Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:59 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

ORIGINAL: skillet92

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

ORIGINAL: NM2K

I wasn't worried about current consumption. I'm worried about RFI from the ignition system getting back into the receiver via the shared circuitry. Folks tend to over estimate 2.4 GHz rigs ability to reject RFI, IMHO.

Ed Cregger
Well whatever you do....dont go over to the Florida Huckfest this weekend.....there are about 40 of the planes from 30 to 42 percent size flying this setup.....no issues...
Not to contradict or anything but I have seen two 2.4 setups that went down due to interference. Both were gas. After the crash's the receivers still functioned. Any system is subject to interference. That being said they are still better than the old PCM systems that we all used to and still do use. And a gas engine is even more so prone to the problems. IMHO!
By using the optio isolated chip you are in fact isolating any signal noise....have run them both ways with 100 percent success.

Maybe there is a right way and a WrongWay.......
Richard if you are connecting both of those plugs into the receiver you no longer have opto isolation. It may work but the opto isolation is lost once both the IN and RECEIVER plugs are together on the receiver power bus. RCEXL shows a BEC in their instructions to use a shared battery.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99658.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1508417  
Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 AM
guinnb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have my new Syssa 30cc running well as well as my new DLE 20cc and am ready to switch over from the non-Synthetic break in oil to all Synthetic. Problem I have is at what ratios. The Syssa says from 50-85:1(amsoil) is acceptable while the DLE 20 says 30:1. I have Amsoil (100:1, really is 85:1), some Avenger (60:1), and each have their own recommended mix ratios. I know that, in general, it takes less Synthetic oil than petroleum based oil but how am I to determine what I should use. The Syssa is easier since it has a history and a range for Synthetic oil content.

The DLE 20cc just states 30:1. What do I use in it? Will running 30 or 32:1 all Synthetic be a problem and cause excessive carbon build up? Do I follow the oil manufacturers recommendations or the engine manufacturers (warranty implications)? Is there a problem with certain Synthetic oils when run at heavier ratios? Btw, why does the DLE 20cc need higher oil content? Different bearing types?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:10 AM
RP80

cool thanks!  Has anyone tached an 18x6 on it yet?  I searched the thread but didn't find info on it

Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Recapping the bits & pieces of info on this new engine, here's the
DLE 20cc gas engine details (misc updated info added).......

[Basic info]

Advertised weight: 29.2 oz with ign. and muffler
Prop range: 16 X 8 to 18 X 6
Rear Carb
Beam style mount
DLE20cc mfg stated - compression ratio 10.5:1
Tower Hobbies - compression ratio 7.6:1

[Dimensions]:

Motor mount bolt spacing is 1", case width is 1-7/8"

Distance from firewall to prop washer is 5-11/16"

From the center of the rear mounting hole to the edge of the open choke valve is 2-5/16"

Distance from propeller hub to the front of the cylinder: 42 mm

Width of cylinder at exhaust port: 56 mm

Distance from the center line to the top of spark plug cap: 120 mm
(with spark plug cap fully inserted).

Prop shaft size : M8 x1.0 mm (w/two nuts)

[Ignition info]

Stock sparkplug is a made in China CM-6 type (DLE 3)
Valley View R/C will include true NGK/CM-6
Electronic auto advance ignition
Ignition is a new model (#3- or- #4) and special designed for this engine.
DLE recommended voltage range 4.8-6.0 volts

[Prop Data]:

APC Sport 16x7 9000 RPM 14lbs. 7oz.
JXF Beech 16x8 8300 13lbs. 10oz.
JXF Beech 17x7 7970 13lbs. 12oz.
SY 16x8 8500 13lbs. 5oz.
SY 17x8N 8200 14lbs. 9oz.

