Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 224 of 269 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234 ... LastLast
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 6722

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

So the copper tube is hidden inside and what you have effectively created is a baffle...?? I would imagine different sound levels and performance variations could be achieved by different sizes and number of holes drilled... interesting idea. I may just have to try 2 or 3 different ones to see which one gives a balance of performance versus sound reduction! I like playing with these slightly non-traditional "tuning" methods. Sounds like fun. Gotta go run to the nearest place to get some copper or brass tubing the right size... Hobby store and Hardware store aren't far apart here... guess I'll stop at both! Genius idea of a way to create this baffle [8D]. My compliments.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lifer - sounds like a good idea. And you've tested this and found no reduction is RPM or power? Have you tried different sized holes in the baffle? ( I do like this idea - think I'll try it).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks all for the replies.

I think I will give Lifers suggestion a go, was thinking along the same theme myself, thought I would go to a local golf shop and see if they had any old stepped club shafts that I could use instead of copper tube.

Yes I too like the sound of real engines but you've got to admit the DLE20 is a little over the top, its not me thats bothered just a little concerned about others that live near our flying site.

I have seen the exhaust plugs that are on offer from Valley View, but anything I've imported from the States recently has been hit with very high import duty, value added tax, and handling charges for the privalage of paying the duty/tax, whilst when buying from China it sails through at no additional cost, very strange!.

Cheers

John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys, I highly recommend the J'Tec radiowave inverted muffler. They have a nice sized can on them and a heat treated finish. They are top notch and a little expensive, but they will hold up well and last you a lifetime. They are nice and quiet compared to the stock exhaust, which isnt a muffler its a piece of foil shaped in a tiny rectangle. I have some on my DLE 30 and my 20 and you won't regret buying them. I'm sure no one wants to be a contributor to losing not only your hearing but your flying field to save $80 because the DLE is too cheap to provide one. Kudos to OS for including a good muffler in the new 33!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, different sized holes create differences in sound and there is a small reduction in power, but what the heck! It cost a couple of bucks for the tube and you can make 4 different baffle sets. Have fun!

I have several of the J-Tech mufflers and they work fine, but are louder than the modified factory version we discussed.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Even some of the Pitts mufflers are too loud. Although it has reduced he volume a bit, it is still loud on mine. I like the idea of making a car muffler out of the can with Tubing.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can someone help with a DLE 20 Gremlin this has almost everyone at my field kind of stumped?

Get to the field, choke engine, engine fires. Unchoke engine, engine fires!!! Idle for 30 seconds or so and then open throttle up. run throttle up and down, engine responds just fine.

Now if I happen to get the plane in the air, it will run for maybe 5-8 minutes then uh oh Dead stick landing-happened twice, plenty of fuel left in the 14 ounce tank.

Sometimes, I just pick the plane up after doing all the above keeping it level to place on runway engine dies

Very difficult to get engine to start unless we let everything calm down for maybe 10 minutes or so then we go through the same problem.

I've pulled the gas tank three times now, checked the plumbing, checked the clunk, redid the plumbing-no change.

We pulled the screen on the carb, clean as a whistle.

Bypassed the engine cut off still the same issue.

New spark plug Twice

It's like it either is running out of fuel (but tank is more than half full), or the ignition just stops working after a few minutes. Battery voltage is kept at over 5v and less than 6v. Checked every time.

I'm gonna pull the engine off the plane and remove the carb I just don't know what is going on.

One last thing, I did reverse this carb, 180 degrees before installing. But like I said, the engine has run for as long as 8 minutes before cutting out so I don't think it is the carb position.

Engine bought from VVRC last December.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks-

Larry

Suggest looking at your electrics for a possible short or dry joint.
    β€œIn order to fly, all one must do is simply miss the ground.”

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If using a 5 cell NIMH, switch to a 4 cell 2000mah pack instead. Sounds like the ignition to me too.  When the engine quits, and you cant get it started, is there fuel on the plug? That would be a good indicator of the ignition.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm using a 4 cell Nimh which is 1650

Thought that would be plenty

And yes. The plug is wet

I eliminated the cut off. Gonna look at the switch too

Maybe just a bad ignition?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay guys I need an opinion about what prop I should put on my Topflite 60 corsair arf
    CORSAIR BROTHERHOOD #85

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The hard starting suggests that your LS needle is too lean. If you haven't yet, I would be tempted to start your tuning process over again, right from the start, where the Low and High speed needles are set at 1.5 - 1.75 turns or so? While tuning, instead of trying to get it as lean as possible, suggest you go the other way. Keep it as rich as possible while still running cleanly (rich engines seldom quit).

