Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 AM
gade600sdi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

This is not a DLE 20 problem, but a geometry problem. Use a long arm on your carb and a small one on your servo. Set your travel to 100% on high and low and adjust the angle and the lenght of the pushrod. Lastly , you need a throttle curve. If your radio doesnt have it, get a radio that has mixing and throttle curve in the menu, so you can fine tune your resolution and travel to your liking.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:42 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

•Click image, use arrow keys on keyboard or use controls under image to navigate photos
•Attached files only are shown in slideshow. Inline images from remotely hosted sites are not shown

There is a copy of throttle geometry - clik on "Gallery" at the top of page . see below

Image 57 of 565
Image from post #10038571
Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just using reverse expo on a cheap radio should help. Yes, you definitely want to follow the throttle setup instructions on the gas engine thread near the top of the forum.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:45 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Linkage diagrams:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htm

go to post #22, down near the bottom of the first page
Old 11-02-2012, 06:28 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

If your radio has a throttle curve function or even just expo, set the linkage up as you would for a glow motor, then flatten the curve on the bottom end. Walbros are about as proportional on the bottom end as a toggle switch would be.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:55 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

This is not a DLE 20 problem, but a geometry problem. Use a long arm on your carb and a small one on your servo. Set your travel to 100% on high and low and adjust the angle and the lenght of the pushrod. Lastly , you need a throttle curve. If your radio doesnt have it, get a radio that has mixing and throttle curve in the menu, so you can fine tune your resolution and travel to your liking.
I have Hitec Aurora 9. I read the exponential is used for softer functionality of servo, but what does a throttle curve do?

Mody
Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

A throttle curve's effect is similar to that of expo. Properly adjusted, it will make a gasser's decidedly NON-linear throttling "feel" more linear on the throttle stick. If your radio has either of these features, monkeying around with the linkage geometry is completely unnecessary. Fine tuning of the engine's response to throttle-stick movement is very easy using either of these functions. This is exactly the sort of thing computer radios were invented for.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:15 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Makes a world of difference too. Instead of having a half stick of throttle, you can adjust it for a full stick, just dont expect much difference when you get pas half stick, its pretty much wide open past that point.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 PM
armody

Hello Guys,

As per acdii's suggestion. Last week I ran the DLE20 on the ground for few minutes sporadically. As I was told to get this plane and fly. Today weather is excellent, wind is gonna be less than 8mph and I'm fully prepared to have a maiden flight on it. Wing bolt I lost it and I did not have the which can be screwed tight with hand. I found my old nylon bolt, and I cut them half. They fit pretty well to the wings, and I have not installed the cowl yet, since I gotta fly it without the cowl for a while right?

Biggest pain in the butt is screwing tight the wing bolt, one can be done with the flat-head screw driver other needs a lot of cumbersome work, but I'd make it work, at least I'd try. I'd try to adjust the engine, I'm only afraid of idle. While I was running the engine, after setting up the idle, I also noticed that after the full throttle as soon as pull the gimbal back to idle,, the idle would stay little bit higher than previous setting, but after may be 10 seconds, it would get back to the old setting. I did not understand that part. Anyway, it's my first gasser and experiencing new things would make me learn new things on that.

Still inputs are welcome

Three recent pictures of my plane as I was working on it in my officeat home

Mody
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80337.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1817448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35943.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1817449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32569.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1817450  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:09 AM
sandyjain

The DLE20 ignition has a peculiarity that it gets to idle after a few seconds. So do not worry. for initial flights keep the idle tad high - high enough that the model does not move on the ground.
Remember to check CG, all bolts must have threadlock and surfaces will feel better with -ve expo. On futaba I keep -40%.

I guess you shall be rather pleased with the performance of the DLE20...your model looks great...enjoy your maiden...
Old 11-04-2012, 05:27 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

armody - if you want to pull your DLE 20 down to idle sooner use the Idle Cut or Throttle Down function on your radio. I've been doing that and it works great - let's you keep the idle at a decent (none-stall) rate while up in the air, then you can cut it on landing approach, if needed. Also, for your wing-bolt problem, buy a small ratchet. Much easier than using your fingers in that tight space.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Mody, you probably have the idle mixture adjusted slightly lean. Try going just a tad richer with it and see if that doesn't get it to come down to idle more reliably.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:26 PM
armody

Sandy Jain Thank you very much for your comments. That's my first Gasser and I put it together with the help of my mentor who is extremely meticulous about geometry, measurement and accuracy. CG had been set up as per manual's direction. We did not have to add up the weight to it, just tweaked around the battery packs, and boom we got pretty accurate CG on it. I've been helped out pretty well on throttle curve, and I gotta do some research on that.

About the exponential, I had set it up on my old glow plane which I have sold out, it worked great. Without expo, if I have to jitter the gimbal/ radio stick on the aileron would jitter too, once the expo is set up, the operation is very smooth even jittery of the thumb won't make much difference on it. Now on this Yak 54 120 I tried to set up the expo on my Hitec Aurora 9, pretty much the same set up I did on my previous gas plane. With expo 0ff, the aileron throw/ movement is normal, but when expo is on, movement is not smooth, it lags a tad which is noticeable but barely. I never understood that part if anyone has idea on that?

microdon2 That's a pretty good idea to set up the idle cut or throttle down function on my radio. As far as the small ratchet is concerned, I thought about it and it's a pretty good idea, but the nylon bolt has a flat head screw on it, it is not hex screw, so does ratchet come with some sort of add to it thingy which may tighten up the flat head nylon bolt?

ahicks I'm gonna work on that mixture as well.

