RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10672914-has-anyone-tried-new-pte36r.html)

Super08 09-22-2011 06:44 AM

RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

3136's muffler is in post #27. Nothing like yours.

tom_sandiego 09-22-2011 06:55 AM

Super08, I mean derjager's engine. I wonder why they changes the muffler from Aluminum to steel maybe cost reduction? :D

derjager 09-22-2011 07:06 AM

Hi,
I,m not sure what mufflers yours came with but mine looks good. I have a very slight leak where the screws go in to the muffler ( I just looked !!)

Do you think you are running your engine at too high an RPM. If you are getting those rpms on an 18x10 then you have a very powerful motor.

I would put a bigger prop on it. At least 19 inch or 20x6 (Depending on the clearance you have) and bring the rpms down to around 7000rpm and unload to 7300 ish in the air(this will reduce the noise profile as well)

I,m not sure what the optimum propeller is on this one yet as I have more than adequate performance for what i need. I,ll play around with props and make some suggestions. We are the Xoar and Falcon prop distributors for the USA so we are not short of props!!!

Best wishes

Steve

3136 09-22-2011 01:29 PM

Hi Tom Sandiego, the agent here in Australia was supplied the engines and exhaust the same as yours, however he didn't like the exhaust and makes his own to supply with the engines he sells.
If you contact him he might make one up for you???
I have no idea what he would charge for a muffler alone though.
http://www.wolfmodels.net/index.html

Rocketman_ 09-22-2011 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: derjager
-Nice looking engine and particularly liked the rear exhaust setup. Very neat and cost effective as there is no need to buy an aftermarket muffler
Does it really provide some noise reduction or is it the usual noise maker supplied with most gas engines? Remember, many of us fly in populated areas where it is required that we buy aftermarket mufflers to remove some of the "bark" from our engine's exhaust note.

tom_sandiego 09-22-2011 02:56 PM

Hi Steve, that's what i got the RPM with 18X10 Master aircrew prop unless my tachometer bad i will check again with different tachometer to see if i get the same RPM also i will test with 20X8 APC but i don't think i can use that due to clearance of my airplane. Any way I'm happy with the engine :D

@3136 I talk to Mike @ ibcinyou where i bought the engine and he said he working with the manufacture to make a better muffler for this engine but won't be available til mid October he currently have a local shop fabricating the muffler make with Stainless steel tubing and he will send me one as soon as he has on hand. For now I just weld the broken one to run and wait for the new one from Mike

Super08 09-22-2011 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: derjager
-Nice looking engine and particularly liked the rear exhaust setup. Very neat and cost effective as there is no need to buy an aftermarket muffler
Does it really provide some noise reduction or is it the usual noise maker supplied with most gas engines? Remember, many of us fly in populated areas where it is required that we buy aftermarket mufflers to remove some of the ''bark'' from our engine's exhaust note.
This is a quote off of the Wolf sight...
"Available now with a new muffled Pitts muffler, 94db, manufactured in Australia by Wolf Models."

aussiesteve 09-22-2011 04:15 PM

94dB is still pretty loud. Most fields that have an actual limit set have it at 88dB or below.

3136 09-22-2011 11:51 PM

Hey Steve, well I'm glad my club doesn't have any restrictions.
How does that compare to the dle30? I recall they were 98db or so with the stock "can"
I put a canister on mine, which improved it a little, I can't measure it but it's certainly quieter.
I'll see how the 36 compares tomorrow depending on wheather.

apalsson 09-23-2011 12:43 AM

3136, let me chime in here if I may

Engine noise is basically from 3 main sources and you would be suprised how small a portion of that has to do with the muffler arrangement
You have prop noise, directly related to the max RPM speed, or the speed required to reach the peak of the torque curve
You then have combustion noise and exhaust noise

Mufflers not tuned to the particular engine but built on a "rule of thumb volume estimate" tend to either rob power or do little to suppress noise (or more likely both).
Pitts style mufflers (well, most anyway) tend to do worst when it comes to robbing power from the engine because in most cases, little thought seems to be put into proper flows and back pressure

