RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10672914-has-anyone-tried-new-pte36r.html)

CAT POwer 05-11-2012 07:09 PM

RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt"><font size="3"><font face="Calibri">Ok, I had problems with my engine and send it back to the dealer. Got it back and it started running rough again after 12oz of fuel . The dealer send me a new engine and I just ran it 2 tanks (20oz) through it. These 2 engines are like day and night with the new one idle at 1500 and wide open at 7600 on a 19x8, 3/5 flips to start. So far so good time will tell.

</p></font></font></p>

gplarry 05-12-2012 05:27 PM

I flew my SBach with the PTE36 today.

It started easily and ran great.

It seemed happy with the Xoar 19X8 but I kept it rich and did not push it too much.

I think it already turns the 19X8 prop better than the DLE30 turns the same prop.

The only problem I had was one that could have been a disaster to the engine.

By the second flight the Choke plate screw loosened to the point that it was almost out.

Any more flying and the engine would probably have injested the screw.

I put the screw back in with blue loctite and will keep an eye on it.

If you have a PTE30 that screw would be something to check.

Larry

Larry

gunny11 05-12-2012 07:28 PM

My screw backed out too on the test stand. The upset end would'nt have made it fall out.

kork 05-13-2012 03:40 AM

locktite the choke plate screw and do not forget to check the head bolts!!!! we just bench run a brand new pte and the head bolts were 1 1/2 turns loose.(oil comming out of the head gasket) then after that we noticed the choke plate rotated 90 degrees because the screw came loose. the muffler that came with the engine was poorly welded, One of the stacks were 1/4 inch barried into the muffler box. The performance was amaizing though. 8100 rpm's with a 19/8 prop, started in 1 or 2 flips. I will wait and see how the engine does after a gallon or two?
jason

kork 05-13-2012 03:44 AM

reply to the last post: I forgot that my friend purchased a jtec pitts muffler for this engine so i dont know if that also helped with the 8100 rpm's, sounded great
jason

CAT POwer 05-13-2012 06:18 AM

kork,  whats the name on the prop and what jtec muffler was used ?
Thanks

Rocketman_ 05-13-2012 06:35 AM

I can verify the 8100 RPM that some people are seeing. My PTE36R turned 8140 RPM with the stock muffler on the first time at the flying field. Never ran it on the bench. The prop was a Xoar 19-3DA.

On the subject of screws falling out of the carb, shouldn't Walbro be responsible for assembling their carbs correctly?

kork 05-13-2012 03:32 PM

Cat power, the muffler was a jtec compact box muffler, and the prop was a Biela 19/8 carbon fiber prophe bought from TBM
jason

CAT POwer 05-13-2012 06:26 PM

Thanks kork,  how much louder is the jtec compact box muffler ?

gplarry 05-13-2012 06:45 PM

MattK

Based on my experience, you may want to locktite the choke plate screw and check the other engine screws to be sure all is tight.

Mine barely has enough compression to pop when you flip it over but it still starts easily with an electric starter and runs great.

It has more power than the DLE30 on the 19X8 prop and has good strong throttle response all through the range.

The engine had practically zero compression right out of the box until I put a few drops of oil in the cylinder.

Hand starting mine is trickier than hand starting my DLE 30.

The mild compression makes it easy for a standard 12volt starter to start it.

I expect that compression will gradually increase as it breaks in.

I am curious how yours handles the tuned pipe.

Larry

MTK 05-14-2012 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: gplarry

Larry

Larry,

I have a test bed and a header for testing. Just need to install the engine/pipe and run it. Intend to run an XOAR 19x10 laminated on it.

Good to know about "loctiting" the various screws.

I'll tellya tho, the more I run the OS33GT the better I like it....It will be hard act to follow

MTK 05-17-2012 06:56 AM

MattK

Based on my experience, you may want to locktite the choke plate screw and check the other engine screws to be sure all is tight.

Larry
Larry,

I took the engine apart last night to inspect and reseat all the screws. The engine was fine inside and it looked like the Redwing guys ran it before shipping it.

