR
Equally important, the load on the engine will change.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM
av8tor1977

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, that's quite true. A good portion of the prop blade is stalled when standing still, causing a higher load on the engine. That's why an engine turns much higher rpms in the air. How much higher depends on the prop pitch and the drag of the airplane.

AV8TOR
Old 05-22-2012, 04:15 AM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Yes, that's quite true. A good portion of the prop blade is stalled when standing still, causing a higher load on the engine. That's why an engine turns much higher rpms in the air. How much higher depends on the prop pitch and the drag of the airplane.

AV8TOR
Some of this seems counter intuitive to me? Maybe you could expand a little please?

"Stalled", to me, should be UN-loading the prop? When you "stall" a wing, it stops producing lift. If the prop blades stop producing lift (because they're stalled), what's left to load the engine? Or have I completely missed your point?

I alway thought the reason an engine turned higher rpms in the air was because air being force fed into the front of the prop - unloading it to a degree compared to having it just sitting there? For instance, this same engine/prop might slow down again when the plane goes vertical (assuming less than 3D power for a moment). This is because the blades are "stalling"?

The earlier comments regarding cooling at WOT on the ground - I agree with you if you're thinking of a fairly tightly cowled (possibly scale) setup. No argument. I was thinking more along the lines of a sport plane. Think Ugly Stick, with a totally exposed engine for instance? I would be scared to run a carb setting that might overheat an "open" engine running WOT on the ground... and many "loosely" cowled installs as well.

And yes, agreed beyond any doubt, ANY tuning done on the ground cannot be assumed to be best possible. That takes some flying....
Just me....
Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 AM
av8tor1977

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any time an airfoil is stalled or nearly so, it is also creating lots of drag. This loads the engine. As the airflow begins to go through the propellor as the airplane accelerates, the blades experience an effective reduction of angle of attack, unstall, and produce less drag. Hence the engine speeds up due to having less load on it. I have seen this on the ground while taching engines too. Point the airplane into the wind, and your tach reading at full throttle will increase. And of course I have experienced it as a pilot of full size airplanes as well. This is why a "constant speed" prop, which is cockpit adjustable, is very effective. You can flatten or lower, the pitch of the prop for takeoff, which makes the prop much more efficient starting from a stop and at low speeds. Then, when in cruise, you increase the pitch, making the prop more effective at that speed. The key is that the airflow through the prop changes the effective angle of attack of the blades.

As far as the cooling angle, I understand your point. But even an uncowled sport airplane engine can get too warm with extended full throttle running on the ground. They need the added airflow from being in flight to be safe at extended full throttle usage. The center area of the prop makes a poor cooling fan.

More on cooling here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11071695/tm.htm

Hope this helps,
AV8TOR
Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cooling problem solved, just use one of these www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200448627_200448627
Old 05-22-2012, 04:02 PM
ahicks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Any time an airfoil is stalled or nearly so, it is also creating lots of drag. This loads the engine. As the airflow begins to go through the propellor as the airplane accelerates, the blades experience an effective reduction of angle of attack, unstall, and produce less drag. Hence the engine speeds up due to having less load on it. I have seen this on the ground while taching engines too. Point the airplane into the wind, and your tach reading at full throttle will increase. And of course I have experienced it as a pilot of full size airplanes as well. This is why a ''constant speed'' prop, which is cockpit adjustable, is very effective. You can flatten or lower, the pitch of the prop for takeoff, which makes the prop much more efficient starting from a stop and at low speeds. Then, when in cruise, you increase the pitch, making the prop more effective at that speed. The key is that the airflow through the prop changes the effective angle of attack of the blades.

As far as the cooling angle, I understand your point. But even an uncowled sport airplane engine can get too warm with extended full throttle running on the ground. They need the added airflow from being in flight to be safe at extended full throttle usage. The center area of the prop makes a poor cooling fan.

