Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF 26cc won't draw fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 PM
soco32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF 26cc won't draw fuel

How did your ESM Stuka fly with this engine? I had the same engine (Aerovate 26cc) on my stuka and it did not perform real well took lots of runway to get airborne. Also when landing, if I undershoot and need to add power it was not real responsive. I wnet back and put an old beat up CRRC 26R on the plane and it is quite a bit better. When I look at the engine specs the CRRC 26R puts out about .5 hp more than the Aerovate and they weigh about the same. Just wondering what you found.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

This is an old thread. It just so happens I have a RCGF 15 and it will not draw fuel either. I have to close the choke and start it with the starter and it runs with the choke on. I have to shut it down then start it with the choke off and it runs good.
The needles are way different than 1&1/2 turns out. The low speed is about 3 turns ouy and the high speed is only 1/2 turn out.
I have to wonder about their carb.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 AM
cna91

I know this isnt what you want to hear, but I did replace my carb with a genuine Walbro on my RCGF 20 ...and it was still very unreliable on start up. Especially once warm. I eventually bit the bullet and bought the dle20 and havent looked back.

The problem, at least as far as we figured in out non professional capacity, came from the excessive amount of play in the bearings on the 20 the RCGF. I am almost positive that the play was large enough to cause air leaks.

Your mileage and experiance may vary.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: cna91

I know this isnt what you want to hear, but I did replace my carb with a genuine Walbro on my RCGF 20 ...and it was still very unreliable on start up. Especially once warm. I eventually bit the bullet and bought the dle20 and havent looked back.

The problem, at least as far as we figured in out non professional capacity, came from the excessive amount of play in the bearings on the 20 the RCGF. I am almost positive that the play was large enough to cause air leaks.

Your mileage and experiance may vary.
Is this an RCG (from HobbyKing) or an RCGF? If you're not going to use it and it's complete, I might be willing to give you something for it to see if I can get it going some day?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 AM
cna91

It has already found a new home. He was going to get new bearings and check out everything else on the inside...Not sure if he ever did. He moved away a couple months ago.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled my rcgf20cc out to finish working on it recently. I had to replace the ignition module due to a heat sensitive problem. It would start and run fine cold. As it got warmer, it would start having transition problems, then a miss every now and then. Eventually, it started bogging down and it wouldnt start until it cooled off. Before that, the stock carb was really messed up. That turned out to be a poorly adjusted pop-off fuel pressure regulator. I readjusted that and got the engine running better than it ever has out of the box. But its still not a very powerful engine. Its adequate. I tried a walbro carb on it that ran fine, but that was when the ignition module failed. So I put the stock carb that I repaired back on and its running fine with that one now.
Edwin
Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The more I read about all the problems with a lot of all these engines of various brands, I think it would be better to get a good conversion RC engine from one of the guys that know this stuff in the first place. They know by experience what goes wrong & rebuild/convert them to be more trouble free..........
Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

The more I read about all the problems with a lot of all these engines of various brands, I think it would be better to get a good conversion RC engine from one of the guys that know this stuff in the first place. They know by experience what goes wrong & rebuild/convert them to be more trouble free..........
I haven't seen a conversion engine advertized for less than 25CC. If there were it probably would be too heavy for the small aircraft we want to use it on. We need purpose designed engines for them.
The Chinese are filling a need with the current cost of glow fuel. Eventually they will get it right.Some already have(DLE,NGH)
Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: Edwin

I pulled my rcgf20cc out to finish working on it recently. I had to replace the ignition module due to a heat sensitive problem. It would start and run fine cold. As it got warmer, it would start having transition problems, then a miss every now and then. Eventually, it started bogging down and it wouldnt start until it cooled off. Before that, the stock carb was really messed up. That turned out to be a poorly adjusted pop-off fuel pressure regulator. I readjusted that and got the engine running better than it ever has out of the box. But its still not a very powerful engine. Its adequate. I tried a walbro carb on it that ran fine, but that was when the ignition module failed. So I put the stock carb that I repaired back on and its running fine with that one now.
Edwin
Where is info for adjusting the pop off valve?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure there are procedures online someplace. I did it by brute force, trial and error. In my case the engine would only transition to about half throttle and eventually wouldnt start at all. No amount of adjusting was gonna fix it. After changing the ignition module and sensor didnt work, I pulled the plug and it was dry. So I tweaked the fork under the diaphragm. It took five times of trial and error before I got it running perfect. It runs better than it ever has out of the box. Turns out a bunch of people were having similar problems. Some were able to fix it by replacing the spring with a real walbro spring, others just replaced the carb. A few other guys and I tweaked the popoff adjustment. Search back in this thread for info about what we did.

There is a tool you buy that sets the fork adjustment, I didnt have it then, but I have it now. There is a small pump with a pressure gauge you use to test the popoff pressure. If you work on these engines all the time (as in business) it would be handy to have. I dont think its a problem you would normally see with a real walbro.
Edwin
Old 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

When there were a bunch of guys that had this happen at about the same time like Edwin is talking about, I was one of those that tweaked the lever as well. I set mine up slightly higher than it was, so it was level with the carb body adjacent to the lever? Might not make sense unless you happen to be looking at it.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: soco32

How did your ESM Stuka fly with this engine? I had the same engine (Aerovate 26cc) on my stuka and it did not perform real well took lots of runway to get airborne. Also when landing, if I undershoot and need to add power it was not real responsive. I wnet back and put an old beat up CRRC 26R on the plane and it is quite a bit better. When I look at the engine specs the CRRC 26R puts out about .5 hp more than the Aerovate and they weigh about the same. Just wondering what you found.
Ah yes, I remember this thread. What a nightmare of an engine.

My Stuka barely flew with this boat anchor piece of garbage. I was lucky to get it over the tree line and back around to land. Plane weighed 17 lbs at the time. I replaced it with a DLE 30 and it instantly became a very fun plane to fly. I have a PTE 36 on there now and it hauls the plane around with authority. Current weight is 18.5 lbs.