I noticed that the reed block aluminum casting (aluminum was not expected btw) was a bit rough so I filed all the flashing, cleaning up and smoothing the ports and refacing the reed seats. Flashing removal probably opened the reed areas by 5% maybe a bit more. Should help the engine breathe better.

The carbon cloth reeds were also unexpected; plenty stiff and strong for the application. They sat fine on the refaced block. I added a piece of thin flat stock under both reed mounting screws. Screws were blue loctited firmly, not that they would or could come off. The intake casing fits snug ariound these screws.

I then loctited all other screws, included both that secure the throttle and choke plates to their respective bars. On my engine these were secure but blue loctite is cheap insurance. BTW- all other bolts were secure on my copy but again, I loctited them for extra security

gplarry 05-17-2012 07:05 PM

MattK

It sounds like you got a good one this time.

I did not clean up the reed box but I think I will go back and do that.

My first couple of tanks were on airplane fuel (gas) with synthetic oil.

I am debating following instructions and running two or three gallons with break in oil.

I guess I will run the rest of the gallon as-is then decide whether to change.

It is running really well as is.

I am still considering buying an OS 33.

Right now they are on backorder so I do not have to rush to decide.

Larry

Brian Smith 05-19-2012 07:25 AM

Hi Cap'n
Wonder why the motor lover of all time would say this? Just curious? Thanks Brian

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Has anyone tried the new PTE36R?

No I have not...and not going too! Capt,n

gplarry 05-20-2012 03:09 PM

So far I have about an hour and a half on the PTE36.

Compression is getting better and hand starting is easier.

Idle, throttle response and power are all great.

The engine seems to be a keeper.

I have a macs silent pipe for a 120 (20cc) size engine.

Too bad I do not have one for a 36cc engine.

Larry

captinjohn 05-20-2012 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

Hi Cap'n
Wonder why the motor lover of all time would say this? Just curious? Thanks Brian

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Has anyone tried the new PTE36R?

No I have not...and not going too! Capt,n

I guess I was in a bad mood that day...heck of a lot of lumbar pain does this...just when its the time oy year evrthing needs to be done. Well I am all ears...can somebody sume this PTE36 Rall up ...and post the summary. Thanks Capt,n

MTK 05-21-2012 05:54 AM

So far I have about an hour and a half on the PTE36.

Compression is getting better and hand starting is easier.

Idle, throttle response and power are all great.

The engine seems to be a keeper.

I have a macs silent pipe for a 120 (20cc) size engine.

Too bad I do not have one for a 36cc engine.

Larry
Larry,

I think the Macs header for the OS140RX will fit the 36; but I am not 100% sure. I'll check and let you know. If yes, you can get one from Tower. The mounting holes will need to be re-drilled for 5 mm bolts

The 120 sized pipe could be a little small. But as a check, you could try it and see. We have used teflon tube as couplers (from McMaster Carr). Difficult to seal tho. If you opt for this approach, let me recommend that you drill and tap header and pipe stem for 2-3 button head screws; 1/8" x 4-40s work great. The button heads will keep you coupler, pipe and header together with minimal effort. You want to start with the pipe main reflector baffle set 27 1/2" from the center of the head.

My favorite is something I make myself from ceramic braid and Permatex Ultra Copper sealant. Stands up to the heat great and seals super. Both of these are McMaster Carr items. Or, if you are interested, PM me; we could work something out since I have all materials already

The pipe of choice for me is the ES Composites 30G or 40G carbon pipe, except it is very pricy at around $210. A good pipe if you can get one is the Mintor 37cc pipe.... aluminum. I got one from Area 51 Distribution in the UK. It is just a bit heavier at 5 ozs but cost was very reasonable at around $120 delivered.

