Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 230 of 270 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240 ... LastLast
Results 5,726 to 5,750 of 6729

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Hey guys i would like to share my futur DLE20 future build. this is an Epic LT 120 from Nitro planes it seems that it is a great frame for the DLE20 plus it lands really slow. one of the main things that drew me to this plane was the fact that you can really put alot of scale details on the plane. The plane aready comes with fitted lights plus you can setup a really good scale retract setup. and using a pits muffler i wouldnt be butchering the cowling.

there are some vids on youtube of this plane with a DLE20 on it. go check it out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm having trouble fitting my DLE 20 in the cowling with that big muffler. Is there a smaller muffler or header out there for an alternative to cutting out a big hole? It's on a Top Flight P-40 kit, my first build. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can find a PITTS style, muffler. I have one on my 4*120 that fits better then the stock one.

http://www.milehighrc.com/muffler.html

SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just ordered my PITTS muffler from mile high. Thanks acdii

Anyone have a suggestion on what battery I should use on my DLE 20?   Should I have a seperate battery for the radio? I have a NIMH 4.8V 4200 Flat RX U Sub C. I was hoping that would be enough to supply all the power I need for my P-40s radio and engine.  I have no idea how much or little I need or have.

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use a 2000 mah 4 cell for my DLE20, and an 1800 mah 5 cell for the rx driving 5 servos.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I run 1100 mah Life packs on my DLE 20 equipped planes. One for ignition, and one for the radio. Last year I charted battery use flying warbird style, and the use was about 10 mah per minute for both radio and ignition. Using a large battery doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless you need the weight to balance. Most flights are 10 minutes or less, and I use field chargers exclusively.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fortyeight - most people use 6 volt batteries to drive the servos, to get the higher torque. Most EI's are good with 4.8.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With my smaller gas engine I do as a lot of other contributors have mentioned and that is run one battery with an ultra ubec to the ignition. Battery of choice is a A123, which gives the extra power for the servos. I have the 2300mah battery and this will last a good hour of general flying on my quarter scale cub (no aerobatics).
    Glenn
    β€œIn order to fly, all one must do is simply miss the ground.”

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fired mine up for the first time today.....after a short 5-minute break, let it cool down and retighten ALL the engine/mounting bolts . Second engine run it topped out at 9850 (T/F 16/6 wood) but took a month of sundays to slow down to 2200 for 'idle'. Will extend the servo arm to push that carb closed a bit more as the TX adjustments didn't do it!

Engine started up right away once it coughed when the choke was on......I think I will LIKE this engine
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Fortyeight

I just ordered my PITTS muffler from mile high. Thanks acdii

Anyone have a suggestion on whatΒ*battery I shouldΒ*use onΒ*my DLE 20? Β* Should I have a seperate battery for the radio? I have a NIMH 4.8V 4200 Flat RX U Sub C. I was hoping that would be enough to supply all the power I need for my P-40s radio and engine.Β* I have no idea how much or little I need or have.

Scott
    That sub C should have plenty of power, unless you're running retracts? Then I might be concerned. Watched a guy running a single battery setup ditch a Jug when an electric retract hung up as he went to extend them not too long ago.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is it necessary to run a kill switch such as an optical type that can be controlled from the transmitter on 20cc engines? Our glow counterpart doesn't have anything more than carb control on the tx.

Thanks,

Ernie Misner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have one on mine and when the engine decided to 'come lose', that optical switch (configured to the retract switch) sure came in handy in a hurry!
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You would be absolutely crazy not to have a remote shut off for the engine. Your choice if you use an optical kill switch or an Ultra Ubec, both are connected to your receiver.
    Handy unit for when coming back into the pitts and you want to shut the motor off at the line. Or if you at any time wish to stop the motor.
    β€œIn order to fly, all one must do is simply miss the ground.”

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Is it necessary to run a kill switch such as an optical type that can be controlled from the transmitter on 20cc engines? Our glow counterpart doesn't have anything more than carb control on the tx.

