RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   100 OCTANE aviation fuel in gasser (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11005338-100-octane-aviation-fuel-gasser.html)

MTK 04-10-2012 08:18 PM

RE: 100 OCTANE aviation fuel in gasser

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Dang, I guess I'll have to go out and get me some premium gas and give it the old ''sniff'' test. Do you think a taste test would be in order too? ;)
DAMIFINO...Quite the smartass remark but I expected no less from you....ON THE TASTE TEST, AS YOU PLEASE

MTK 04-17-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: MTK

Quote:

ORIGINAL: MTK

The first time I tried Avgas I had a similar issue on my piped Syssa 30 cc. The engine just ran fat on the needle settings I was using with regular auto gas. Once realizing what the problem was and leaning both needles, no more problems.... Not with the Syssas, all of them, the OS33, Mintor 38, DLE55, ZDZ40, or BME58 Xtreme. One thing to note about Avgas, every 15 gallons give or take, I remove and clean the spark plug. Other than that, no other maintenance has been required and I use my engines pretty hard with larger loads than most use and fly some of them often. My oil is MC1 motorcycle racing synthetic from Bel Ray, 50:1
I no longer fly out of a side lot of a local airport so getting avgas has become much less convenient. Just ran out last weekend and decided to go back to autogas for a couple gallons. Went straight to premium this time, still 50:1 MC1 oil mix

Was quite surprised to see a significant increase in output over avgas...My set-ups are all piped so the info I present may not apply to mufflers, I don't know, I've never run mufflers on my gassies.

Anyway, the trial engine is the OS33GT, and props are 18x10 3 blade Mezjlik and 20x10 2 blade MDK Hybrid (carbon laminated wood). The Mezjlik 3 blader was turned at 8200 or about 500 rpm faster than it turned on avgas; the MDK was turned at 7950 or about 600 rpm faster than it turned on avgas.... Premium gas is far easier and more convenient to get so I may just return to autogas. I'll see how the remainder of these couple gallons run.

My main reasons for running avgas were long tern stability, consistency in the recipe and complete lack of stinky smell. Premium gas doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as regular does but the other items, recipe consistency and long term stability will have to wait to be determined

Have run about a gallon of premium autogas in the OS33GT. The extra power is nice but completely unecessary in my application. The extra rpm (about 600 extra r's on a 20x10, up to almost 8,000 rpm) is causing an awful racket...lot's of air ripping. I don't like this stuff in my set-up. Back to Avgas for me

pe reivers 04-17-2012 01:41 PM

The engine turning so many more rpm on the same prop means it is happier with the fuel. Choose a different prop to make you happy, and let the engine tell you what it likes best.

earlwb 04-17-2012 01:48 PM

I have been using the SEF fuel that Powermaster sells. It is a gasoline without ethanol or other complex aromatic hydrocarbons, so it doesn't stink up everything with the gasoline smell that we get in my area. Home Depot and Lowe's hardware stores sell the Tru-Fuel version of the SEF fuel too. Since it has stabilizers in it, it doesn't go bad fast either. I think the sealed fuel can the SEF fuel comes in would keep the stuff indefinitely.  Unfortunately it does cost more though. But I don't have to drive to and from the flying field with the windows down in the car or cause a riot at home bringing a plane and engine inside to work on either.

pe reivers 04-18-2012 01:37 AM

Earl, I checked their web page, but only see glow engine fuels? (SEF=Small Engine Fuel)
Can you elaborate on the fuel type you use for gas engines?

captinjohn 04-18-2012 05:27 AM

Here in the USA this is the fuel you want...just read below. Capt,n
<hr />http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/2/AmericanFlag.jpg <font color="#336699">Station selling ethanol-free fuel sees soaring demand.</font>

<div style="background-image: url(http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/...0_Suitable.jpg); border-right-width: 0px; margin: 0px 5px; float: left; border-top-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px"><span><font color="#336699">http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/...0_Suitable.jpg</font></span></div>PATRICK PETERSON - <font color="#336699">FLORIDATODAY</font> - June 19, 2009

If demand is so high, why are politicians restricting availability? Ed.

Gasoline without ethanol has become a hot commodity for the only two vendors who sell it in Brevard County.

"We just recently started bringing it in because there's been such a hue and cry for it from the marinas," Ken Marshall, vice president of Glover Oil in Melbourne, said Thursday.

<span class="goog_qs-tidbit-0">Favored by boaters and motorcyclists, the fuel known as recreational gasoline</span> was put on sale to the public last month by Glover Oil.

"It's a more rare product," Marshall said. "A year ago, everything started going to ethanol."

"You don't get as much gas mileage with the ethanol in it and it clogs up your catalytic converter in your car and it ruins your boats," James Blizzard, 75, of Cape Canaveral said as he filled up his SUV at Neil's Riverside BP station in Melbourne, the other public source of non-ethanol gasoline in Brevard. "I get two or three miles per gallon more out of the ethanol-free gasoline."

"I'm down here from Cape Canaveral double-checking this out so I can be sure where it is," said Blizzard, who owns a 22-foot powerboat. "Then I'll bring my boat down here and fill it up."

Ethanol-free gas is 91 octane and is priced similar to premium gasoline, usually 10 to 20 cents more per gallon than mid-grade.

Some 80 to 90 percent of customers choose the cheaper gasoline with ethanol.

Peithman said his ethanol-free customers include a taxi company, whose owners claim to get seven extra miles per gallon, and lawn services, who say that ethanol clogs the carburetors of weed trimmers and lawn mowers

MTK 04-18-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

The engine turning so many more rpm on the same prop means it is happier with the fuel. Choose a different prop to make you happy, and let the engine tell you what it likes best.

Where I throttle the engine, the best response was with avgas. OS33GT may be happier with autogas at full revs, I get that, but I don't fly there....One thing certain, there is no singular solution to a gasoline set-up regardless of what pundits say. It's been and continues to be a great learning, enjoyable, fun trek......