Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

I like the 17x6 props best also.
Just need to decide which I like best...Vess, Zoar, or APC.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:48 PM
a1pcfixer

Was it the dealer (aka 'owner') who stated that to you, or their service dept?

If it was the service dept, then contact the dealer/owner and explain what went on.

Sometimes it just needs escalated to the proper person, but stay calm about it!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:35 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

It was the service person. The "owner" hung up on me when I called and was irrate. I insisted they send me a new motor and I would send original back. I ended up having to purchase another ignition to try to speed up diagnosis. I asked for it to be shipped 2nd day, "they" thought it was too expensive and without asking me just sent it 3rd day. The ignition was not the problem but the magnet was installed incorrectly in the hub. When I asked for a new motor now, they said I had to send it back. When I asked why we couldn't just do an exchange, this is when I was told us RCers had ruined it for dealers that they could not trust that I would send original back. They had my credit card information. If I didn't send motor back just charge me. At this point the owner would not take any of my phone calls - the down side to caller id. I sent motor FedEx on Sat. and it was recieved by service person on Monday. He fixed it in 5 minutes but instead of sending it back FedEx the same day, he waited and sent it USPS express and did not use my entire address. So the bottom line is it took me 3 weeks from the time I placed my order to now to get the motor back in my plane and flying. I love the DL20. It has a ton of power, idles reliably and is a bargain for any comparible glow motor. I can't wait for DL to come out with a 10cc. I have been flying over 12 years, I have 20+ planes, 3 helis and several cars. You could say I am addicted to this hobby. I have small and large planes, glow and gas, single cylinders and twins...I am a good customer but I expect a good product and even more I demand good service. Remember, THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT! I have been in business for over 50 years, my dad always taught me the "quality and service" will keep my business strong. He was right. I never question price or shipping costs, I just expect things to be right.....This dealer and service person are probably very nice people...I did not have a good experience with them. Bottom line is the DL20 is a great motor.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:15 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am wondering if the magnet was installed wrong...and if the polarity was reversed...it seems like flipping the pick-up over would fix that problem. Not sure on that....Capt,n
Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The magnet was not installed wrong, had it merely been installed upside down the problem would have been extremely fast and easy to remedy by just pulling the sensor out of it's housing, flipping it over, and re-installing it. The problem was that the magnet had no strength at all, wouldn't even hold a #11 exacto knife blade.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Thanks for the update. Thought it might have been something real easy.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 AM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: jedijody

The problem was that the magnet had no strength at all, wouldn't even hold a #11 exacto knife blade.
Makes ya wonder how any QC might find those, when they all stick together.

Btw; How much is the rcexl ignition Mini tachometerv1.0?
I didn't see it listed at VVRC.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:48 AM
dutchy50

G`Day
Can someone please tell me what propeller should I use to run in the DLE20cc, I was thinking of using 17x8 ASP. Is this the right size to use?
What are people using once the motor is run in?
Am using this motor in a 60 size P-51!
Thanks!!!
dutchy50
Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 AM
jedijody

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Makes ya wonder how any QC might find those, when they all stick together.

Btw; How much is the rcexl ignition Mini tachometerv1.0?
I didn't see it listed at VVRC.
They're $19.95, the new site is still a work in progress but coming along nicely. Call me to orderone.

Dutchy, the 17x8 is fine, anything from 15x8 to18x6, use whateverworks the best for the application, no need for a small break-in prop.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:06 AM
dutchy50

Thanks for your reply!!!
dutchy50
Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 AM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: R/C Foolish

...my dad always taught me the ''quality and service'' will keep my business strong. He was right. ... Bottom line is the DL20 is a great motor.
I completely agree with that statement. That's why I have been following this thread and waiting for this type of feedback before I purchase a DLE-20. I am now sure I will not source it from the same place you did.

Pedro
Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 AM
FlymoreRC

Anybody have comments on putting the DLE20cc into a SIG 4-Star 60 plane?

I have concerns about the engine width and having to cut away the nose pieces on the front end.

Thanks.....
Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM
R/C Foolish

I did not and will not post who I bought the motor from. If you are curious you can PM me.

R/C Foolish
Old 11-01-2010, 12:43 PM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

You asked, so I'll tell you. I don't see anything wrong with those business practices. I would have just sent it back to him and let him fix it, done deal.

