RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   DLE 20 choke linkage? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11022345-dle-20-choke-linkage.html)

vertical grimmace 03-31-2012 07:23 AM

DLE 20 choke linkage?

So how are you guys configuring your choke on this engine? I am having a hard time getting mine setup in a way that I can get to work well.

pe reivers 03-31-2012 08:03 AM

RE: DLE 20 choke linkage?

a simple push-pull rod through the firewall will do, connected to a servo, or a crank instead of a servo. The crank can be operated from the fuselage side.

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

So how are you guys configuring your choke on this engine? I am having a hard time getting mine setup in a way that I can get to work well.

w8ye 03-31-2012 08:55 AM

All the ones I've seen on cowled models were a simple wire that could be reached from a front air inlet opening of the cowl.

TimBle 03-31-2012 09:01 AM

I run a simple Golden Rod from the linkage, through the firewall and through the side of the fuselage for better mechanical advantage.<div>Its simple, light and reliable.</div>

unclecrash 03-31-2012 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

All the ones I've seen on cowled models were a simple wire that could be reached from a front air inlet opening of the cowl.

+1 it works great on my butcherbird just ran it outside waiting for me to run it again;)

vertical grimmace 04-01-2012 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: TimBle

I run a simple Golden Rod from the linkage, through the firewall and through the side of the fuselage for better mechanical advantage.<div>Its simple, light and reliable.</div>
I really like this idea. The airplane I have this engine installed on is a smallish FW 190. The engine itself gets in the way of running it forward, but I never thought of using a supported cable. This creates more options. Thanks for the ideas guys

w8ye 04-01-2012 09:39 AM

I've seen people use the Golden Rod outer sheath supported here and there and run a wire inside it to the choke lever. Just and loop or "L" bend where you grab it with your fingers

TimBle 04-01-2012 02:28 PM

I use a Dubro threaded ball end into the plastic inner sheath. No L bends or other unsightly things protruding out into the airstream.

ec121 04-02-2012 11:40 AM

I use a nyrod (turned/curved 90deg to make some friction) throught the side of the fuse. I put a servo screw in the end to pull on. When it is set right, the screw head is flush with the fuse when the choke is off. Almost looks like a cowl screw, etc. Sometimes a bellcrank is needed.

unclecrash 04-02-2012 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: TimBle

I really like this idea. The airplane I have this engine installed on is a smallish FW 190. The engine itself gets in the way of running it forward, but I never thought of using a supported cable. This creates more options. Thanks for the ideas guys

Mine is a 70 in fw 190 and I had no problem running it foward. I didn't even extend the arm. I hooke a ball link to the arm and nyrod and it just clears the engine. A extended arm would make it that more easy.

RBean 04-02-2012 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a guide from aluminum and ran the choke control out front. Didn't alter the choke arm, just used a metal clevis with the metal clip to keep it closed. You hardly notice the wiring protruding out the cowling. If you have a radial engine cowl its easier.

RBean 04-02-2012 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture with the cowl on. Can hardly see the choke wire.

unclecrash 04-02-2012 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: RBean

I made a guide from aluminum and ran the choke control out front. Didn't alter the choke arm, just used a metal clevis with the metal clip to keep it closed. You hardly notice the wiring protruding out the cowling. If you have a radial engine cowl its easier.
Basically the same setup I did. And if I were to put the radial engine in it could be hidden like yours.

unclecrash 04-02-2012 07:10 PM

RBean whats the deal with your plug ? It looks like you are getting blowby between the ceramic and steel in the pics, could just be residue from oil.

TimBle 04-02-2012 11:31 PM

ORIGINAL: RBean

IF the OP wishes to follow this set up I would offer caution: After choking ensure that the Ignition is OFF.

Reaching into the prop arc is always a dangerous activity.
<br type="_moz" />

fritter 12-21-2016 12:42 AM

Hello guys, new to DLE and ran in a brand new 20 engine today. Got it to pop with choke closed, opened the choke started and stopped immediately. Did this a few times and decided to leave the choke not fully open. Started beautifully ran up and down, idle good etc. As soon as I opened the choke fully the engine stopped again. Is this just a running in thing, or is it needle setting?

Truckracer 12-21-2016 09:18 AM

Open the needles! Default Walbro carb settings usually start around 1 1/2 turns out for both needles and most engines will at least run at that setting. Adjust from there as needed.