RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   100 OCTANE aviation fuel in gasser (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11005338-100-octane-aviation-fuel-gasser.html)

Truckracer 03-23-2012 07:48 AM

RE: 100 OCTANE aviation fuel in gasser

ORIGINAL: TimBle

You are going to have trouble with AVGAS at some point down the line but I guess we all have to knock our own heads.
<br type=''_moz'' />
It is truly amazing how some modelers will go out of their way to create problems where problems don't otherwise exist! This thread is right up there with some of those highly entertaining oil threads.

TimBle 03-23-2012 11:00 AM

for some without their self inflicted problems there would be no hobby...

Desertlakesflying 03-23-2012 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

ORIGINAL: Desertlakesflying

110 race runs realllllllly good in the Evolution 40GX.

Runs smoother, cooler, and produces more power than regular.
Compared to what? Regular? I would not even dare to run that fuel unless at least 4000' up in a mountain range. Tthe 40GX needs 90 - 91 PON octane minimum!
I found no difference whatsoever running the engine on the prescribed 95 RON gas or running on Shell V-power 100 RON gas.
For gas octane ratings, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Compared to regular 91 octane ....guess my fingers didn't do what my mind wanted them to.

We are at 5000' where we fly.

pe reivers 03-23-2012 01:32 PM

91 octane in your country is premium fuel, not regular.
At your altitude you can get away with 87octane regular though due to the lower effective compression ratio. I also can imagine that you would benefit from better fuel because with regular, the engine ran at the ragged edge of beginning detonation which always stands for power loss.

tallone66 03-23-2012 04:52 PM

My 2c worth on the question.
Can you run avgas: Yes, you can, but why would you want to.
Will it hurt my engine: No not likely, nothing thete to hurt it, but you will have to keep an eye on lead buildup on the comb chamber and the crown of the piston.
Although you have avgas available, it should not be your first choise for fuel, unless you can not get REGULAR fuel. The lead is in it for anti knock issues( Who wants there full scale detonating at 10000 ft) plus burn charicteristics. Unless you do supporting mods to your engine to take full advantage of the octain of the fuel, You WILL loose performance, and it could be quite a substatial loss as well. It will most likely run hotter, due to the fact that it would behave like you retarded your ignition timing ( The slower burn rate would have it burning well after tdc) which is not good. ( That could cause erosion on the exaust side od the piston crown).
The best thing you can run, is the LOWEST octain fuel without detonation, this will give you the best performance all around.
Setting up your engine to run well on avgas can be done, but the supporting mods ( Higher compression, Port timing, Tuned pipe ect......) would cost a few bucks for sure, and then My choise of fuel would still not be avgas, but c10 instead.
Cheers
Derrick

kmeyers 03-24-2012 04:01 AM

ORIGINAL: tallone66

My 2c worth on the question.
Can you run avgas: Yes, you can, but why would you want to.
Will it hurt my engine: No not likely, nothing thete to hurt it, but you will have to keep an eye on lead buildup on the comb chamber and the crown of the piston.
Although you have avgas available, it should not be your first choise for fuel, unless you can not get REGULAR fuel. The lead is in it for anti knock issues( Who wants there full scale detonating at 10000 ft) plus burn charicteristics. Unless you do supporting mods to your engine to take full advantage of the octain of the fuel, You WILL loose performance, and it could be quite a substatial loss as well. It will most likely run hotter, due to the fact that it would behave like you retarded your ignition timing ( The slower burn rate would have it burning well after tdc) which is not good. ( That could cause erosion on the exaust side od the piston crown).
The best thing you can run, is the LOWEST octain fuel without detonation, this will give you the best performance all around.
Setting up your engine to run well on avgas can be done, but the supporting mods ( Higher compression, Port timing, Tuned pipe ect......) would cost a few bucks for sure, and then My choise of fuel would still not be avgas, but c10 instead.
Cheers
Derrick
Great Post! Thank you. More than 2c's worth. I can't think of a dollar amount to put on it, but, very much more than 2 cents.

captinjohn 03-24-2012 12:52 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Here is what Rotax says about aviation fuel intheir engines for ultra lights and home built aircraft.

[quote]</p>

Aviation Fuels</p>

It is possible but not recommended to use 100LL AVGAS, since the the lead content will increase deposits in the combustion chamber and on crankshaft ball bearings, inducing premature wear. Its higher octane rating does not bring any significant advantage to the engine's operation,

Wo cares what Rotax says. Not the same engine we use an we do not run wide open like home built aircraft engines do.</p>

Sport_Pilot 03-26-2012 04:30 AM

Dessert Aircraft says not to run AVGAS and doing so will void their warranty. So I suspect they agree with Rotax. I don't see how a constant load will be more harmfull. In fact Iwould think a constant load well above 50% power would be benificial as it would help burn off the lead. IMO our constant up down throttling would only make matters worse.

