Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

g-38 will not draw fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:45 AM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default g-38 will not draw fuel

Had a crash with my new Zenoah G-38. Bent the Hi and Low needles on the carb. Those have been replaced. Other than that, no other visible external damage, compression is good, but, the carb will not draw fuel. Before dumping money for parts, any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: g-38 will not draw fuel

Bent both needles and no other damage??? That's hard to believe. It may be leaking air around the needle threads now, or the carb body may be cracked. Did you take anything off the carb when you repaired it? A typical Walbro-type carb has a couple of things that MUST be oriented the proper way or it won't suck. Dirt in the needle seats? Did you wash it out good? Did you take the carb off to repair it? Did you get the spacer back on the right way? There's a vent through it to the crankcase that makes the suction for the carb to draw fuel. Lastly, are the needles open enough?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just dealt with this same exact issue, same engine. Take the 1 large screw off, pop the pump cover. You will see a pump membrane that has two flaps on them. Make sure those flaps are clean under them. Use some gas to clean the gunk off. Once those flappers were cleaned mine fired right up. This happens from the engine sitting for long periods of time. There are other reasons why an engine won't draw fuel but this is the most frequent and easiest to fix.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

In addition to Joe's comments, yes a through cleaning of all the ports, as well as under the "flappers" the is a screen that need cleaning every once in a while too.

Assuming the carb has been cleaned and all ports are free flowing, check the crank case for cracks and or leaks, I was pulling my hair out one day wondering why my 3.2 wouldn't draw fuel when I realized I'd forgotten to plug the smoke tap. Any air being sucked into the engine other than through the carb will cause the problem you describe too.

good luck