Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-85 Starts Backwards Only

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Mr DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA-85 Starts Backwards Only

Yepper, she’s brand new and she ain’t taking no for an answer. She’ll run only backwards. She won’t even sputter forwards. I’ve cranked her 4 times on the back flip when she’s only supposed to sputter and then start on the forward flip, but she starts instead. I’m about to send her back to DA unless one of you Gents can/will throw some knowledge at me.

Many thanks.
Mr DJ
Old 08-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: DA-85 Starts Backwards Only

Try the sensor all the way CCW
Old 08-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Mr DJ

All the way counter-clock wise. Will do, RC...

Thank you again...

If both your suggestions work, you can fly both of these puppies...

Mr DJ
Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: Mr DJ

Yepper, she’s brand new and she ain’t taking no for an answer. She’ll run only backwards. She won’t even sputter forwards. I’ve cranked her 4 times on the back flip when she’s only supposed to sputter and then start on the forward flip, but she starts instead. I’m about to send her back to DA unless one of you Gents can/will throw some knowledge at me.

Many thanks.
Mr DJ
Jst buy another one and build a P-38 with counterrotating props. Problem solved.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

Many thanks.
Mr DJ
Jst buy another one and build a P-38 with counterrotating props. Problem solved.
I'll keep that in mind
Old 08-07-2010, 03:45 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried an electric starter? Some Saito will only run backwards til they are broken in. 'Course you are talking 2 stroke and gas, right/

Richard
Old 08-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Have you tried an electric starter? Some Saito will only run backwards til they are broken in. 'Course you are talking 2 stroke and gas, right/

Richard
Hey Richard,

It's probably the sensor setting like RC said and yes, I do have a huge freakin' starter but it's fallin' apart and haven't tried it on the DA yet.

Mr DJ
Old 08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks.
Mr DJ
Why are you flipping it backwards?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was curious about that too. Glad you did the asking instead of me. Never seen people back flip a gasser.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:15 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Many thanks.
Mr DJ

My guess is because it won't run forward and he wanted to see/hear it run.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Tired Old Man

Timing is the only thing that would cause reverse running. It would make for a great engine on a large scale Pushycat
Old 08-07-2010, 07:41 PM
spaceworm

UM, I have the plans for the Pushycat if he is interested.

Regards,

Richard
Old 08-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Many thanks.
Mr DJ
The instructions tell you to do so. You flip it backwards with the choke on to grab some fuel and sputter, then flip forward and she's supposed to start right up...mine keeps running backwards. When I shut her down and flip her forwards, not even a peep
Old 08-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Tired Old Man

From the DA-85 manual:

1. Close the choke completely.
2. Open the throttle to approximately 1/8 position.
3. Turn on the ignition. ALWAYS BE PREPARED FOR THE ENGINE TO START ON ANY FLIP OF
THE PROP, whether the ignition switch is on or off! Flipping the prop with the ignition off may flood
the engine.
4. Give the prop a quick, firm, flip counter clockwise. Follow through quickly as you flip the prop so
your hand swings out of the props path. Repeat until the engine fires or “popsâ€. Flip the prop one
more time.
5. Open the choke.
6. Set throttle to idle position. (carburetor butterfly plate just slightly open)
7. Flip the prop again until the engine fires and runs.
8. Let the engine warm up for 15 to 20 seconds before advancing the throttle.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

From the DA-85 manual:

1. Close the choke completely.
2. Open the throttle to approximately 1/8 position.
3. Turn on the ignition. ALWAYS BE PREPARED FOR THE ENGINE TO START ON ANY FLIP OF
THE PROP, whether the ignition switch is on or off! Flipping the prop with the ignition off may flood
the engine.
4. Give the prop a quick, firm, flip counter clockwise. Follow through quickly as you flip the prop so
your hand swings out of the props path. Repeat until the engine fires or “pops”. Flip the prop one
more time.
5. Open the choke.
6. Set throttle to idle position. (carburetor butterfly plate just slightly open)
7. Flip the prop again until the engine fires and runs.
8. Let the engine warm up for 15 to 20 seconds before advancing the throttle.
your hand swings out of the props path. Repeat until the engine fires or “pops”. Flip the prop one
more time.

