Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: C & H ignitions is closed

hi mr bill
this is larry from georgia. i am glad to hear that you are doing a little better. we are praying for a speedy recovery for you. i love your ignitions and i have been trying to find out how you were doing. i know one of the last times we talked you were trying to retire. i hope you can get back into
the things that you love to do. i know you have a long road ahead but hang in there we are all pulling for you.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 PM
captinjohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill, hang in there friend. Again we are praying for your complete recovery. I am sure many many people are praying for you. Get the rest you need, try not to worry. Like one of my therapist would tell me.......NOT TO WORRY. She was right. God,s speed your way. Capt,n John & Dawn Hesperia MI
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill, all the best wishes to you! Concentrate on getting better and the rest will take care of itself.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Best wishes to you Bill for a swift and fairly painless recovery. Hope you are able to get back to a normal life soon.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 PM
bcchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Bill, hang in there friend. Again we are praying for your complete recovery. I am sure many many people are praying for you. Get the rest you need, try not to worry. Like one of my therapist would tell me.......NOT TO WORRY. She was right. God,s speed your way. Capt,n John & Dawn Hesperia MI
Hi John,
Thanks everyone I feel better already.
Spent most of the day Fri,cleaning my old lathe.It is about shot from lack of TLC.I thought I should do somthing usefull.I made a mandrell and was going to take .015 off the bottom of a DL 30 cyl and install a Bowman ring.This was a early c ylinder
not only was it not flat and true but was not aligned with the cyl.I still removed .015 but took about .007to .10 to clean up.Maybe this is the reason you can somtimes free up this engine buy just readjusting the cyl bolts.Was going to install it Sat and see if it made any improvement in the RPM Flew and tached the engine but was to tired to change the cyl and ring at the field.Maybe next sat.This was a early cyl ,so maybe new ones are better. I see the new 30s do not use the rolll pin for alignment of the crankcase halves. When going togeather ,if you have the roll pin leave it out .Install the rear case and just bottom the bolts do not tighten tight,install the cyl and torque the cyl bolts.Then torque down the rear case bolts.When I have time I am going to check a couple more of the cylinders on my other DL 30s. Of course maybe I had better run it first,maybe I ruinded it. I no the Bowman ring helps. If this helps I will be able to do this for other fliers plus install the Bowman ring.Can also convert to rear carb.I am not able to hand crank a engine yet.But frinds do it for me plus have a starter that will turn a 30.Do not even have a starter in my airplane trailor.
Thanks everyone.
BCCHI
And GOD bless.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill,

Good report. Very interesting. Sounds like the old Bill.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:33 AM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hard to keep a good man down and Bill you're one of the best. Don't work to hard, I'll keep praying for you and yours. Take care.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 AM
captinjohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Bill,
It shure is good to hear/read the last post you made. I bet that DLE30 is going to have super compression after removing .015 off the base of cylinder. I guess if the compression seemed to high you could always use 2 base gaskets. Way back when I bought my DLE30 I got some base gaskets from a place in Canada. Never did use them. I sure like the Boman ring....much better seal right from the get go. If the engine does not start....my arm will wear down from trying to crank it over. That ring makes a big difference on cranking & running!

Hey I had to do more painting at my place to sell, and stopped in at a new Wallgreens store. I talked with the guy that helped me figure out whatt to do with that burn I got. So I asked him about my eyes & what would help. I bought some Eye Allergy Relief....good news...it seems to be helping after only 3 applications. Now I can get a eye test & new glasses. I called and it has been 2 years since eye exame. So with new glasses it may make a worl of difference. Below is a photo of the box the stuff came in. I tried visine several months ago...that kind did niot help.

Keep tinkering on the engines & give us a report from time to time....your post made my day. Best Regards Capt,n John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51059.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	1512283  
Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 PM
tkg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ya its payback time for all those years you spent getting other peoples engines to run right.
So relax and enjoy
TKG

ORIGINAL: bcchi
Hi John,
Spent most of the day Fri,cleaning my old lathe.It is about shot from lack of TLC.I thought I should do somthing usefull.I made a mandrell and was going to take .015 off the bottom of a DL 30 cyl and install a Bowman ring.This was a early c ylinder
not only was it not flat and true but was not aligned with the cyl.I still removed .015 but took about .007to .10 to clean up.Maybe this is the reason you can somtimes free up this engine buy just readjusting the cyl bolts.Was going to install it Sat and see if it made any improvement in the RPM Flew and tached the engine but was to tired to change the cyl and ring at the field.Maybe next sat.This was a early cyl ,so maybe new ones are better. I see the new 30s do not use the rolll pin for alignment of the crankcase halves. When going togeather ,if you have the roll pin leave it out .Install the rear case and just bottom the bolts do not tighten tight,install the cyl and torque the cyl bolts.Then torque down the rear case bolts.When I have time I am going to check a couple more of the cylinders on my other DL 30s. Of course maybe I had better run it first,maybe I ruinded it. I no the Bowman ring helps. If this helps I will be able to do this for other fliers plus install the Bowman ring.Can also convert to rear carb.I am not able to hand crank a engine yet.But frinds do it for me plus have a starter that will turn a 30.Do not even have a starter in my airplane trailor.
Thanks everyone.
BCCHI
And GOD bless.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:12 PM
bcchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe .015 was not a good idea. I installed the cyl on a new DL 30 with out the gasket and piston hit the top.With the gasket will not hit.
Will find out Sat if good weather will probably go out and play with engines anyway.I checked a new DL 30 and it was a lot better then my older cyl.
BCCHI Get to running the engine with the Bowman ring. I no fall of the year and lots of chors to do.
BCCHI

