RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   New 15cc engine RCGF beam mount (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11020567-new-15cc-engine-rcgf-beam-mount.html)

psgugrad 03-29-2012 06:53 PM

New 15cc engine RCGF beam mount

I know it's new, but has anyone bought and run this engine yet?:

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=G1204332

rear carb, beam mount, looks just about perfect to me for a .60 size plane. I HATE standoffs like they have on the first 15cc from RCGF. I know that they work, but to me they just look totally Mickey Mouse. Ditto that carb adaptor on that JBA 15cc...you've got that huge gas carb-adaptor plate assy being held in place by a cinch bolt. Again, I'm sure it works but I just don't like it.

PS: am I the only one who thinks that this is about the smallest practical size an RC gas engine can be(right now)? The battery pack and ignition weigh the same as in a 50cc engine so to get much smaller than 15cc it seems that there will need to be some sort of advance in both batteries and electronics.

I can't wait to hear from anyone with experience with this engine as it looks like my next RC purchase

raydar 03-30-2012 01:15 AM

RE: New 15cc engine RCGF beam mount

Its a good little engine, and runs/idles well, is reliable and uses barely any fuel, I dont own one but have seen two run at the field. Downside is as you say at 15cc it is at the point where it is a bit heavy compared to glow power and it is not the strongest engine out there. For the right airframes where power to weight is not everythingand have enough wing to take the extra loadingit would be perfect.

If you have not bought a airframe yet and want to go gas I would skip the 15cc size and go straight to the 20 size engines, rcgf 20 or dle 20, and fit them in90 size airframesyou wont look back. Bags of power.

Andika 03-30-2012 01:51 AM

wonder why they upgrade this 15cc engine so many times...
it's now the version 4 because they already had a beam mount engine with a different carb a while ago...

http://www.modelmotor.pl/silnik-15-cm3-rcgf-15b.html
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10286864

http://s14.postimage.org/gs9pppar3/R...beam_mount.jpg

psgugrad 03-30-2012 05:12 AM

I already have a DLE 20cc in a 4 star 120. It's a good combo and the DLE 20 is a good motor, but I have to take all of my crap out of my business cargo van to haul it to the field. I'd like a .60 sizer to fit in my sedan...am thinking a trainer-type for aerial photography, absolute best power-weight not critical. if it runs like you say that's all I need to know. Thanks!!!

raydar 03-30-2012 01:01 PM

Ok I have only seen the first version, it seems they have lost the standoffs and shedded some weight,and found abit more power. This little motor looks more of a contender for some smaller airframes, if you buy this let us know how you get on, include some prop data if you can. I can see this motorin my hog bipe as with ignition and muffler it is only 100 grams heavier than a 91 fs and spins a bigger prop. By the time a smaller tank is fitted and if you use one battery (a123) it could be a contender.

[email protected] 05-01-2012 08:58 AM

i have there 15cc and it runs good have it on a 60 size space walker goes great iam waiting for the beam mout one to come out now

dirtybird 05-01-2012 12:23 PM

The one I bought ran a short time and seized. The end cap on the shaft came loose and contacted the back cover of the engine. According to a poster from Australia this is a common problem with this engine.

[email protected] 05-01-2012 12:42 PM

i hope mine goes a long my next engine will be a zenoha my friend has a 20cc zenoah and maybe 3 hrs on it i like it starts one flip he has it on a spacewalker 120

geeter 05-01-2012 02:44 PM

a friend had a rcgf 15 cc ,he now has a dle 20 in the same plane. the rcgf ran for 9 flights until the ign went out. sent it back. they fixed it and three flights later, same thing. he has to buy a xcell ign for it now. the ngh 17 cc engine is a good one, beam mount , avail at agape racing.com. check them out about 210.00......RON

AJsToyz 05-01-2012 02:59 PM

RCGF uses there very own custom copy of an RCexl ignition, I don't trust them. I like the set up of the NGH 17, but waiting to see how it holds up.

geeter 05-01-2012 06:03 PM

good because i might get one in the future. haven't seen much talk about that engine though are there threads on here about the GT -17......RON