Assuming it has one, have you tried running it without a cowl?

Best of luck...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That should be enough mah, I prefer higher only because of the lower voltage. The higher the voltage the lower the mah can be to get similar run times.  Have you put a battery checker on it after it quits? I have one from the LHS that loads the pack with 300 mah and reports back capacity.  One other suggestion, and I did this myself, cycle the pack a few times if you have a charger that can do it automatically. It increased the run time of the pack.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yah. I have this 20 on a spacewalker 2 but as usual keep the cowl off for the first couple of tanks

Running rpm is less than 8k at full throttle and slightly less than 2k at idle

Yes it is a bit rich

Is there a way to test the ignition under load?

Battery voltage after it quits is just over 5v so I'm pretty sure the battery is doing the job

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds to me that if it quits in the air and then you need to wait a while before it starts again, it might be overheating.
    In the air the plane will unload so whatever reading you get on the ground it might get leaner in the air.
    I agree with the other member. Take cowl off and set all the needles factory settings. Low Needle 1.1 turn High needle 1.5 turns and go from there.
    Also after one of those dead stick runs, did you look at the plug? The plug color will tell you a lot how you are running your engine.

Good luck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does the engine support rotating the carb 180*?

The port on the block woudl have to be in two places for it to match the carb being rotated, right?

Just wondering...

BIll S>
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood #56
    Goldberg Tiger Club #17
    SIG Brotherhood #69

Ultra Sport Brotherhood #135
    http://radiocontrolhobbies.freeservers.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Everyone I certainly appreciate the advice and ideas and I know it is kinda tough to troubleshoot without being here

Let me say a little more

The guys at the field know quite a bit about dle engines but as always can learn more

The cowl has never been on the plane other then on the workbench to make the cuts. The guys at the field won't let me fly with cowl until at least two tanks thru the engine. The screw settings on the low side were changed and then changed back the high side was checked and never moved So I don't think overheating is the issue but Can't rule it out.

I have been told that the carb can be rotated by folks on this forum and I dont know but suspect the engine wouldn't even run if the carb wasn't doing its job. At least partially. Of course. Who knows for sure

The engine runs fine for the time it does and then it just cuts out. Just like I threw the cut out switch
    Its like No fuel. Or no ignition

I think I have eliminated fuel draw out of the tank

Wondering if the carb is messed up somehow or the ignition is quoting after working a while

Just want to thank everyone for chipping in and trying to help

All comments are appreciated

Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: phakur

The screw settings on the low side were changed and then changed back the high side was checked and never moved So I don't think overheating is the issue but Can't rule it out.

Larry
    Larry, has anyone really adjusted this carb (adjust HS for max rpm, then set LS for good transition), or are you/they trying to run it on the factory settings? -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah. We opened the low a bit to make sure we could get fuel into the engine. It being new. Didn't go much in the high side other then checking rpm. I think we gave it less then a quarter turn. The engine runs great for the several minutes in runs. No hesitation no stuttering. Up until the second it just quits Moved everything back to factory setting in an attempt to clear the problem

I'm using lawn boy oil mix so we are seeing a small amount of deposit out the exhaust as you would expect

It's just kind of wacky

I'm pulling the engine and will have the guys at the field take a look at the carb this weekend but still don't know how to eliminate the ignition as a possibility

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a similar symptom caused by a loose wire in the battery connector. I finally noticed the " hot ignition" led was not lit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As far as the question on the Corsair prop issue is concerned, you might try a 3 bladed 16x8 or 15x7 from Master Airscrew. I use both.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My DLE 20 runs greatbut-it takes about 10 to 20 seconds to slow to low idle after running at a higher rpmwhen it does come down to low idle it is fine-transition to full throttlr is fine-runs great except for this quirk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The low speed needle valve is set too lean
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plus 1 on w8ye's comment.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM