RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   100 OCTANE aviation fuel in gasser (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11005338-100-octane-aviation-fuel-gasser.html)

comanche260c 03-18-2012 06:49 AM

100 OCTANE aviation fuel in gasser

I have a Quadra 75 and a zenoha 38 gasser and wondering if i can and should use aviation gas 100 octane in them.. I have a small plane ,and have access to the fuel.Will it harm or help the engine.No methonol in the aviation gas

VF84sluggo 03-18-2012 06:54 AM

RE: 100 OCTANE aviation fuel in gasser

My brother has been running 100LL in his weed eater, lawn mower, and electric generator for several years with no problems. Plus, AVGAS is muuuch less prone to going stale and gumming up the works than is MOGAS.

Some state concerns over the toxicity of the lead, but you probably suck in more toxicity running the gauntlet of smokers clustered outside the entrance at your office building or local WalMart than you would with the amount of AVGAS that would be encountered in small engine use.

Red B. 03-18-2012 11:03 AM

AVGAS 100(L) contains tetraethyllead which is a highly toxic substance. I see no real reason to use AVGAS in model aircraft applications.
Here in Europe we have been running our gas engines on unleaded fuel for ages with no problems.
It is strange that so much is written about gasoline problems in U.S. forums. This is in stark contrast to the situation over here, where this kind of discussions died out many years ago.

STUKA BARRY 03-18-2012 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Red B.

AVGAS 100(L) contains tetraethyllead which is a highly toxic substance. I see no real reason to use AVGAS in model aircraft applications.
Here in Europe we have been running our gas engines on unleaded fuel for ages with no problems.
It is strange that so much is written about gasoline problems in U.S. forums. This is in stark contrast to the situation over here, where this kind of discussions died out many years ago.
Some modelers are alergic to gasoline smell and AV gas is an alternative along with white gas (Coleman fuel). Performance wise, personally, I dont think its worth the extra $2-3.00 per gallon.

AJsToyz 03-18-2012 12:57 PM

Store my planes in the basement and with out gas there's no smell. :D well worth the 2.00 bucks a gallon extra.

aussiesteve 03-18-2012 02:30 PM

It depends totally on what oil you use, which Radio brand you use and what brand of vehicle you drive to take the planes to the field.

Fact is, there is no performance benefit in using Avgas. On some enigne brands, there is actually a performance loss (put an engine on a proper dyno as I have done and you will see it - XXX RPM on YYY prop doesn't cut it). There are also no "Long term reliabillity benefits of Avgas over Mogas for our engines. (Honestly, what you are running there isn't real high tech or high performance - just live with that fact).

If you don't want the smell of Mogas - Sure you can run avgas but it isn't worth going out of your way to get it (I know the OP already has it available but others don't).

AJsToyz 03-18-2012 03:09 PM

Steve,

I'm pretty lucky, no matter what way I take home I pass an airport. :D

comanche260c 03-18-2012 03:39 PM

IM ASKING THIS QUESTION BECOUSE IM THINKING AVGAS DOESNT HAVE THE ETHONOL IN IT THERE FOR WONT GUM UP THE CARB AS EASY. AV GAS DRIES RIGHT UP IF YOU GET IT ON HANDS.IHAVE A FULL SCALE PLANE SO ITS AT MY FINGER TIPS

aussiesteve 03-18-2012 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Steve,

I'm pretty lucky, no matter what way I take home I pass an airport. :D
I'm even luckier than that - I have a full sized runway on my property and 2 Avgas powered planes in the hanger there (EA300 and PA32RT). Along with Drums of 100LL to fill them with

I also have the benefit of an actual Engine brake dyno at my disposal for these engines.

I don't run Avgas in my model planes because Premium pump gas is a much better option for those (Including my BME's which are quite high compression and quite high performance). Premium pump gas gives a better power curve in them. ;)

The whole "Ethanol" argument is B/S nowadays. It applied a LONG time ago for a very short time. Modern Walbros do not have an issue with it.

However - IF the fuel smell is an issue - Avgas does smell nicer I guess. But you can also go to your local Candle making supply store and buy Candle scents to put in your fuel :)

Hey - it is a hobby after all, do whatever turns your crank I say :D

Pelle Gris 03-18-2012 04:29 PM

IsnĀ“t the AVGAS way too expensive to consider running in our gassers? Here in Denmark the price of AVGAS is at least 30-40% higher than that of regular MOGAS.
MOGAS: about 9$ a gallon.
AVGAS: about 12,50$ a gallon.

