RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   need help (fuel stoppers is there a color code) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10356445-need-help-fuel-stoppers-there-color-code.html)

wheels down 02-22-2011 06:03 PM

need help (fuel stoppers is there a color code)

does the industry have a color code for fuel stoppers

exampled all my nitro are black in color rubber

putting together cmpro corsair 75.5 wing span going to 26cc gas engine
the stopper that came with the tank is brown looking or I would call it clay in color

just want to make sure it is for gas

reading the newbie to gas sticky said brown stopper for gas

w8ye 02-22-2011 06:08 PM

RE: need help (fuel stoppers is there a color code)

With Dubro, brown is gasoline and smoke fluid etc.

Black is methanol/nitro

With Sullivan, Black is universal

White is methanol/Nitro

Truckracer 02-22-2011 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

With Dubro, brown is gasoline and smoke fluid etc.

Black is methanol/nitro

With Sullivan, Black is universal

White is methanol/Nitro

There are still (2) types of Sullivan stoppers out there and both are black in color! The old ones were known to go to pieces in gas, especially if the gas contained any ethanol or methanol. The new Viton stopper seems to work very well but I don't know how to tell them apart if they are out of the package .... so I just use the DuBro brown stoppers.

w8ye 02-22-2011 07:56 PM

Me too. I do not buy the Sullivan stoppers because of the unknowns and problems.

I have been happy with the Dubros

Tired Old Man 02-22-2011 08:32 PM

Dubro is the only one that clearly color codes their stoppers. Sullivan has had issues in the past with stoppers alledged to be gas compatible not being so. All their stoppers are black. I don't trust Chinese stoppers of any color to be gasoline safe.

wheels down 02-22-2011 11:06 PM

thanks for all the advice
john
I will get a Dubro stopper
as I don't want to have any problems

alex24 02-23-2011 12:54 PM

The material on the new universal stopper is lot harder than the black regular ones.

Alex

STUKA BARRY 02-23-2011 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Dubro is the only one that clearly color codes their stoppers. Sullivan has had issues in the past with stoppers alledged to be gas compatible not being so. All their stoppers are black. I don't trust Chinese stoppers of any color to be gasoline safe.
The brown/clay color Dubro stopper also has an O stamped on it for "oil". There is no mistaking the two.

av8tor1977 02-23-2011 06:14 PM

Whatever you do don't use the one from China Models that came with the plane. I lost my Christen Eagle that way. I soaked the stopper in gas for 3 days and it was fine, so I used it. However, after a week of being exposed to fuel in the plane, the stopper disintegrated. This caused a dead stick at a most inopportune moment, and the airplane was lost after hitting a concrete wall on short final. (Hey, I thought I had the field made until a sudden gust caused a downdraft over the wall and BAM, the airplane hit.) Man was I mad!

AV8TOR