RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10672914-has-anyone-tried-new-pte36r.html)

mighty9 01-04-2012 05:04 AM

RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

Im running a 20x10 and ill get some rpm numbers up as soon as i get my tach . Should be later this week.This will give you a rough idea only as im using a canister muffler.

gunny11 01-04-2012 05:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been itching to test run my engine on the test stand, but it's 13° f over here. Burrr!
Checked my carb screen...Clean as can be. Great compression. Checked all bolts... Seams good, two might have been a little lose. The factory could have cleaned up the head a little before shrink wrapping.

Gunny

Rocketman_ 01-04-2012 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: mighty9

Im running a 20x10 and ill get some rpm numbers up as soon as i get my tach .
Thanks Mighty9

gunny11,
In the picture it looks like you have restrictors in the exhausts. What is their ID?

gunny11 01-04-2012 09:50 AM

No restrictors, Stock muffler that came with it. I can measure it later if you need.

captinjohn 01-04-2012 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: gunny11

I've been itching to test run my engine on the test stand, but it's 13° f over here. Burrr!
Checked my carb screen...Clean as can be. Great compression. Checked all bolts... Seams good, two might have been a little lose. The factory could have cleaned up the head a little before shrink wrapping.

Gunny
Wait for a warmer day if possible. Then what I do in real cold weather is cut the stretchy part of a heavy sock and slip it over the cyl. It will warm up faster and should not overheat at all. Freezing air temps keep inside engine temps way down. Best Regards, Capt,n......PS In Florida now!

gunny11 01-04-2012 10:26 AM

Rodger that Captinjohn. I'll wait till it's above 50.

Rocketman_ 01-04-2012 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: gunny11

.. I can measure it later if you need.

Thank you very much but there is no need to measure. The blur at the end of the pipe made it appear thicker than it really is and I thought it might be a restrictor.

mighty9 01-04-2012 12:16 PM

Rocket man i have a stock muffler now maybe i could make some silencers to try for you . Send me a pic or 2 of your install.

Rocketman_ 01-04-2012 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
mighty9,
Are these the pictures you want to see?

Rocketman_ 01-04-2012 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 76-inch UltraRC Giles 202 in the pictures is the model that I flew with the PTE36R and 20x6 Xoar prop. The flight appeared to be in a kind of slow motion but it flew very well and there wasn't a lot of difference in speed between flying level or climbing. The fliers at the field said that the engine sounded good. The model slowed quickly on the landing approach with the idle speed set a little under 1700 RPM.
As you can see in the pictures, the prop shaft protrudes well forward of the cowl because I wasn't willing to make any modifications to the engine box or firewall. This plane has had 3 different gas engines in it.

By the way, the new PTE muffler has smaller diameter exhaust pipes than the old one.

In post #206 on page nine, 3136 posted a link to a video where they compared the convenience of rotating the PTE36R carb to rotating the DLE30 carb. I believe that having an internal pulse passage way like the DLE30 is more convenient than having an external line. I had to rotate my carb 180 deg and found that there was not enough clearance between the elbow fitting on the carb and the rear of the engine to safely connect a pressure pulse line. I rotated the elbow 45 deg.

I thought I'd take the Giles 202 to the field because the morning sky was blue and sunny but that thought was cut short when I discovered that the temperature outside my kitchen window was 10.2 deg F.

mighty9 01-04-2012 02:39 PM

Maybe i was mistaken Rocketman but wernt you trying to quiet yours down and still have the power?

captinjohn 01-04-2012 04:30 PM

Rocketman, Can you post a photo of your airplane so I can see the what looks like wire landing gear. It looks lite and maybe forgiving! Do you like the gear? Thanks Capt,n

Rocketman_ 01-05-2012 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: mighty9

... wernt you trying to quiet yours down and still have the power?
Yes, that is correct. I want to regain some of the power that was lost when I installed the restrictors that you see in the pictures. As of yet, I have not made any changes to accomplish that.

Rocketman_ 01-05-2012 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
captinjohn ,

Yes I like the gear.
Pictured below is my glow Giles but it has the exact same landing gear setup as my gas Giles. Both are UltraRC Giles in different color schemes.
The landing gear leg is 3/16 music from my local hobby shop and the aluminum tubing and aluminum nuts are from McMaster-Carr.

The nut threads are drilled out and the nut is epoxied to the tube then both are drilled and tapped for the 6-32 set screw.
The 3/16 music wire is shock absorbing and can be slipped out and straightened if you bend it on a lousy landing. That's a lot more economical and convenient than buying and replacing those skinny brittle carbon fiber tube landing gear legs. The tubular carbon fiber landing gear may have worked had they made them a bit larger in diameter. I have seen that type of carbon gear on larger models.

captinjohn 01-05-2012 01:27 PM

Thanks for posting the photos of how you done the wire gear. The one field I fly at is kinda rough on landing gears. Looks like you have lots of good ideas going. Best Regards, Capt,n John

3136 01-05-2012 01:32 PM

Hey Rocketman,
have you tried running the engine with only one of the two muffler inserts fitted.
Or is the sound level you have now the maximum you will accept?