Because the vast majority of Chinese made engines have their peak power output at high RPM, they subsequently tend to be noisier than their counterparts with peak output at lower RPM.
To make matters worse, most people have limited understanding of power output vs torque and therefore stare at max RPM on a given prop and thus tend to under prop their engines.
Better quality engines tend to work on larger props than their counterparts in the same size

I noticed your comments regarding your field not having restrictions.
MAAA have guidelines regarding acceptable engine noise and unless I'm mistaken, those "guidelines" will become rules very quickly.
It is also risky to rely on "my field has no restrictions" because sadly, all it takes is one complaint and we seem to have to prove ourselves innocent

Therefore, at all times be mindful of the overall noise from your engine unless your field is very far from any potential complainant

bobbee015 09-23-2011 08:08 PM

Hi Ari. Tha MAAA noise limit is 96dB and that is why we designed the Pitts muffler for the PTE36R to be below that. We achieved 94dB which i am happy with and it does not rob any power.

Bob

apalsson 09-23-2011 08:19 PM

Hey Bob,

I don't want to drift off topic too much, but the MAAA still have not been able to mandate a specific noise level but have instead set out guidelines on how to measure aircraft noise.
For people like myself with a professional background in this field, those guidelines are a bit funny and in some cases even conflict with accepted science regarding definitions and measurements of sound volume and propagation.

Here is the actual "Noise Policy"
http://www.maaa.asn.au/maaa/mop/poli...e%20Policy.pdf

General rules and guidelines ( http://www.maaa.asn.au/maaa/mop/proc...EL%20RULES.pdf ) also say nothing about acrual noise levels

Makes for a lovely but boring bedtime reading!

Where do you have the 96dB from?
Could it be Qld State Association rules?

3136 09-23-2011 09:01 PM

Hi Apalsson, I found those articles last night, it seems quite hard to determine anything unless a site test is done.
Anyway I like to keep my planes as quiet as possible, that's why I put a canister on my mustang, my stuka has a dle 30, which is way overpowered so I can fly it easily at 1/4 throttle.
The extra will be way overpowered with the 36, so again I can keep the revs down.
We are next to a full size airfield and the other side has a shotgun club so I don't think the neighbours will complain, but I like to keep my planes as quiet as possible.

Sadly I took the extra to the field today but it was too windy for a maiden, maybe tomorrow.

Regards Mark

apalsson 09-23-2011 09:12 PM

Hi Mark,

Best of luck with your maiden tomorrow

aussiesteve 09-24-2011 02:24 AM

Mark
Also fom me, good luck with the maiden, Video please :)
You have hit the nail right on the head with regards to the best place of all to start on noise reduction. You mention you have at least 2 planes that fly on low throttle settings, that wil do more in a single hit on noise reduction than anything else.
Yet we constantly see engines advertised as allegedly having a load of power because they spin XXX prop at YYY RPM - never on how they work at lower rpm or a range of throttle settings.

Most clubs or events that I have seen with noise policies have them as well below 90 DB, usually it is 86 and I know of a couple that have set 82 at 3 metres (which is near impossible to obtain with any I.C. Engine used in our hobby).

Anyway, back on track now - good luck with the maiden of the PTE 36R and lert us know how it goes.

3136 09-25-2011 03:57 AM

Well boys, I did the maiden, it was a little tail heavy but after 3 flights it was sorted out.
The 36 liked to be choked every time I started it, and funnily it likes to be hand started, the electric starter may have flooded it.
Anyway after working that out it, starts as easily as the dle30, within 1 to 3 flips after choke.
It sounds much nicer than the dle30 and it's certainly quieter, which I like.
Keep in mind I'm not using the pte muffler though.
I had one of the other fellas fly it while I did the video on my phone. (sorry for the bad footage)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJn9qHQFjL8

So a general reveiw, it looks nice, starts well, (I recommend hand flip and choke each time, but that may have to do with tuning)
Sounds good, I had a lot of comments of how nice it sounded, although the phone camera didn't pick it up well.
Smooth transition even when not broken in.
It's light and the rear carb and rear exhaust is nice, if this turns out well I'll replace the dle30 in my mustang with a 36.
So ask me again at the end of the flying season as I plan to use this plane a lot, it flys really well and the 36 is plenty more than it needs.
Basically for one of the cheaper brand motors it looks very promising, but if it turns out to be a dud, I'll let you know.