Vess 17x6 14lb. 8oz. - Great throttle response and crappy tach showed 8549RPM
Vess 17x8 14lb. 0oz. - Great throttle response only slightly less RPM than 17x6
Vess 18x6 14lb. 3oz. - Above average throttle response, may be perfect when fully broken in
Vess 16x8 13lb. 9oz. RPM through the roof (by ear) and instant throttle response spools up like an electric motor!

Zinger 16x8 - stinks, no power, way low on thrust
APC 17x4W 3D prop - decent but the idle transition was terrible, 9700 rpm!
Xoar 16x8 - Good prop but not as much thrust on the high end as the next one...
Xoar 17x6 - Hands down the best prop so far. Great punch out of hover, great top end, improved low end but more to come on this....

[VIDEO's];

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCHXY6_w6RY]Jody Haack - test flight video......[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRdtZxxQP0]Test run of DLE20cc......[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBwqL9AIJ1U]First bench run (mpascualslp).......[/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkwr_jc9HVA]and the engine response after 1 hour (mpascualslp)......[/link]

[Photos]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10021126]DLE20cc engine dissasembled photos......[/link]

[Muffler]

Stock muffler dimensions;

2.260" tall @ end caps - 3.800" incl exh pipe
1.100" thick out from exh port of eng
2.050" wide @ end caps

Pitts style muffler (optional);

[link=http://www.jtecrc.com/dlengineswraparound.htm]Jtec wrap around muffler.......[/link]

[Interesting comments]:

same mount size as OS 1.20

a 20cc is a drop in replacement for .90 to 1.20 size four stroke

more power than a CRRC Pro 26 or a Saito 1.25 (Saito FG-20/gasser)

20cc = 1.20 c.i.
30cc = 1.80 c.i.

[Warranty]

Valley View R/C; 1 year
Tower Hobbies; 2 years

[Ordering info....]

[link=http://www.valleyviewrc.com/DLE-20cc%20Gas%20Engine.htm]Valley View RC.....[/link]

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAEPW&P=ML]DLE20cc @ Tower Hobbies.......[/link]

[link=http://www.sdshobby.net/dle20-20cc-gas-engine-new-in-box_p1822.html]DLE20cc @ SDSHOBBY.NET......[/link]
NOTE: Warranty issues from this last vendor are YOUR matter!!!

[Owners manual]

[link={akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/22988/Ig11581.pdf]DLE20cc manual.....[/link]

Old 09-29-2010, 11:19 AM
bells33
My Feedback: (19)

Here is a video of my new DLE-20 on my new Aero-works Extra 300. (no flight, just running so far)

I have a Zinger 16x6 on here for initial runs (because I had one around). Sounds great so far. I'll have her flying soon.
The power that i can feel is awesome... and Jody says the Zinger stinks so I can't wait to see with a "real" prop on there.

Any questions or advice... please feel free to comment. Hope you enjoy the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47RGES3Gzlk
Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 PM
MAKdaddy
My Feedback: (5)

No doubt these small gassers are the future for those of us in the hobby that still like making noise, but despite what a previous poster suggested, DA can't possibly compete with these engine manufacturers, unless they're willing to pay their staff $2 a day, and their staff is willing to accept it. Don't forget that DA, 3W, etc. also have the initial engineering costs of development to cover as well, whereas the Chinese reverse engineered an existing product (3W, from what I can tell) & scaled it up and down as appropiate with their typical disregard for copyright law & patent rights. If something fails and injures somebody, like a prob hub for example as shown on another thread here with a different manufacturer, what legal recourse would you have?

They may be cheap, light, powerful, and last a reasonable amount of time, but I seriously doubt the long term quality is there. You're talking about a manufacturing system that can't make dog food or toothepaste correctly. 3W & DA may very well be driven out of business, and where are you going to find a quality engine when you're ready for one?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: MAKdaddy

No doubt these small gassers are the future for those of us in the hobby that still like making noise, but despite what a previous poster suggested, DA can't possibly compete with these engine manufacturers, unless they're willing to pay their staff $2 a day, and their staff is willing to accept it. Don't forget that DA, 3W, etc. also have the initial engineering costs of development to cover as well, whereas the Chinese reverse engineered an existing product (3W, from what I can tell) & scaled it up and down as appropiate with their typical disregard for copyright law & patent rights. If something fails and injures somebody, like a prob hub for example as shown on another thread here with a different manufacturer, what legal recourse would you have?