Hope this helps,
AV8TOR
Ok, I was thinking "stalled" as in past tense - after it's stalled. I've got what you're saying now. Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Falcon32

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HI Guys
Thinking of changing the ignition on my DLE20 (No4).
It's not so easy to find a replacement here in the UK.
Is this the one I need ? RCEXL Model A-01

Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 02:41 PM
DwightMann

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: ahicks

Quote:

Any time an airfoil is stalled or nearly so, it is also creating lots of drag. This loads the engine. As the airflow begins to go through the propellor as the airplane accelerates, the blades experience an effective reduction of angle of attack, unstall, and produce less drag. Hence the engine speeds up due to having less load on it. I have seen this on the ground while taching engines too. Point the airplane into the wind, and your tach reading at full throttle will increase. And of course I have experienced it as a pilot of full size airplanes as well. This is why a ''constant speed'' prop, which is cockpit adjustable, is very effective. You can flatten or lower, the pitch of the prop for takeoff, which makes the prop much more efficient starting from a stop and at low speeds. Then, when in cruise, you increase the pitch, making the prop more effective at that speed. The key is that the airflow through the prop changes the effective angle of attack of the blades.

Hope this helps,
AV8TOR
Ok, I was thinking ''stalled'' as in past tense - after it's stalled. I've got what you're saying now. Thanks
Compare a spin to a vertical dive. The plane is stalled during a spin and the speed is much slower than durin a dive which is not stalled
Old 06-01-2012, 03:57 AM
WindGap

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How much more power can be gained from updating muffler?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:26 AM
captinjohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Best update...is a Mintor 22cc engine. Nice ! Capt,n
Old 06-01-2012, 09:52 AM
mach2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What is this mintor 22cc you have been mentioning? Are you getting paid for advertisement? haha.

Im gonna look them up. Ive heard about them a couple times now. Im in the market for a 30cc. Im pretty set on the DLE30 since I know its good. But Why not keep the options open....

Jeremy
Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 AM
w8ye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a source

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/min-22.html
Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well after months of sitting in the shop, I finally put the wing on my Deweyville, fired up the engine, which started right up and ran good, and took off.  Once it was in the air, the exhaust sound was more scale like than I had imagined, and at 1/3rd throttle an overhead pass sounded and looked like a real plane. It was awesome.  I do need to downsize the prop though, it pulled the plane well, and it wasn't more power than I had thought it would be when at WOT, but the prop did strike the ground when I landed, and it was a good landing, but since I land on grass, all it takes is a slight bump for the blade to strike, so going to find a 3 blade MAS K to replace the 16X8 MAS K I put on it for my maiden.  Good thing too, the XOAR would have most likely snapped, and that would have been $15 down the drain, especially considering it wasnt for this plane, but the P-51.  Going to give the 15x7x3 a try and see how it does.  Who knows, maybe it will work good and when I finish the Stang, I will make it an A model and run the 3 blade on it.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 AM
DwightMann

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A 15x7x3 may not be enough to load the engine. I had a 16x8x3 on an Aeroworks Extra 260 and was getting 8900 RPM
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First page shows it was tested,

MA K-series 15x6 3-blade[/b] 13.0lbs @ 9100 rpm

Should work on my plane, haven't weighed it, but it is no lightweight.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:16 PM
mach2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How much performance is lost by going to a three or even a four blade prop?

I think putting the scale prop on planes like an Extra or an Edge would look cool. But its so common to see the models with two blade props, it almost makes me forget that the real ones use three blades.....

I know on the full scale planes, three blades are more effecient, so Is that why large scale models sometimes have 3 blades? And what's the effeciency cuttoff?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:08 PM
DwightMann

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WWII planes had high horsepower and needed a lot of prop. Ground clearance was a problem. The Corsair went to a Gull Wing to help with ground clearance. Another issue is that a 9' diameter prop at 2500 rpm will have the tip exceeding the speed of sound. This would cause a lot of stress on the prop and loose efficiency. The multi blade props were used more as a sacrafice than to get more out of the engine, they just made a bigger engine to compensate
Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the Dewey, performance isn't much of a concern   I just need the ground clearance. A 2 blade 15" would definitely overspeed the motor.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:21 PM
kerwin50

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't like the muffler set up on the mintor.
I wish they would change the ign on the dle

Search this Thread