Thanks,

Ernie Misner
    For what they cost any more (starting at less than 20 bucks) I think they should be part of anyone's plans. Ignoring the convenience of having an ignition switch on your transmitter for a second, there's a huge safety factor added by the fact the opti switches will not supply power to the ignition module unless it's getting a signal from the receiver telling it to. That means if you turn your transmitter off and forget to turn off the flight pack, there's no chance of the engine firing while messing with the prop. Same thing if the receiver looses signal, or even goes into brownout! It's a built in failsafe - that's not even available on glow power.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just to stir the pot - In the 12 years I've been flying glow not one time have I not been able to turn off my engines just by using the throttle. I do not see the need for a 20 cc engine - just my opinion.
    John
    Have desk ... Will Fly.... Saito Member #467
    Ultimate Brotherhood #11, Ultra Sport Brotherhood #90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those optical switches come in handy when your giant scale's throttle servo goes bad, or the connector falls off....and you have 3/4th tank of fuel yet to burn Don't ask how I know that

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Second that. I've had a throttle linkage fail and had to fly around - at altitude and WOT - for 15 mins till the engine cut out. Not fun. Especially important when you consider the size of many of these gassers - they could do a LOT of damage if they crash into anything but the landing strip.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JNorton

Just to stir the pot - In the 12 years I've been flying glow not one time have I not been able to turn off my engines just by using the throttle. I do not see the need for a 20 cc engine - just my opinion.
    John
    I can shut mine down with the throttle as well - after a fashion. It sometimes will take it's darn sweet time? Also, while messing with a glow engine in the pits, how often would you imagine one might fire accidentally vs. a gasser with a hot ignition?

How many times have you seen a running glow powered plane set on the ground with the receiver still turned off? Stupid, but it does happen...

I fail to see the difference 20cc vs. any other size.

To each their own though.
    -Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The ignition is only hot if you turn it on. With a 20 cc I want to keep weight to a minumum. As always do what you will, I'm not trying to start a war. Only what I'll do. Peace.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I routinely fly 120 4 strokes 16" props without optical switches. If you talk about 50 CC motors and 22" props - big difference and those will have an optical switch. For me that's the difference.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's crazy not to have a method of killing the ignition on a gas engine. On glow, without connecting the glow plug, the engine wont run, but if you happen to leave the ignition on the gas engine, and move the prop to adjust something, there is a good chance of the engine firing off, (don't ask how I know this).  A $15 opto kill is a whole lot less expensive than running to a hospital to sew up your hand, a prop can slice you open, no matter how small the blades are!   Just plain good insurance to have one, than to not have one.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a throttle servo fail at 1/2 throttle. Long flight!
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm looking at the one Mile High sells, any opinions? I was originally going with mechanical until reading all this.

Optic Kill Switch - Newest Version

No More Choke Servo. The optic kill switch allows you to remotely kill your electronic ignition equipped engine from your transmitter. Ignition system is Optically Coupled to isolate your ignition system from your radio system (No Interference!!) Plugs into a spare receiver channel. A must for safety. In some instances a remote kill switch is AMA required. Download the Instructions Here

- Remote LED Indicator to indicate when armed

- Optically coupled input/output

- Up to 20V 16 Amp MOS-FET (IRF7465) output.

- .3 oz. (8g)

- Polarity Protected

- V2 Newest version from RCEXL

Optic Kill Switch - $16.99

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Fortyeight

I'm looking at the one Mile High sells, any opinions? I was originally going with mechanical until reading all this.

Optic Kill Switch - Newest Version

[img][/img]No More Choke Servo. The optic kill switch allows you to remotely kill your electronic ignition equipped engine from your transmitter. Ignition system is Optically Coupled to isolate your ignition system from your radio system (No Interference!!) Plugs into a spare receiver channel. A must for safety. In some instances a remote kill switch is AMA required. Download the Instructions Here

- Remote LED Indicator to indicate when armed

- Optically coupled input/output

- Up to 20V 16 Amp MOS-FET (IRF7465) output.

- .3 oz. (8g)

- Polarity Protected

- V2 Newest version from RCEXL

Optic Kill Switch - $16.99

I have that same throttle kill in 2 different planes ( dle-20 and dle-35 ) and have had no problems
    Thanks Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Opti Kill Switch

I have 2 and they work fine. The LED is a bonus , if LED on ignition is on.

BC