Hi John,
Thanks everyone.
BCCHI
And GOD bless.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 PM
bcchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Hard to keep a good man down and Bill you're one of the best. Don't work to hard, I'll keep praying for you and yours. Take care.
Everyone says I look good. I do not see how this is possible as I never did lool good. Wish I felt as good as they say I look tried playing my Tenor Sax,seem to have enough air but hurts a little.Have two gigs coming up I may give it a try.
Jody did you get care package.I have 1/x32 spark plugs now.
BCCHI
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 PM
bcchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did you have someone that wanted some 1/x32 plugs.Some came in.
BCCHI
ORIGINAL: tkg
Ya its payback time for all those years you spent getting other peoples engines to run right.
So relax and enjoy
TKG

Hi John,
Thanks everyone.
BCCHI
And GOD bless.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:17 AM
captinjohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Bill,
Are the 1/4 x32 plugs you got in Spark plugs? What brand & are they standard length on the threads? Other people may be looking to buy some also.

Hey playing that Sax is good therepy for the lungs....even your soul! Soul Music!!!! Capt,n
Old 10-08-2010, 10:55 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Bill,
Are the 1/4 x32 plugs you got in Spark plugs? What brand & are they standard length on the threads? Other people may be looking to buy some also.

Hey playing that Sax is good therepy for the lungs....even your soul! Soul Music!!!! Capt,n
This is most probably with reference the RCEXL type 1/4 -32 spark plugs.

The other probability is the Rimfire

Old 10-08-2010, 02:09 PM
rcnats
My Feedback: (56)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Bill,

Just found this out. Know that you and your family are in my prayers. I 've spoken to you by phone on many occasions and you're wisdom is unparalleled. Take your time and heal. We can wait. God bless you.

Stan
Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Bill, my name is Ken Wilson (Starfighter).

I want to wish you a speedy recovery as well. You take your time and heal real good, ya hear.

I also want to thank you for all of the great service you've given me over the years (lighten/add ignition to a Sach 4.2, converted my Super Tigres and BGX to ignition among others). You were/are very helpful, honest, and most of all, a GREAT person.
So, take care, my friend. God bless.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:53 PM
jehembre

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To Bill C: Hope you heal well and fast :-).

Couple of questions for you:

1: whats the differences of a vers 2.0 ch ignition from dec 2008 and a new rcexl ignition from 2010?

2: if there is differences, is it possible to buy a ch ignition made by rcexl?

Best regards

John Erik Hembre

Norway

IMAC-addict
Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 AM
bcchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jehembre

To Bill C: Hope you heal well and fast :-).

Couple of questions for you:

1: whats the differences of a vers 2.0 ch ignition from dec 2008 and a new rcexl ignition from 2010?

2: if there is differences, is it possible to buy a ch ignition made by rcexl?

Best regards

John Erik Hembre

Norway

IMAC-addict
Most of the version two RCEXL ignitions will handle A-123 or LIFE with out any regulater,anyhow the one he built for us would.Not possible to by a
C&H made by RCEXL.Maybe when I get to feeling better I will build a few ignitions.Am getting stronger but still have a lot of pain. The only time I hurt is when I breathe coufe or am awake.
Just test flew my new 2. 4 oz ign today. Was fine DL 30.
BCCHI
Old 10-18-2010, 03:51 AM
jehembre

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Bill!

Thanks for your fast reply.

I'm asking this because I have some problems converting a 3W110iB2 CS to RCEXL-ignition. It backfires real bad on the rcexl module. I tried a C&H-module yesterday(vers 2.0 from 2008), and no issues with that one. The 2 modules looks to be the same, only difference I can find is the hall-sensor.
After some research it looks to be the hallsensor-type that causes the trouble. It seems to me that the A1104-version that rcexl use is to sensitive to both north and south pole of the magnets that 3W use, and that it double-sense the magnet each time its under the hallelement, making the retarding-circuit go bananas. If this is not possible than I have another broken RCEXL-module.

