RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   New DLE 35 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11148673-new-dle-35-a.html)

RC_AVIGATOR 04-12-2013 12:09 PM

RE: New DLE 35

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: RC_AVIGATOR

So where did you buy your motor?
Tower Hobbies...with the super saver coupon, it cost $300 with free shipping. Reasonable and probably better than most. The 10$ membership has more than paid for itself over the past 12 months. It's worth a good look if one is planning to buy some equipment in a year's span.

If any one is interested, I have a NIB muffler for the DLE35RA. I don't use the stock units since I use pipes and cans on my set-ups. Contact me direct to my email addy below.

In fact I am currently evaluating several canisters for Ed Skorepa of ES Composites. These are gorgeous carbon canisters, very very quiet. So far none have been tuned canisters meaning no jump in rpm was noted. But the R&D has just started.

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">I just finally got mine in from Tower about 2 weeks ago at which time it had been on backorder w/ a $60 off membership price - this had been on backorder since around Christmas .Really could not figure out why Tower did not have them in and everyone else did?? Didn't need the motor right away and could wait for the backorder ( 90+ days).</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">So when did you get yours without the "plastic tubes" and is that the one you will part with?</div>

crankpin 04-12-2013 12:45 PM

Just received my DLE35 today, same muffler. Carb has DL30 in it.

Crank

MTK 04-12-2013 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: RC_AVIGATOR

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">So when did you get yours without the "plastic tubes" and is that the one you will part with?</div>
Exactly, noPTFE tubes. The aluminum pipes appear brazed or soldered, and they are around 3" long.

BUT the PTFE tubes will work fine. There's no need for the clunky hose clamps tho. A pair of small 4-40 button heads on the stubs will retain the PTFE tube with a simple tie wrap.

One thing folks will notice is that with use, PTFE will turn bluish grey. That's nothing to worry about. Exhaust oil (black) coats the inside of the tubes. Light is mostly absorbed by the black residue but the blue reflects and that's what you see

Whistling Death 04-13-2013 02:42 PM

Been conferring with Denny a B&B about making a Bennett muffler for the 35RA. I want to use one of them because it has a smaller profile than the stock muffler. Should be on the market soon.

djstar39 04-13-2013 04:23 PM

That would be great! Love B&B! About 2 hours from me here in Indiana.

Dave

airraptor 04-13-2013 05:51 PM

i havent ran mine yet but i dont like how close the muffler is to the back of the engine. might as well not have any cooling fins there unless you baffle the engine so that the air flows from one side to the other ( in the direction of a side exhaust).

Whistling Death 04-13-2013 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: airraptor

i havent ran mine yet but i dont like how close the muffler is to the back of the engine. might as well not have any cooling fins there unless you baffle the engine so that the air flows from one side to the other ( in the direction of a side exhaust).
Another reason to look into a B&B muffler.

rcguy59 04-13-2013 05:59 PM

I have been running a DLE 35RA longer than anyone outside of VVRC and I have yet to experience ANY overheating issues. Mine is in a warbird and spends 95% of it's time at full throttle. There was also concern about the carb being so close to the muffler. Another non-event. Just run it and you'll see why so many of us like this engine so much.

airraptor 04-13-2013 09:20 PM

rc guy that may be true but i bet the front of the cylinder is around 200 degrees and the the back of the cylinder near the muffler is 400. Even if 300 what this means is the cylinder is expanding at different rates and causes the cylinder to go out of round and loose some rpm. now some may never know the power lost but there is power to be gained by better cooling. Thats all I saying. i will run my with the Macs header and custom mufflers

Michel 04-14-2013 01:55 AM

rc guy that may be true but i bet the front of the cylinder is around 200 degrees and the the back of the cylinder near the muffler is 400. Even if 300 what this means is the cylinder is expanding at different rates and causes the cylinder to go out of round and loose some rpm. now some may never know the power lost but there is power to be gained by better cooling. Thats all I saying. i will run my with the Macs header and custom mufflers

Hi
You maybe right ,.............................. but ,.... he,s having fun , and not complicating things . It,s a hobby ,............ not NASA .

Michel

skillet92 04-14-2013 04:48 AM

My thinking is this. How many wrap around mufflers are we installing in very tight cowls with little room against the firewall. Yet we still manage to cool them ok. I have mine installed in a h9 150 mustang and so far have not seen any major heating problems. Summer is fast approaching so I will know about cooling real soon.

airraptor 04-14-2013 07:00 AM

I am always looking for more power lol. yes the stock set up cools it OK. most of the wrap around mufflers are round and not square like this miffler. if you look at air will flow around the cylinder you will see the air is stagnating inbetween the and just above the muffler bolts.

ameyam 04-14-2013 07:58 AM

Hi,
how does the power of the dle 35 compare to the is gt33?
Ameyam

airborne2.4 04-15-2013 09:45 AM

Do you guys think we'll soon see a DLE 35 with an Electric starter:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH_Je...ture=endscreen

MTK 04-15-2013 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: ameyam

Hi,
how does the power of the dle 35 compare to the is gt33?
Ameyam
Turns smaller props at same or lower rpms. The 35 is less powerful.