I ran my OS33GT with an apc 20x10.5 PN this weekend at the contest. Really excellent combo. The PTE should be able to turn that prop too, if piped and after full break in

captinjohn 05-21-2012 06:11 AM

ORIGINAL: gwweber

I have a video of great planes ultimate 160 with a pte36. I am a nub flier started last late spring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTETe...p;feature=plcp
this is with a 18-8 breakin prop will try a 19-8 when i get my new muffler. BTW I sent my old muffler to Bisson and he is going to make a muffler, mine will bea large can as my field hates loud planes, and the pte is pretty loud.
I tried the video...a big SORRY ITHASBEENREMOVED came up????

gplarry 05-21-2012 07:03 PM

I have a VENUS 2 with a DLE20 that is getting broken in.

My plan was to put the 20cc quiet pipe on it.

The pipe is MACS 1090 and is actually for .80 to 1.20 glow so I doubt if it would be enough for the PTE36.

I did find a listing for the header for the OS140RX.

If you think it will fit the PTE36 I may go ahead and grab that.

I have a 78" Extra that is kit built and nearly complete.

It may need the extra power of the tuned pipe even with the 36.

The stainless steel muffler I bought with the PTE36 seems to let the engine breathe well but it is a bit loud.

Our field is in the city but in a floodway.

The houses are a good ways away.

But one day someone will probably complain.

Larry

gplarry 05-24-2012 10:34 AM

MattK,

I won a MACS 4745 header in an auction. It is the 2.25" rise version.
If I can get it to fit the PTE36 I will consider running the engine on a tuned pipe.
I am still looking for a pipe that will work. I have never run a tuned pipe on a gasser.
I assume that the silicone connector will not work with gasoline and the higher heat.

MTK 05-24-2012 01:13 PM

MattK,

I won a MACS 4745 header in an auction. It is the 2.25'' rise version.
If I can get it to fit the PTE36 I will consider running the engine on a tuned pipe.
I am still looking for a pipe that will work. I have never run a tuned pipe on a gasser.
I assume that the silicone connector will not work with gasoline and the higher heat.
Larry,

I sent you a PM with details. One thing about running a gas engine in this size on pipe, it sounds no different than a glow engines does on pipe. In other words it sounds nothing like typical gas engines on mufflers.....much quieter

kork 05-26-2012 03:24 AM

Capt,n
my summary goes like this, The first engine was sent back to the dealer because It would not start after 2 hours flipping, then the ignition also quit working.
The second engine had loose head bolts and the choke plate almost fell off, after we got it running it ran real strong (8100) with a 19x8 carbon fiber prop.
The first flite, ok, the second flite lost compression and the engine was sent back to the dealer. Just bad luck maybe. It sounds like there aresomegood PTE's out there, but not at my address.
The dealer is A+!I have 3 dle 30's and a 20cc all from the same dealer, and they all run perfect, so I will stick with DLE. My 2 cents
jason

ps get in line, new dle (30 something) rear exhaust comming soon

octanehuffer 05-26-2012 07:23 PM

DA 35 also coming soon

pulsar110 05-27-2012 06:30 PM

So after reading this thread and thinkin about it for a while I purchased one of these and had great service in getting the engine. The good experience pretty much ends there for me. I have to admit that Im not the most expereinced in gas engines, Iv had a DLA 56 that ran ok and an Evo 45GX2 that runs like a dream. I mounted this engine on a Goldwing MXSR and the exhaust pipes were about a 1/2" short so I put some extentions on, which then just broke the weld on the muffler pipe. Got another one to replace it with. After that the little screw on the choke came out (same as mentioned before), fortunatley I caught it before it was ingested. The threads in one of the standoffs stripped out without cranking on the screw very hard. The last flight ended with a deadstick and hard landing that broke the spark plug and damaged the cap. I fixed the cap and replaced the plug. While putting things back together I discovered that one of the screw holding the hall sensor was loose, tried to tighten it only to find that there were no threads in the hole to screw into, they were stripped. The manual says that the stock carb settings are 1.5 turns on the low needle and 2 turns on the high. This wouldnt even think of starting at those settings and ended up being almost 3 turns on the low and 2.5 on the high. It wont even start now, sputters but wont run. Iv tried everything I can think of but nothin. Im quite disaapointed in this engine at this point.

gunny11 05-27-2012 11:58 PM

How long ago did you buy the engine, and from where?