TimBle 03-27-2012 03:07 AM

correct SP.

MTK 03-27-2012 08:22 AM

ORIGINAL: comanche260c

OK I loaded the taylorcraft with av gas today with 100LL.It has a Zenoha 26 in it. Ran like poop.When i gave it throttle wasnt smooth and couldnt get it to idle without stalling in 1 minute. Tryed adjusting needle valves but got frustrated, Put 87 octaine in it and doesnt stall no matter what i do. Ok why is that?is it the slower flash in the gas? motor has ignition built into it ,no electronic ignition.. Is there a way i could of adjusted timing? How about my quadra 75 with eletronic ignition will that be a diffrent animal
The first time I tried Avgas I had a similar issue on my piped Syssa 30 cc. The engine just ran fat on the needle settings I was using with regular auto gas. Once realizing what the problem was and leaning both needles, no more problems.... Not with the Syssas, all of them, the OS33, Mintor 38, DLE55, ZDZ40, or BME58 Xtreme. One thing to note about Avgas, every 15 gallons give or take, I remove and clean the spark plug. Other than that, no other maintenance has been required and I use my engines pretty hard with larger loads than most use and fly some of them often. My oil is MC1 motorcycle racing synthetic from Bel Ray, 50:1

pe reivers 03-27-2012 09:59 AM

In the old days when we used to have leaded gas, a spark plug brush was a needed part of equipment when riding a scooter or moped. Those lead whiskers between the plug electrodes sometimes formed quite quickly.

unclecrash 03-31-2012 07:46 PM

I keep hearing this your engines are made to run on 87 octane, it wont idle, it ran like crap, the manufacturer ,have to advance the timing , the compression is too low for are rc engines, what a bunch of crap..... My DLE instructions say run on 93 octane and that the engine is 10-1/2 to 1 don't see low to me maybe if you are running a drag car back in the 1970's its on the low side. All im saying is I took my dle 20 straight out the box, hooked it up, put in the the 100LL, and went out side fired up, ran it up to full put a quick tune on it went to idle ran fine right down to 1800 rpm right up to mid 8000rpm's with NO ISSUE's what so ever. And my hands don't stink like gas Next you will be saying Im going to blow it up because I didn't do as the manufacturer said and run it for 2 hours at 4500rpm What another big pile of crap. My friends and I have pulled brand new bikes out and run the piss out of them right from jump street LOL you know what are saying was she is either going to go or she will blow and that didn't happen [8D] :)

TimBle 04-01-2012 08:06 AM

93 RON is what the DLE is designed to run on.<div>assuming a sensitivitgy of 10 thats (93+83)/2 = 88AKI in the USA.</div><div>More doesn't hurt but the lead sure does.</div><div>
</div><div>If you want to run AVGAS then do what you like. A question was asked whether its a good idea or not and reasons why its not were given by people who know what they're talking about. Reasons not to care where given by some who apparently used AVGAS and had no issues was also given.</div><div>
</div><div>My experience in the hobby is that RC pilots don</div><div>t give  ahoot about safety or their own health so I guess people are going to do what they want whether you present facts or not..</div>

unclecrash 04-01-2012 11:40 AM

I know lead is bad but like I say so are there many things as bad or worst. And if it is that bad tell me this why does the EPA and our government let the airports let it rain down on us every day !!!

TimBle 04-01-2012 02:10 PM

hey buddy, if you think its good that good for you.<div>
</div><div>The EPA want lead out of all fuel incl AVGAS. There's just too many old engines around that still requires lead. THose engines are being worked out of the system and once that happens an unleaded AVGAS can be safely used. Right now they think its just too risky.</div><div>The Brasilians use an E25 AVGAS, no lead. Their full size panes don't fall from the sky.</div><div>
</div><div>But you like Lead, then do what you want to do but try not to ignore facts by burying your head in the sand.</div>

unclecrash 04-01-2012 02:48 PM

Fact one I ain't your buddy!! Fact two my head ain't in no sand Fact three they have been letting lead rain on us for years without doing nothing about it !!! I ain't ignoring the facts like I said my friend has been running it for 10 years and will probably be dead and gone and will probably never have problems with the lead. So from your point of view it is OK for them to keep using it in there planes until a later time. When they decide to phase it out. And don't get your panties in a pinch because we our intitled to our opinions just like you our yours.:D Fact of the matter iss our governments don't give squat if your or I croak today tomorrow or ten years from now. All they care about is filling there greedy pockets full of money, even if it is killing every damn one of us period.