Electric airborne starters? Geez, why? The extra equipment the model will need to carry is heavy. Besides the DLE35 starts so easy why even think about electric starters?

On the other hand, hands off starts add lots of "BLING" and some guys really like that aspect of modeling, maybe more than the flying

airraptor 04-15-2013 10:54 AM

MTK can you post numbers o nthe muffler for both engines. You have put a lot of time in the 33. i would think you would like the 35 over the 33 for less weight and easier exhaust set up (cleaner plane profile).

MTK 04-15-2013 12:35 PM

MTK can you post numbers o nthe muffler for both engines. You have put a lot of time in the 33. i would think you would like the 35 over the 33 for less weight and easier exhaust set up (cleaner plane profile).
Raptor,

Indeed I love the rear exhaust config of the 35.....Weight difference is negligible in my set-up

But powerwise it isn't that close to the 33 at throttle settings that I want to use. The mid range of the OS33 is really remarkable while the mid range of the DLE35 struggles. That's engine design in my view. OS has very interesting porting plus almost 10% longer stroke which enables the mid range and large load capacity

I use 20 x 10.5 APCs on the 33 and get around 7500 rpm on Avgas and about 7800 on premium auto gas. In contrast the 35 is being run with first a 19x10 (around 7000) and now an 18.5 x 9.5 (around 7200). But I'll tellya that when I am at mid throttle and turn a vertical corner, the 33 with the big load up front just keeps chugging and pulling like a truck on low gear climbing a hill. It's just like a YS 4 stroke big block 175.

Do the same with the 35 and it chokes, needing a throttle bump. To be fair, the DLE really needs another2 gallonsor so to be broken in more fully; has just over 1 gallon through it so far. It also has a Bowman ring in it

Then it's the plane weight each is hauling. The 33 is hauling an 11# 5 oz pattern model and the 35 is hauling a 10# 6 oz pattern plane, so one would expect the lighter plane to zip with greater authority. Not so.....due to the prop difference
Lots more thrust with the bigger prop disc.

I use a piped set-up on the 33 GT and a canister on the DLE35 so exhausts are not exactly the same as yet. I have a pipe coming for the DLE this week.

The OS's tuned exhaust set-up is a little more involved, true that. The DLE's exhaust set-up is simpler, straight back

SpinnerRow 04-15-2013 12:52 PM

I use a piped set-up on the 33 GT and a canister on the DLE35 so exhausts are not exactly the same as yet. I have a pipe coming for the DLE this week.
HUGE difference between a Canister and a pipe! 7-800RPM probably.

rcguy59 04-15-2013 03:46 PM

Airborne2.4: It's being looked at. That's all I can say for now.

MTK 04-15-2013 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

HUGE difference between a Canister and a pipe! 7-800RPM probably.
I don't think so but I'll see for myself. If I find something worth posting, I'll post

airraptor 04-15-2013 09:12 PM

I have a ES carbon pipe for my 55 and only saw about 500 gain over the stock muffler on a 23x8 prop. The ES carbon pipe to me really isnt a pipe perse but a semi tuned muffler. I think a real tuned pipe would see even better gains on the 33 and 35 but it would be around 5 inches across and not fit in many planes lol

Anyway MTK not knocking the 33 just wanted to see numbers on how close or far off it was. the longer stroke really helps in the torque area.

now if the OS 33 would make a rear exhaust and use a AAC sleeve then would be an awesome engine.

SpinnerRow 04-16-2013 06:03 AM

I have a ES carbon pipe for my 55 and only saw about 500 gain over the stock muffler on a 23x8 prop. The ES carbon pipe to me really isnt a pipe perse but a semi tuned muffler. I think a real tuned pipe would see even better gains on the 33 and 35 but it would be around 5 inches across and not fit in many planes lol

Anyway MTK not knocking the 33 just wanted to see numbers on how close or far off it was. the longer stroke really helps in the torque area.

now if the OS 33 would make a rear exhaust and use a AAC sleeve then would be an awesome engine.
I get 8-900rpm over the stock muffler with an ES Carbon pipe on a DLE 20.

Regarding the OS 33..... If I could afford one of those, I'd have one as well. They sound like real torque monsters.

MTK 04-16-2013 08:00 AM

Regarding the OS 33..... If I could afford one of those, I'd have one as well. They sound like real torque monsters.
On affordability. I use the Tower Super Saver, $60 on items over 300. That brings the price down to $360 with free shipping usually. That ain't bad.... I have 4 of 'em. It's the only one I have multiples of and the first one I paid full price for; it was worth it!

Indiomike 04-16-2013 09:00 AM

On affordability. I use the Tower Super Saver, $60 on items over 300. That brings the price down to $360 with free shipping usually. That ain't bad.... I have 4 of 'em. It's the only one I have multiples of and the first one I paid full price for; it was worth it!
On a side note, I'm curious. I used to get $60 off on a $300 purchase but for the last couple of years Tower reduced the discount to $50 on a $300 purchase. Are you getting the $60 off or was that a mistake.

Mike

airborne2.4 04-16-2013 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

Airborne2.4: It's being looked at. That's all I can say for now.

Sounds good!:) Maybe it'll work in the Hangar 9 Cirrus SR22T;)