Counter clockwise is flipping it backwards. As soon as I do this action, she fires up. She does nothing in forward motion. I believe it's the timing sensor as RC pointed out. I will rotate counter clock-wise and give her another go.

Richard, I've got some news for you, see next reading.

Mr DJ
Old 08-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Mr DJ

UM, I have the plans for the Pushycat if he is interested.

Regards,

Richard
Richard, my Friend…
I’d might take you up on the Pushycat but I’m a bit over my freakin’ head, and you ain’t seen the half of it. The First link is to a project I started in Jan—arriving any day—two of my three DL 55s belong to her: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9464280/anchors_9464280/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9464280
The next three links are to planes I just bought like three freakin’ days ago; one of them owns the 3<sup>rd</sup> DL 55 while the other owns the DL 111.
The last of these three links is a different breed and is a New and 6<sup>th</sup> addition to her 5 older sisters who have been sitting and waiting to be assembled—photos deleted, but were to large scale turbines: F-4 Twin, F-18 Twin, F-15 Twin w/Vector Thrust, F-16, and F-14 Twin w/Sweep Wings.
And like I said, you ain’t seen the half of it

Mr DJ
Old 08-07-2010, 09:11 PM
aegis

Counter clockwise is flipping it backwards.
Whether saying flipping it counter clockwise is backwards or forwards, counter clockwise is the correct direction for starting and running. The good news is that since it starts right up flipping it counter clockwise, you're good to go.

Dan
Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: aegis

Counter clockwise is flipping it backwards.
Whether saying flipping it counter clockwise is backwards or forwards, counter clockwise is the correct direction for starting and running. The good news is that since it starts right up flipping it counter clockwise, you're good to go.

Dan
Dan

You know, you are correct... Folks, I get/got mixed up with the play on words of backwards and counter clock-wise. Flipping it clock-wise which is backwards, it fires right up. Flipping her counter clock-wise which is forward, it does nothing. Again, I will move the sensor like RC suggested and see what happens. Thanks, Dan...

Mr DJ
Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 PM
wayne d
My Feedback: (5)

What does DA say about this? I do know you can have a reverse rotation engine done and DA does this.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:09 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

[8D]
Old 08-07-2010, 10:57 PM
aegis

Folks, I get/got mixed up with the play on words of backwards and counter clock-wise. Flipping it clock-wise which is backwards, it fires right up. Flipping her counter clock-wise which is forward, it does nothing. Again, I will move the sensor like RC suggested and see what happens.
To clarify, I wasn't trying to make a point of whether flipping the engine counter clockwise is "backwards" or "forwards". Flipping your engine counter clockwise, and it running counter clockwise, is the correct direction, unless you need it to run in reverse rotation (as noted by wayne d). Note that reverse rotation = running clockwise. Are you running a twin-engine plane or have some other reason for needing reverse rotation? If you just mounted it on the nose of a plane (e.g., Extra, Yak, Edge, Sukhoi, Mustang, Thunderbolt, Spitfire), your engine is running correctly (counter clockwise). Trying to understand your set up as to why you need reverse rotation (clockwise) and plan to move the sensor.

Dan
Old 08-07-2010, 11:47 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Careful.... An engine running clockwise with a right hand thread prop nut or hub will often loosen the prop nut and/or hub and the prop can fly off. I am not sure how the DA-85 is configured, but I would be very careful about running it "backwards".

AV8TOR
Old 08-07-2010, 11:50 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

so turn the plane around and start foward.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Tired Old Man

DA85=6 bolt hub, same as everything they have from 100cc up. DA50=4 bolt hub.

Any two stoke with an electronic ignition can be easily converted to a reverse rotation engine. Rarely will there be any significant difference in the fuel delivery.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:25 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Richard

NEVER use a starter on a DA!!! If you think you need to, something is terribly wrong with the set up! Send it back to DA. They always run right out of the box!! OR......turn the prop around......lol........just joking. Send it back to DA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.