The only thing more expensive than AVGAS is Aspen pre-mixed gas, at 20,50 to 23,50$ a gallon. :-)

Thinking about these prices makes me glad I have a car with a tiny engine.....

mbinkley 03-18-2012 05:37 PM

Here is web site to help find ethanol free gas. Pure-gas.org
Hope it helps

tkg 03-18-2012 06:26 PM

AV gas.. runs hotter and makes less power. Doesn't smell as bad. Your choice

comanche260c 03-18-2012 06:35 PM

you say it runs hotter but will it idle diffrent? I started my new used quadra 75cc I got last week for first time with av gas and it seems it needs adjustments didnt quite idle smooth and quiton idle ..is that due to the av gass???????????

captinjohn 03-18-2012 06:44 PM

My choice is recreational fuel like for marine use. No alcohol in it....25-40cents more and well worth it. Use google to find where they sell it. Darn good in motorcycles too. You lose power with even 10% methanol acohol in you regular gas. Capt,n

captinjohn 03-18-2012 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: comanche260c

you say it runs hotter but will it idle diffrent? I started my new used quadra 75cc I got last week for first time with av gas and it seems it needs adjustments didnt quite idle smooth and quiton idle ..is that due to the av gass???????????
NO....ever type of engineI used AV gas in ,ran better. Do not let others BS you about that. If they had trouble it was the brand or mix of AV gas they used....or where they got it. Capt,n

OliverJacob 03-18-2012 07:44 PM

Is there any known problem using Avgas? I'd be happy to spend $2 more for the Gallon and get rid of the gas smell.

brenthampton79 03-18-2012 07:47 PM

I'm with steve on the 100ll argument, I would run what the manufacturer says to. I ran 100ll in a 2 stroke atv years ago due to the fact we have a 2000 gallon tank full of it, but soon learned it ruined the engine either due to the lead or something else. However it didn't have more performance due to the increased octane. Octane is an antiknock level not an energy boost. If you have a high compression engine then you need the higher octane but you get more performance due to the compression. I wouldn't run the 100ll in the engine unless it requires a leaded fuel which I'm going to guess it does not require lead since most modern engines require unleaded, there's a reason the engineers say this I figure in the manual.

Antique 03-18-2012 07:48 PM

you say it runs hotter but will it idle diffrent? I started my new used quadra 75cc I got last week for first time with av gas and it seems it needs adjustments didnt quite idle smooth and quit on idle .. is that due to the av gass???????????
Your problem is the carb diapharagms and settings, not the fuel...

comanche260c 03-18-2012 08:15 PM

ok  so who really knows the answer   will av gas hurt my motor in my quadra75 if I use av gas or not..is there anyone out here that has used av gas in there gassers for years  and it still runs good????  lets go by someone that put it thru the real test 

AJRCUSTOMCRAFTEDRC 03-18-2012 10:02 PM

wow i just don't get it ..

AJsToyz 03-19-2012 01:47 AM

That's it, it's a hobby!

As far as the running part goes, I don't really care. I'm not about to put avgass in my lawn mower, but I don't store the lawn mower under my bedroom.:D

And some of US? Actually have there own some what home made engines!;)

Andy

Mr_Grump 03-19-2012 04:03 AM

I've been using 100LL and a good synthetic oil for years at 40:1 and I run it in everything. No oder, evaporates quickly and with a good synthetic oil, you don't need a preservitive for long term storage. I use it in everything from an old G23 running hot in a gas heli to a 70cc twin. I also use the same mix in my weed eaters. I leave fuel in the weedeaters when the seasons done for winter then top them off and restart them in spring.

Is there a problem in store for me? Don't know but so far, I've very satisfied. I also know top IMAC competitor who uses it and he swears by it.

So... read all these posts and make your own decision. I'm happy.

WRK 03-19-2012 05:54 AM

AVGAS = more cost, a bit less power and less smell, more toxic.

Firepower R/C 03-19-2012 06:22 AM

I am not a fuel expert, but if you properly configure your engine to run on 100LL, i.e. raise the compression slightly, adjust the ignition curve and carb settings, it WILL produce more power. Like has been said already, 100LL allows higher compression without damage, and higher compression basically means more power. Plain and simple. That is why aviation piston engines use it... max power equals max safety & efficiency. The Aviation community has been struggling for years to come up with a substitute for 100LL, and would have gone to MOGAS long ago if there was any benefit. You can split hairs here, but this is just a generalization.

If you don't make changes to your powerplant, it is basically a waste... but I still use it sometimes because it is available to me.

Zeeb 03-19-2012 06:41 AM

IM ASKING THIS QUESTION BECOUSE IM THINKING AVGAS DOESNT HAVE THE ETHONOL IN IT THERE FOR WONT GUM UP THE CARB AS EASY. AV GAS DRIES RIGHT UP IF YOU GET IT ON HANDS.I HAVE A FULL SCALE PLANE SO ITS AT MY FINGER TIPS
Hmm.....

Typing in all caps is considered yelling on forums, I know you're probably frustrated with the lack of a clear answer but that's really because there are so many opinions and "experience" reports. I spent 30 years as a firefighter and one of the most common answers given by a victim of a fire about why he was doing what caused the fire; "I've always done it that way".....

That said I'm also a licensed A&P mechanic and that d*mn blue 100LL is possibly the worst thing that ever happened to full scale piston aircraft engines. 'Gotta burn more of it to keep the engine cool as it has much less lead than 100/130. Fouls the sparkplugs and the engines don't produce the same power especially the turbocharged versions.

While it's called "low lead", it still has a BUNCH more lead than any auto fuel.

I put some 100LL in a big Honda Goldwing one day to get me to the gas station and it was running like crap by the time I got there. When I got back and pulled the plugs they were all lead fouled.

I would NOT use it in my small air cooled gas engines because of my experience with the fuel, but if you want a fact to go by, DA will void your engine warranty if it's had AvGas run in it and they can tell when it's taken apart. So while it's not your engine brand, if DA doesn't like it in their engines that's certainly a valid recommendation in my book.... ;)