Dle have a good product, if these guys can match quality, the extra power and rear exhaust will bring a lot of sales I think.

But like with anything new it needs a few guinea pigs, my initial feeling is a thumbs up.

Regards Mark

BlackPhantomDragon 09-25-2011 05:14 AM

Great to hear Mark.

Like the look of the engine.
Have you seen Brian Winches article in Airborne about the silicon tape to tape the muffler with, Should deaden the noise of the hot exhaust gas hitting the thin muffler martial and causing a type of echo effect, the tape basically absorbs the blat noise of the exhaust. You can get the stuff (different name) from bunnings for about $10-14 as well as boat accessory places.

Would be interesting if it would quieten the can noise down any more.

Link below for rescue tape.
http://www.rescuetapeaustralia.com.au/

Regards Greg

3136 09-25-2011 02:45 PM

Hi Greg, I didn't see that article, thanks for the idea.

If you buy it from bunnings it's called tommy tape, they have it in red and black.
I have some of that, I use it to go over the joins on 4 stroke glow engine mufflers.
If you strip a thread on the aluminium muffler a bit of jb weld and tommy tape over the top works well.

Using it around a muffler sounds like a sensible idea, the dle has a very thin muffler, it looks like the stock pte one is as well.

You probably all know already but if anyone uses this stuff clean the area meticulously, don't have greasy hands and stretch it a lot as you wrap it around.
When you want to finish the joint pull it tight till it breaks off, don't cut it and just flop it over.

Regards Mark

helodrvr 09-25-2011 03:06 PM

Mark,

I am looking at buying one of these engines. I see from you post, that so far it has been a good engine. Have you ran it any more since the maiden? What prop and RPM?

Thanks

Ibcinyou! 09-25-2011 03:15 PM

Hi guys,
I have 10 flights on my mxsr with a pte36r engine, 19x8 Falcon prop, 7600 rpm. Awesome performance! I will be posting another youtube video soon on this plane. Another buddy of mine bought one for his Yak55M. 15 plus flights with a 20x10 xoar prop. Look me up if you would like to get one of these engines. www.ibcinyourc.com I am located in St. Louis, Missouri. I have 12 of these engines in stock!
Thanks

3136 09-25-2011 03:16 PM

Hi helodrvr,
I haven't run it since, the maiden was yesterday.
I used a 19 by 8 falcon wood prop, I don't have any rpm but it really wouldn't mean much as it depends on tuning atmosphere etc etc.
If you are looking in the dle30 type category this looks to be a good engine, certainly with a lot more grunt and about the same price.
I got mine from wolf in Australia who supplies them with a stronger muffler, so keep that in mind when you view my video.
Now I'm off to work.

Regards Mark

tom_sandiego 09-25-2011 05:20 PM

helodrvr,

I bought this engine from Mike at www.ibcinyourc.com for my Pitts Monster, 9 flight total with 18X10 prop and no problem so far, this engine has a lot power then i need and very easy to start, I like the rear muffler design that fit perfect for my airplane the only issue is the muffler is not a great quality and can be break at the flange, Mike he aware that and he has been working with PTE to change that. Anyway the engine is excellent but the muffler need improvement. I'm waiting from him to send me a muffler that he made to replace the stock one.

Tom

scale only 4 me 09-26-2011 05:23 AM

Mike,
Please keep us up to date on the muffler issue, I just started a 79" span Mustang and will be wanting a 35-40c RE for it. I was concidering a ZDZ, I probably won't get around to buying one for a while, not until over the winter some time more than likely. But I've seen this same muffler breaking issue on the DLE 55s with those cheap Pitts mufflers. That keeps me from buying those too. Why they cast those so paper thing is a mystery,, too concerned with weight I guess.

Looks like a nice motor,, very tempted

Ibcinyou! 09-26-2011 06:29 AM

I will have some stainless steel ones very soon, like in a few days from now. I need to send one to Tom S.
I will be able to send you one as well if you want to order an engine? As I stated in previously PTE will have a better quality muffler available Oct 15 and I will be getting those in. But in the meantime I will have the stainless steel ones which are built like a tank.

scale only 4 me 09-26-2011 07:39 AM

I love to see what the muffler looks like prior to ordering,,Thanks