RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Timing on DLE20 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11234669-timing-dle20.html)

oldtyme 09-20-2012 08:42 AM

Timing on DLE20

I know this is probably covered numerous times somewhere but I want to ask the simplest way to time a DLE20. I haven't tried to use it yet and I have bought 2 engines. I am considering buying either an ignition module from a DLE30 or a DLE55 to prevent the notorious #4 issue. I don't know how to re-time/time these little engines so I am looking for the basic way to do it. I have read that the engine can be made to run with it's supplied ignition module so I'm just pondering the best way for ME to go.

Thanks,
Andy

bgw45 09-20-2012 09:09 AM

RE: Timing on DLE20

OT, ignore the #4 concerns till they become an issue for you. I have worked with several 20s at my home field and none of the guys have been concerned with the advance issue. Tune it, fly it and enjoy it.

karolh 09-20-2012 10:07 AM

Ditto that, as the guys at my field have no problem running theirs.

Karol

ahicks 09-20-2012 11:34 AM

X3!!

w8ye 09-20-2012 12:09 PM

Center the sensor on the crankcase casting seam and go fly.

Indiomike 09-20-2012 12:35 PM

w8ye

I'm looking at my DLE20 from the front and with the engine inverted. I see that the sensor is centered on the casing seam. At that position, how many degrees BTDC is that? If I should ever want to go with a standard RCEXL ignition and set the timing to 28 degrees BTDC, how far to the right (in mm's) would I need to move the sensor to get it there. Not having a degree wheel and not worried if timing is +/- off a couple of degrees from 28 degrees.

Mike

karolh 09-20-2012 01:29 PM

The difference between a #4 RC exl ignition and a std. one is not in the mounting position of the sensor on the case but rather in the electronic makeup inside the ignition. So if you ever need to change your ignition just get a standard unit and bolt the sensor on using the existing mounting holes and you will be good to go.

Karol

Indiomike 09-20-2012 01:53 PM

karolh

I think I read somewhere that the timing was factory set somewhere around 44 degrees BTDC on DLE20. Yes, I understand that the #4 ignition has a advance curve unlike the standard RCEXL unit. Are you saying that the sensor should be mounted in the same location whether you have a #4 or standard ignition?

Now I remember. On Wrongway RC site, he states that if you replace the #4 ignition with a standard one such as the DLE55 has, you have to adjust the timing location to 28 degrees BTDC. Now, if the sensor is at 28 degrees when centered on the casing line, all is well. But, if it is something else, then it has to be shifted one way or the other. Unless I don't understand timing, timing is adjusted by moving the sensor left or right by loosening the two screws and sliding the sensor left or right.

Can you or someone tell me how many degrees BTDC is the sensor when centered on the engine casing line?
Thanks
Mike

oldtyme 09-20-2012 02:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Indiomike

karolh

I think I read somewhere that the timing was factory set somewhere around 44 degrees BTDC on DLE20. Yes, I understand that the #4 ignition has a advance curve unlike the standard RCEXL unit. Are you saying that the sensor should be mounted in the same location whether you have a #4 or standard ignition?

Now I remember. On Wrongway RC site, he states that if you replace the #4 ignition with a standard one such as the DLE55 has, you have to adjust the timing location to 28 degrees BTDC. Now, if the sensor is at 28 degrees when centered on the casing line, all is well. But, if it is something else, then it has to be shifted one way or the other. Unless I don't understand timing, timing is adjusted by moving the sensor left or right by loosening the two screws and sliding the sensor left or right.

Can you or someone tell me how many degrees BTDC is the sensor when centered on the engine casing line?
Thanks
Mike

Mike..........that's exactly what I was asking on my original post and I don't have an angle wheel or anything else like that.

All Day Dan 09-20-2012 02:57 PM

Follow this video. Dan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXFpxWg7vY

w8ye 09-20-2012 03:40 PM

The ignition is not set at 40 or 44 degrees from the factory. That was some nerd at Tower that said that. He measured the timing on a degree wheel but turned the crankshaft the opposite direction of rotation.