Regards Mark

gunny11 01-05-2012 02:09 PM

I just realized now what engines I could use for my ESM B-25 bomber....

A pair of These PTE 36's! Most guys are using DLE 20's, but the power is less and the side exhaust even with the wrap around pitts muflflers is wiping out the tight diameter round dowels.

Maybe if PTE came out with a 20 cc class engine with a rear exhaust would be even better.
Brilliant!!

Rocketman_ 01-05-2012 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: 3136

Hey Rocketman,
have you tried running the engine with only one of the two muffler inserts fitted.

Regards Mark
That's an idea worth considering. Thanks.
I believe that a little higher sound level would be acceptable at my fields. The noise doesn't bother me any but we have to try to avoid getting complaints from our neighbors.

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness and safety of stuffing coarse steel wool in the muffler? A fellow flier told me that the steel wool gets badly clogged with oil in glow engines but he couldn't comment on gas engines.

mighty9 01-05-2012 05:05 PM

Ok i got my rcxl ignition installed tonite and it runs great with no glitches.I still need to check the timing in the morning but it starts fine and idles @1300 for ever .It will idle down to 1100 but stumbles a bit.I have a 20x10 zinger and i got 6300 rpm .I think its a tad rich and i was trying to compensate for the bad ignition with enriching the needles.I pulled the old cap off and found a brown resistor in it just rattling around so im sure the ignition is fine.I bought an extra cap kit and will install it later.Keep in mind that im at 4800 feet so i think thats pretty good rpm on a 20x10

gunny11 01-05-2012 08:58 PM

One way to tell if the ignition is fine is to put on that new cap and run it again. If there is no signs of glitching then the cap was the faulty culprit.

3136 01-05-2012 10:39 PM

Hey Rocketman,
alot of yard machines have mesh in their mufflers, I was just looking at a few of mine to see if the mufflers would fit the 36,none did but they were all too heavy anyway.
I'll do a few tests this weekend with the steel wool.

Regards Mark

mighty9 01-06-2012 04:00 AM

Mark that mesh is designed to be a spark arrestor and trust me it plugs up.I replaced many of them working on chainsaws and weedeaters when i had my small engine repair shop.Im sure the 20 to 1 oil ratios didnt help .I think steel wool in an exhaust is a bad idea.Baffles are the way to go.

gunny11 01-07-2012 02:02 PM

It was 52° f today and I ran my engine on a test stand. All I have to say is what a sweet little engine. The engine consistently starts on one to three flips. Depending on how long it sat. Always starts on the first flip within 15 minutes. If I let it sit for an hour or more it needs to be re-choked. Getting back to it after I let sit for the hour. I needed to choke it. I tried closing the choke and it wouldn't close. The choke screw backed out! Now that has never happened to me before. Thank goodness that the screw is deformed so it wont fall out. I re-tightened it and all is good now. I will go back to it later and red lock-tite it in. On a balanced xoar 18X8 laminate prop I was getting 8,000 top end and a steady 1,800 rpm's on the low end. Just a little vibration at the half way point (4,000 rpm) but I haven't touched the needles yet. I have four 10 minute run intervals on it so far with the stock ignition module and cap. I haven't checked the timing on it as far as where it is set. Fuel used is 93 octane at 32:1 with Penzoil air cooled (fossil) oil.
So far so good. I will be running it more weather,temperature and neighbor permitting lol. But it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be.

Engines I have run;
ZDZ 40, ZDZ 80 twin, RCS 22 x2, RCS 44 twin, RCS 30 x2, DA 50, Revelution 52, Zenoah G38, Quadra 42 and now PTE-36

Subscribed,

Gunny

Rocketman_ 01-07-2012 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: 3136

Hey Rocketman,

Regards Mark
Hey 3136,
I have news for you. The temperature was 50 deg today so I took the Giles 202 out to fly and had to tolerate it's sluggish slow motion performance with the Xoar 20x6 prop turning 6300 rpm. On the last flight the engine sounded stronger and the Giles performed better. After landing I throttled up and read the internal tach and it showed 7100 rpm. That number was confirmed by my hand-held tach. Did the engine suddenly break in and get better? Nope. One of the two restrictors had fallen out of the muffler and allowed it to breathe.
I believe that the sound level may be tolerable with one restrictor missing from this new muffler because it has smaller pipes than the old muffler.

helodrvr 01-07-2012 03:44 PM

Rocketman,

6300 and even 7100 sound a little low for a 20X6 prop on this engine. You sure it was a 20X6? I got 8700 from this engine on a Mejzlik 20X6 and my DLE30 will turn it around 7900 rpm.