They may be cheap, light, powerful, and last a reasonable amount of time, but I seriously doubt the long term quality is there. You're talking about a manufacturing system that can't make dog food or toothepaste correctly. 3W & DA may very well be driven out of business, and where are you going to find a quality engine when you're ready for one?

How bad of quality are the current DLE55 and 111s? I'm new to gas so just curious.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:01 PM
gamalierlozada
My Feedback: (11)

I have a Top Flite Gold Edition P-47 Thunderbolt and I just ordered this engine. Also a Pitts muffler from Jtec Radiowave and i was wondering since is kind of too powerful for it should I use a 4 blade prop to tame the power plus achieve the scale looks. Also what size of 4 blade prop would be good if I can use it? Thanks!!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:08 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: gamalierlozada

I have a Top Flite Gold Edition P-47 Thunderbolt and I just ordered this engine. Also a Pitts muffler from Jtec Radiowave and i was wondering since is kind of too powerful for it should I use a 4 blade prop to tame the power plus achieve the scale looks. Also what size of 4 blade prop would be good if I can use it? Thanks!!
I've often wondered what size motor you would need to spin an APC 15.5x12. It's a pattern prop and probably too much for the 20cc but the blades look a little thin.

Looks like there are some other options for APC from Central Hobbies as well. That 14.5x11 or 14.5x12 looks interesting.

Check out Zinger's selection.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:13 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

There will always be someone out there that will sell to the fringe element of the hobby. Let's face it, that is what you are talking about when you refer to the folks in the hobby that buy/fly the expensive gas engines from Desert Aircraft/3W/etc.

Current Chinese engines are better suited to folks such as myself. I'm not interested enough to buy a top of the line gas engine. I used to buy high bucks engines, back when I bought Brison, BME & RCS engines, but where are those companies now? Spending $450 on a 44 & 50cc BME engine got me exactly what? Yes, terrific engines, but what about parts support and warranty?

Nope, I'll stick with the el cheapo engines that perform according to specs. That I can be happy with.

Were I younger and if I had aspirations to make a name for myself in the hobby as a pro or semi-pro model pilot, then I might have a justifiable reason to pursue DA & 3W engines. But, like most modelers these days, I am not and I do not. Bring on the Chinese engines. I'm waiting for my DLE 20cc engine to arrive.

Tap - tap - tap! Where is that UPS truck? <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 09-29-2010, 01:18 PM
bells33
My Feedback: (19)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47RGES3Gzlk
Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 PM
clivemc

ORIGINAL: jedijody

I can back up Richard on his success of the shared battery system without the use of an IBE. I too have been doing this for close to two years withjust an optically isolated kill switch and voltage regulation. All my 50cc and smaller planes useone 2300-2600 mah LiFebattery andone switch, I can fly at leastfive 12 minute flights and still have about 50% battery reserve. I've used this method on FM PPM, FMPCM, and 2.4 Ghz systems with out a single failure and it allows forone manual andthree remotemethods of shutting down the engine.

1) Switch on plane shuts off everything, Rx and ignition
2) Gear switch on Tx shuts off ignition
3) Programed throttle kill
4) Turn off Tx shuts off ignition

We've used much more sensitive systems to RFI with a much higherRFI floorin the old days of unshielded spark ignition gas engines with very few problems. Common sense and proven methodology stillneeds to be practiced but it's saferthan it's ever been with todays technology.
ditto for me,opto cut off on ignition and one LiFe Rx battery pack only difference is i still like to run two leads from itthrough 2 switches and into 2 ports on the rx, justmy failsafe in case of poor connection somewhere. Not worth risking being without it on bigger planes.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:08 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

My 100cc and larger planes all use the same set up but with two batteries, two swtches and an isolator.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM
gibatta
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Bells 33, nice video, thank for posting.

