RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Saito FG57 Fourstroke (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11216653-saito-fg57-fourstroke.html)

Rudolph Hart 10-04-2012 05:21 AM

RE: Saito FG57 Fourstroke

Lunatics ain't bad company friend,specially with bathurst coming up:)

Rudolph Hart 10-04-2012 05:27 AM

Hi ernie thats a big thing to consider am doing it now.I want to make sure that there is a lot of incoming air directed over the exhaust side of the engine been reading about that a lot.Anyone with pics is welcome to post them,will do the same with mine next week if i can get the bloody thing to work:)

Ernie Misner 10-04-2012 11:41 AM

Hey pope, what planes are your mintors going on? I'll need a home for my DLE 20cc.

Thanks, Ernie

SrTelemaster150 10-04-2012 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

How do they keep the Saito gassers from running too hot on gasoline? Different valve seats or? Doesn't gas run hotter?

Thanks, Ernie

My testing W/glow ignition/glow fuel, CDI ignition/glow fuel & CDI ignition/E85 on an FA150 showed the following.

Cylinder Head Temperature between the rocker covers @ the rear:

CDI/GF +20*F from GI/GF + 150 RPM W/18X8 prop

CDI/E-85 +60*F from CDI/GF - 350 RPM W/18X8 Prop

CDI/E-85 +80*F from GI/GF -200 RPM W/18X8 prop.

I woudld expect gasoline to run even hotter than E-85

Ernie Misner 10-04-2012 01:53 PM

Thanks for the great data. E85 is ethanol free 85 octane gas? From what source?

Thanks again, Ernie

SrTelemaster150 10-04-2012 03:07 PM

Thanks for the great data. E85 is ethanol free 85 octane gas? From what source?

Thanks again, Ernie

E-85 is 85% ethanol 15% gasoline.

You can [link=http://find.mapmuse.com/interest/ethanol85]FIND E-85 STATIONS HERE.[/link]

It is higher octane & will tolerate higher compression & more spark advance. It does require about 30% more delivery volume than straight gasoline. An engine can be tuned for more HP on E-85 over gasoline if the compression ratio is high enough to take advantage of the octane.

the pope 10-04-2012 03:39 PM

Hey pope, what planes are your mintors going on? I'll need a home for my DLE 20cc.

Thanks, Ernie
Howdy Ernie , one is going in a phoneix katana and the other in a SF 60 size trainer. With the trainer Ive moved the fire wall back about an inch and with the battery and servos moved to the rear no added weight will need to be added.
I must say the quality of the last couple of phoneix arfs Ive bought have been very good, theyve lifted their game alot . Cheers the pope

MKnutson 10-07-2012 07:23 PM

Just a quick update to the percieved bearing problem..... the bearing is fine, and the notchy feel is coming from the way the straight cut cam gears mesh with the crank gear. All is fine and it runs like a top!

By the way, what planes are all you guys using this engine (FG57T), on. Mine is currently on a Great Planes Ultimate bipe 160.

Mark.

Rudolph Hart 10-08-2012 03:50 AM

Good news mate,if you are really fussy they can scare you sometimes eh?

Good question mines in a blackhorse models edge 540 90".How does it fly your gp160?

affas 10-08-2012 03:53 AM

Mine is in a well used Carden Yak 54 for breaking in and are then going into my almost finished SisT FW 190

kwik 10-08-2012 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is used in an ESM 50cc Corsair.

I got the replacement ignition, 2 off them, free of charge from Advantage Hobby.

Here are some pictures, in case anyone is interested. They seem to be an exact copy of the original ignition, I am afraid.

You can see the RcExl logo on the third picture from left.(Lower right corner.)

You can see that feeble spring in the fourth picture, in the center.

So, this is the third ignition for this engine;

-First the original, similar to this one.
-Secondly the wrong version.
-And thirdly this set.

j lauria 10-08-2012 05:05 PM

I have just installed a Saito FG57 Twin in my 1/3 scale Ercoupe replacing a Fugi 63. I made the change in the hope of reducing vibration which was effecting my twin vertical stabs. The engine started very easily with my large electric starter and ran well on a rich setting for about one tank of fuel. I am using the reccomended 20:1 mix with Stihl Ultra oil. The exhaust is quite messy and black. Using a 22by10 prop the engine appears to have plenty of power. I am wondering if I can get rid of some of the exhaust mess by leaning it out after break in or by using another oil.

The vibration particularly at lower throttle settings appears to be less than the Fugi 63. The sound is very appealing.