As the spark plug fires when the magnet leaves the sensor, he was a whole sensor width off.

I measured my DLE 20 and it is around 32 degrees with the sensor on the casting seam. They run OK in that position with either the #4 ignition or a standard one.

So if you get another ignition unit, just leave the orginal sensor alone and plug it into your new ignition unit if you are not good with timing.

w8ye 09-20-2012 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the degree wheel that Max uses. Just print it out and glue it to a piece of poster board, aluminum, acylic, or plywood.

Make sure you use the icon at the lower right and get the enlargable image to full size if you are using the icon.

Here I made it a little bigger so you can see what it looks like. Just right click and save the image then print it out.
http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...88/Da83175.jpg

oldtyme 09-20-2012 03:47 PM

Thanks W8ye..............that makes it simple enough for me!!

Also..........why do you think that the DLE55 ignition module.....which is what I intend to buy if any........is only $74 and the DLE20 is $89??????

RiverLarry 09-20-2012 04:39 PM

Just order a RCEXL cost $54.95 and comes with a free tester and you will never look back !!!!

call 678 372 7697 R/L

Indiomike 09-20-2012 05:16 PM

w8ye

Thanks for that. Knowing the timing is 32 degrees with the sensor centered is what I was looking for.

oldtyme

You can get the DLE55 ignition at a much better price than you quoted at either Wrongway RC or MileHigh RC.

Mike

w8ye 09-20-2012 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

Thanks W8ye..............that makes it simple enough for me!!

Also..........why do you think that the DLE55 ignition module.....which is what I intend to buy if any........is only $74 and the DLE20 is $89??????
I figure their stock of ignitions for the DLE 20 is newer and reflects the new price?

karolh 09-20-2012 07:46 PM

I would much prefer to buy a RC exl ignition as a replacement than another a DLE one.

Karol

ahicks 09-21-2012 04:42 AM

I agree Karol, but that's not going to happen until my OEM (#4) module dies for some reason?

Also, wanted to add that I would shop that price around myself. If you take the # 3 and 4 modules out of the picture, the rest of the Rcexl modules with spark plug boots that fit the CM-6 plug are the same. There's nothing special about them, and you can buy them anywhere - for less than 50.00 as a rule. Sometimes much less? They'll all work fine on the 20 or 30cc DLEs.

raptureboy 09-21-2012 05:26 AM

Why create a problem that doesn't exist? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...used_smile.gifOnce you break the engine in it's not a problem, I have 3 on the original ignitions and they work fine. It's all in the tuning.

Mikecam 09-25-2012 11:09 PM

Works on my DLE 55 for $24

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10996

Ernie Misner 09-27-2012 09:55 PM

Hi guys, if you set the timing at 32 degrees or whatever sitting on the bench, when the engine gets up to top rpms doesn't the built in advance curve actually advance the timing more than that? How much?

Thanks, Ernie Misner

w8ye 09-27-2012 10:18 PM

The RCEXL ignition retards from your setting at idle to around 4 - 6 degrees and by somewhere above 4000 it is at your full advane of 28 - 32 degrees

Ernie Misner 09-28-2012 03:46 PM

Ahhhh thanks Jim, so you are actually setting it for high speed although the engine isn't even running. Amazing.

Thanks, Ernie

w8ye 09-28-2012 04:33 PM

Setting still the timing is at full advance. When you flip the prop the timing goes to its minumum value.

With the engine running faster and faster, the timing eventually gets to full advance up around 4500 rpm.

ahicks 09-28-2012 04:45 PM

The DLE 20 goes to full advance in a single leap, down closer to 2500 rpm. That's the basis of the issue with it if there is one, noticed more often on it's way down as it retards. The standard Rcexl module, like the one used on the 55, does it in a few steps, a REAL curve, not a single step/on-off switch kind of thing, and it does it at a higher rpm where the chances of it being noticable are slim to none. Not sure what rpm that one's "all in" at. Could be the 4500 your thinking, dunno. -Al