Today I have not been able to have a maiden flight on my plane, since weather was ideal, sunny, less than 8 Mph wind, it's beautiful out there, temp is around 80 +. Today nobody's at the flying field as well, next week there would be some guys at the flying field with pretty good experience on gas engines. I'd rather like to go there while they are present, so I can have them look at my engine as well. I hope this Renaissance gets over soon, it causes a lots of traffic problems in our area.

Thank y'all

Mody
Old 11-04-2012, 02:04 PM
armody

I also found this video of Exponential setup on Hitec Aurora 9 2.4Ghz radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QNLSArltSU
Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Cactus463

Had same problem with minerichened the low speed needle 1/8th turn and it works fine now-
Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 AM
DL826
Banned

Hello,guys
i am a representative of the DLE manufacturer ,and this is my first time to come here.
So hope i can learn and share something about DLE in here.

If you have any question,please feel free to ask me. I will try my best to help you.
But i donot know that(because i am also a newer for engines, i am also learning about DLE)

Thanks for your attention and support about DLE.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Oldbob

Hello DL826, thank you for having an interest in us DLE customers. Your English is very good. Where did you study English? If you are newer for engines, what is your primary field of knowledge? what is your name?
Welcome to this forum.

Bob
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

DLE86 - welcome to the forum.

We love your engine. Great power at a good price. But their are two main problems, from what I've seen and heard. One is that it does not come down to idle as we'd expect - it can hang up for a while before coming down. Some have said that means the mixture is too lean, but richening the mixture does not help my engine. Could it be that the reed block is not exactly even, and needs to be sanded down to make it perfectly square (I heard this from a good source). Have not yet done it myself, but plan to. A small suction leak would explain this symptom. The other is that the throttle curve is not linear. Seems that can be fixed by using an EI from the DLE 55 - so why not just couple those EI's with the DLE 20? Thanks in advance.

Mike D
Old 11-10-2012, 07:28 AM
sandyjain

ORIGINAL: DL826

Hello,guys
i am a representative of the DLE manufacturer ,and this is my first time to come here.
So hope i can learn and share something about DLE in here.

If you have any question,please feel free to ask me. I will try my best to help you.
But i donot know that(because i am also a newer for engines, i am also learning about DLE)

Thanks for your attention and support about DLE.
Welcome DL826... I am from India and have 10 of your engines in all sizes. I frequent this forum as it has a wealth of info and views from users of DLE engines - specially DLE20 - from all over the world.
It would be nice if DLE could have a dealer in India - currently we get all our engines from overseas - US, Singapore & Hongkong.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome DL826! I love my DLE20.....hope to add another DLE engine to those I have.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 PM
armody

Hello Guys,

Thanks a lot for your great inputs. I wanted to ask y'all this question but somehow I forgot. Last night I was watching a DLE20 video on YouTube, so that question popped up on my mind.

The question was regarding the "Gas and Synthetic Oil for the Gas and ratio".

Here is what I'm using. I'm using Regular Gasoline the 3rd grade which is lowest one 87 one I think which normally I use in my car as well. That's the gasoline I'm using for my DLE20. Do I have to go one grade up?

The synthetic oil I'm using is Klotz. Do I have to buy Red Line synthetic oil or Stihl or Penzoil? What do you say about Klotz?

Third and last question. The ratio I used was 32:1 and I gotta remind you I just ran the engine on the ground almost 1/4 of a tank or max 1/2 that's it with regular gas klots 32:1 ratio. After how many flights do I have to change the synthetic oil ratio or do I have to keep it 32:1. Also explain in to me the ratios for the oil, and reducing the ratio or adding the ratio what difference does it make to the motor/engine.

I will really appreciate detailed explanations here.

Thanks a lot guys and happy flying

Mody
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You must keep the "DLE 20" at 32:1 or have trouble with the rod
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: armody

Hello Guys,

As per acdii's suggestion. Last week I ran the DLE20 on the ground for few minutes sporadically. As I was told to get this plane and fly. Today weather is excellent, wind is gonna be less than 8mph and I'm fully prepared to have a maiden flight on it. Wing bolt I lost it and I did not have the which can be screwed tight with hand. I found my old nylon bolt, and I cut them half. They fit pretty well to the wings, and I have not installed the cowl yet, since I gotta fly it without the cowl for a while right?

Biggest pain in the butt is screwing tight the wing bolt, one can be done with the flat-head screw driver other needs a lot of cumbersome work, but I'd make it work, at least I'd try. I'd try to adjust the engine, I'm only afraid of idle. While I was running the engine, after setting up the idle, I also noticed that after the full throttle as soon as pull the gimbal back to idle,, the idle would stay little bit higher than previous setting, but after may be 10 seconds, it would get back to the old setting. I did not understand that part. Anyway, it's my first gasser and experiencing new things would make me learn new things on that.

Still inputs are welcome

Three recent pictures of my plane as I was working on it in my officeat home

Mody
About your wing bolts.Buy two bolts and two wing nuts.Screw wing nuts onto bolts and use wing nuts to hand tighten in your airplane.
BCCHI
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

You must keep the ''DLE 20'' at 32:1 or have trouble with the rod
I thought they recommended 40:1.....but more oil, the longer the engine lasts!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:10 PM
armody

ORIGINAL: w8ye

You must keep the ''DLE 20'' at 32:1 or have trouble with the rod
You're talking about trouble with piston rod? so I need to keep the ratio 32:1. Thanks for the great tip w8ye.

bcchi. I never thought about wing bolts good idea, and I'm gonna use the washers from inside and outside to keep the wings tightly closed and intact.

Tailskid: You thought they recommended 40:1 or you're sure about it. I read in the DLE20's manual and actually it says 30:1 not 32:1 guess ain't much of a difference. One question, I'd like to ask ya, how can you say more oil, the long the engine lasts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.