Aaron D.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:08 PM
jedijody

There is a ton of information he is not disclosing and his memory of who he talked to and who said what isvery inaccuratebecause he tried playing two people against each other, I understand how that could get confusing. The problem was extremely simple and onceproper protocol was followed it was rectified in very short order.Had I been allowed to help him the sameway I do countless others, the enginewould've beenin the air a full week earlier.

I'm not afraid of this situation in the least and I won't solicit or respond to PMs about the subject just to talk behind someones back. I have the truth and proof of it, keep it up and I'll post it all.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:27 PM
guinnb

ORIGINAL: R/C Foolish

I have a question to all RCers out there. If you bought a brand new motor from a dealer, installed the motor and then had a problem getting the motor to run, would you a) want a swap made and get a new motor b) try to trouble shoot (assuming you know what you are talking about) or c) just send the motor back and wait for the dealer to fix? Do you think it would be relevant for the dealer to ask you ''don't you have anything else to fly''? Would you get upset about any of the above? Remember, the 1st rule of business is that the ''customer is always right'' and you shouldn't be told that us RCers have caused the dealers to mistrust us.

I had a recent bad experience with a particular dealer with a DL20. I have my motor now, it runs great. I will not mention this dealers name but just want to get some feedback. I am sure the dealer will have a much different story but he should remember ''the customer is always right''

"The customers always right"...what a bunch of hooey. It's a old mantra that was thrown around when people actually treated others with respect and honor. Now the phrase is used to give an open license for people to act in a pushy, degrading, and lording manner to others just because they are the "customer". Ever been out to eat with someone who thinks they can belittle the person serving them? I have been in such company and won't ever again by choice. People are equal and should be treated as equals. What should be the proper attitude is "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". The +1 rule in business (and life)....Treat people fairly, honestly, and kindly and expect the same in return. You may not get treated in return the same way but that's the other persons problem at that point.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM
R/C Foolish

Bottom line on this thread is that the DL20 is a great motor and will really change the way people power their planes. $3 a gallon vs. $25+ a gallon is a simple choice. Who you buy your RC gear from is up to each person. I learned a lesson and will move on from it.

Have fun flying.....
Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

You have the $/gallon, but it uses a lot less quantity of fuel as well, so factor that in as well.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:27 PM
jcvt

Great numbers but..

Is there any aerobatic airplane kit in the market for this engine?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:37 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=406

Sure, how about this Extra from Aeroworks, and it has a DLE-20 installation kit as well for $12.95!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 PM
jcvt

This is an ARF airplane and I am looking for Airplane Kits.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 PM
R/C Foolish

The 60 size Extra300S from Great Planes or the Ultra Sport 60 Kit. You should be able to order from Tower. I am sure there are others.

R/C Foolish
Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 PM
rotccapt

any 60 to 90 size should be fine as long as the motor fits and it will balance
Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
jcvt

I am kind skeptical about GP extra 300, I believe that it would not be a good match , same for US. Both airplanes benefit from a light motors.

Came to my mind Goldberg extra 300 or Su 26, but they are dead…

Maybe there is a window of opportunity for those planes and reborn again!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 PM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: jcvt

I am kind skeptical about GP extra 300, I believe that it would not be a good match , same for US. Both airplanes benefit from a light motors.

Came to my mind Goldberg extra 300 or Su 26, but they are dead…

Maybe there is a window of opportunity for those planes and reborn again!!!
I was just talking about this subject in another thread "Where have all the kits gone?":

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81...m.htm#10109352

I have also looked at the GP Extra 300 but I wanted to find a plane with a 2 piece wing (for transportation reasons) and the GP Extra 300 kit does not have a two piece wing.

Long story short, I did find one kit that is compelling: http://www.dldesigns.net/smaledge.htm

I emailed this company today and I'm waiting to hear back from them. They have a 60" wingspan Edge 540 kit that I think would be a great match for the DLE-20.

I've done a lot of searching over the last month and found that there are not many kits available in this size. (:<)

I also found that dldesigns.net has an 80" wingspan version of the Edge 540 kit that would seem to be a good match for the DLE-30...maybe next year!

-Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.