AJsToyz 05-02-2012 02:25 AM

Ron,

This is all I could find for you.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

geeter 05-02-2012 05:12 AM

thanks AJ'S. check out the 22 cc mintor gas engine, made in the UK. it's at top dawg avaition.com. there is also a thread on this page about it.......RON

RBean 05-02-2012 05:41 AM

I have an RCGF 15 in a Graupner 60 size. (How and why I aquired the engine is another matter). Now that it is broken in the power is adequite, but could use more. It was turning a 14-6 MA prop 10,000 rpm. Thought that was too much, probably over 11,000 unloaded in the air so went to 14-8. It turns 8,300 rpm. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't. DLE 20 is about the same weight and only slightly larger dimentions, with goobs more power.

AJsToyz 05-02-2012 06:05 AM

I was going to go with a DLE 20 but the Mintor came out, mine is on the truck some where my house and Chicago as we speak.;)

dirtybird 05-02-2012 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: RBean

I have an RCGF 15 in a Graupner 60 size. (How and why I aquired the engine is another matter). Now that it is broken in the power is adequite, but could use more. It was turning a 14-6 MA prop 10,000 rpm. Thought that was too much, probably over 11,000 unloaded in the air so went to 14-8. It turns 8,300 rpm. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't. DLE 20 is about the same weight and only slightly larger dimentions, with goobs more power.
Attached are pictures of what has happened to mine.
They sit in upload for 15 minutes so I gave up -sorry

dirtybird 05-02-2012 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK I uploaded the pics
Look closely at the crank pin and see how it has moved toward the rear cover almost a quarter inch. Its a wonder it didn't break off.

AJsToyz 05-02-2012 04:45 PM

Was that a HobbyKing engine, or did you buy it locally?

dirtybird 05-02-2012 07:41 PM

Its not a Hobbyking clone. It came with a warrantee card and a serial no. The Hobbyking clone is called an RCG.
I bought it locally from Superstition Hobbies who got it from SW Aerovista Hobbies.

dirtybird 05-04-2012 04:59 AM

Good news.
I got an email from the factory to send it to SW Aerovista Hobbies and they will put a new crankshaft in it.

[email protected] 05-13-2012 05:18 AM

I HAVE THE 15CC IT SURE IS NICE STARTS EASY IDLES NICE I USE IT IN MY SPACE WALKER JUST DONT LIKE THE MUFFLER> BUT LIKE I SAID VERY NICE

[email protected] 05-13-2012 05:20 AM

UPGRADES JUST LIKE CARS TRYING TO MAKE THEM BETTER

dirtybird 05-13-2012 02:43 PM

I just got the following email from the RCGF service center:

This is Joe Nelson from RCGF Service Center USA. Upon disassembly and inspection of your brand new RCGF 15cc beam mount SN# "DKU111025159T" I did find the crank pin had come out of the crank lobe and struck the back plate of the engine. When I inspected the crank lobe closely I found that it had a crack in it that allowed the pin to back out of the crank lobe. There is no way to tell if it was cracked when you bought your engine new.

RCGF is an upstanding company that manufactures the # 1 best quality small gas engines imported into the USA today. We at RCGF want your gas engine experience to be the best with our products. We will do what ever is necessary to continue to earn your business and keep you as a happy RCGF customer.

Because your engine has less then 5 minutes of run time on it, I am proud as the USA Service Center representative to offer you, on behalf of RCGF, a Brand New replacement engine. This new replacement engine will carry the same 2 year limited factory warranty. I will be sending your new replacement engine back to you tomorrow.

Let me know if we can do anything else and please keep RCGF engines in mind for your next RC project.

They really do stand behind their product.

gringopete 05-14-2012 05:46 AM

Excellent Joe

edge540purple 07-17-2012 06:45 PM

I had the same thing happen to one of my customers who bought three. The crank pin has come lose and seized on the back plate after only 15 minutes running, also replaced it with a new engine, customer happy.

Will contact Catherine and advise of a potential problem...

Mario