Could you please tell where are you getting the Pitts muffler for the DL 20?. Please advise. Thank you
Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
gamalierlozada
My Feedback: (11)

Jtec Radiowave has it on their website.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:59 PM
airborne2.4

Here ya go http://www.jtecrc.com/wraparoundpittsstylemufflers.htm
Old 09-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Sessholvlaru

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: MAKdaddy

How bad of quality are the current DLE55 and 111s? I'm new to gas so just curious.

I have two DLE 55's and a DLE 30. Quality is excellent on all of them. Both 55's are in 3D planes have approximately 50 flights on them and both run better and better. The DLE 30 (in a warbird) is relatively new so I cannot speak to longevity with that one yet. Honestly, I have had zero issues with these motors and will buy more in a heartbeat. In fact I need two DLE 20's for a KMP Skymaster!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:16 PM
RP80

Do you think the 20cc would 3d a 10lb plane well?  I just got the MX2 from Redwing rc, and my friends is 10lbs 2oz with everything (spinner etc, and 2 heavy batteries).  If I went with this engine it would take another 10oz off, so it would be down to about 9.5lbs.

So really, do you think this engine would pull around a 9.5lb AUW plane well?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:30 PM
victorzamora

I don't think so.  The Redwing is designed around a 30cc engine, specifically the DLE30.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:35 PM
guinnb
My Feedback: (2)

To be honest...NO. It would be sluggish out of hover. Go with a 30cc. I'm flying a 71" 10lb profile now with a Syssa 30cc motor and the power is just about right. Now the DLE 20cc does well in 3D planes weighing 7lbs or less. The EE60 is just under 7lbs (could be lightened) and the power is great...just about perfect in fact. Now this might be different if someone pipes the DLE and gets another couple pounds of thrust.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:00 PM
MR.RUSS
My Feedback: (54)

I have 1 coming in the mail ,man I bought it from said the 30th or the first 1st
I will be mounting it in Kondors new ARF The L-4 Grasshopper ,I will let you know
how things trun out. OH Yea I paided $ 249.99
The L-4 is made for a 20CC so it should hook up good
Russ
Old 09-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with ED on this one, I am sport flyer on a limited budget and if DA and 3W were the only choices for gas I would still be flying glows.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:21 PM
terryscustom

ORIGINAL: RP80
Do you think the 20cc would 3d a 10lb plane well? I just got the MX2 from Redwing rc, and my friends is 10lbs 2oz with everything (spinner etc, and 2 heavy batteries). If I went with this engine it would take another 10oz off, so it would be down to about 9.5lbs.

So really, do you think this engine would pull around a 9.5lb AUW plane well?
Go with the 30cc for this one. My CAP weighs 10lb 11oz. It flies great, and flies fast, vertical is good. However, for 3D it is not enough for this weight. I finally got the airframe dialed in enough to get a goodhover yesterday. Going full throttle from the hoverit pulls out but takes quite a while to get going up and out of the hover. This is just a fun sport plane for me, sono big deal for me on this one. For good 3D you want 1.75:1 or more power to weight so about 9lb. max. since the 20is pulling upper 13's and lower 14lb's. The 30cc in your MX2 will make the plane tons of fun with no questions. Both of my 30's are pulling just less than 19lb. of thrust with Vess 19A's. Want to try a 19B if Vess ever gets them back in stock!!!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

I am pulling off the RCGF 20cc and installing the DLE20. The RCGF ran, but was kinda weak. Here are a couple of pics back to back. Check out the exhaust and transfer port size differences.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Another DLE20cc engine video......

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRdtZxxQP0]DLE20cc test run after setting mix screws, and setting up a throttle curve......[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.