RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Hot rodding a Zenoah GT80?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10446509-hot-rodding-zenoah-gt80.html)

K-Bob 04-07-2011 01:37 PM

RE: Hot rodding a Zenoah GT80??

He thinks (?) that it will be too heavy to do rolling harriers and to hover. Cause that's what you do with airplanes. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...spinnyeyes.gif

pe reivers 04-07-2011 02:25 PM

:D That's what you do TO airplanes.
Warbirds are meant to fly! Not just stay aloft.

AraTidwell 04-11-2011 01:19 PM

I had no idea it was for a war-bird. When H9 came out with my 33% Cap, they were pushing the GT-80. I put a BME 102 in the airplane that was 3lbs lighter and 20% more powerful. The BME has a bare weight of 4.0lbs. Plane balanced fine, infact to get it to fly the way I wanted it still needed a little tail weight.

pe reivers 04-11-2011 01:48 PM

not looking for 3D performance, but it's powering a 33 lb warbird that only has ground clearance for a 23" prop.
plane at best does a loop with no umph at the top

</p>

See post # 12</p>

Whistling Death 04-11-2011 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: AraTidwell

I had no idea it was for a war-bird.
Five minutes of reading would have prevented that.

When H9 came out with my 33% Cap, they were pushing the GT-80. I put a BME 102 in the airplane that was 3lbs lighter and 20% more powerful. The BME has a bare weight of 4.0lbs. Plane balanced fine, infact to get it to fly the way I wanted it still needed a little tail weight.
Warbirds and 3D planes are two different animals. Warbirds typically require a lot of weight up front.

tkg 04-11-2011 05:26 PM

What exhaust do you have on your GT80. The factory cans are quite but cost 700-1000 rpm depending on prop.
Most hot rod tricks will add HP but will require more RPM, reduce power at the lower end and will have a narrower power band.

sodbuster 1 04-11-2011 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: tkg

What exhaust do you have on your GT80. The factory cans are quite but cost 700-1000 rpm depending on prop.
Most hot rod tricks will add HP but will require more RPM, reduce power at the lower end and will have a narrower power band.
It's got the factory exhaust on it.Was looking at Toni's 2 into one exhaust but don't know if the gain will be noticeable for my style flying.
I tend to fly at half throttle most of the time and will go full throttle on a straightaway every once in a while.
I would like to have a decent top end for some speed but want to make sure it has enough power to muscle it out of any dicey situations I might get into.

This Terry?

speedracerntrixie 04-11-2011 05:50 PM

What prop is being used?

tkg 04-11-2011 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: sodbuster 1
It's got the factory exhaust on it.Was looking at Toni's 2 into one exhaust but don't know if the gain will be noticeable for my style flying.
I tend to fly at half throttle most of the time and will go full throttle on a straightaway every once in a while.
I would like to have a decent top end for some speed but want to make sure it has enough power to muscle it out of any dicey situations I might get into.

This Terry?
OK cheap trick #1 Get the biggest drill you can fit into the muffler port and drill some holes in the baffle. If you enjoy the extra power then look at aftermarket mufflers.
I think that J&A Engineering makes mufflers for the GT 80. Way back when the Zenoah first came out Joe had a set of HP mufflers, a little noisy, but they actually showed a power increase over open exhaust (some tuning was happening)
Yes its Terry, cant stay away