MKnutson 10-08-2012 07:30 PM

Old Fart,
It flies my gp160 ultimate very well!
No real mods to the plane to get CG right. Smaller tank mounted aft, and radio battery mounted between wing and tail.
It flies real smooth.
I'm thinking about getting a large Decathlon later on for it.

Mark.

Rudolph Hart 10-09-2012 03:59 AM

Me too plus a spare,i reckon i'll crash the first one cause it sounds so good:)

Rudolph Hart 10-09-2012 04:03 AM

ORIGINAL: kwik

I got the replacement ignition, 2 off them, free of charge from Advantage Hobby.

Here are some pictures, in case anyone is interested. They seem to be an exact copy of the original ignition, I am afraid.

-And thirdly this set.

Jeez mate don't half mean to be rude but whatya *****in at?? ignition systems for free which you don't seem that greatfull for and don't acknowledge some backup id t6he way i read it,apoligies if i went down the wrong track there.

Rudolph Hart 10-09-2012 04:16 AM

Hi j i like your descriptive powers when you explain how your engine is going so far.Swinging the benchmark 22x10 got 6500 easy then i overloaded it with a 24x10.The reason was the right cylinder ring would'nt seat and now the same black goo is coming out of both pipes the same although the right pot seems to run a fraction leaner.Had to run it hotter at full throttle than i liked and rich as well.I know the ercouple beautiful looking aeroplane.Running klots200 syn in mine @20.1.Hav'nt touched the low speed needle yet.

kwik 10-09-2012 08:22 AM

Old Fart, I bought the second ignitions for $222 x 2 . But they were the wrong type.

The third set of ignitions ( its 2 of them) are free replacements for the second replacement.

So, yes, I am happy with that, but only mildly overjoyed.:D

SrTelemaster150 10-09-2012 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

ORIGINAL: kwik

-And thirdly this set.

Jeez mate don't half mean to be rude but whatya *****in at?? ignition systems for free which you don't seem that greatfull for and don't acknowledge some backup id t6he way i read it,apoligies if i went down the wrong track there.

I think he had bad experineces W/the replacement EI systems too.

JamesPool 10-09-2012 08:02 PM

Hello all: <div></div><div>I know this has been discussed, but perhaps someone could point it out to me or help me out. I'm breaking in my57t and one of the cylinders is dumping heavy black oil out of it. My white wing on my t-28 was black!! Anyway, I have about 1.5 tanks though it and I've been running it between 2 and 4.3k rpm. Note. I'm running it very rich. Probably 6.5 turn and +1 turn above factory on the low end. </div><div></div><div>Other than the oil and that it's rich, it runs and starts on the first flip! </div><div>
Here's my setup.
<span style="background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11250541</span>
</div><div>Thanks for the help. </div><div>James.</div>

Ernie Misner 10-09-2012 08:10 PM

What kind of oil are you running? No loose or vibration muffler or header pipes, right? They used to use a black assembly grease sometimes but I don't know if that would show up coming out of the exhaust so much. We do get some black residue when something is worn or wearing inside the engine or when they are simply breaking in.

Ernie Misner

JamesPool 10-09-2012 08:19 PM

I'm running klotz synthetic with castor. Yes all coupling are tight. I do get spit out of the other cylinder, but about 1% of what the other is producing.

<br type="_moz" />

Ernie Misner 10-09-2012 08:42 PM

Seems like that could be worrisome coming out of one cylinder. Try removing one plug at a time and comparing compression on the two jugs.

kwik 10-09-2012 10:04 PM

If you mean its coming out in the exhaust, then mine has done that all the time, too. And many others has mentioned it.

The first youtube video I found of it running showed us the case by holding white paper under the exhaust.

One got blackened quickly, the other not.

Here the problem is gone, after 4000 cc ( Thats 40 litres ! ) gasoline running through it, he says;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or0zOk670H4

His videos can be found by searching for

herrisonwang FG-57

on youtube.

For Nudgers videos on FG-57, search for ;

66nudger FG 57

For those interested, you can find my FG-57 videos by searching for

wikeroy FG-57

on youtube.

Mine still spits oil on one cylinder, and thats after 45 flights.

Rudolph Hart 10-10-2012 04:44 AM

James i think kwik is talking about "supermontanamike's you tube vids,please watch if you have time.It's all about his experiences flying an aeroworks supercub with the fg57 and he does it so well,enjoyable to watch.You will notice he gets just as nervous as we do when you first fire this engine up.

Sooner or later i had to throttle it up and get it hot enough to avoid that tenative first stage "oh my God nothing is coming out of the other pipe" syndrome,good luck with your's mate:)

sharam 10-10-2012 07:26 AM

Hi,

The break-in procedure outlined in the FG-57 manual is quite unusual. Did you guys follow those steps?