airraptor 04-01-2012 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: unclecrash

Fact one I ain't your buddy!! Fact two my head ain't in no sand Fact three they have been letting lead rain on us for years without doing nothing about it !!! I ain't ignoring the facts like I said my friend has been running it for 10 years and will probably be dead and gone and will probably never have problems with the lead. So from your point of view it is OK for them to keep using it in there planes until a later time. When they decide to phase it out. And don't get your panties in a pinch because we our intitled to our opinions just like you our yours.:D Fact of the matter iss our governments don't give squat if your or I croak today tomorrow or ten years from now. All they care about is filling there greedy pockets full of money, even if it is killing every damn one of us period.

How does this apply to the OP's question.

Some people like to stir the pot.

I will never run AVGAS in engine that wasnt designed for it!!!

TimBle 04-01-2012 10:10 PM

so you have noting positive to contribute then,......well ok
<br type="_moz" />

unclecrash 04-02-2012 09:52 AM

Allready put my positive about 100ll Fact it don't make the diaphrams brittle. Fact it does not stink you out of your car. Fact airplanes have used it for ever and were all still here. Fact I can leave it in the tank forever and it don't go bad like regular gas. Fact yes there is lead in it, but there are far worse things in this world, like the chemo in my body!!!

pe reivers 04-02-2012 12:42 PM

The pro's and con's have already been covered in full.

unclecrash 04-02-2012 01:38 PM

I agree totally.:D

MTK 04-10-2012 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: MTK

The first time I tried Avgas I had a similar issue on my piped Syssa 30 cc. The engine just ran fat on the needle settings I was using with regular auto gas. Once realizing what the problem was and leaning both needles, no more problems.... Not with the Syssas, all of them, the OS33, Mintor 38, DLE55, ZDZ40, or BME58 Xtreme. One thing to note about Avgas, every 15 gallons give or take, I remove and clean the spark plug. Other than that, no other maintenance has been required and I use my engines pretty hard with larger loads than most use and fly some of them often. My oil is MC1 motorcycle racing synthetic from Bel Ray, 50:1
I no longer fly out of a side lot of a local airport so getting avgas has become much less convenient. Just ran out last weekend and decided to go back to autogas for a couple gallons. Went straight to premium this time, still 50:1 MC1 oil mix

Was quite surprised to see a significant increase in output over avgas...My set-ups are all piped so the info I present may not apply to mufflers, I don't know, I've never run mufflers on my gassies.

Anyway, the trial engine is the OS33GT, and props are 18x10 3 blade Mezjlik and 20x10 2 blade MDK Hybrid (carbon laminated wood). The Mezjlik 3 blader was turned at 8200 or about 500 rpm faster than it turned on avgas; the MDK was turned at 7950 or about 600 rpm faster than it turned on avgas.... Premium gas is far easier and more convenient to get so I may just return to autogas. I'll see how the remainder of these couple gallons run.

My main reasons for running avgas were long tern stability, consistency in the recipe and complete lack of stinky smell. Premium gas doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as regular does but the other items, recipe consistency and long term stability will have to wait to be determined

Truckracer 04-10-2012 05:27 PM

Dang, I guess I'll have to go out and get me some premium gas and give it the old "sniff" test. Do you think a taste test would be in order too? ;)

comanche260c 04-10-2012 05:57 PM

Hi I started this post    Started  my g26 and g38  sunday on straight  100LL   didnt idle good or throttle up good at all.Than i mixed it 50/50  with 87 octaine. Purred like a kitten on 50/50 mix.  Then i  tryed to start my 75 quadra up  and  had  hard time getting it going  but it fired up  when i   tryed   start up on  1/3 throttle..Didnt run good on the  50/ 50 mix.Dont know why it didnt  maybe because its a older motor  I dont know how much time on it as i bought it  1 month ago.I didnt   adjust   either of my 3planes  carb adjustment or timing  but the zenoha  ran good  without any adjustments on 50/50mix.Maybe i will try   carb adjustment on the quadra  just for the hell of it.I suspect the slower front burn caused this with the quadra 75

unclecrash 04-10-2012 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: airraptor

How does this apply to the OP's question.

Some people like to stir the pot.

I will never run AVGAS in engine that wasnt designed for it!!!
Thats your choice if you do not want to run avgas!! And your opinion on the matter. As I have stated my opinion on the subject. If you don't like it to bad. I run avgas !! Now who really is the one stirring the pot. The one has said his opinion on the matter or the one who comes quoting me on the matter. And for the matter of pertaining to the OP question 90% of this thread does not pertain to his question.