Any thoughts about this conclusion Bill??

Thanks in advance.

John Erik Hembre
Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Tired Old Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill,

Good to hear you're feeling better. I was more than a bit concerned for awhile. You folks are closed now and rightfully so, you've given a whole lot of years to us in this hobby. Enjoy the good times again.

Is there anyone you might suggest that could perform repairs on older or broken CH units? Of course that would not be done for free, but who's the best to go to with this?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:33 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill,

I'm glad you are feeling better! Get plenty of rest and get well soon.

Best wishes to you guys at CH. The best ignitions in the business.

Dennis
Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 PM
93octane
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill...Glad to hear your trying to do a little tinkering..Keeps the mind fresh! your ignitions have always served me well God speed your recovery!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 PM
captinjohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Bill,
It shure is good to hear/read the last post you made. I bet that DLE30 is going to have super compression after removing .015 off the base of cylinder. I guess if the compression seemed to high you could always use 2 base gaskets. Way back when I bought my DLE30 I got some base gaskets from a place in Canada. Never did use them. I sure like the Boman ring....much better seal right from the get go. If the engine does not start....my arm will wear down from trying to crank it over. That ring makes a big difference on cranking & running!

Hey I had to do more painting at my place to sell, and stopped in at a new Wallgreens store. I talked with the guy that helped me figure out whatt to do with that burn I got. So I asked him about my eyes & what would help. I bought some Eye Allergy Relief....good news...it seems to be helping after only 3 applications. Now I can get a eye test & new glasses. I called and it has been 2 years since eye exame. So with new glasses it may make a word of difference. I tried visine several months ago...that kind did niot help.
Well the above was a old post. Today I got my eye exam. Good news. The prescription needs to be changed (my eyes now calls for a lower power) and they said after looking at my trend my eyes have been changing for less power the last 3 times.

This means I need new glasses right away ...they say it will help eye strain a lot. May need to use eye drops for dry eyes...but they said that will get better too. I sure hope so. I cannot order them until november because of insurance timing. That is not to far away. I cannot wait. Well that is it for now on the eye thing. I am praying for Bill & Antique both to stay well. May the Lord bless you both.

Keep tinkering on the engines & give us a report from time to time....your post made my day. Best Regards Capt,n John
Old 10-18-2010, 11:35 PM
bcchi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Bill!

I'm asking this because I have some problems converting a 3W110iB2 CS to RCEXL-ignition. It backfires real bad on the rcexl module. I tried a C&H-module yesterday(vers 2.0 from 2008), and no issues with that one. The 2 modules looks to be the same, only difference I can find is the hall-sensor.
After some research it looks to be the hallsensor-type that causes the trouble. It seems to me that the A1104-version that rcexl use is to sensitive to both north and south pole of the magnets that 3W use, and that it double-sense the magnet each time its under the hallelement, making the retarding-circuit go bananas. If this is not possible than I have another broken RCEXL-module.

Thanks in advance.

John Erik Hembre
I think I no the problem. We had complaints on the big twins of kick back on the RCEXL Ign that was built for us. I built some RCEXL type ignitions and use our Syncro spark timing module with the pic 16 chip.No more complaints of kick back.I do not no if Xu Laing has changed his RCEXL units to pic 16 with close as he can get to our program.Maybe I can build a few ignitions when I get stronger. I still have some Syncro spark modules.I do not want to open a can or worms and am not thinking c learly yet after medical problems. Was about brain dead before and keeping me out and cut open like a dead Elk for a week did not help .Could not talk for a week and could not write anything my wife could read.as so thankful to have her by my side.
Thank BCCHI AMA 2500
Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM
jehembre

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Bill!

Thanks in advance.

John Erik Hembre
I think I no the problem. We had complaints on the big twins of kick back on the RCEXL Ign that was built for us. I built some RCEXL type ignitions and use our Syncro spark timing module with the pic 16 chip.No more complaints of kick back.I do not no if Xu Laing has changed his RCEXL units to pic 16 with close as he can get to our program.Maybe I can build a few ignitions when I get stronger. I still have some Syncro spark modules.I do not want to open a can or worms and am not thinking c learly yet after medical problems. Was about brain dead before and keeping me out and cut open like a dead Elk for a week did not help .Could not talk for a week and could not write anything my wife could read.as so thankful to have her by my side.
Thank BCCHI AMA 2500

Hope you heal up fast Bill! And do it well.

When you can think clear again after full recovery and if you still want to make some ignitions with your SyncroSpark with the pic16, please let me be first in line to buy some from you. I need 3 pieces of ignitions that do work, and I know yours will.

Please let me know your decision when you get fully recovered.

You can contact me through this forum or I can call you anytime.

Best regards

John Erik Hembre

Norway

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service